What is PhD Forensic Science?
PhD Forensic Science is a research-based course whose duration may range from 2 to 5 years. The course is taught in quite a few top colleges in India. The course focuses on the collection of physical evidence which would reveal the original cause of death.
Go through the full list of Top PhD Forensic Science colleges in India.
The candidates who wish to study PhD Forensic Science must hold a postgraduate degree in a relevant discipline. The eligibility criteria may vary according to the rules and regulations of the university.
In most cases, admission to PhD Forensic Science is mostly done on the basis of the score of the candidate in the entrance test and his/her performance in the personal interview.
PhD Forensic Science can be studied in quite a few colleges in India. Here, we have listed
some of the best colleges which offer a PhD Forensic Science:
|NIRF Engineering Ranking 2020||College Name||Admission Process||Average Fee||Average Placement Salary|
|32||Amity University, Noida||Entrance test + Personal Interview||INR 1,00,000||INR 3,50,000|
|72||Panjab University, Chandigarh||Entrance test + Personal Interview||INR 11,600||INR 3,40,000|
|84||Chandigarh University, Chandigarh||Entrance test + Personal Interview||INR 70,000||INR 5,96,000|
|250-300||Galgotias University, Greater Noida||Entrance test + Personal Interview||INR 70,000||INR 3,35,000|
|NP||Indira Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, Patna||Entrance test + Personal Interview||INR 20,000||INR 4,00,000|
PhD Forensic Science is mainly meant for those students who wish to study the cause of death of human beings who die an unnatural death. Some of the subjects taught in this course are Ethics and Research Methods in Forensic Science, Forensic and Information Technology, Introduction to Forensic Chemistry, etc.
The average tuition fee required to pursue this course is INR 48,000 to 1,60,000. After completing the course, the students may become a successful researcher in their field. They also have the opportunity to work in the medical sector.
The average salary earned by the PhD Forensic Science candidates is around INR 3,00,000 to 8,00,000. The salary varies according to your job profile and your expertise in the field.
What is the Admission Process for PhD Forensic Science?
Admission to the PhD Forensic Science colleges is strictly on the basis of the entrance and the personal interview which follows the entrance test.
- The admission process can be either online or offline.
- The candidates will have to submit their application form and pay the registration fee.
- After that, they will be intimated about the date of the entrance test.
- Once the results of the entrance test are declared, the candidates can take admission to the college.
- They will have to visit the college along with the required documents and complete the admission formalities.
- The admission process mostly begins in the month of August. However, this year, because of the pandemic, all dates have been deferred.
Here we have mentioned the different steps of the admission process:
- Step 1: Fill the application form: The students who wish to fill up the application form online will have to navigate to the official website of the university and complete the application form. This process can also be carried out offline by visiting the college campus.
- Step 2: Sit for the entrance test: Once the application forms have been submitted, the students will have to appear for the admission test. The syllabus for the test is prescribed by the university itself. The duration of the entrance test is around 2 to 3 hours.
- Step 3: Appear for an interview: The entrance test is followed by a round of personal interview where students are asked different types of questions. The performance of the candidate in the entrance test will determine whether he/she will be able to make it to the final admission list.
- Step 4: Admission to the college: Once the entrance test and the personal interview is complete, the college will prepare a final list mentioning the candidates who will be able to take admission to the college. The selected candidates will then be able to take admission to that particular college.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for Admission to PhD Forensic Science?
If you wish to study PhD Forensic Science, then you must fulfil the eligibility criteria. Here, we have mentioned a few important eligibility criteria for the PhD Forensic Science students:
- A candidate must complete his masters in Forensic Science or any other relevant discipline.
- The candidate must clear the cut-off for the admission test. The cut-off is determined each year by the conducting university.
- The student must also perform well at the personal interview which may be conducted after the entrance test.
Also, go through the revised Eligibility Criteria for GATE Exam.
Which are the Top Entrance Exams for Admission to PhD Forensic Science?
