Indian Institute of Management (IIM Calcutta) is the 1st Indian Institute of Management to be established in India. The institute provides Post Graduate, Executive and Doctoral level programs in the field of management. Admission is done through a valid CAT or GMAT score. Being established for 50 years, the Institute has consistently seen a high number of recruiters and students have served in reputed firms across the world.
It is widely considered to be one of the best business schools in the world for finance-related courses. The PGDBA (Post Graduate Diploma in Business Analytics) has been ranked as 14 all over the world in the QS Masters of Business Analytics survey. It is ranked topmost in employability.
IIM Calcutta Highlights
|Established | Type||1961 | Public Institute|
|Accreditations||AMBA, EQUIS, and AACSB|
|Ranking||NIRF: 3rd among management institutes|
|Campus Area||135 acres|
|Total Students||1016 (Male: 736 | Female: 280)|
|Total Faculty||95 (incl. 94 Ph.D. holders)|
|Type of Programs||PG, Doctoral and Executive|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance Exam|
|Partner Institutes||Bocconi University, Italy|
|Copenhagen Business School, Denmark|
|Ivey Business School, Canada|
|Olin Business School, USA|
IIM Calcutta Rankings
Tabulated below are the latest achievements of the Management Institute in India and abroad:
|NIRF ||26th in the overall category||2019|
|NIRF ||3rd among management institutes||2019|
|The Economic Times||5th among management category||2019|
|Financial Express||3rd in the overall category||2019|
IIM Calcutta Courses
Tabulated below are the courses offered by the management institute at different levels:
|MBA||Bachelor’s Degree with at least 50% marks (45% for reserved category)|
|A valid score in CAT|
|MBA Executive (MBA Ex.)||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|5 years of professional/managerial experience|
|Valid GMAT score|
|4.5 to 10 years of work experience|
|PGDBA||Master’s degree with 60% marks in aggregate|
|Ph.D.||Master’s degree in any discipline with 50% marks|
|CA with a minimum of 50% marks (OR) CS with 55% marks|
|Must have a valid score in CAT exam or other exams like GMAT/ UGC-NET/JRF|
IIM Calcutta Fees
Tabulated below is the fee structure of the programs offered at the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta:
|Course Name||Total Fees|
|MBA Executive (MBA Ex.)||INR 27,00,000|
Check: IIM Calcutta Fees
IIM Calcutta Admissions
The candidates fulfilling the eligibility criteria can apply for admission through the official website of the Institute. For MBA and Ph.D., the candidate must register themselves on the official website of CAT, to be eligible for admission. Following are the exams accepted by the Institute for admission in its academic program:
Minimum marks required for shortlisting process
|Category||Section - I (QA)||Section - II (DILR)||Section - III (VA)||Total Percentile|
|OPEN||≥ 75||≥ 80||≥ 80||≥ 85|
|NC-OBC||≥ 65||≥ 65||≥ 70||≥ 75|
|EWS||≥ 65||≥ 65||≥ 70||≥ 75|
|SC||≥ 60||≥ 60||≥ 65||≥ 70|
|ST||≥ 55||≥ 55||≥ 55||≥ 65|
|PWD||≥ 55||≥ 55||≥ 55||≥ 65|
Candidates who secure the above-mentioned minimum percentile in CAT in respective categories will only be considered for calculation of their composite score in Stage II. The Composite Score is calculated by computing the percentage of marks (Class 10 and Class 12) and assigning weights to different components such as:
- CAT Score
- Class 10 marks
- Class 12 marks
- Marks in the Bachelor’s Degree
- Gender Diversity Factor
The maximum points assigned to the candidates who score 80% or above in Class Xth or XIIth will be 10 and 15 points respectively. The final selection is derived as per the following criterion. The corresponding weights against each parameter are listed below, which are further used for the preparation of the category-wise merit list.
|Personal Interview (PI)||48|
|Written Ability Test (WAT)||10|
|Point awarded for Academic Diversity at Bachelor’s level for Non-Engineering degree||04|
Note: The Institute has altered its weightage parameters for the purpose of shortlisting by increasing the weightage assigned to the academic performance- 56% weightage for the CAT score and 44% for the academics hence, making it more beneficial for candidates from all academic backgrounds.
- For admission in PGP Ex. and PGDBA, the Institute conducts an aptitude test and personal interview of the eligible candidates. To apply, one must visit the official website of the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta and fill an application form. To submit the form, the candidates must pay INR 2000 as an application fee.
- The institute also provides a doctoral program under 11 specializations, admission to the same will be granted on the basis of CAT/GMAT/UGC NET. To apply for admission to any of the courses, the candidates must visit the official website of CAT. An application fee needs to pay by candidate of INR 1900 to while submitting the form. One can also take admission through referrals, wherein they need to contact the referees in order to initiate the recommendation process.
Click here: IIM Calcutta Admission
IIM Calcutta Placements
The institute witnessed a great improvement in the placement drive for this year. The following are the placement statistics of the academic programs offered at the Institute.
