Postgraduate diploma or PGD in Orthopaedics is a 2-year post graduation level diploma in the field of Orthopaedics. This course has extensive content for orthopaedic trainees and advanced therapists who have already gained experience in dealing with ailments pertaining to musculoskeletal systems and are highly proficient in surgical and non surgical treatments.
Candidates holding an MBBS degree from a recognized medical institute will be considered eligible to seek admission to this course.
Admission to this course will be done based on the candidate’s performance in entrance exams like NEET PG. However, there are some colleges that offer admission based on the candidate's performance in the qualifying exams.
Some of the top colleges offering PGD Orthopaedics course are AIIMS New Delhi, CMC Vellore, Annamalai University, Chidambaram etc
On completion of PGD in Orthopaedics course, the graduates can start their career as Orthopaedic Surgeon, Medical Officer etc. in government established or private sector health care units.
The fees of the course ranges between INR 2,00,000 and 5,00,000 depending on the college/ university offering this course.
After completion of this course, students will be able to get a handsome salary package ranging between INR 1,00,000 and 3,00,000 per annum.
PGD in Orthopaedics: Course Highlights
|Course Name||PGD in Orthopaedics|
|Course Level||Post Graduation|
|Full-Form||Post Graduation Diploma in Orthopaedics|
|Examination type||Semester wise|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam based/ Merit based depending on the performance of candidate in MBBS|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 2,00,000 to 5,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 1,00,000 to 3,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Medical Colleges and universities, Nursing homes, Pharma companies, Research Institutes, Government & Private healthcare units, Defence services, Medical writings etc.|
|Job Positions||Professors, Orthopaedic surgeons, Physiotherapists,Medical Officers, Operation Theatre (OT) Assistants cum Technicians, Pharmacists etc.|
PGD in Orthopaedics: Admission Process
The admission criteria for PGD in Orthopaedics is usually the same for almost all the dental colleges/universities. Most of them offer the course on the basis of the score in NEET PG. However, some colleges offer the course on the basis of institution-specific entrance exams, but NEET candidates are preferred everywhere.
The basic application process for the entrance based admissions is as follows:
- Visit the official website of the college/university.
- Register for the admission within the stipulated time period announced by the institute with a valid E-mail ID.
- After successful registration, fill the application form providing personal and academic details.
- Upload or submit the necessary document in the prescribed format as asked by the specific institute.
- Pay the application fees online or offline. The application fee varies across the colleges.
- The admit card for the exam would be released before the exam. Download the admit card.
- Once the NEET PG is conducted, the qualified candidates need to participate in the counselling procedure.
- On the allocation of a seat to the candidate, he/she can complete the admission formalities by reporting physically at the college.
PGD in Orthopaedics: Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria set for admission to the program of Post Graduate Diploma in Orthopaedics are as follows:
- Candidates who have qualified their graduate degree in MBBS in relevant discipline or any equivalent examination with an aggregate of 50% marks and above are eligible for admission.
- Certain colleges may conduct an interview for admission.
Postgraduate Diploma in Orthopaedics: Entrance Exams
The details of the entrance exams conducted by the colleges/ universities for admission to PGD in Orthopaedics are given below:
- NEET PG: NEET PG is a national-level entrance exam conducted by the National Board of Examination for admission to postgraduate courses in the medical field. It is a computer-based examination with a duration of 3 hours.
The dates of application and examination for the above-mentioned examinations are mentioned in the table below.
|Entrance Exam||Application Period||Exam Date||Entrance Mode|
|NEET PG 2021||February 23 - March 15, 2021||April 18, 2021||Online|
How to Prepare for a Postgraduate Diploma in Orthopaedics Entrance Exams?
In order to score well in the entrance exams, it is important to follow few preparation tips that will candidates to come out with flying colors
- Before starting the preparation it is important for students to understand the exam pattern and syllabus and mark the important topics that need to be covered.
- After understanding what will be asked in the entrance exam, the candidate must start their preparation by going back and fro to the basics, solving as many questions as possible and making notes of the same as it helps in registering the topics as well as for future revision
- After completion of the entire syllabus, the candidates must take up practice questions and mock papers as this will give them the feel of a real entrance exam.
- Learn from your mistakes and correct it. One may not score well in one go but it is important for students to see the room for improvement and work on it
- Keep revising the syllabus, the basics and keep giving as many mock papers as possible
PGD in Orthopaedics : How to get admission in a Good College?
A good college plays a vital role in the development and growth of a student’s career. A good college works as a strong foundation to build a strong future hence it is important to aim as well as get into a reputed medical institution for PGD in Orthopaedics.
- Candidates aiming for PGD in Orthopaedics should maintain a decent score throughout their MBBS.
- PGD in Orthopaedics is an entrance exam based course which requires eligible candidates to clear the NEET PG or any other entrance exam conducted by the university itself.
- In order to score well in entrance exams, It is essential to understand the exam pattern, practice on mock exams and channelise the time preparing the most important topics which are asked in the paper.
