Tulane University 2020-2021 Admissions: Acceptance Rate, Requirements, Deadlines, Application Process
Recent admissions at Tulane University saw more than 41,253 applications for its UG programs alone. Out of these, only 13.15% were admitted, making it a very selective place to study in the US. International students from 30 countries are included in its student body.
The university has an overall enrollment of 14,062 students with around 5,452 students enrolled in different graduate and professional programs. The university has a diverse student body with around 6% of international students.
Most popular programs at Tulane University include Architecture, Business, Social Work, Law, Liberal Arts, Medicine, Public Health and Engineering. Admitted freshmen had an average SAT score (combined) was 1456, whereas their average GPA was competitive at 3.56. Average ACT scores were very competitive ranging from 31-33.
The Admissions Committee reviews applications holistically, which includes all required application materials (application form, essay, resume, academic background, recommendation, and test scores), to assess an applicant's motivation, maturity and ability to successfully complete a graduate degree. Overall, the application review process at Tulane University is very stringent with an acceptance rate of 17%.
- University accepts Common Application as well as the University application.
- ACT and SAT scores are not required for international students, however, they are required for financial aid.
- Tulane University offers need-based financial aid to international students (up to 23,000 USD)
- An interview is strongly encouraged by the university, however not mandatory for admission.
- UG applicants are required to submit a letter of recommendation from the school counselor.
- There are no tours of the campus, but the Admissions Team is available to discuss any questions. One can take a virtual tour on the website.
- For students applying for graduate programs, applications are due on January 15, 2021.
- For Law College, Tulane’s On-Campus and Off-Campus Interview programs will be rescheduled for January 2021.
- According to the latest guidance from the U.S. government, if one doesn't want to attend classes on campus, "can temporarily engage in distance-learning, either from within the U.S. or outside the country, in light of COVID-19."
|Application Portal||Common Application/University Application Portal|
|Application Fee||Varies with course|
|Intake Sessions||Fall/ Spring|
|Work Experience||Required for some courses|
|Institutional code||SAT/TOEFL code: 6832 ACT code: 1614|
|International Student Admissions||Tule University International|
The office of undergraduate admissions received around 43,891 applications for the class of 2024, out of which 11% were offered admission. This shows that Tulane university is highly competitive with a low acceptance rate.
They have extremely high requirements and usually admit only the top 6%. The students admitted are usually in the top quarter of high school. The average SAT range is 1410-1510. 23% of applying students submit their SAT scores. The university considers the top 7% of SAT takers for admission. The average ACT range is 31-33 and the university considers the top 5% nationally.
Tulane University Admission Deadlines
Some of the important deadlines for freshmen are given below. The deadlines for graduate programs vary from program to program.
|Early Action||November 15|
|Early Decision||November 1|
|Early Decision II||January 6|
|Regular Decision||January 15|
Tulane University International Student Admissions
Tulane University has 1,282 international students, from over 86 different countries. The university has an Office of International Student and Scholars that provides programming, visa services, and language/academic support to the international student population.
There are several additional requirements for the international students along with the general requirements which are the same as the US applicants.
- Official transcripts of educational institutions attended previously.
- If the transcripts are not in English, then both the original transcript as well as an English translation has to be uploaded.
- Records should be submitted through Naviance or email by an institution counselor or official.
- Records sent by students will not be considered.
- A recommendation form by the high school guidance counselor has to be submitted directly by the counselor.
- English proficiency test scores
- Official scores of different standardized tests
- ACT/SAT scores (optional)
- Certification of Finances form.
- There are various specific departmental requirements as well which include auditions and interviews.
English Proficiency Test Scores
Minimum required scores for admission are given below.
Visa Process for International Students
- The selected applicants will be issued the immigration document (I- 20 or DS-2019) from Tulane University.
- Following documents have to be submitted by the applicants in order to obtain the immigration document
- Financial documents which include a current bank statement
- A copy of the biographical page and page which has the expiration date of the passport.
- English language proficiency documents
- After receiving the immigration document, applicants have to pay the SEVIS I- 901 fee.
- Apply for F- 1 OR J-1 visa by completing the DS- 160 visa application.
