City, University of London: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
City, University of London (City) or CUL as it is commonly called is a public research university and an independent member institution of the University of London that was established by the Royal Charter in 1836. The CUL was established in 1894 as the Northampton Institute and gradually metamorphosed into a university when The City University was created by royal charter in 1966.
The university is made up of five schools including the Cass Business School. CUL joined the University of London federation in 2016. Types of programs offered at the university are short courses, bachelor, graduate, foundation, continuing professional development, and research degrees. More so, popular facilities at the university are interaction laboratory, City Sight, wind tunnels, performance and recording studios, etc.
City, University of London Rankings
City University of London is ranked:
- 350th in QS Global World Ranking in 2020.
- 401-500th in the list of World University Rankings, 101-200th in Impact Rankings and 88th in Young University Rankings by Times Higher Education in 2020.
- 663rd in the list of Best Global Universities by U.S. News and World Reports in 2020.
- 50th in the list of Best Universities in the UK and 295th in Best Global Universities in Europe by U.S. News and World Report in 2020.
- 67th in the subject of Economics and Business by U.S. News and World Report in 2020.
|Mode of Program||Full-time/ Online|
|On campus accommodation||Available|
|No. of campuses||1|
|No. of residence halls||10|
|% of international students||26%|
City, University of London Campus
- City, University of London operates with the main campus in Northampton Square and other satellite locations.
- Presently, the university has almost 20,000 students with more than 40% of them at thepostgraduate level andfrom more than 150 countries and the staff from over 75 countries.
- International students make 26% of the students’ population and students from the EU make 10%, the rest are indigenous students.
- There are four libraries and seven lecture theatres at the university.
- CUL libraries have up to 250,000 books and over 1,600 seated study spaces.
- There are 15 men’s and women’s sports teams at CUL open to students.
- 21 administrative and academics buildings serve the university structural purposes
- There are currently more than 35 students’ societies.
City, University of London Residence
- There are 10 residence buildings or halls at the university. Five of them are for undergraduates and four for graduates.
- International students and first year students are guaranteed a place in the residence halls.
- Amenities include lift, 24-hour CCTV and security, 24-hour reception, bike storage, laundry, Wi-Fi, mailboxes, communal spaces, games and cinema rooms, yoga rooms, study area, and common room.
- Room features include a bed, desk, wardrobe, bookshelf,desk chair, waste bin, and drawer.
- Housing is available for students with disabilities, medical conditions or special needs.
- Students can also choose to live off campus in accommodation provided by the private sector.
City, University of London Courses
- City University of London offers 148 taught graduate programs and 64 undergraduate programs.
- There are 10 foundation programs and 25 research degrees offered at CUL.
- Programs are offered through 5 schools that include School of Arts and Social Sciences, School of Health Sciences, School of Mathematics, Computer Science and Engineering, The City of Law and Cass Business School.
- There are 243 Continuing Professional Development programs (CPD) and 125 short courses at the university.
- Executive Education programs offered at the university are 15 in number.
- There are five different MBAs offered at CUL (with an online M. Sc/MBA inclusive).
City, University of London Application Process
City, University of London accepts applications from all domestic and overseas students. All international students who wish to study at City are required to possess a Tier 4 student visa. The general admission procedure and requirements applicable for both undergraduate and graduate students have been discussed below. However, programs may have separate requirements.
How to Apply?
The steps to be followed while applying for admission to City, University of London are as follows:
Application portal: UG applicants – UCAS portal; PG applicants: CUL graduate program application webpage
Application fee: UG applicants – 18 GBP for single program, 24 GBP for multiple programs; PG applicants – 100 GBP (MBA), however, application fee, if any, varies per graduate program.
Admission Requirements: The following documents must be submitted at the time of admission:
- Passed GCE A-Levels or its equivalent (for undergraduate programs)
- University honors degree (for graduate programs)
- Degree completion certificate
- Official academic transcripts
- Personal statement
- Interview (if applicable)
- Proof of English language proficiency
- GMAT/GRE (if applicable)
- CV(if required)
- Work experience (if required)
- Two letters of references
- Specific program requirements
English language Requirements
International applicants studying in the UK on a Tier 4 visa must submit proof of English language proficiency. The minimum requirements for these test scores are as follows:
|IELTS Academic and UKVI*||Minimum 5.5 in each component.|
|TOEFL IBT and TOEFL IBT Special Home Edition (MyBest scores are not accepted)||Overall of 72 with nothing less than 17 in Writing and Listening, 18 in Reading and 20 in Speaking|
|Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic*||59 in each element, (writing, speaking, listening, and reading).|
|Cambridge English Advanced (CAE) and Cambridge English Proficiency (CPE) *||162 or higher in all sections (Level B2).|
*Exam results should not be more than two years from the date that the CAS is made to be accepted.
Note: CUL is presently accepting IELTS from all test centers and not just those identified by UKVI on the SELT list. Also, the university is currently accepting the Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic only.
Applicants from English speaking countries are exempted from submitting proof of English language proficiency.
City, University of London Cost of Attendance
- The tuition fee for international students varies depending on the choice of course.