The PhD Forensic Science students are admitted on the basis of the marks of the candidate in the entrance test. After the test results are declared, the candidates may also have to appear for a personal interview.
The entrance tests are mostly held in and around June-July. However, this year, there has been a change of dates because of the coronavirus pandemic. Some of the important entrance tests for the PhD Forensic Science course have been mentioned below:
- UGC NET: Most candidates get admitted to the different PhD institutes of the country through the UGC NET Examination. It is a national level examination which is specially meant for the PhD candidates.
- UGC CSIR NET: Council of Scientific & Industrial Research – National Eligibility Test is the admission examination for the post of Junior Research Fellowship post. The candidates can sit for the test twice a year.
- GATE: GATE is the national level examination which is crafted mainly for the engineering candidates. The admission to the top IITs and NITs of the country is done on the basis of the GATE score.
- JNU PhD Entrance Exam: JNU PhD Entrance Exam is the entrance test conducted by Jawaharlal Nehru University. The exam is held in June and the applications for the same are released in April.
- DTU PhD Entrance Exam: Delhi Technical University admits PhD students based on the marks acquired by them in DTU PhD Entrance Exam. The examination will be held in offline mode.
|Entrance Test||Conducting Body||Mode of Examination||Total Time||Date of Application||Date of Examination|
|UGC NET||NTA||Online||3 hours||March 16 - June 30, 2020||September 16-18 and 21-25, 2020|
|UGC CSIR NET||NTA||Offline||3 hours||March 16 - June 30, 2020||To be announced|
|GATE||IITs||Online||3 hours||September 14 - 30, 2020||February 29, 2021|
How to Prepare for the PhD Forensic Science Entrance Exam?
You will be able to get admitted to a college of your choice only if you perform well in the entrance test. Here we have listed a few strategies that will help you to acquire a good score in the entrance test:
- Study the syllabus properly. It will definitely help you a lot in your preparations. Make sure that you do not skip any important topic. The official syllabus can be downloaded from the website of the university.
- Prepare a practical study plan for yourself which you will be able to execute. Most people spend more time planning than on preparations. Spend more time on topics which you find difficult to understand.
- Get to know your strengths and your weaknesses. Until and unless you know your strengths and your weaknesses, you will never be able to acquire a really good score in the entrance test.
- Pay more attention to the numerical. Most students spend more time on theory. As a result, they are not able to solve numerical problems properly. Practise questions from different types of books. This will make you more confident.
- Practise questions from previous years’ question papers. This should mainly be done during the last 2 months.
- You must prepare your mind to function well during the examination. This can only be done through prolonged practise and consistency. You must start with your preparations at least 4 months before the examination. Only then will you be able to live up to your expectations.
How to Get Admission in a Good PhD Forensic Science College?
Being a part of a college of your dreams is never an easy task. So, here we are with a
few tips that will help you to get admitted to a good college:
- First of all, you need to fulfil the eligibility criteria. For that, you need to have a very good score in your postgraduate course. In case your college has any additional eligibility criteria, you will have to fulfil that as well.
- Most colleges conduct an entrance examination for admission. So, you will have to acquire a really good score in the admission test. There is, however, no fixed cut-off. The cut-off mainly depends on the number of candidates appearing for the course.
- Being well-prepared for the entrance test is also a must. Read the questions of the examination properly before attempting them. Also, in case there is negative marking, try to avoid guesswork as much as possible.
- Next, you need to perform well in the interview. In most cases, the interview is a personal interview. The interview round is mostly held after the results of the entrance tests are declared by the respective colleges/ universities.
- Try to get a clear picture about the placement scenario of the college. If a college does not offer good placement, then it would not be wise to become a part of such a college. You can check the official website for details regarding placement.
- You can also contact your seniors and ask them for guidance. They might be able to help you out and tell you which college might be the best for you. Also, don’t forget to check the course curriculum before becoming a part of the college.
PhD Forensic Science: What is it About?
Forensic Science is quite a popular discipline in India. Let us see what the PhD Forensic Science course is all about.
