The School of Planning and Architecture, Bhopal (SPA Bhopal) was established in 2008 by the Ministry of HRD and it provides UG, PG as well as Doctorate course in the field of architecture. The college is a fully centrally funded technical institution (CFTI). The courses offered by the university include B.Arch, B.Plan, M.Arch, M.Des, to name a few. Admission to the UG courses is made through the JEE (B.Arch) and similarly, admission to the PG courses is made through the JET entrance examination. For M.Arch and M.Plan courses, admission is made depending on the candidate's score in GATE, and for M.Des aspirants, admission is made through the CEED entrance examination. Finally, the university conducts an entrance exam followed by an interview for candidates planning to apply for the Ph.D. programs.
The college has a 75-acre campus located in Bhopal and provides its students with all the required facilities and amenities. Admission to foreign candidates is made via qualifications from different boards and universities, which are recognized by the AIU.
SPA Bhopal Highlights
Tabulated below are the admission highlights and other important details of this institute:
|Name of the Institute||SPA Bhopal|
|Established I Institute Type||2008 I Public|
|Location||Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh|
|Campus area||75 acres|
|Accepted Exams||IIT-JEE Mains|
|Basic Admission Criteria||Entrance-based|
|Application Mode||Online and offline|
SPA Bhopal Ranking
Listed below are the recent rankings of this reputed institute:
- This premier institute is affiliated to the MHRD and was recently ranked 7th in the NIRF 2020 rankings under the architecture category and was ranked 5th in the NIRF 2018 rankings.
- The institute was recently ranked 7th by Outlook India.
- The institute ranked 1st in the teaching category in the NIRF 2018 rankings.
- Apart from this, the institute consistently ranks in the top 10 architecture institutes of the country.
SPA Bhopal Courses
The institute offers several UG, PG, and Doctorate programs under the field of architecture to eligible candidates. Tabulated below are the course details of all the programs offered along with their essential eligibility criteria and selection criteria:
|Course Name||Specialization||Duration||Basic Eligibility Criteria||Selection Criteria|
|B.Arch.||-||5 years||Passing 10+2 examinations with a minimum of 75% with PCM||JEE Mains|
|M.Arch||Urban Design||2 years||55% in B.Arch./B.Plan from the recognized university with 1-year experience||60% Seats of Postgraduate programs shall be filled through CCMT & 40% directly through admission test conducted by the institute|
|M.Des||Visual Communication and Product Design||Bachelor's degree from a recognized university||Admission Test|
|M.Plan||Urban and Regional Planning||55% in B.Arch./B.Plan from the recognized university with one year experience||60% Seats of Postgraduate programs shall be filled through CCMT & 40% directly through admission test conducted by the institute|
|Transport Planning and Logistics Management|
|Ph.D||-||3 years||A minimum of 60% in Master's degree in planning or Architecture / Technology/design or a minimum of 55% in B.Arch. / B.Plan with at least five years of experience (55% for SC/ST)||Based on an Entrance Exam followed by an interview conducted by the university|
Read more: SPA Bhopal Courses & Fee
SPA Bhopal Admission
Admission to the UG courses is made through the JOSAA. The application procedure for the UG programs is done offline, and the candidates have to take the application forms from the college itself.
The registration process for the PG, as well as the Ph.D. programs, is done online. The candidates must abide by the given instructions mentioned while duly filling the application form -
- First, go to the official webpage of the institute, as mentioned above.
- Next, select the program you are interested in
- Then click on the "Fill up the form" button.
- Fill in all the required data.
- Upload your photograph
- Finally submit the duly filled form
For payment of the application fee, the candidates need to go to the SBI payments portal and choose the required program.
- The application form can be taken from the college's admission office.
- Candidates can also download the application from the official website of the college.
- Next, you need to fill the printed application form.
- The application form needs to be accompanied by the DD Demand Draft in favor of SPA Bhopal, which is payable at Bhopal, of INR 1000 for general category, and Rs 500 for SC / ST /Physically disabled candidates.
- Application fee for the Doctoral program is INR 3000 for the unreserved / OBC / EWS, and similarly, for SC / ST /PwD, the fee is INR 2000. For Master's program, the fee is INR 2000 for the unreserved / OBC / EWS, and for SC / ST /PwD, the fee is INR 1000.
- All these details, along with the form, need to be sent to the college.
- Candidate's Mark sheet of their 10 + 2 examination.
- Candidate's GATE/JRF/CEED exam scoresheet.
- Candidate's Original Birth as well as Caste Certificate
- Candidates need to have a professional certificate awarded for extracurricular or co-curricular activity.
Read more: SPA Bhopal Admission
SPA Bhopal Placements
Listed below is the placement scenario at SPA Bhopal:
- The institute's on-campus placement is still in the development phase.
- Due to the brand name of SAP, its students get placed relatively quickly.
- The institute houses a Training and Placement Cell, which guides students in choosing suitable companies for professional training and helps in the placement of graduating students.
Read more: SPA Bhopal Placement
SPA Bhopal Scholarships
SPA Bhopal offers scholarships to the needy and meritorious students under the following categories:
- The scholarship is awarded to the SC / ST Students.
- It is offered to the topper of the first year batch.
- The college also offers scholarships to meritorious students.
- The State Government also provides scholarships to the meritorious students.
Read more: SPA Bhopal Scholarships
SPA Bhopal Facilities
Here are some of the many facilities provided by this institute:
- Highly Updated Library with a lot of books on relevant subjects.
- Hostel accommodation for students
- AC Auditorium
- Computer Lab
- Convocation Hall
- Counseling Sessions
- Gymkhana facilities
- Hospital facilities for students.
SPA Bhopal Faculty
One of the key strengths of this college is its excellent teaching faculty. Most of the students are very satisfied with the teaching level, and the institute also ranked #1 in the NIRF 2018 rankings under the teaching category. The College has approximately 62 faculty members at the positions of head of department, associate professor and assistant professor. Apart from this the college also has visiting faculty and contractual faculty.
Read more: SPA Bhopal Faculty
Ques. Is SPA Bhopal a government college or a private college?
Ans. SPA Bhopal is a government college which comes under the Human Resource Development Ministry of India.
Ques. Why should one choose to study at SPA Bhopal?
Ans. Primarily, SPA is a centrally funded institution that is directly under the Human Resource Development Ministry of India. This necessarily means that students are taught a skill based curriculum and also provided with ample opportunities in the work field. Secondarily, the college has a 75-acre campus located in Bhopal and provides its students with all the required facilities and amenities. There is also a very huge exposure of foreign exchange students.
Ques. Where is SPA Bhopal located?
Ans. SPA Bhopal is located at Neelbad Rd, near IISER Institute, Bhauri, Madhya Pradesh 462030. College is 11 km away from the Bhopal airport and It is around 1 – 2 km away from the Bhopal Junction Railway station.
Ques. Is there a separate hostel building for the boys and girls at SPA Bhopal? What is the fees for the hostels?
Ans. Yes, the college provides hostel facilities to all its students. There are separate buildings for the boys and girls hostel within the campus. It’s not compulsory but since the campus is located far away, most of them stay in hostels only. For Odd Semester, total hostel’s fees including mess, maintenance, electricity, room rent, etc is INR 11000 and for Even Semester it is INR 6000.
Ques. What are all facilities that are provided by SPA to the students?
Ans. There are many facilities available for the students. The college has tried to give a holistic experience to all its students so the facilities provided are also alike, such as - Boys Hostel, Girls Hostel, Library, Sports ground, Cafeteria, Auditorium, Medical/Hospital, IT Infrastructure, and Labs.
Ques. What kinds of activities are there for its students apart from academics at SPA Bhopal?
Ans. The students have access to various clubs such as photography, music, sports, etc. Each year educational tours are planned by the college which helps to develop a more practical outlook for the course details. An ECO club has also been formed by the budding architects of SPA Bhopal.