Princeton University is a private Ivy League research university located in Princeton, New Jersey. Established as the College of New Jersey, the university is the 4th oldest higher education university in the United States.
The university offers 142 degree and certificate programs at the undergraduate, masters and doctoral level. It has more than 8,000 students enrolled in 37 academic departments. The most sought-after majors at Princeton University-
- Public Policy Analysis, General
- Computer Engineering, General
- Econometrics and Quantitative Economics
- History, General
- Operational Research
Why Choose Princeton University?
- Largest endowment per student in the United States at USD 2,638,721 for 2019.
- 26 faculty and staff are Nobel Laureates; 1,458 hold research funding awards
- Associated with 63 Nobel laureates; 15 Field Medalists; 13 Turing Award laureates
- Alumni and faculty hold 21 National Medal of Science; 5 Abel Prize winners; 5 National Humanities Medal recipients; 209 Rhodes Scholars; 139 Gates Cambridge Scholars; and 126 Marshall Scholars
- Athletic achievements include 37 varsity intercollegiate teams, 113 participants in the Olympics, 206 National Championship winners.
- Leading the new NSF-funded coalition of 17 institutes with the aims to create computing power for discoveries in high-energy physics. The institute is called Institute for Research and Innovation in Software for High Energy Physics (IRIS-HEP).
- Contributes more than USD 2 billion to the local economy annually
Program, Faculties, and Divisions at Princeton University
Princeton University offers degrees and certificates at undergraduate and graduate level in more than hundred courses in 42 departments across 4 divisions -
- Social Sciences
- Natural Sciences
Princeton University Campus and Residence
Princeton University has one campus located at Princeton, New Jersey occupying an area of 500 acres.
- More than 200 buildings on campus
- 6 residential colleges
- 10 on campus libraries
- McCarter Theatre, a Tony Award winner, was built by the Princeton Triangle Club
- Princeton University Art Museum has a collection of 92,000 objects
98% of UG students and 70% of graduate students in reside in 6 UG residential colleges and 1 graduate house on campus.
Princeton University Admission Process
Pre-Requisites for Admission into Princeton University
- Test scores: SAT/ACT for UG students; GRE/GMAT for graduate students
- English language proficiency test score: TOEFL; IELTS; or PTE
- Statement of Purpose
- Letter of Recommendation
- Graded writing sample preferably in subjects of English or History(undergraduate students)
- Resume or CV(graduate students)
- Additional documents as specified by department one is applying for
Apply online directly at https://www.applyweb.com/apply/gspuappl/ on the official website. Candidates get two choices during the time of application for 1st-year admission –
- Single-choice early action –apply before November 1.
- Regular decision – apply before 1st January.
The non-refundable application fee for UG programs is $70 and for graduate programs is $90.
Cost and Expenses
Tuition fee for domestic and international students at different campuses are tabulated below:
|Tuition rates ||Amount|
|Tuition fee||$ 51,870|
|Books and supplies||$1050|
|Room charges||$ 10,090|
|Meal plan||$ 6,500|
|Board rate||$ 7,060|
|Residential college fee||$ 930|
|Estimated miscellaneous expenses||$ 3,500|
|Cost of travel||$ 100 to $ 2,500|
Scholarships, Bursaries, and Financial Aids
- Around 60 % of the undergraduates receive financial aids.
- Students from lower income background with annual income of $ 65,000 receive full scholarships
- The families making up to $ 180,000 are qualified for financial aids.
- The international students are also qualified for the financial aids benefit.
- Financial aids vary depending upon the student’s financial background.
Student must submit the fill the following forms to apply for financial aids –
- Princeton Financial Aid Application (PFAA)
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Alumni consists of two former U.S. Presidents; 12 U.S. Supreme Court Justices with 3 currently in office; and a number of living billionaires, U.S. Congress and U.S. Cabinet members. Princeton University alumni have access to –
- Degree-related information
- University libraries
- Princeton U-Store
List of a few notable alumni:
- James Madison –4th President of the United States of America.
- Woodrow Wilson –28th President of United States of America.
- Michelle Obama –American lawyer and writer; served as the First Lady of the United States of America from 2009 to 2017.
- Prince Moulay Hicham – he is the 1st cousin of the current Prince of Morocco.
- Pete Conrad –NASA astronaut and the Commander of Apollo 12. He was the 3rd man to walk on Moon.
- Jerome Powell – the 16th and current Chairman of the Federal Reserve.
- Jeff Bezos Founder and CEO of Amazon Diana Beverly Matheson –Canadian international soccer player.