- PhD Forensic Science mainly focuses on the study of living organisms including human beings. The course also involves the study of DNA copying in various organisms.
- The course is mainly meant for those candidates who wish to pursue research activities in Forensic Science. The PhD Forensic Science course has a really broad spectrum.
- The Forensic Science course has a logical and analytical approach. It prepares the students to study the human body in detail and find out the cause of their death.
- After completing the course, the students will be able to conduct research activities in the medical sector. They will also be provided with various other career opportunities.
- In order to become a successful researcher in Forensic Science, a candidate must possess excellent logical skills, analytical skills, time management skills and leadership skills.
PhD Forensic Science Course Highlights
PhD Forensic Science is a very highly sought after course provided by a very few colleges. The special features of this course are given in the table below.
|Full-form||Doctorate of Philosophy in Forensic Science|
|Eligibility||Master degree in relevant discipline.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam + Personal Interview|
|Course Fee||INR 48,000 to 1,60,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3,00,000 to 8,00,000|
|Job Positions||Professor, Researcher, Forensic Consultant and many more.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Colleges, Universities, Hospitals, Laboratories, Research Organizations.|
|Top Recruiters||Wipro, Ranbaxy, NCB, NCRB, Government Organizations.|
Why Study PhD Forensic Science?
PhD Forensic Science can give you a really prosperous career. Here we have enlisted a few important reasons regarding why you should pursue a PhD Forensic Science course:
- The students who have completed their PhD Forensic Science have excellent career scope. They may seek jobs in the medical sector or conduct their own research.
- Some of the most popular work profiles for the PhD Forensic Science candidates are Professor, Biomedical Researcher, Forensic Science Researcher, Forensic Consultant, etc.
- The PhD Forensic Science candidates may become a professor at various colleges and universities and impart knowledge to the students on subjects related to Forensic Science.
- They may also work in the medical sector as Biomedical Researcher, Forensic Science Consultant, Forensic Researcher and many more.
- The average salary earned by the PhD Forensic Science students is INR 3,00,000 to 8,00,000. The salary is largely dependent on your expertise in your field.
Course Comparison: PhD Forensic Science vs PhD Pathology
PhD Forensic Science and PhD Pathology are two very similar courses. Here we have compared the PhD Forensic Science and PhD in Pathology course.
|Parameters||PhD Forensic Science||PhD Pathology|
|Qualification||Doctor of Philosophy in Forensic Science||Doctor of Philosophy in Pathology.|
|Course Overview||PhD Forensic Science is a research-based course which deals with the analysis of the bodies of living beings. It also deals with DNA copying.||PhD in Pathology course focuses on the study of a particular disease. It also involves creating methods for treatment and further prevention of the disease.|
|Eligibility||Postgraduation in a relevant discipline.||Postgraduation in a relevant discipline.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Test + Personal Interview.||Entrance test or Merit-based|
|Average Fee||INR 48,000 to INR 1,60,000||INR 5,000- INR 25,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3,00,000 to INR 8,00,000||INR 2,00,000 to INR 12,00,000|
|Colleges||Panjab University, Amity University, Chandigarh University, Indira Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, Patna||Loyola College, Chennai, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, Presidency College, Chennai, Nalanda Open University, Patna.|
|Recruitment sectors||Medical sectors, pharmaceutical companies, colleges and universities, etc.||Medical colleges, clinics, government and private hospitals, etc.|
|Top Job Profiles||Biomedical researcher, professor, consultant, forensic science researcher, etc.||Pathologist, professor, marketing executive, research associate, etc.|
Source: College Websites
PhD Forensic Science Top Colleges
PhD Forensic Science is taught in a number of colleges in India. Here, we have mentioned some of the best PhD Forensic Science Colleges:
|College Name||City||Average First-Year Fee||Average Placement Salary|
|Amity University||Noida||INR 1,00,000||INR 3,50,000|
|Panjab University||Chandigarh||INR 11,600||INR 3,50,000|
|Chandigarh University||Chandigarh||INR 70,000||INR 5,90,000|
|Indira Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences||Patna||INR 20,000||INR 4,00,000|
|SGT University||Gurgaon||INR 1,52,500||INR 4,50,000|
|Galgotias University||Greater Noida||INR 70,000||INR 3,35,000|
|OPJS University||Churu||INR 85,900||INR 3,00,000|
|Shri Krishna University||Chhatarpur||INR 94,000||INR 3,50,000|
|G D Goenka University||Gurgaon||INR 1,70,000||INR 4,50,000|
|Gujarat Forensic Sciences University||Gandhi Nagar||INR 1,10,125||INR 3,50,000|
Source: College Websites
PhD Forensic Science College Comparison
Out of all the PhD Forensic Science colleges in India, we have compared 3 top colleges based on various factors.
