Academic Infrastructure of IGMC and Five Other Medical Colleges to be Upgraded Soon, Check Details Here

Durgesh Rai logo

Durgesh Rai

Content Curator


The Academic Infrastructure of the Indira Gandhi Medical College (IGMC) and Hospital and five other medical colleges are to be upgraded soon. 

MBBS seats for EWS category were implemented last year and the number of MBBS seats has been increased under the EWS quota. The central government has requested the medical colleges to submit their proposals for the up-gradation of the infrastructure against the increased MBBS seats. 

The principal of IGMC, Rajnish Pathania stated that they had a meeting in New Delhi and the government has approved INR 1.2 crore per seat increase under the EWS category.

Also Read: Indira Gandhi Medical College (IGMC), Shimla Admission 2021

In the last year, the number of MBBS seats have been increased by the infrastructure of the medical colleges were not increased. In Himachal Pradesh, the MBBS seats have been increased from 100 to 200 in all the six government medical colleges because of which the total number of MBBS seats has increased from 600 to 720. 

Pathania stated that currently, the IGMC has a lecture theatre with a seating capacity to accommodate up to 100 students only. The College will try and increase the seating capacity to accommodate up to 180 students. Furniture, equipment and other facilities will also be enhanced.

From the total expenditure, 90 per cent of the expense will be borne by the Central Government and the remaining 10 per cent of the expense will be taken care of by the State Government.

“We had submitted a proposal amounting to Rs 47 crore, but we will need to submit a fresh proposal. We will soon complete the DPR and submit it within 10 days,” said Pathania.

Also Read: NEET Counselling 2020: MCC issues Stray Vacancy Round Guidelines; Check Here

Category:College