- Documents required for completing the DS- 160 visa application are:
- 2*2 Photograph
- SEVIS fee payment receipt and visa processing fee receipt
- Travel itinerary
- International travel history
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of admission and invitation obtained from the college
- Schedule and attend the visa interview by consulting the US embassy in your country
Tulane University Undergraduate Admissions
Tulane University has five Undergraduate schools offering 75+ majors. Areas of study available are Architecture, Business, Liberal Arts, Public Health & Tropical Medicine and Science & Engineering. General admission requirements for bachelor’s programs are mentioned below.
Where to Apply: Common Application/ Tulane Application
- Official transcripts of secondary school.
- Grades for at least 3 years of secondary school.
- Secondary school report or Letter of Recommendation from a guidance counselor.
- SAT or ACT scores.
Tulane University Graduate Admissions
Tulane University provides a number of master's programs in the field of Architecture, Law, Liberal Arts, Medicine, Social work, and Business. Each course has specific admission requirements. However, the basic requirements for admission are the same for all courses.
Where to Apply: Varies for most programs
- Official transcripts
- English language proficiency
- GRE/GMAT scores
- Letter of Recommendation
- Work Sample
- Statement of Purpose
|Course||Application Portal||Application Deadline||Application Fee (non- refundable)||Academic Requirements||Minimum English Language Proficiency|
|LLM||LSAC||May 1||60 USD||Juris Doctor or LLB or equivalent first basic law degree,
Two LORs, CV, Personal statement Full Disclosure
|TOEFL iBT- 90; TOEFL PBT- 575
IELTS- 7.0; TWE- 3.5
|Master of Accounting||Tulane Application||Spring - November 1||125 USD||Official transcripts, One LOR,
CV Resume Essay GMAT/GRE score
|TOEFL iBT- 90; TOEFL PBT- 575
IELTS- 7.0; TWE- 3.5
|Master of Business Administration||Tulane Application||November 1, February 1, May 1
Rolling admissions after May 1
|125 USD||Official transcripts, One LOR,
Resume Essay GMAT/GRE score
|TOEFL iBT- 90;TOEFL PBT- 575
IELTS- 7.0; TWE- 3.5
|Master of Architecture||Gradapply||January 15||Free||Portfolio (Architecture only), CV,
Official transcripts, GRE/GMAT Scores, SOP, LOR
|TOEFL - 78; IELTS - 6.5|
Tulane University has a selective admission procedure. The acceptance rate for recent admissions was 13.15%. The university considers a number of criteria while admitting students which includes academic results, standard test scores, work experience etc.
International applicants should complete their applications as early as possible so that they can get more time to complete the visa process and other procedures.
The university released the admission decision after 3-4 weeks of submitting the complete application.
Ques. Are students allowed to take double or triple majors in undergraduate programs at Tulane University?
Ans. Students can choose to major in multiple study programs within more than one of Tulane's five undergraduate schools.
Ques. Can foreign language requirement be waived at Tulane University?
Ans. No. According to the Undergraduate College curriculum, students may not test introductory language courses by showing proficiency in the SAT II language test or A.P. tests. Still, they must take at least two semesters of language at Tulane.
Ques. Which test is required for psychology at Tualne University: GRE general test, MAT, and GRE subject area?
Ans. Only the GRE general test is required at Tulane.
Ques. What are average scores for a new student at Tulane University?
Ans. The average GRE scores of students entering Tulane in the the past five years were V=159; Q=153, and the average entering GPA was 3.60.
Ques. How do I track my application?
Ans. All communication will be made through email. It is important to give the right email ID.
Ques. How long will it take for processing?
Ans. Application processing takes 2 weeks approximately.
Ques. Is the online interview compulsory?
Ans. No. The student can however take it up if he/she intends to. They can do it via Initial View, Vericant, or Duolingo English Test.
Ques. Is it possible to do a double major?
Ans. Yes, it is. Check the college website for further information.
Ques. How many credits have to be earned to complete graduation?
Ans. 150 credits have to be earned to complete graduation.
Ques. Can foreign language requirements be waived?
Ans. No. SAT II language test or AP tests have to be taken. The students have to take 2 semesters of language at Tulane.