PGDBA Placement Statistics
|Total Batch Size||52|
|Average Package Offered||INR 22.89 LPA|
|Highest Package Offered||INR 47.02 LPA|
|Median Package Offered||INR 21.36 LPA|
|Average work experience of students||25 months|
MBAEx Placement Highlights 2018-19
|Total Batch Size||66|
|Average work experience of students||8.3 years|
|Highest CTC offered||INR 124.9 LPA|
|Mean CTC offered||INR 26.98 LPA|
|Total number of offers made||62|
|Total companies participated||69|
PGPEx Placement Statistics
|Average Domestic Salary||INR 23.67 LPA|
|Highest Salary||INR 89.25 LPA|
|Total number of companies||65|
|Total no. of offers made||61|
|Total no. of students participated||68|
The major recruiters of the institute include Accenture, Amazon, Cognizant, Ford, HSBC, Sutherland, The VKC Group, Vector, OYO Rooms, Trident Group, Swiggy, Nissan Digital, Guiltfree Industries, Invest Punjab, Udaan, Spencers, Lynk Logistics, etc.
Read More: IIM Calcutta Placements
IIM Calcutta Scholarships
A number of scholarships sponsored by different companies like Aditya Birla Group, Ratan Tata Trust, T. Thomas Scholarship are available for the deserving students. These scholarships are available on the basis of merit and various criteria. Some of them are the following:
- B.P. Poddar Scholarship
- India Carbon Scholarship
- T. T. Krishnamachari Award
- Dr. K. Nath Public Trust Award
- BPL Prize
- TIL Scholarship
- IIMC Alumni Association, Calcutta Chapter Prize
- Dr. B. C. Roy Memorial Gold & Silver Medals
- Chairman's Prize
- John Wynne Prize
Check: IIM Calcutta Scholarship
IIM Calcutta Facilities
The Institute has one of the best infrastructures for both students and faculty members. It has world-class classrooms and academic buildings to facilitate learning in a better way. Following are some of the facilities offered:
- Library: It has a collection of more than 1.6 lakh volumes of books, 500 journals, and 40,000 online journals. The library is considered to be one of the best management libraries in Asia. It is fully equipped with modern facilities and computerized services.
- Computing Facilities: There is a network of around 1000 computers, 4 digital Alpha servers, and 7 Novell file servers. It also has an internet network for the students to easily access the resources available online.
- Hostels: The Institute comprises of a total of 3 hostels namely White Hostel, New Hostel, and Old Hostel. Old Hostel is a co-ed hostel with a separate building for female students, whereas the other two hostels are for boys. They are designed in a homely way to help the students easily adjust t a new environment.
- Auditorium: Indian Institute of Management Calcutta has one of the best academic campuses in the country. The auditorium of the institute has a seating capacity of 750 seats. It is equipped with the ultra-modern and professional light system.
IIM Calcutta Faculty
Given below are the details of some of the faculty members teaching at the Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta:
Prof. Rajesh Babu Ravindran
- Qualifications: LL.B., LL.M., M.Phil, and Ph.D.
- Awards: Global Scholar, Hague Academy of International Law, Legal Affairs Division, Center for Studies and Research
Prof. Abhishek Goel
- Qualifications: MBA and Ph.D.
- Awards: Research Fellowship; Chaudhary Padmanabhan Pant Award; Full Scholarship at Young Scientist Program; Japan International Cooperation Agency
Prof. Anindya Sen
- Qualifications: B.A., M.A., and Ph.D.
- Awards: Merit Certificate, National Scholarship; All-University Pre-Doctoral Merit Fellowship; The J.C. Sinha Economics Prize; Prof. Panchanan Chakraborty Memorial Award
Prof. Debashis Saha
- Qualifications: B.E., M.Tech, and Ph.D.
- Awards: Best Paper Award in Sierre; Fellow of West Bengal Academy of Science & Technology; Young Faculty Award; Best Poster Paper Award.
Prof. Megha Sharma
- Qualifications: B.Tech and Fellow at IIM Ahmedabad
- Awards: Recipient of Gargi Puraskar; Industrial Finance Corporation of India Thesis Proposal Award; Prof. M.M. Dandekar Memorial Gold Medal
Know more: IIM Calcutta Faculty
IIM Calcutta FAQs
Ques. What are the documents to be sent along with the application form?
Ans. The list of documents to be sent is as follows:
- Duly filled-in application form
- Application fee paid by demand draft
- GMAT scorecard
- Proof of proficiency in English, if applicable
- Self-attested scanned copies of original certificates and mark sheets/transcripts of examinations passed / degrees obtained.
- Statement of Purpose
- Two Letters of Recommendation
Ques. What is the average batch strength at the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta?
Ans. The strength of the batch varies from year to year as per the Institute requirements. At present, a total of 280 students studying in MBA, 210 in MBA Executive and 15 in Ph.D.
Ques. I do not have a GMAT score. Am I eligible for applying to PGPEX-VLM?
Ans. Yes, you are eligible for the course. GMAT/ GRE score is not mandatory for taking admission in the course. If you have the score, it will be treated as a part of your academic record. However, the institute selects candidates only on the basis of aptitude test at institute level.
Ques. What is the structure of the Aptitude test taken for admission in PGPEX-VLM?
Ans. The aptitude test will be of 2 hours under which the test comprises of 3 parts. Part I consists of analytical ability, Part II for verbal abilities, and Part III is for engineering aptitude. There will be a 25% negative marking in the Aptitude Test. The venue and timings for the aptitude test will be provided by VLM office itself.
Ques. I am a final year student of Engineering can I apply for the Doctoral program at the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta?
Ans. Yes, you can apply for the program at the Institute. However, if selected, you will be provisionally admitted until you furnish all the documents satisfying the eligibility criteria. The deadline for submitting the final year documents is 31st December of the year of admission.