There are many universities in Sweden for international students, out of which almost all of them have similar entry requirements. To study in Sweden, students should keep in mind the general entry requirements as well as the program-specific entry requirements.
The specific requirements for university admission in Sweden will be mentioned on the university website. When the student is ready to apply, he can use the Swedish Council for Higher Education’s website to apply.
English Language Requirements to Study in Sweden
University admissions in Sweden require all international students to have certain English language skills to qualify for the university of their choice. They are as follows:
IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Requirements for Sweden Universities
To get into the top universities in Sweden, international student should qualify the IELTS requirements for Sweden universities.
- English 5: Band of 5.5. No section should be below 5.0
- English 6: Band of 6.5. No section should be below 5.5
- English 7: Band of 7.0. No section should be below 6.0
TOEFL (Test of English as a foreign language) Requirements for Sweden Universities
In order to take part in the most sought-after courses in Sweden, a student should qualify TOEFL requirements for Sweden universities.
|Exam Type /Requirement||Paper Based||Internet Based|
Total Score: 530
Total Score: 72
Total score: 100
Total Score: 90
Total score: 600
Total score: 100
- To study in Sweden, TOEFL examinee score records are not taken into consideration.
- Students need to verify their TOEFL results before applying to universities in Sweden. If this is not the case, their admission will not be accepted.
Cambridge Michigan Language Assessments Requirements to Study in Sweden
To get into the top universities in Sweden for international students, they need to have:
- Cleared MELAB (Michigan English Language Battery) for English 5, with a minimum score of 85
- Cleared MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery) for English 6, with a minimum score of 90
Pearson PTE Academic Requirements to Study in Sweden
- For English 5: Minimum score 68 and writing score 61
- For English 6: Minimum score 62 and writing score 61
- For English 7: Minimum score 47
Students should make a note that their test results should be verified, else they will not be admitted in the universities in Sweden.
Cambridge ESOL Examinations
- For English 5: Cambridge first certificate in English with grades A, B or C/ B2 First (FCE)
- For English 6: Cambridge English: Advanced/ C1 Advanced (CAE)/ Cambridge ESOL level 2 certificate
- For English 7: Cambridge English, Certificate of Proficiency in English/ C2 Proficiency (CPE)
University admission Sweden: Preparation for Bachelor’s Courses
There are two major types of Bachelor’s degree to study in Sweden. They are as follows.
|University Diploma (Högskoleexamen)||2 years||120 higher education credit courses|
|Degree of Bachelor (Kandidatexamen)||3 years||180 higher education credit courses|
Universities in Sweden for international students take in students to study in the bachelor’s courses if the student has:
- Has completed secondary school qualification
- Has a minimum proficiency in English. The requirement is same as the Swedish upper secondary course: English 6/English B
If a student fails to have previous university qualifications, they are required to submit their high school qualification. Some universities in Sweden for international students offer seats to students depending on their high school qualification and not university qualification.
Study in Sweden Requirements: Preparation for Masters Courses
The requirements to study master’s courses in the universities in Sweden for international students are:
- The student must have a Bachelor’s degree from a university which is internationally recognized. This is the same as a Swedish Kandidatexamen.
- Should be proficient enough in English. Must have qualified internationally recognized qualifications like IELTS or TOEFL.
Study in Sweden Requirements: Preparation for Ph.D. Courses
Universities in Sweden for international students are known extensively for their research. This is one of the reasons as to why Sweden is becoming an increasingly popular study abroad destination. To study Ph.D./Doctorate courses in Sweden a student must have:
- Student must have a university degree equivalent to a bachelor’s degree or a master’s degree with emphasis on the same subject that the student wishes to do his research on.
- Previous university thesis where the student has done some independent research
- Should be proficient in English. Some universities in Sweden for international students also require students to have basic Swedish skills, where seminars and lectures are conducted in Swedish.
How to Prepare to Get into Top Universities in Sweden?
To get into the universities in Sweden for international students need to make sure that they take part in additional learning methods and not simply the qualifying exams. Following are the ways that student can do this:
- Preparatory courses: These are the kind of courses that a student can undertake before he or she seeks admission in a bachelors or a master’s course in Sweden. Examples of such courses are: Pre-MBA courses, Pre-medicine courses or Pre-law courses.
- English courses: If a student is seeking admission to study in Sweden, he should make it a point to be adept enough with regards to English speaking/writing. It is essential that a student does this as some of the seminars and lectures in Sweden are conducted in Swedish. It is advisable that students undertake an English prep course before attending the university
In a nutshell, university admission in Sweden is pretty uncomplicated provided that students understand the pre-requisites of the admission process and the test requirements.