MBA in Ireland is a 1-2 year duration degree offered as a full-time or part-time executive program. With the rising competition worldwide, studies is Ireland provide an opportunity to pursue MBA at a relatively lower cost as compared to other countries like USA, UK or Australia.
- MBA at top universities in Ireland costs around 10 to 30 lakhs INR for the full duration.
- Students can expect to earn an average salary of 58- 72 lakhs INR per annum after completion of MBA.
- According to reports, MBA professionals in Ireland are among the top-paid alumni and graduates.
Why study MBA in Ireland?
- Fees to pursue an MBA in Ireland are comparatively lower as compared to MBA in UK or USA.
- As per the recent European study, students having an MBA in Ireland observes 50-60% of salary hike in their annual pay.
- Considered as Europe’s most attractive business location, Ireland is home to the European headquarters of various global giants such as Apple, Google, Facebook, Airbnb, LinkedIn, etc. providing job opportunities to MBA graduates.
- As per the recent records, top Irish universities claim that the majority of the students get placed within 6 months of graduating. For example, the average placement record of UCD’s Michael Smurfit Business School is about 88% within three months of graduating.
- MBA in Ireland is offered to students in English and is recognized worldwide.
- Ireland procures two years of stay back for the international students after completion of their degree. This helps student to find job opportunities in Ireland on a valid permit.
- Investment by the Irish government in higher studies in Ireland has increased by 10% from the last decade providing a world-class education to students.
- According to Worldatlas.com, Ireland stands 18th out of the top 25 most entrepreneurial countries.
Top MBA Colleges in Ireland
There are not many popular universities in Ireland as USA or UK. However, according to prestigious rankings such as Financial Times and The Economist, MBA program at UCD’s Michael Smurfit Business School features among the top 100 MBA programs of the world.
Also, based on QS Global MBA rankings 2020, UCD’s Michael Smurfit Business School and TCD’s Trinity Business School rank at #29 and #32 in Europe respectively.
Mentioned below are some of the best MBA in Ireland universities according to QS World University Rankings of 2021:
|QS World University Rankings 2021||University||Program and Duration||Total Program Fee (in EUR)||Total Program Fee (in INR)*|
|107||Trinity College Dublin (TCD)||MBA (12 months)||34,700||28,58,933|
|EMBA (24 months)||34,700||28,58,933|
|177||University College Dublin (UCD)||MBA (12 months)||34,500||28,42,455|
|EMBA (24 months)||31,900||26,28,241|
|238||National University of Ireland Galway (NUI Galway)||EMBA (24 months)||31,000||25,54,090|
|286||University College Cork (UCC)||EMBA (24 months)||27,000||22,24,530|
|511-520||University of Limerick (UL)||EMBA (24 months)||33,444||27,55,451|
|801-1000||Technological University of Dublin (TU Dublin)||MBA (24 months)||21,000||17,30,190|
|--||Griffith College||MBA (12 months)||14,000||11,53,460|
|--||Dublin Business School||MBA (12 months)||12,500||10,29,875|
* 1 EUR= 82.39 INR
MBA in Ireland: Highlights
|Course Duration||1 or 2 years|
|Course Type||Full time/Distance learning|
|Eligibility||Graduate from any discipline with 3 to 5 years of work experience.|
|Exams Required||IELTS; TOEFL; GMAT|
|Course Session Type||Semester-based|
|Course Fees||7.4 to 30 lakhs INR (Full program duration)|
|Top Recruiting companies||Amazon, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Apple, Johnson & Johnson, Smartling, Genesis, Citco, Genesis, Intel, Twitter, Redhat, SAP, Deloitte, etc.|
|Average Annual Salary||58- 72 lakhs INR per annum|
MBA in Ireland Admissions
The application process at universities in Ireland can be completed online. The admissions are open usually once a year and therefore students are encouraged to keep a track of the timeline and apply as early as possible.