|College/ University Name||Amity University, Noida||Panjab University, Chandigarh||Chandigarh University, Chandigarh|
|Overview||Amity University is one of the prime universities of the country. It has campuses in various parts of India. The university offers a wide variety of courses to the students.||PU is a state university which is situated in Chandigarh. It is a top-ranked university in India and is known for its UG, PG and PhD courses.||Chandigarh University is another very popular private university of India. The university has a total of 16 departments which offer courses in different specializations.|
|NIRF Engineering Ranking 2020||32||72||84|
|Average Fees||INR 1,00,000||INR 11,600||INR 70,000|
|Eligibility||Masters in relevant discipline||Masters in relevant discipline||Masters in relevant discipline|
|Admission Process||Entrance test + Personal Interview||Entrance test + Personal Interview||Entrance test + Personal Interview|
|Average CTC||INR 3,50,000||INR 3,50,000||INR 5,90,000|
|Top Recruiting Company||Amazon, SAP, Flipkart, Deloitte||Cognizant, Ranbaxy, NTPC, Amazon.||Adobe, Amazon, Cognizant, Dell.|
Source: College Websites
Which Subjects are Taught in PhD Forensic Science?
Few of the important subjects that are taught in the PhD Forensic Science course have been mentioned below:
|Ethics and Research Methods in Forensic Science||This course discusses the various methods used in Forensic research from an ethical point of view.|
|Introduction to Forensic Chemistry||This subject involves a detailed study of all the chemical procedures needed to conduct the Forensic experiments and tests.|
|Forensic Science and Policing||This is quite an Analytical subject which involves the study of the various policies that should be taken into consideration while performing Forensic tests.|
|Digital Imaging in Forensic Science||This course teaches the students how digital imaging helps us to conduct Forensic experiments in a more advanced manner.|
|Forensic Anthropology- Introduction||This subject is one of the most important subjects of the course which deals with all the important anatomical science theories required to conduct Forensic tests.|
|Forensic Anthropology- Advanced||This subject deals with the course of Forensic Anthropology in an advanced manner.|
|Forensic DNA Analysis||This course involves the methods involved in the study of DNA samples for various Forensic reasons.|
|Medical Death Investigation||This course discusses the techniques to conduct post mortem tests.|
|Forensic and Information Technology||This course involves the discussion of use of Information Technology for the betterment of Forensic Science.|
Important Books for PhD Forensic Science course
Books are really important if you wish to perform well in your PhD Forensic Science course. Here is a list of some of the most important books for the PhD Forensic Science candidates:
|Book Name||Author Name|
|Criminalistics: An Introduction to Forensic Science||Richard Saferstein|
|The Casebook of Forensic Detection||Colin Evans|
|Forensic Pathology||Vincent J.M. DiMaio|
PhD Forensic Science Job Prospects and Career Options
The PhD Forensic Science students are always open to a wide variety of career paths. The most common career option for the PhD Forensic Science students is to conduct research work in medical science.
- There are quite a few popular research labs in India that employ the PhD Forensic Science students.
- The PhD Forensic Science students may seek jobs in various other sectors as well.
- Some of the most popular sectors for the PhD Forensic Science students are medical sector, educational sector, research sector and many more.