- An estimated cost of attendance for City, University of London is tabulated below:
|Expense||Estimated cost (in GBP)|
|Tuition fee (for undergraduates)||19,000 - 25,500|
|Tuition fee (for graduates)||19,000 – 29,500|
|Accommodation||150-280 per week|
|Utility Bills||10 per week|
|Food||40-60 per week|
|Travels||10-30 per week|
|Study Materials||5-10 per week|
|TV license||3 per week|
|Mobile and Internet||10 per week|
|Entertainment||20-50 per week|
|Miscellaneous||20 per week|
City, University of London Scholarships/Financial Aid
- There are up to 49 different scholarships offered at City, University of London.
- Financial aid open to international students include grants, scholarships, student jobs, and graduate fellowships.
- Some scholarships exclusive to international students include:
|Scholarship Name||Eligibility Criteria||Amount Awarded|
|Engineering scholarships for international applicants||Awarded to top non-EU international applicants that have gotten admission into engineering programs||2000 GBP|
|Chevening Scholarship||Awarded to postgraduate international students with academic merit. Applicants must be enrolled in the School of Arts and Social Sciences.||Variable|
|Academic Achievement International Foundation Progression Scholarships||Awarded to international students progressing from INTO City in 4 of City’s Schools.||3000 GBP|
|Global Leaders Scholarships||Awarded to students applying for first year of study on the basis of academic merit.||1000 GBP|
|President's International Scholarship||Awarded to international students commencing first year and having AAA or A*AA at A Level or IB of 35+||2000 GBP|
City, University of London Alumni Network
The City, University of London has an alumni network of more than 140,000 active members that are growing year by year.
Alumni membership benefits include:
- Access to CUL library and electronic archives
- Access to discounts on services like foreign exchange, private medical insurance, and premium airport lounge passes
- Discounted sports and gym membership
- Lifelong official email service from the university
- 10% discount on tuition fees for graduate applicants that are alumni
Notable alumni of the University include:
- Margaret Thatcher –Former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- Jawaharlal Nehru - First Prime Minister of the Republic of India
- Muhtar Kent – President and CEO of Coca Cola
- Brian Wynter – Governor of Bank of Jamaica
- Ellie Crisell – BBC presenter
City, University of London Placements
Through the Professional Liaison Unit, City, University of London connects students to employers for internships, work-based learning, and permanent job opportunities in the UK. CUL’s Cass Business School graduates are among the top five earning Business School graduates in the United Kingdom. They earn an average of 50,500 GBP yearly. The median salary of Mechanical Engineering graduates (B. Sc) from CUL is 16,200 GBPaccording to data from the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA). The average salary of Nursing graduates (B. Sc) was recorded as 34,000 GBP per annum.
FIND A PROGRAM
Times Higher Education
RANKED #351 - #400
RANKED #501 - #600
RANKED #101 - #125
RANKED #401 - #500
RANKED #501 - #600
View More >>
QS World University
I visited at my uncle's house and he recommended me to stay back and do my further studies from the UK recommended me colleges in the UK and insisted me to take admission in this college as it was one of the best and popular colleges of the UK so, I decided to take admission here I was required to pay an application fee of £21 to apply through the online portal of the college.
Course Curriculum :
My course is very updated and interesting. I was taught about computers from a very basic to an advanced level and I loved how everything was taught in a very simple manner. The program helps us develop a strong interest in software technologies is a requisite, together with a desire to understand how they work and are built.
I did my bachelor's in Computer Science and then went to a Consulting agency in Hyderabad to get recommendations about the masters in Computer Science and they recommended it to colleges in the UK between them I chose this one as a found it to be the best suited for me. I was required to pay an application fee of £20 and apply through the online portal of the college.
Course Curriculum :
Through this program, I developed a deep understanding of the subject I was taught about the algorithm as well as the programming languages. The curriculum mainly covers core foundational skills such as programming, progressing to cover a range of computing topics with a focus on professional application, while maintaining a strong theoretical underpinning.
Since after completing my high school education, I started preparing for my entrance to pursue my higher education in UK from a reputed university. I applied to many universities through a consulting firm and got admission to this university. The charges that I had paid for my application was £85.
Course Curriculum :
Through my course structure, I had approached the subject from practical, vocational, creative and entrepreneurial directions. I had also gained knowledge from the latest Cass research in areas such as finance, marketing, innovation, and responsible management
My colleagues in my company whose relative lives in London, told me about this university. He told me about the whole admission process of the university and his relatives also helped me in getting my admission done to this institute. Another reason that attracts me here was its worldwide ranking in the business sector. I paid £85 to submit my application through the online portal.
Course Curriculum :
My course put strong emphasis on balancing research-led teaching with experiential learning such as consulting for small-business owners, preparation for joining an accelerator and field trips.
My college offers a platform to explore one of the world's most dynamic and diverse global cities. Studying an undergraduate degree at City not only allows you to benefit from the close links with industry but also provides access to all the top cultural attractions of the country's metropolitan capital city. I had applied through an online application along with £20 application charge.
Course Curriculum :
In this module we will introduce a number of advanced and multivariate data analysis methods and lead you through their background, rationale, practical application, and interpretation, using step by step explanations. Knowledge of these will help you understand, evaluate and draw informed conclusions from the complex analyses of other researchers, address how you will utilize the data in projects you design, and encourage you to analyze existing datasets in alternative ways.
- Bus Station
- Train Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary