Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology & Obstetrics is among the various specializations available for a graduate after MBBS course.
Know More About: MBBS
The course focuses on the study of female reproductive systems and pregnancy related topics. Post Graduate Diploma in Gynecology and Obstetrics can be pursued after graduation or a diploma in the medical field with an aggregate of 50%. The duration of the course is 2 years.
Admissions for Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology & Obstetrics is done through both merit as well as entrance based processes. There are numerous entrance exams available specially for the admission into medical courses like Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology & Obstetrics. Some of the most popular entrance exams include NEET PG, AIIMS PG, JIPMER etc.
AIIMS New Delhi, CMC Vellore, AFMC Pune are some of the top colleges in India that offer Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology & Obstetrics.
The average fees of Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology & Obstetrics course varies from INR 50,000 to 5,00,000 per annum.
The educational program prepares the students in specific parts like pregnancy-related illnesses, general illnesses in newborn babies, therapy needed for pre-developed children, distinctive obstetric and gynecology-related techniques, etc
Candidates trying to seek a career as a gynecologist or obstetrician can opt for this course. The course has numerous openings in various fields like Gynaecology, female health care and maternity care.
Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics Course Highlights
|Full Name of the Course||Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology & Obstetrics|
|Duration of the Course||2 years|
|Eligibility||MBBS graduation from a college recognized by Medical Council of India (MCI)|
|Subjects Required||Human Anatomy, Gynaecology, Surgery|
|Average Course Fees||INR 50,000 - 10 Lakhs|
|Average Salary||INR 6 Lakhs – 20 Lakhs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Government Hospitals, Private Hospitals, Clinics, Own Businesses, Health Consultancy Groups, Governmental Departments|
|Job Positions||Senior Surgeon, Gynaecologist, Obstetrician, Consultant, Clinic Associate, Gynaecology Specialist, Infant Care Paediatric specialist, Senior Gynaecology Surgeon, Lecturer|
Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics Eligibility Criteria
Candidates should have a graduation in MBBS course or an identical course like BAMS from a MCI perceived clinical organization in India.
- Candidates more likely than not got a base total score of half of additional in the passing assessment.
- All affirmations will be founded on the exhibition of the up-and-comers in NEET PG assessment and directing cycles.
Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics Admission Process
- Admissions to various PG clinical courses in clinical universities across India are done based on the scores obtained in entrance exams like NEET PG, AIIMS PG, etc.
- All applicants are required to attend the entrance exams. The applicants are allotted with the desired course and college through the basis of their performance and marks scored in the entrance exam.
- Medical Council of India has ordered that the confirmation of seats will be offered to candidates based on an entrance exam which is conducted by the committee.
- Consequently, before appearing for the counselling, applicants are advised to check seat availability in the college they wish to choose in the counselling.
- The counselling process is entirely based on the marks scored by the applicants in the entrance exams.
Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology & Obstetrics Entrance Exams
Some of the top medical entrance exams conducted for the admission into Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology & Obstetrics are listed in the below table:
|Exam Name||Registration Date||Exam Date|
|NEET PG||February 23, 2021||April 18, 2021 (Announced)|
|AIIMS PG||Mar 9, 2021||April 3 & April 19 - 21, 2021|
|INI CET||March 1, 2021||3rd week of May, 2021|
Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology & Obstetrics Top Colleges
Some of the top colleges for Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics are mentioned below along with the India Today Ranking.
|India Today Ranking||College Name||City|
|1||All India Institute of Medical Sciences||New Delhi|
|2||Christian Medical College||Vellore|
|3||Armed Force Medical College||Pune|
|4||Maulana Medical College||Delhi|
|5||Jawaharlal Institute of PostGraduate Medical Education and Research||Pondicherry|
|23||Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Science||Wardha|
|29||Kasturba Medical College||Mangalore|
|-||Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research||Kolkata|
Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics Course Fees
- The annual fees for a PG clinical course in India would rely upon the popularity of the course along with the institution offering the course.
- Diploma in Gynecology & Obstetric course fees ranges between INR 50,000 - 10 Lakhs.
- Private medical colleges in India normally charge higher fees, than the government colleges whose fees will generally be less expensive.
Why Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics Course?
MBBS graduates who wish to pursue a career in the sector of gynaecology and obstetrics can settle on this course. This course can give the candidates a definite understanding than what they've concentrated on in the MBBS course. A portion of the open positions that are accessible for a graduate of Post Graduate Diploma in Gynecology and Obstetrics course are:
- Senior Surgeon (MBBS)
- Senior Gynecologist
- Senior Obstetrics
- Gynecology trained professional
A degree holder of Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics is qualified to get a more significant compensation scale from any association due to the importance of a gynaecologist and an obstetrician. They are able to earn a maximum salary up to INR 15 LPA.
Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics Syllabus
The syllabus of Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics covering the semester wise subjects are listed below
|Physiology of Pharmacy|
|Nerve Supply of Female Genetive Tract|
|Sonar and infertility Seminar|
|Malformations of the female generative organs|
|Endoscopy in Gynecology|
|Diseases in the Urinary System|
|AN/PN ward Practical Training|
|Diseases in Vulva|
|Fertility and Infertility|
|Surgery of Mullerian Ducts|
|Local Ward Practical|
|Vaginal Vault Prolapse|
|AN/PN ward training|
|Surgical theatre Training|
Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology & Obstetrics: Important Books
Some of the famous books that helps the students to study gynaecology & obstetrics in the academic point of view are listed below:
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Obstetrics Study Guide, E-Book||Gabbe|
|A Clinical Update in Obstetrics – Gynecology||Philip J DiSaia and Thomas Moore|
|Gunner Goggles Family Medicine||Shelf Review E-Book|
|Master the Wards: Obstetrics and Gynecology Flashcards||Conrad Fischer, Elizabeth V. August, and Niket Sonpal|
|Williams Obstetrics, 25th Edition||Catherine Y. Spong and Jodi S. Dashe|
|Smart Study Series: Obstetrics & Gynecology||Punit S Bhojani|
Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics: Job Prospects
- The medical industry has been known for offering gigantic and rewarding job openings for experts in subject and specialists.
- With the current population in the country, the quantity of specialists for each resident proportion, as illustrated by the WHO, is still less than required in India.
- With this absence of talented experts in the business, specialists, particularly trained professionals, can pave the way for enormous amounts of job opportunities.
- Graduates of Diploma courses are able to earn an annual salary package ranging between INR 6,00,000 - 15,00,000, initially.
- Private Hospitals and clinics are one of the better options when it comes to the annual packages that are offered to a Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics. Meanwhile, government jobs and hospitals are better known for their job security and career scope after the completion of the course.
Some of the top job positions along with the average annual salary are mentioned in the below table:
|Job Position||Average Annual Salary|
|Obstetrician/ Gynaecologist||INR 11 - 13 LPA|
|Clinical associates||INR 2 - 4 LPA|
|Professors||INR 8 - 10 LPA|
|General Physicians||INR 5,33,931|
Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology & Obstetrics: FAQs
Ques. I want admission in a Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics course. Should I have to clear any exams for that?
Ans. Admissions to various PG medical courses in clinical universities depend on the scores obtained in entrance exams like NEET PG, AIIMS PG, etc. All the applicants are required to appear for the entrance exams. The admission is purely based on the performance and marks scored by the candidates in the entrance exam.
Ques. What is the average fee for the Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics course?
Ans. The average fee for Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics course ranges between INR 50,000 - 10 Lakhs.
Ques. What is the duration of a Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics course?
Ans. The duration of Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics course is 2 years.
Ques. What is eligibility criteria for Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics?
Ans. Students should have a minimum of 50% UG (MBBS) qualifying examination and also have the required rank in the entrance exam ( AIIMS PG, NEET PG, JIPMER PG).
Ques. What is the expected salary after completing a Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics course?
Ans. After completing the Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics course salary ranging from INR 6 Lakhs to 20 Lakhs can be expected.
Ques. What are the top colleges for Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics course?
Ans. Some top colleges for Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics course are:
- All India Institute Of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi
- Armed Force Medical College (AFMS), Pune
- Maulana Medical College, Delhi
- Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), Pondicherry
- Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research (IPGMER), Kolkata
- Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Science, Wardha
Ques. What are the job roles expected as a graduate of Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics?
Ans. After completing a Post Graduate Diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics course, graduates have numerous career options like:
- Clinic Associate
- Gynaecology Specialist
- Infant Care Paediatric specialist
- Senior Gynaecology Surgeon
Ques. What is the difference between Gynecology and Obstetrics?
Ans. Gynecology focuses on the study of the female reproductive system and organs whereas Obstetrics focuses on maternity and pregnancy.