Banaras Hindu University (BHU) is a central university situated in Varanasi. and serves as an attractive study destination for students hailing from the northern, southern and even eastern regions of India. The University came into existence in the year 1916. NIRF ranked BHU at 3rd rank in India Rankings 2018 and 9th in the ‘Overall’ category in India. Internationally the university was ranked 801-1000 in the QS World Rankings of 2018. Being a national University, it offers courses in multiple disciplines at undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctorate level. Admissions to these academic programs are done on the basis of entrance test conducted at the university level.
BHU RET 2021 Admit Card has been Released. Visit officiail website to download. Banaras Hindu University has postponed the RET for admission to M.Phil and Ph.D Courses. Now, BHU RET 2021 Exam Date is 11 April 2021 for BHU Admission 2021.
The University is serviced by two campuses due to which there are different academic departments of the University are well. Some of the well-known schools and departments of the University are as follows:
- Faculty of Arts
Established in 1898 | Available Courses – BA and MA in various disciplines
- Institute of Science
Established in 1916 | Available Courses – B.Sc and M.Sc
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT BHU)
Established in 1919 | Available courses – B.Tech and M.Tech | Admission through JEE Advanced and GATE
- Faculty of Law
Established in 1922 | Available Courses – LL.B and LL.M
- Institute of Agricultural Sciences
Established in 1931 | Available courses – B.Sc and M.Sc in Agriculture
- Faculty of Commerce
Established in 1940 | Available Courses – B.Com, M.Com, MBA, and Ph.D.
- Institute of Medical Sciences
Established in 1960 | Available Courses – MBBS, BDS, and BAMS | Admission through NEET
- Faculty of Social Sciences
Established in 1971 | Available Courses – UG and PG in social sciences
BHU Important Dates
|Starting of MBA and MBA-IB||October 1, 2020|
|Last Date to Apply for MBA and MBA-IB||January 3, 2021 (Midnight)|
|CAT Registration Dates||August 5 to September 23, 2020|
|CAT Exam Date||November 29, 2020|
|Declaration of BHU UET Result||September 30, 2020|
|Declaration of BHU UET Result for Remaining Courses||October 5, 2020|
|M.Com. Admission Dates||October 14 - 17, 2020|
|Releasing of Admit Card for Nursing and Pharma Entrance Exam||October 14, 2020|
|Nursing and Pharma Entrance Exam Date||October 23, 2020|
|Admission Schedule for MBA-FM/MBA-R&I/MBA-FT||October 21-24, 2020|
|Last Date to Submit Documents for Admission under Sports Quota||October 27, 2020|
|Admission Schedule for B.Com (Hons)/B.Com (Hons)-FMM||October 29 to November 5, 2020|
|Last Date to Register for PG Diploma in D.Ch. (Ayurveda)||January 07, 2021|
|Submission of Documents and marks obtained in AIA -PGET||January 07, 2021|
|Counselling and Medical Checkup for Admission at BHU||January 13, 2021|
|Commencement of PG Diploma in D.Ch (Ay) Classes||January 18, 2021|
|Last Date of MBA/MBA-IB Application||January 27, 2021|
Banaras Hindu University Highlights
|Established| Type||1916|Central University|
|Approved by||UGC, AIU|
|Accredited by||NAAC with ‘A’ Grade|
|Set by||Uttar Pradesh Government|
|Courses Offered||UG, PG, Diploma, PG Diploma, PhD and M.Phil.|
|Basic Admission Criteria||Entrance based|
|Name of Entrance Exams||UET/PET/RAT/NEET|
|Major Facilities||Library, Seminar Halls, Canteens, Hostels|
|Top Recruiters||DHL, Infosys, Amazon, ICICI Bank, Adani, Wipro|
The University aims to impart quality education by providing various specializations in UG, PG courses and diploma courses. Below mentioned with are the courses offered by the University:
|Undergraduate Courses||Postgraduate Courses||
Diploma/ Certificate Courses (UG & PG)
|B.Com (Hons)||MBA||Gender & Women’s Studies||Chemistry|
|B.Sc (Hons)||M.Phil||Journalism and Mass Communication||Environmental Sciences|
|B.P.Ed||MFA||Advertising Design||Management Studies|
|LL.B||LL.M||Business Economics||Forensic Science|
- UG Courses- The candidate must have passed 10+2 examination with 50% marks in relevant discipline.
