Updated On - May 8th 2018
Banaras Hindu University is situated in Varanasi and serves as an attractive study destination for students hailing from the northern, southern and even eastern regions of India. The University came into existence in the year 1916.
It was the great Madan Mohan Malviya who is credited with the founding of the University. Banaras Hindu University in recent years has managed to create a reputation in promoting interdisciplinary research.
There are as many as four centres in the University that are dedicated solely to interdisciplinary research and exchange of knowledge. The University is serviced by two campuses and thus the different academic departments of the University are well.
BHU Facts and Figures
B.H.U. Act 1915
Type of University
Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
The table shows a total number of BHU Courses
Types of Courses
- The university provides a 5 year 6 months full-time Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (M.B.B.S) course.
- Through this course, the students are taught all about the human anatomy, human cytology, medicine, chemistry, pharmaceutical chemistry, drugs formulation & effect and method of surgery.
BHU M.B.B.S. Eligibility
Candidate must pass Science/Pre-Medical Course/12 year of 10+2 or equivalent examination with a minimum of 50% marks (40% in case of SC/ST candidates) in English, Physics, Chemistry and Biology taken together. Candidates appearing in the qualifying examination may also apply.
BHU Admission 2018
Banaras Hindu University conducts national level undergraduate (UET) and postgraduate (PET) entrance tests usually during May–June for admission for which registrations begin usually in February–March. Admissions are done according to merit in the entrance tests, subject to fulfilling of other eligibility requirements.
For more BHU Admission details click here
BHU Entrance Exam 2018
The university conducts different entrance examinations related to a specific set of courses.
The following table shows the type of examination conducted by the university.
Undergraduate Entrance Test (UET)
Postgraduate Entrance Test (PET)
Research Entrance Test (RET)
Ph.D. and M. Phil Courses
The following examinations are conducted by the university. For more details regarding BHU Entrance Exam click here
BHU University Examination Results for both theory and practical Examinations can be downloaded from the official website.
- Visit the official website of the university (BHU Online) – http://bhuonline.in/
- Select the type of course (UG or PG) given in the result box
- Select the course
- Enter your roll number
- Download the result
For more information regarding the results, candidates can visit the official website of the university.
The Faculty of Law and Arts is particularly well known as is the department for technological studies and research. Often foreign-educated teachers are known to be teaching in these departments. Some of the well-known schools and departments of the University are as follows:
- Institute of Technology
- Institute of Agricultural Sciences
- Institute of Medical Sciences
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Commerce
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Faculty of Performing Arts
- Faculty of Sciences
- Hostel facilities can, of course, be availed of by students interested in pursuing their higher education at the Banaras Hindu University.
- There are as many as sixty hostels run by the university and as many as nine thousand two hundred and eighteen students, if not more, can be accommodated.
- There are separate hostels for boys and girls.
- The rooms in the hostel are nice and comfortable and there is also a common dining area where students can consume their meals.
- Students can also buy their meals from outside but there are strict rules and regulations about keeping the interiors of the rooms in the hostel spick and span.
There is a computer centre at the University that can be accessed by students and faculty members who wish to browse the internet in order to get ahead with their academic work. Data analysis software products are installed on most of the computers as are emailing facilities and of course access to Microsoft Office. Data analysis software is used by both the humanities and social sciences departments as well as the departments that specialize in the study of natural and pure science subjects. Tutorials exist for the convenience of those who engage in the use of these software products for the first time.
Banaras Hindu University has an international centre. This centre takes care of the needs and requirements of the foreign nationals who are studying at the University. In some ways, it serves as a grievance cell for them. Language issues are of course the most common issues that are faced by foreign students at the University and there are ready interpreters who come to their assistance in the event that they are unable to get their point of view across.
The Banaras Hindu University runs an employment cell which is maintained by certain departments and faculties. The cell takes the responsibility of organizing campus interviews, making available positions in the job market known to potential job seekers studying at the University, and even at times arranging for several training programs to take place.