MDS Oral Surgery is a 3-year postgraduate course with specialization in Oral surgery which involves diagnosis, surgery and treatment of oral related diseases and defects of Human mouth and face and connected body parts such as the face, Jaws, tissues of the mouth etc.
MDS Oral Surgery eligibility criteria require candidates to pass BDS from a recognised dental council of India along with a one-year internship.
The admission in MDS Oral Surgery is based on merit and entrance test.
Know more: MDS Oral Surgery Top Colleges List
After completing MDS Oral Surgery students can get hired as Dentists, Oral Pathologist, Dental Hygienist, Dental Lab Technician, Professors etc. An average salary of the student who has completed the course will range from INR 3-INR 15 Lacs which depends on skills and candidate experience.
MDS Oral Surgery: Course highlights
|Degree||MDS Oral Surgery|
|Eligibility||BDS in relevant stream|
|Admission Process||Entrance /Merit|
|Course Fee||INR 10,000 to 25 Lakhs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3 to 15 Lakhs|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Dental Colleges, Private clinics, Health Clubs, Nursing Homes|
|Job Roles||Dental Assistants, Dental Surgeon, Dentist|
What is the MDS Oral Surgery Admission Process?
MDS Oral Surgery admission process differs from college to college. Some Colleges accept merit marks along with the Entrance test performance of the candidate. The candidates will also need to complete a 1-year internship.
Merit Based Admission
Interested candidates need to fill the forms available on official website of the College with all basic details, upload the required documents, pay the application fees and submit it.
Entrance Based Admission
- Candidates will need to register themselves for the entrance exam
- After registering themselves enter the Mobile number, Email address etc
- Candidates then need to fill in the Basic personal details like Marks, Address, etc to prove the eligibility
- Upload the Documents, Photograph and Signature according to the said size and format.
- The candidates must then save the application and other details for future purpose.
- Lastly, the candidates will need to submit the application fee. The application can be submitted in online mode. All options such as (Credit/Debit/Net Banking) are available.
MDS Oral Surgery: Eligibility Criteria
For getting admission in MDS Oral Surgery the candidate must fulfil the below given eligibility criteria:
- The candidates must have completed the BDS from a recognised institute that is approved by the dental council of India with a minimum of 55%.
- The candidate needs to qualify the entrance test that College accepts
- The candidate must have completed the internship of 1-year internship after the BDS course.
MDS Oral Surgery: Entrance Exams
Various entrance exams for MDS Oral Surgery are conducted by the college. Some of the major entrance exams are mentioned below:
- AIIMS PG: The AIIMS conducts this online exam for admission in MDS, MD, MS courses.
- NEET MDS: The NBE conducts this exam for taking admission in all PG dental programmes offered by Colleges in India.
The application and exam dates of the above-mentioned entrance exams are tabulated below.
|Entrance Exam||Application Period||Exam Date|
|AIIMS PG||September 29- October 12, 2020||November 20, 2020|
|NEET MDS||October 2021- November 2021||December 2021|
MDS Oral Surgery: Tips to Clear Entrance Exams
In order to crack entrance exams for pursuing MDS Oral Surgery, the candidate has to keep some points in mind.
- Start preparing for entrance exams earlier to score good marks and to get admission in good college.
- Use reference books for every subject as these books can help one in understanding the topics and concepts easily
- Practice previous year question papers before the exam to help understand the pattern of question paper.
- Attempt test papers to check how much knowledge you have and which points need more understanding
MDS Oral Surgery: Top Colleges Admission Tips
Students who really wish to pursue MDS Oral Surgery from the top College/Institute should keep few tips in mind:
- Prepare well for the exams to get admission in top colleges.
- Make a list of best colleges and compare the pros and cons of all as it will help you in choosing the best one
- Submit the applications before the deadline so as to book the admission seat
- Prepare well for personal interviews as many colleges select candidates on the basis of interview only
- In case of Colleges that grant admission to candidates on the basis of merit, then candidates need to score good in 10+2.
MDS Oral Surgery: What is it About?
MDS Oral Surgery is a post graduate programme that involves diagnosis as well as treatment of diseases, injuries, deformities that affect all types of issues involving the areas around the tooth, mouth, jaws, face, neck etc.
- This course equips a person with theoretical knowledge and practical knowledge for performing oral surgery.
- This course will prepare students to handle conditions that are related to jaw region.
- This programme fosters development of research skills, advanced clinical skills, etc. that are required in any specialist.
MDS Oral Surgery: Course Advantages
After the completion of MDS Oral Surgery students can work in the dental sections of dental clinics, research centres, hospitals, educational institutions and so on.
- Candidates can also get hired as a professor in dental Colleges/Institutes.
- The average salary ranges between INR 15000-INR 1 lac which all rely on the skills and experience of candidates
- Candidates can also pursue a PhD degree for better salary packages.
