Banaras Hindu University (BHU) is a central university situated in Varanasi. and serves as an attractive study destination for students hailing from the northern, southern and even eastern regions of India. The University came into existence in the year 1916. NIRF ranked BHU at 3rd rank in India Rankings 2018 and 9th in the ‘Overall’ category in India. Internationally the university was ranked 801-1000 in the QS World Rankings of 2018. Being a national University, it offers courses in multiple disciplines at undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctorate level. Admissions to these academic programs are done on the basis of entrance test conducted at the university level.
The University is serviced by two campuses due to which there are different academic departments of the University are well. Some of the well-known schools and departments of the University are as follows:
- Faculty of Arts
Established in 1898 | Available Courses – BA and MA in various disciplines
- Institute of Science
Established in 1916 | Available Courses – B.Sc and M.Sc
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT BHU)
Established in 1919 | Available courses – B.Tech and M.Tech | Admission through JEE Advanced and GATE
- Faculty of Law
Established in 1922 | Available Courses – LL.B and LL.M
- Institute of Agricultural Sciences
Established in 1931 | Available courses – B.Sc and M.Sc in Agriculture
- Faculty of Commerce
Established in 1940 | Available Courses – B.Com, M.Com, MBA and Ph.D.
- Institute of Medical Sciences
Established in 1960 | Available Courses – MBBS, BDS, and BAMS | Admission through NEET
- Faculty of Social Sciences
Established in 1971 | Available Courses – UG and PG in social sciences
|Type of Programs||UG, PG, Ph.D., Diploma and Certificate|
|Entrance Exam ||BHU UET and BHU PET|
The university conducts national level entrance tests for admission into UG and PG courses usually during May–June. The registration process begins in the month of February and March. Interested applicants can register themselves on the online portal (http://bhuonline.in/) or the official website of the University. An application fee of INR 500 for GEN/OBC category and INR 250 for SC/ST/Ph candidates need to be pay. For MBA and MBA (IB), the application fee is INR 1500 for GEN/OBC and INR 800 for SC/ST students. Admissions are done according to merit in the entrance tests, subject to fulfilling of other eligibility requirements.
The University provides reservations for the following categories:
- 15% & 7.5% seats are reserved for SC/ST candidates in each course respectively.
- 27% Reservation to candidates belonging to OBC category (excluding under creamy layer) will be provided in different courses
- 3% seats shall be reserved for Physically Challenged Candidates: Visually Impaired (1%)+ Hearing Impaired (1%) + Orthopaedically Handicapped (1%)
- 15% seats out of the total number of seats in M.P.Ed. are allocated for female candidates. In case any such seats remain vacant, these will be filled by male candidates on merit
- 15% supernumerary seats in all the courses (including special courses) shall be available for the sons/daughters (including married daughters) of permanent employees (including those on probation) of BHU currently in service
BHU Entrance Exam
The university conducts different entrance examinations related to a specific set of courses. The following table shows the type of examination conducted by the university.
|Examination Name ||Course|
|Undergraduate Entrance Test (UET)||Undergraduate courses|
|Postgraduate Entrance Test (PET)||Postgraduate Courses|
|Research Entrance Test (RET)||Ph.D. and M. Phil Courses|
|NEET||MBBS and BDS|
Click here BHU Admissions 2020
The University aims to impart quality education by providing various specializations in UG, PG courses and diploma courses. Below mentioned with are the courses offered by the University:
|Undergraduate Courses||Postgraduate Courses|
Diploma/ Certificate Courses (UG & PG)
|B.Com (Hons)||MBA||Gender & Women’s Studies||Chemistry|
|B.Sc (Hons)||M.Phil||Journalism and Mass Communication||Environmental Sciences|
|B.P.Ed||MFA||Advertising Design||Management Studies|
|LL.B||LL.M||Business Economics||Forensic Science|
- UG Courses- The candidate must have passed 10+2 examination with 50% marks in relevant discipline.
- PG Courses- Graduation in relevant discipline with 50% marks in the aggregate.
- Ph.D. Courses – Master’s degree in relevant subject with at least 55% marks in the aggregate
Read more BHU Courses
Banaras Hindu University Fees
Listed below is the fee structure of the courses offered by the University:
|Course Name||Fee Structure (INR)|
|B.A/ B.P.Ed/ B.Com/ BFA||3400|
|MBBS/ BAMS/ BDS/ B.Pharm||25,000|
|LL.B and LL.M||3800 and 4900|
The University provides financial help to deserving students under the Students’ Welfare Fund. Mentioned below are the details for the same:
- 50 poor students shall be provided Lunch and Dinner under “Free Meal Facility” for at least 7 months. In the case of female hostellers, they will be reimbursed the actual Mess charges.
- 20 blind students shall be entitled to get Free Lunch and Dinner and also an amount of INR 5000 per annum under “Annadaan Yojna”.
- First and Second Rank holders will be awarded a Cash Prize of INR 4000 and INR 300 respectively.
- An amount of INR 2000 per annum shall be granted as Financial Assistance to the students belonging to poor family background. This will be subject to a maximum of 100 students.
- A one time grant of INR 4000 per student shall be provided to the Physically Handicapped students for their entire course tenure, subject to a maximum of 25 students.
- Sleeper Class Rail Fare will be reimbursed to the students, other than research scholars, who participate in any national level seminar/symposia/conference.
- A maximum of INR 5000 shall be provided as Financial Assistance for organizing Seminars/Workshops, at the Faculty/Institute level, which should be beneficial to the students, subject to a maximum of 10 Seminars/Symposia/Workshops per annum
BHU University Examination Results for both theory and practical Examinations can be downloaded from the official website.
- Visit the official website of the university (BHU Online)
- Select the type of course (UG or PG) given in the result box
- Select the course
- Enter your roll number
- Download the result
For more information regarding the results, candidates can visit the official website of the university.
Read more BHU Results
- Hostel: There are as many as sixty hostels run by the university and as many as nine thousand two hundred and eighteen students, if not more, can be accommodated. BHU has separate hostels for boys and girls.
- Computer center: It can be accessed by students and faculty members who wish to browse the internet in order to get ahead with their academic work. Data analysis software products are installed on most of the computers as are emailing facilities and of course access to Microsoft Office.
- International center: Banaras Hindu University has an international center. This center takes care of the needs and requirements of the foreign nationals who are studying at the University. In some ways, it serves as a grievance cell for them.