- PG Courses- Graduation in relevant discipline with 50% marks in the aggregate.
- Ph.D. Courses – Master’s degree in relevant subject with at least 55% marks in the aggregate
Read more BHU Courses
Listed below is the fee structure of the courses offered by the University:
|Course Name||Fee Structure (INR)|
|B.A/ B.P.Ed/ B.Com/ BFA||3400|
|MBBS/ BAMS/ BDS/ B.Pharm||25,000|
|LL.B and LL.M||3800 and 4900|
The university conducts national level entrance tests for admission into UG and PG courses usually during May–June. The registration process begins in the month of February and March. Interested applicants can register themselves on the online portal (http://bhuonline.in/) or the official website of the University. An application fee of INR 500 for GEN/OBC category and INR 250 for SC/ST/Ph candidates need to be pay. For MBA and MBA (IB), the application fee is INR 1500 for GEN/OBC and INR 800 for SC/ST students. Admissions are done according to merit in the entrance tests, subject to fulfilling other eligibility requirements.
BHU Entrance Exam
The university conducts different entrance examinations related to a specific set of courses. The following table shows the type of examination conducted by the university.
|Undergraduate Entrance Test (UET)||Undergraduate courses|
|Postgraduate Entrance Test (PET)||Postgraduate Courses|
|Research Entrance Test (RET)||Ph.D. and M. Phil Courses|
|NEET||MBBS and BDS|
Click here BHU Admissions 2020
BHU University Examination Results for both theory and practical Examinations can be downloaded from the official website.
- Visit the official website of the university (BHU Online)
- Select the type of course (UG or PG) given in the result box
- Select the course
- Enter your roll number
- Download the result
For more information regarding the results, candidates can visit the official website of the university.
Read more BHU Results
The University provides reservations for the following categories:
- 15% & 7.5% seats are reserved for SC/ST candidates in each course respectively.
- 27% Reservation to candidates belonging to OBC category (excluding under creamy layer) will be provided in different courses
- 3% seats shall be reserved for Physically Challenged Candidates: Visually Impaired (1%)+ Hearing Impaired (1%) + Orthopaedically Handicapped (1%)
- 15% of seats out of the total number of seats in M.P.Ed. are allocated for female candidates. In case any such seats remain vacant, these will be filled by male candidates on merit
- 15% supernumerary seats in all the courses (including special courses) shall be available for the sons/daughters (including married daughters) of permanent employees (including those on probation) of BHU currently in service
The University provides financial help to deserving students under the Students’ Welfare Fund. Mentioned below are the details for the same:
- 50 poor students shall be provided Lunch and Dinner under “Free Meal Facility” for at least 7 months. In the case of female hostellers, they will be reimbursed the actual Mess charges.
- 20 blind students shall be entitled to get Free Lunch and Dinner and also an amount of INR 5000 per annum under “Annadaan Yojna”.
- First and Second Rank holders will be awarded a Cash Prize of INR 4000 and INR 300 respectively.
- An amount of INR 2000 per annum shall be granted as Financial Assistance to the students belonging to poor family background. This will be subject to a maximum of 100 students.
- A one time grant of INR 4000 per student shall be provided to the Physically Handicapped students for their entire course tenure, subject to a maximum of 25 students.
- Sleeper Class Rail Fare will be reimbursed to the students, other than research scholars, who participate in any national level seminar/symposia/conference.
