Diploma in Photography is a one-year diploma course that is designed for students who aspire to become professional photographers. The course provides specializations in Documentary and Travel and Nature Photography.
The basic eligibility criteria to apply for Diploma in Photography is that the student should have passed 10+2 in any stream from a recognized central or state board and must have keen interest in photography.
Admissions to Diploma in Photography are granted on the basis of personal interviews or portfolio of photographs taken by the candidate, depending on the college requirements for admission. Some institutes also conduct entrance exams such as Delhi School of Photography Entrance Exam, Andhra University Entrance Exam, Creative Hut Institute of Photography and Film Entrance Exam etc.
Read More: Top Diploma in Photography Colleges in India
Sri Aurobindo Centre for Arts and Communication, Indian Institute of Photography, Light and life Academy are a few top reputed colleges that provide the professional course Diploma in Photography. The course covers subjects such as Foundation of Photography, History of Photography, Basics of Photoshop, Natural and Artificial Lighting etc. The average annual fee of Diploma in Photography depending on the institute ranges from INR 65,000 to INR 5 LPA.
The annual average salary after completing the course Diploma in Photography ranges from INR 2 LPA to INR 5 LPA. Post completion of the course, the job profiles candidates can opt for include Wildlife Photographer, Wedding Photographer, Cinematographer, Videographer, Fashion Photographer, Product Photographer, Photojournalist, etc. The top recruiting companies are National Geographic, Amazon, Flipkart, The Times of India, Discovery Channel, Conte Nast, etc.
Diploma in Photography Course Highlights
|Full-Form||Diploma in Photography|
|Course Type||Full Time|
|Eligibility||Must have passed all subjects in 10+2 in any stream from a recognized central board or its equivalent|
|Admission Process||Merit Based, Entrance Exam and Personal Interview|
|Average Course Fee||INR 65,000 - INR 5 LPA|
|Average Salary||INR 2 LPA - INR 5 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||National Geographic, Discovery Channel, Conte Nast, The Times of India, Flipkart, Amazon|
|Job Profile||Wildlife Photographer, Wedding Photographer, Cinematographer, Videographer, Fashion Photographer, Product Photographer, Photojournalist|
|Employment Areas||Digital Media Houses, Film Industry, News & Media, Photography Shops, Wildlife Photography/Documentary|
What is the Diploma in Photography Admission Process?
For admissions to Diploma in Photography, the candidates need to go through the below mentioned steps:
- Most of the colleges offering Diploma in Photography select candidates based on their performance in aptitude tests conducted by the college or personal interview of the candidate.
- The students who are eligible to apply for the course need to apply through online mode by going on the website where the registration forms are available.
- The students can register themselves online and fill up the application form duly with all the required details and then pay the registration fees online.
- The final selection of the candidate for the program will be based on the merit list of the respective colleges.
- After clearing the Personal interview, the students are contacted by the colleges over mail and call for final selection after which they have to pay the course fees.
- Some colleges also require the students to share a portfolio of photographs taken by the candidate applying for the course.
Diploma in Photography: Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for students to apply for Diploma in Photography is the same in most of the institutes. The details are mentioned below:
- The students should have passed all subjects in 10+2 in any stream from any state or central board or its equivalent.
- In some colleges the eligibility criteria for the students are that they must be a graduate from any discipline and must have passed all subjects.
- The students must have a keen interest in photography with basic knowledge of taking a photograph
Diploma in Photography: Entrance Exams
- AAFT: Asian Academy of Film and Television conducts a global entrance exam AAFT GEE which is an online test to evaluate the candidate’s aptitude which is followed by a personal interview.
- Creative Hut Institute of Photography and Film Entrance Exam: It is an institute level entrance exam conducted for admissions to Diploma in Photography and other related courses offered by the institute.
|Entrance Exam||Application Form Last Date||Exam Date|
|AAFT GEE||To be Announced||To be Announced|
|Creative Hut Institute of Photography and Film Entrance Exam||To be Announced||To be Announced|
Diploma in Photography: Tips to Clear Entrance Exams
- The candidate should go through the syllabus for the entrance exam mentioned on the website of the college.
- For Diploma in Photography the online aptitude test will include basic questions about the camera and taking a photograph, hence, the candidates need to refer to photography books to prepare.
- The candidates can prepare with the help of reference material online about photography and top photographers in the country for the aptitude test.
Diploma in Photography: Tips to get the Best College
- For the students to get into a good college they need to prepare well for the personal interview that a few colleges conduct.
- The students can take help of online articles about the body language and answers to give during an interview to help prepare for it.
- The students can prepare answers to the basic questions asked in a college interview like the reason for choosing the field, the interest in specific photography and its reasons.
- The student applying for the course must have a keen interest in photography to be selected as a candidate for the program Diploma in Photography.
- The students should have a portfolio of photographs taken by them in the past as it shows the work and perspective of the candidate applying for the program.
Diploma in Photography: What is it About?
The general features of Diploma in Photography are:
- The training and education include a variety of specialized sessions in interdisciplinary fields of photography including wildlife, portrait, candid, street, still photography and more. Diploma in photography is a specialized course where the students can explore different aspects of photography with extensive practice with different subjects and perspectives
- The scope of this program is to impart knowledge to students about the basics of photography and what entails a good photograph.
- The program focuses on sharpening the minds and knowledge of students in terms of different kinds of photography like still photography, street photography, wildlife photography, fashion photography, nature photography.
- The students can choose their specialization after learning the basics of photography in theory and practice and the grooming is done on the basis of the specialization.
- The course is structured around the different aspects of photography like the camera, lighting, the subject and perspectives.
Diploma in Photography: Course Advantages
- Diploma in Photography is a specialized program which is focussed on educating, training and developing knowledge of students to work in the photography industry.
- Photographers are required in fashion shoots, product shoots, Photojournalism, Magazines shoots and this course provides the training and knowledge to excel in the respective fields.
- The creativity and work required for the photographers is taught through the extensive and practical training given to students in this program. The course teaches them about the lighting and the cameras that are required to take a good photograph by professionals.
- In Diploma in Photography the students get to explore different subjects and types of photography to understand their potential and work which can help them further in their career.
- Candidates get to work in Add media, News media, Documentary firms, Magazines, Event management organizations, Theatre, Movies etc.
- Most valuable job positions offered are PhotoJournalists Fashion & Advertising Photographers, Wildlife Photographers, Portrait Photographers, Feature Photographers, Fine Art Photographers, Forensic Photographers and many more.
Diploma in Photography: Course Comparison
Below tabulated is the comparison between Diploma in Photography and Diploma in Cinematography to help students choose the best course for them:
|Parameters||Diploma in Photography||Diploma in Cinematography|
|Name of the Course||Diploma in Photography||Diploma in Cinematography|
|Overview||Diploma in Photography is a year-long course focusing mainly on building the foundation of light, photography and camera basics.||Diploma in Videography is a 1 or 2 years course built on the concept of skills and techniques of filmmaking .|
|Admission Procedure||Entrance exam like AAFT GEE, personal interview or portfolio of photographs||Personal Interview of the candidate as well as merit based|
|Average Course Fee||INR 65,000 - INR 5,00,000||INR 35,000 - INR 1,25,000|
|Eligibility||10+2 in any stream from a recognized board||10+2 in any stream from a recognized board|
|Job Profile||Wildlife Photographer, Wedding Photographer, Photojournalist, Fashion Photographer||Camera Production Assistant, Motion Control Operator, Camera Operator and Camera Assistant|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2 LPA - INR 5 LPA||INR 80,000 - INR 3 LPA|
Know More: Diploma Courses in India
Diploma in Photography: Top Colleges
|Name of College/ University||Average Fees|
|Indian Institute of Photography, New Delhi||INR 65,000|
|Light & Life Academy, Ooty||INR 3,35,000|
|Sri Aurobindo Centre for Arts and Communication, New Delhi||INR 3,35,000|
|World University of Design, Sonepat||INR 1,44,000|
|Institute for Photography Excellence, Ahmedabad||INR 8,000|
|Raviraj Institute of Art and Culture, Coimbatore||INR 12,000|
|Uttar Pradesh Rajarshi Tandon Open University, Allahabad||INR 4,900|
|Asian Academy of Film and Television, Noida||INR 1,50,000|
Diploma in Photography College Comparison
|Parameters||World University of Design, Sonepat||Light & Life Academy, Ooty|
|Overview||World University of Design is one of the top 10 private universities which offers many UG, PG, PhD, Diploma and Certificate level courses.||Light and Life Academy is India’s first and only custom designed Professional Photography Institute, founded by one of India’s leading Photographers.|
|Location||Sonepat, Haryana||Ooty, Tamil Nadu|
|Eligibility||10+2 in any stream from a recognized central or state board can apply online for the course.||Admission in this institute is open to any graduate in any discipline.|
|Admission Process||The admission is on the basis of first come first serve.||Two rounds of personal interview post review of the online application|
|Average Fees||INR 1,44,000||INR 3,35,000|
Diploma in Photography: Syllabus
|Semester I||Semester II|
|History of Photography I||History of Photography II|
|Introduction to Image Making||Documentary Photography I|
|Basics of Digital Photography||Photojournalism|
|Basics of Photoshop||Research: Theory and Practice|
|Street Photography||Writing for Photography|
|Basic Lighting and Flash techniques||-|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Advanced Lighting Techniques||Commercial Photography|
|Portraiture: Environmental/Location||Portfolio Production|
|Studio Portraiture||Documentary Photography II|
|Still Life||Documentary Research and Project|
Diploma in Photography: Course Books
Below mentioned are some of the useful tips for candidates opting for Diploma in Photography course:
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Understanding Exposure||Bryan Peterson|
|Better Photo Basics: The Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Taking Photos Like the Pros||Jim Miotke|
|DSLR Photography for Beginners||Brian Black|
|Photoshop for Photographers||John Slavio|
|Extraordinary Everyday Photography||Brenda Tharp And Jed Manwaring|
|Langford’s Basic Photography: The guide for serious photographers||Michael Langford|
|The Art of Photography||Bruce Barnbaum|
|Photography: The Definitive Visual History||Tom Ang|
Diploma in Photography: Job Prospects
Employment opportunities are expected to stay pace with continuing rapid growth in the photography industry. Diploma in Photography opens up a wide range of opportunities for candidates in various sectors. Below tabulated are the most preferred Job Profiles along with their description and average salary:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Travel Photographer||The role is to take photographs of a location or subject by traveling to different places.||INR 3 LPA|
|Wildlife Photographer||The role is to take photographs of wildlife for magazines and tourism boards.||INR 3.60 LPA|
|Fashion Photographer||The role is to take photographs of models dressed in designer clothes and accessories.||INR 3.84 LPA|
|Photojournalist||The role of a photojournalist is to take photographs pertaining to an editorial story in a newspaper or magazine.||INR 3.50 LPA|
|Street Photographer||The role is to take pictures of the general subject of people and everyday life for magazines and publications||INR 3 LPA|
Diploma in Photography: Future Scope
- After pursuing Diploma in Photography, the students can go for further studies in India or abroad for further specialization in the Photography industry.
- The students can work under mentorship of established photographers for experience and knowledge.
- The students can freelance for publication and work on projects.
- The students can also get paid by different online and offline organizations for their photographs
- Wedding photography is an industry with a lot of scope as the market is shifting towards professional photographers for Pre-wedding shoots to Post-wedding shoots.
- Cinematography is also a fast growing profession in the film industry where the creative minds of photographers are appraised positively.
Diploma in Photography: FAQs
Ques. Can I become a photojournalist after Diploma in Photography?
Ans. The course Diploma in Photography prepares students for different work fields in photography like fashion photography, Still photography. After completing the course photojournalism is a profession that the students can pursue.
Ques. What are the Global opportunities after pursuing Diploma in photography?
Ans. Photography has a global market as a lot of fields, especially the publications and fashion industry are constantly looking for fresh talent in terms of photographers. Globally the students can work on projects by different companies.
Ques. What is the required Skill Set for Diploma in Photography?
Ans. The skill set required for Diploma in Photography is a keen interest in photography and cameras. The candidate interested in pursuing this course needs to understand the basics of taking a photograph with dedication and creativity work on capturing a subject.
Ques. How is the placement post completion of Diploma in Photography?
Ans. The placement post completion of Diploma in Photography can be in the Fashion industry as a Fashion photographer. Publications like National Geographic can also hire wildlife photographers and freelance with them on projects.
Ques. Is Diploma in Photography a specialization course?
Ans. Diploma in Photography is a specialization course for those who have a keen interest in photography and want to make a career out of it. The program teaches you the basics of camera, photography and editing of photographs which can help build a career as a photographer.
Ques. What is the learning scope of Diploma in Photography?
Ans. There is a very wide learning scope of Diploma in Photography as foundational knowledge of operating a camera to capture a subject and the light required are taught. The understanding of the editing of the photographs are also an essential part of learning which is also covered in this program
Ques. What should I choose after completion of my Diploma in Photography? Post-graduation or Job?
Ans. Since Diploma in Photography is a specialization course it is recommended to get a job post completion of the course to get experience by working on live projects. The job gives a better understanding of the kind of photography you can further specialize in later.
Ques. Can I work on my own as an entrepreneur photographer after completing Diploma in Photography?
Ans. The course Diploma in Photography prepares the students through the practical projects and portfolios during the duration of the course to work independently. Working with an organization or a mentor in the beginning can help with the work experience but the individual photographers can also work independently as an entrepreneur.