- Few of the most popular companies which offer jobs to the PhD Forensic Science candidates are Ranbaxy, Apollo Hospital, NCB, NCRB, etc.
Some of the most common job profiles are discussed in the table below.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Lecturer||A lecturer shares his/her knowledge to the students on topics related to Forensic Science.||INR 5,00,000|
|Biomedical Researcher||A biomedical researcher studies the human body and finds ways to improve the general health condition.||INR 5,50,000|
|Forensic Consultant||A forensic consultant organizes different types of cases related to forensic science.||INR 4,50,000|
|Professor||Professor teaches UG, PG and PhD students in colleges and universities. He is expected to have a very deep knowledge of the course.||INR 7,00,000|
|Forensic Trainer||The Forensic trainers train his students about the various Forensic procedures involved in a detailed Forensic investigation.||INR 4,30,000|
|Postmortem Expert||The Postmortem expert conducts and supervises the postmortem tests being conducted by the Forensic laboratories.||INR 6,00,000|
|Forensic Pathologist||The Forensic Pathologist conducts post mortem tests on death bodies to find out the actual reasons behind a person's death.||INR 5,00,000|
PhD Forensic Science Future Scope
The future of the PhD Forensic Science students largely depends on their dedication and their performance in the course. Here we have mentioned some of the important future prospects for the PhD Forensic Science students:
- PhD Forensic Science students can take up jobs in private or government colleges and provide education to the students in various courses that are related to Forensic Science.
- The candidates may conduct their own research in Forensic Science. They may also work as researchers in various government and private laboratories.
- The most popular sector for the PhD Forensic Science students is the medical sector. The candidates may work as Forensic Consultant, Forensic Science Researcher, Biomedical Researcher and many more.
- The PhD Forensic Science students mainly earn a salary of INR 3,00,000 to INR 8,00,000 per year. The salary will completely depend on your experience and the recruiting segment.
PhD Forensic Science FAQs
Some of the most frequently asked questions related to PhD Forensic Science course are discussed below.
Ques. Is it worthwhile pursuing a PhD Forensic Science?
Ans. Yes, PhD Forensic Science is a very prosperous course for those students who have a genuine interest in the subject. They have different career paths to choose from.
Ques. What roles have been offered to the PhD Forensic Science students of SGT University?
Ans. Some of the popular job roles include Biomedical Researcher, Forensic Science Researcher, Forensic Science Consultant.
Ques. How many years does it take for a PhD Forensic Science?
Ans. It takes around 3-5 years to complete your PhD Forensic Science.
Ques. What is the highest salary package earned by a Biomedical Researcher?
Ans. The highest salary package for a Biomedical Researcher is around 8 LPA.
Ques. Is an entrance test necessary for the PhD Forensic Science admission?
Ans. Yes, you are required to sit for an entrance test if you wish to get admitted to the PhD Forensic Science course.
Ques. When do the placements start for the PhD Forensic Science course?
Ans. The placements mainly begin in the final year of the course.
Ques. What is the eligibility criteria for a PhD Forensic Science course?
Ans. The candidate must complete his/her Masters in Forensic Science or any other relevant discipline from a recognized university.
Ques. What are the best colleges or universities in India for a Ph.D in Forensic Science course in India?
Ans. Some of the best institutes are:
- Amity University, Noida
- Panjab University, Chandigarh
- Chandigarh University, Chandigarh
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, Patna
Ques. What is the average tuition fee for the PhD Forensic Science students?
Ans. The average tuition fee is between INR 48,000 to INR 1,60,000.
Ques. Is attendance compulsory at Chandigarh University?
Ans. Yes, Chandigarh University, being a private university, is quite strict about its admission procedure.
Ques. What should be the salary of the PhD Forensic Science candidates?
Ans. Your expected salary should be around 3 LPA to 8 LPA.
Ques. What has COVID-19 impacted the PhD Forensic Science admissions?
Ans. The admission dates for the PhD Forensic Science course have been deferred due to the coronavirus pandemic.