- A maximum of INR 5000 shall be provided as Financial Assistance for organizing Seminars/Workshops, at the Faculty/Institute level, which should be beneficial to the students, subject to a maximum of 10 Seminars/Symposia/Workshops per annum
Ques. What are the facilities offered to students at BHU?
Ans. The facilities offered at BHU are as follows:
- Hostel: There are as many as sixty hostels run by the university and as many as nine thousand two hundred and eighteen students, if not more, can be accommodated. BHU has separate hostels for boys and girls.
- Computer center: It can be accessed by students and faculty members who wish to browse the internet in order to get ahead with their academic work. Data analysis software products are installed on most of the computers as are emailing facilities and of course access to Microsoft Office.
- International center: Banaras Hindu University has an international center. This center takes care of the needs and requirements of the foreign nationals who are studying at the University. In some ways, it serves as a grievance cell for them.
Ques. Which is better, BHU or DU?
Ans. A critical analysis of both can help in identifying which campus is better:
- Campus: Although BHU possesses Asia's largest campus of 3960 acres, the larger part of this is located on the south campus of the university at Barkachha in Mirzapur. The main campus in 1360 acres, which is large enough (still 3rd in India after Hyderabad University and IIT kgp). BHU campus is one of the greenest campuses giving a glimpse of heaven sometimes.
On the other hand, most of the DU colleges are not bigger than a standard school. DU is divided into two campuses, north, and south. Even if both the campuses are taken together, it will only be a fraction of that of BHU.
- Structure: There are 77 colleges in DU and admissions are done in each college separately. There is not much difference between them barring the big names.
BHU also has colleges but they are few in number and students there don’t enjoy the privileges of the main campus. The main campus is about institutes, faculties, and departments. It has 8 institutes, 16 faculties, and more than 140 departments.
- Location: Being in a metro city and that too in the capital of India is of great advantage. One should always prefer a metropolitan city in case s/he is willing to study commerce, economics, management, or other similar courses. It offers you greater exposure and opportunities.
- Hostel Facilities: The proportion of students getting hostel is higher in BHU. DU hostels are more autonomous than those of BHU. One has to apply separately to each hostel.
In BHU, each faculty has its own hostels which are allotted strictly on the basis of merit and are decided by respective faculties. Birla and Broacha hostels are flagship brands of BHU.
- Exposure: BHU is slightly better in research, particularly in sciences. DU is ahead by far in corporate jobs and civil services.
Ques. How is BA at BHU?
Ans. The BA program of the Banaras Hindu University is good. The Arts faculty of BHU has the best professors in the language department. The most preferred language course in BA is German as it has the best placements in the whole Arts department.
Ques. How to crack the BHU entrance exam?
Ans. BHU entrance exams are different for different programs. For UG program admissions, The college conducts BHU UET and for PG program admissions, the college conducts BHU PET.
The syllabus for both exams depends on the concerned subject of the qualifying exam. Students must prepare well by practicing the previous question papers and a little bit of knowledge of general awareness.
Ques How are the placements in FMS BHU?
Ans. The placements at FMS BHU also known as IM BHU include companies such as Canara Bank, IDBI Bank, Bank of Baroda, HCL, Network 18, IFB, Oracle, Wipro, etc.
Profiles offered to the students are in the fields of Corporate Finance, Equity Research, Investment Banking, Marketing, Sales and Distribution, Supply Chain Management, Business Consulting, IT consulting, Agri-Business, Industrial Relations, and Corporate HR.
The highest salary package offered to students is of INR 15 LPA and the average salary package remains at INR 6-7 LPA.
Ques: How is BHU? Is it among the top universities in India?
Ques: Does BHU conduct entrance exams for UG/PG/MPhil admissions?
Ques: To which university does BHU is compared?
Ques: What is the payment mode of Application at BHU?
Ques: Are BHU and IIT-BHU the Same?
Ques: How many departments are there in BHU?
Ques: Does BHU contribute to conducting seminars and workshops?
Ques: Who are the top recruiters at BHU?
Ques: What is the highest package offered to the students at BHU?