MDS Oral Surgery: Course comparison
Tabulated below is the comparison between MDS Oral Surgery and MDS Conservative Dentistry to help candidates choose the best one.
|Parameters||MDS Oral Surgery||MDS Conservative Dentistry|
|Full Name||Master of Dental Surgery Oral Surgery||Master of Dental Surgery Conservative Dentistry|
|Overview||This course involves diagnosis, surgical as well as treatment of diseases, defects and injuries in human jaws.||This course involves diagnosis, prevention as well as treatment of teeth, gums and other mouth areas diseases.|
|Duration||3 years||3 year|
|Degree Type||Post Graduate||Post Graduate|
|Average Fees||INR 10.00-INR 25.00 Lacs||INR 2-INR 20 Lacs|
|Avg Salary Package||INR 3-INR 15 Lacs||-|
Read more: Jobs after MDS Conservative Dentistry
MDS Oral Surgery: Top Colleges
Listed below are some MDS Oral Surgery top Colleges that are tabulated below:
|College Name||Course Fee|
|King’s George Medical University (KGMU)||INR 2.32 Lacs|
|Pt Bhagwat Dayal Sharma postgraduate institute of Medical science||INR 63,459|
|The Institute of Medical Sciences||INR 33,278|
|Manipal College Of Dental Sciences - [MCODS], Mangalore||INR 48.10 Lacs|
|Nair Hospital Dental College, Mumbai||INR 2.11 Lacs|
MDS Oral Surgery: College Comparison
Tabulated below is the comparison between top 3 MDS Oral Surgery Colleges in India to help students choose the best one.
|College Name||Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences||Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Mangalore||SRM Dental College|
|Overview||Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences, New Delhi is ranked 1 for dental by NIRF. It is affiliated to the medical council of India.||Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Mangalore ranked 6 in dental in NIRF 2020 ranking. It is affiliated to dental council of India.||The College is accredited by NAAC and offers BDS, MDS and PhD courses.|
|Eligibility||Completed BDS Degree||Passed BDS degree||Completed BDS Degree from recognized Institute|
|Admission process||NEET PG||NEET PG||NEET PG|
|Course fee||INR 46,800||INR 48.10 Lacs||INR 39.50 Lacs|
MDS Oral Surgery: Syllabus
The branch wise breakup of MDS Oral Surgery course is tabulated below.
|Branch 1||Branch 2|
|Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery||Periodontics|
|Applied Basic Sciences||Applied Basic Sciences|
|Minor Oral Surgery and Trauma||Etiopathogenesis of Periodontal Diseases|
|Maxillofacial Surgery||Diagnosis, Treatment, Preventive Periodontology and Implantology|
|Recent Advances in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery||Recent Advances in Periodontics|
|Branch 3||Branch 4|
|Conservative Dentistry||Oral Pathology|
|Applied Basic Sciences||Applied Basic Sciences|
|Conservative Dentistry including Preventive dentistry and dental Materials||Oral Pathology, Oral Microbiology & Forensic Odontology|
|Endodontics||Laboratory and Histopathological Techniques|
|Recent Advances in Conservative Dentistry||Recent Advances in Oral Pathology|
|Applied Basic Sciences||-|
|Growth and Development, Basics in orthodontics, Diagnosis & Radiology||-|
|Bio-Mechanics & Various Orthodontics Tissue Changes, Techniques & Treatment Planning||-|
|Recent Advances in Orthodontics||-|
MDS Oral Surgery: Most Recommended Books
Some of the important MDS Oral Surgery books that deal with fundamental concepts are mentioned in a table below.
|Name of the book||Author|
|Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Vol I & II||Daniel M. Laskin|
|Textbook of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery||Neelima A. Malik|
|Oral & Maxillofacial Infections||Richard G. Topaz|
MDS Oral Surgery: Job Prospects
MDS Oral Surgery candidates can apply both in the private and public sector. They can get job opportunities in different areas like Nursing Homes, Health Clubs, Défense Services, Child Care Units, Community Hospitals. They can also apply for the post of teacher / professor depending on their education and experience
|Job Profiles||Job description||Average Annual Salary|
|Qualified Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons||Specialist working in areas of mouth, jaw and related mouth parts.||INR 1,45,000- INR 10,30,000|
|Dentist||Dental practices related to the mouth, gums related cavities and other issues.||INR 116,600-INR 1,203,913|
|Dental Assistant||Works as an assistant and set patients ready for treatment and get their all dental records.||INR 32,20,000-INR 4,30,000|
MDS Oral Surgery: Future Prospects
Upon completion of the MDS Oral Surgery course, candidates can also go for further studies to enhance their career.
- PhD: Candidates can pursue a PhD degree in a relevant stream for better job options.
- Fellowship Course: Candidates can also pursue fellowship programme which is a post residency programmes. The programme contains training in focused areas of speciality.
MDS Oral Surgery: FAQs
Ques. Is MDS Oral Surgery a good career?
Ques. When to start preparing for MDS Oral Surgery entrance exam?
Ques. After MDS Oral Surgery what other super speciality courses can I pursue?
Ques. Do all colleges have the same syllabus pattern for MDS Oral Surgery?
Ques. Does College offer placement to students of MDS Oral Surgery?