- The candidates should aim to gain in depth knowledge on everything they study during their MBBS as it would help them in performing well not only during interviews but beyond that. The candidates should keep their basics clear
PGD in Orthopaedics: Syllabus
The detailed year-wise syllabus of PGD Orthopaedics course is provided in the table given below:
|1. Trauma care:|
|a. Closed reductions of fractures, plaster application.|
|b. Debridement of open fractures, external fixations.|
|c. Internal fixations of minor fractures with K wire.|
|2. Non-traumatic conditions:|
|a. Manipulative correction of congenital problems like CTEV.|
|c. Excision of benign lesions.|
|d. Tendon lengthening.|
|a. Tension band wiring of fracture patella, fracture olecranon, etc|
|b. DCP of forearm bones, tibia, etc|
|2. Non-traumatic conditions:|
|a. Carpal tunnel release|
|b. Bone grafting|
|c. Soft tissue release under supervision Teaching Learning|
PGD in Orthopaedics: Top Colleges
The table below shows the best PGD in Orthopaedics program colleges and Institutions that offers the course in Full time mode:
|College/ University Name||Average Annual Fees|
|Annamalai University, Chidambram||INR 11,23,000|
|AIIMS, New Delhi||INR 20,000|
|Rural Medical College, Loni||INR 40,05,000|
|Christian Medical College, Vellore||INR 4,73,000|
|Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University, Pune||INR 40,00,000|
PGD in Orthopaedics: College Comparison
Here’s a detailed comparison between two colleges that offer PGD in Orthopaedics course:
|Full Form||All India Institute of Medical Sciences||Annamalai University|
|About||AIIMS offers its own medical degrees & distinctions in UG, PG & Doctoral programs. Admission to these programs is based on marks obtained by the student in the National Level Entrance exam.||AU consists of 10 faculties, 49 departments, and provides undergraduate, postgraduate courses, diplomas, and research programs.|
|Course Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Course Level||Post graduation Diploma||Post Graduation Diploma|
|Admission process||INI CET||NEET PG|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 20,000||INR 11,23,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 6,00,000||INR 9,80,000|
PGD in Orthopaedics vs MS Orthopaedics
Both PGD Orthopaedics and MS Orthopaedics are two different courses in Orthopaedics. One is a Diploma course and the other is an MS course.
Check Top MS Orthopaedics Colleges here.
The difference between the above-mentioned two courses are provided in the table given below:
|Parameters||PGD Orthopaedics||MS Orthopaedics|
|Full Form||Post Graduate Diploma in Orthopaedics||Master of Surgery Orthopaedics|
|Course Duration||2 years||3 years|
|Degree type||Post graduationDiploma / Masters||Post Graduation/ Masters|
|Eligibility||MBBS + Entrance Exam Score||MBBS + Entrance exam score|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 2,00,000 to 5,00,000||INR 10,00,000 to 20,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4,00,000 to 7,00,000||INR 6,00,000 to 10,00,000|
PG Diploma in Orthopaedics: Future Scope
- The 2 year PGD in Orthopaedics has a rising scope in the field of medical and healthcare. With rising issues related to the musculoskeletal problems there is a huge demand for professionals who can practice and treat the same.
- After the course the candidates get well aware and develop skills which opens up opportunities in many industries and employment areas of both government and private sector establishments.
- Candidates on successfully completing the PGD in Orthopaedics course can join any medical college or university as Assistant professor. Further they can apply to research institutes where they can start working as researchers or research associates.
- The course also works as a stepping stone or a bridge towards a step forward in attainment of higher education in the field of medicine and healthcare as the candidates on finally completing the PGD in Orthopaedics for those who wish to pursue a fulfilling career with higher education.?
PGD Orthopaedics: Job Prospects and Career Options
- At the end of the PGD in Orthopaedics, candidates get full knowledge, and are aware of the latest and high end techniques which facilitate excellent quality of care in Orthopaedics and musculoskeletal trauma.
- PGD in Orthopaedics Employment Areas include Medical Colleges and Institutions, Research centers, Public and private clinics , Pharmaceutical companies, Government and private healthcare units and alliances, Medical Writings, Military services, Nursing homes
The following job profiles can be expected by the candidates after completing PGD in Orthopaedics program:
|Job Profiles||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Medical Officer||Manages all the aspects related to the patient's healthcare. The diagnose the medical issues pertaining to the problems along with overseeing the daily operations and requirements for the hospitals or the organisations||INR 6,00,000 to 8,00,000|
|Physiotherapist||They are therapists who help in treating and improving the health of patients affected by injury, illness and disability through movements and exercises, manual therapy, education and advice.||INR 4,00,000 to 6,00,000|
|OT Assistant cum Technician||The key responsibility of Operation theatre assistant cum Technician is to maintain a sterile environment in the operation theatre before, during and after the surgical procedures for the patients, surgeon and their team.||INR 2,00,000 to 3,00,000|
|Pharmacist||The key role and responsibility of a pharmacist is to dispense the prescription medication as per the advice by the doctor to the patients.||INR 2,00,000 to 4,00,000|
|Assistant Professor||After completing the PGD in Orthopaedics, a new career option of teaching opens up for the candidates. Assistant professors are employed with recognized medical colleges and universities.||INR 4,00,000 to 6,00,000|
|Orthopaedic Surgeon||Orthopaedic surgeons are well skilled doctors/ practitioners who are trained to perform surgeries. They are specialized in diagnosis, correction, prevention and treatments of problems and ailments pertaining to the patient’s musculoskeletal systems.||INR 7,00,000 to 10,00,000|
PGD Orthopaedics: FAQs
Ques. What is Orthopaedics ?
Ques. What is Post Graduate Diploma or PGD in Orthopaedics ?
Ques. What all industries can a candidate join after successful completion of PGD in Orthopaedics?
Ques. What are the career opportunities after PGD in Orthopaedics?
Ques. Are PGD in Orthopaedics and MS Orthopaedics the same ?
Ques. Are Pharmacists Doctors ?
Ques. Do all PGD in Orthopedics perform surgeries ?
Ques. Can Physiotherapists prescribe medicines ?
Ques. What are the average fees for PGD in Orthopaedics ?
Ques. Who can apply for the PGD in Orthopaedics course ? What is the minimum eligibility ?