General Student Visa for UK (Tier 4) - Visa Checklist, Processing Time, Fee, Requirements
All the international students from outside UK or EU in the UK are required to apply for a study in UK visa. For this, they must fulfill all the visa requirements for the UK. For the international students who intend to study a full-time degree course studies in the UK, there are Tier 4 visas. These are of two types- General Student visa and Child Student Visa.
UK General Student Visa (Tier 4) Guidance
Tier 4 general student visa is issued to foreign students who are at least 16 years old and want to enroll to study in the UK. Eligibility is calculated using a points-based rules system. Student visa requirements in the UK are:
- Course confirmation
- The applicant must have a CAS (Confirmation for Acceptance of Studies).
- It should be from a university that is approved by UK visa and Immigration (UKVI).
- All the universities must have been given or applied for HTS (Highly Trusted Status) on the UKVI Tier 4 sponsor list (30 points).
- CAS numbers can also be issued by the colleges that are ‘A rated’.
- The applicants must provide evidence of funding to pay for course tuition fees and monthly living costs.
- You can fetch 10 points with it.
- The applicants wishing to study in the UK except in London must prove that they have 1,324 USD per month to live and study.
- The applicants who want to study in London must be able to prove that they have 1,650 USD per month.
- Visa application
- The applicants must visit the UK Visa and Immigration website and complete the online application form.
- All the international students apart from the ones from North Korea have to submit the visa application online.
- At the visa application centre, you will be required to have your fingerprints and photograph.
- Immigration Health Service Charge
- All the nationals from outside Europe coming to the UK for more than 6 months to study has to pay a health surcharge of £300 per year.
- This is mandatory to gain access to the UK’s National Health Service.
- The students have to pay it at the time of submitting their visa application online.
- It has to be paid for the total period of their UK visa.
Note-Students can apply for a study in UK visa once they have received a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies). You should not apply until you have been accepted into a course.
Documents Required to Apply for a Tier 4 UK Visa
- Details of passport
- Tuberculosis test results if the candidate is from a country that has to take the test.
- Criminal record certificate
- Proof of financial sufficiency that you have enough funds for your entire period of stay in the UK. The cost must include study cost and living and accommodation cost.
- Unconditional written consent of sponsor to the visa application
- Parents’ or legal guardian letters if you are under 18.
- Recent passport size photograph
Rejection Reasons for Tier 4 Visa and How to Avoid Them
- Missing documents:
- The students must go through the visa policy guidance and must be prepared with all the documents in advance.
- Every document provided has to be original.
- In case you are unable to provide any original document, then you must provide an explanation letter along.
- Failure to meet financial requirements:
- Every student has to show 1,326.77 USD per month to stay in UK to cover the study and living expenses.
- The students have to show this amount for their entire course duration.
- Incorrect document format:
- The students must provide the documents in the given format.
- Every translated document shall contain date, name, signature, and contact details of the translator.
- Genuine student interview:
- In the interview, the applicants are asked a number of questions about their choice of course and future plans.
- The students are required to be very clear about their thoughts and must be able to convince the interviewers about their choice of studying in the UK.
A successful visa application for UK is not luck, but a result of good preparation. You must be well prepared in advance and do your best so that the application does not get rejected.
Tier 1 Post-Study Work Visa
- It is a way for international graduates from the universities in the UK to stay in the UK for a year after graduation.
- It helps the graduate visa holder to gain some relevant work experience before they go back to their home country.
Tier 1 Post-Study Work Visa Requirements
- A Bachelor's Degree, Master's Degree, PhD, a Post Graduate Certificate or Diploma (including PGCE) from a recognized institute in the UK
- Apply within 12 months of finishing the course;
- Must work during the 12 months for which the visa is valid;
- Meet the English language ability visa requirement in UK
- Sufficient funds, as specified by the UK Government at the time of application.
What to Take With You at the Visa Application Centre?
- Print out of the email confirming the details of your appointment
- Valid passport or travel document
- Print out of your completed visa application form
- All the supporting documents
- Print out of registration details if you have pre-registered for your visit online
When you arrive in the UK with a student visa, somebody from the UK Border Agency (UKBA) will meet you. Your passport details will be cross-checked by them. If everything goes smoothly, then the UKBA officer will let you enter the UK to begin with your study abroad adventure!