- To be eligible for MBA in Ireland, an international student needs to have a bachelor’s degree which is standard equivalent to Irish university's primary degree level. Usually, a degree at Irish NQF level 8 is acceptable.
- Some top business schools in Ireland might require students to submit proof of GMAT* (scores ranging from 500-600) or equivalent GRE scores.
- Proof of English language proficiency through TOEFL, IELTS or equivalent exams
- Universities also require an interview for MBA admissions
*EMBA admissions aat Irish universities also accept the GMAT Executive Assessment, an exam accepted for EMBA candidates only. The exam examines the data-driven and real-world skills required on the EMBA program as well as the workplace. The test has been recently adopted by some of the top leading Executive MBA programs in the world. Trinity Business School and Smurfit Graduate Business School are two examples in Ireland. The score accepted for the GMAT Executive Assessment is 140/200.
Admission Requirements for MBA in Ireland for Indian Students
Indian students looking for MBA in Ireland require a second class honors degree equivalent (grade two or grade one). This is equivalent to a 3-4 year bachelor (hons) degree in arts, commerce, science or professional bachelor degree, etc. from a recognized university or college. The table below shows the 2:1 and 2:2 hons degree equivalent required by Indian students for admissions in MBA in Ireland.
|Qualification||Percentage equivalent||CGPA on 10 point scale||CGPA on a 4 point scale|
|2:2 Hons||60- 65% (if the first division is awarded at 60%);
65- 69% (if the first division is awarded at 65%)
|2:1 Hons||66- 74% (if the first division is awarded at 60%);
70- 79% (if the first division is awarded at 65%)
Scores and Work Experience Requirements for MBA in Ireland
All non-native English speakers looking for admissions in MBA in Ireland are required to exhibit an elevated level of ability in the English language. They can submit the standardized English test scores such as IELTS, TOEFL, or equivalent.
Also it is mandatory for students to showcase some level of professional work experience to be eligible for admissions in MBA in Ireland.
The table below shows the average scores and the minimum work-experience accepted by the Irish universities for MBA admissions:
|Top Universities||Minimum TOEFL (iBT) Scores||Minimum IELTS Scores||Minimum Work Experience (in years)|
|Trinity College Dublin||90||6.5||3-5|
|University College Dublin||100||7.0||3|
|National University of Ireland Galway||88||6.5||3|
|University College Cork||90||7.0||3|
|University of Limerick||90||6.0||4|
|Technological University of Dublin||100||7.0||5|
|Dublin Business School||--||6.0||3|
To apply for MBA admissions, international students are required to submit the following documents:
- Completed admission application form
- Academic transcripts from all educational institutions attended with their English translations
- Scores of standardized exams to study in Ireland
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Letters of Recommendation
- CV or Resume
- Copy of Passport
- Payment of non-refundable application fee
MBA in Ireland without GMAT
Although GMAT is or GRE are considered to be an important part of the admission application for an MBA in Ireland, there are universities that accept an application for MBA without GMAT. However, there are certain conditions for this. Student can apply for a GMAT (or GRE) waiver for admissions at universities in Ireland if:
- they hold a masters or Ph.D. in a quantitative discipline from a reputable university.
- has more professional work experience (8-10 years or higher).
- other professional achievements and qualifications deemed worthy enough to grant a waiver.
The decision to grant an exam waiver is at the discretion of the MBA director usually after an interview.
Also, there are certain universities in Ireland that do not require GMAT scores for admissions. Some of these include NUI Galway, Griffith College, etc.
Ireland Student Visa
International students applying for an MBA in Ireland require a visa to study and stay in the country. Non-EEA students require a D type student visa to study in Ireland. The Ireland student visa requirements include:
- Medical insurance paper from any private medical insurance company.
- Recent passport size photos.
- Bank statements which prove that the student has enough money to sustain their living in Ireland.
- A proof that will reflect that the sponsors are able to spend a nominal amount of 5-6 lakhs INR per year for the student’s study.
- A good score in IELTS or TOEFL.
- Acceptance from a university in Ireland along with the proof of paid tuition fee.
The visa acceptance rate of Ireland is about 99%, which itself reflects the smooth procedure of getting admitted to an MBA in Ireland.
International non-EEA students applying for a student visa to Ireland might need to appear for a visa interview with the Embassy in respective home countries. On successfully completing the visa process, students can make their travel arrangements to Ireland.
MBA in Ireland Cost
This section elaborates on the expenditures of studying abroad that include the pre-arrival expenses, cost of studying, accommodation cost, food expenditure and gives an overall idea of the total cost.
Pre-arrival Cost to Ireland
Pre-arrival costs to Ireland mostly include the one-time expenses that are to be paid by an international student while studying in Ireland. These include expenses on a student visa, registration fees for the various standardized exams, application fees to the university, etc. The table below shows these pre-arrival expenses to Ireland.
|Expenses||Cost (in INR)|
|Ireland Student Visa Fee||Single Entry- 4,999|
|Multiple Entry- 8,298|
MBA in Ireland Fees
The tuition fee at universities in Ireland offering MBA (full-time) ranges from 10,29,875 INR at Dublin Business School to 28,58,933 INR at Trinity College Dublin for the full program duration. The chart below depicts the tuition fees for a full-time MBA in Ireland.
There are more number of EMBA programs in Ireland as compared to a full-time MBA. The chart below depicts the tuition fee for Executive MBA (EMBA) in Ireland.
Cost of Living in Ireland
The average cost of living in Ireland is about 7-10 lakhs INR per year. These expenses include costs such as accommodation, meals, transport, books and supplies and other personal expenses. The table below shows some of the estimated monthly expenses while living in Ireland:
|Type of Expense||Cost per month (in INR)|
So, the overall expenditure of pursuing MBA in Ireland lands to an amount of around INR 15- 45 lakhs per year, depending upon the institute, course specialization and the lifestyle chosen by the students. This amount also varies when the students opt for internships and encourage themselves to earn while learning.
Scholarships for MBA in Ireland
Although studying MBA in Ireland is comparatively cheaper than other study abroad destinations, the costs can still be a matter of concern for some of the international students. To help them with this, there are a number of financial aid options such as scholarships, education loans, student employment, etc. Mentioned below are some of the popular scholarships for international students in Ireland:
- TU Dublin Centenary Scholarship Program: This scholarship covers around 50% of your tuition fees and is applicable for one time.
- Achiever MBA Scholarship or UCD MBA Scholarship: It is offered to both Irish and International students by the UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School, which covers the tuition fees for the particular academic year.
- MBA Entrepreneurial Scholarship: Awarded to students at Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School and covers 50% of the MBA tuition fees.
- University of Limerick India PG Scholarships: Merit-based scholarship awarded to Indian students at the University of Limerick. The scholarship amount ranges from 1- 3.5 lakhs INR.
- UCC Excellence Masters Scholarship: Awarded to both national and international students enrolled in a PG program at University College Cork. The scholarship covers the amount equal to the EU fees. Non-EU students are required to pay rest of the amount.
Work and Study in Ireland
Students who pursue a full-time course in Ireland do not require a work permit after a year’s duration. They can easily find some part-time jobs with minimum pay of about 1,900 INR per hour. Other ways by which students can self-finance themselves are:
- Internship programs: Students can look for internship options while pursuing an MBA in Ireland. They may be offered a stipend for their work, which can help with the living expenses in Ireland.
- Post-study pathway: Students are allowed to remain in Ireland after completion of their examinations under the Irish Third Level Graduate Scheme. So, they can easily look for jobs. During this period, students can work full-time for 40 hours a week.
Jobs after MBA in Ireland
Students with MBA degrees have a lot of career prospects in different sectors.
- Ireland itself is a home of many tech giants such as Amazon, Google, Facebook, etc., who have a high demand for MBA students.
- MBA students can start their businesses as well, as the entrepreneurial culture of Ireland is very vibrant.
- Non- EEA students can also get a work visa for about 2 years after completion of their course.
Fresher MBA graduates can expect a salary of about 35.50 lakhs INR/annum with jobs in Ireland. With experience, this salary increases up to 72 lakhs INR/annum. Shown below are some of the job opportunities after MBA in Ireland along with their average yearly salary.
|Designation||Average Annual Salary (in lakhs INR)|
|Business Operation Analyst||43.22|
|Data Quality Analyst||31.09|
|Senior Operation Manager||61.01|
|Digital Optimization Lead||32.23|
|Chief Financial Manager||101.19|
Work Permit in Ireland
After completion of the study, Indian students get some vibrant option to choose, while looking for a work permit:
- Residence Permit: After completing your studies you can apply for a resident permit in Ireland for the next few years, which will land you in getting a work permit of 2 years.
- General Employment Permit: It is a renewable grant that permits you to proceed with your professional practice for a span of two years.
- Critical Skills Employment Permit: With a legitimacy of two years, you would require a Stamp 4 on it once it terminates after the validity. Stamp 4 grant gives you the chance to remain and work in Ireland without agonizing over restoring it every other year.
MBA is a globally perceived degree intended to build up the abilities required for vocations in business and management. When it comes to the universities in Ireland, they are found to be among the top research-based education hubs. Thus, more students are attracted to pursuing an MBA in Ireland.
Ques. I haven’t completed my academic degree. Can I still apply for an MBA in Ireland?
Ans. Yes, applications from students who have not yet completed their UG degree can be accepted on a conditional basis at some of the MBA colleges in Ireland. Applicants are required to have relevant professional work experience. The confirmation is provided by the university after assessing the application documents.
Ques. What is the average age group of the students applying for an MBA in Ireland?
Ans. The average age group of students applying for MBA in Ireland is from the late 20s to mid-50s.
Ques. What are the eligibility requirements for an MBA in Ireland?
Ans. To be eligible for an MBA in Ireland, an international student must have an equivalent of 2:1 honors undergraduate degree from a recognized university or college. Apart from this, 3-5 years of working experience is mandatory for MBA admissions. Non-native English speakers are also required to provide proof of English language proficiency through TOEFL or IELTS exam. Students are required to provide GMAT scores (ranging between 500-600) or equivalent GRE scores.
Ques. What is the overall cost of studying an MBA in Ireland?
Ans. Cost of studying an MBA in Ireland varies from 10-30 lakh INR depending on the university and program of choice.
Ques. What are some of the top MBA colleges in Ireland?
Ans. Some of the top MBA colleges in Ireland include UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School, UL Kemmy Business School, UCC College of Business and Law, Trinity Business School, etc.
Ques. What is the scope after studying an MBA in Ireland?
Ans. MBA graduates in Ireland can earn an average annual salary of 58- 72 lakh INR. MBA graduates are among the highest-paid graduates in Ireland. MBA graduates are in great demand for one of the reasons being that Ireland is home to various tech giants such as Amazon, Google, Facebook, etc.
Ques. What is the effect of COVID-19 on MBA in Ireland?
Ans. Because of the current pandemic due to COVID-19, students looking for studies abroad have reviewed their decision on traveling to other countries. According to university officials in Ireland, there have been certain changes with the admissions for the 2020-21 session. International students looking for MBA in Ireland can apply for admissions at Irish universities for the 2020 session, however, the universities have requested the students to be updated with all the news concerning COVID-19 that are updated on their websites since they are continuously monitoring the situation.
- Universities are temporarily accepting Duolingo English Test or IELTS/ TOEFL Special Home Edition Test as proof of English language proficiency.
- If the students are yet to receive their degree from their colleges or universities, the Irish universities are ready to be as flexible as possible for admissions.
- Also the universities are engaging with the Visa Office for concerns regarding a student visa to Ireland for solutions and recommend students to refer to www.inis.gov.in for details.