PhD in Finance & Accounts is a minimum 3-year full-time course which can be extended to 5 years dealing with the basics of finance and accounting. Candidates holding a Masters degree or an equivalent degree from a recognized organization with 55% aggregate marks are eligible for this course.
PhD in Finance & Accounts is mainly chosen by the students who want to pursue some research work in the financial and accounting field with analytical, logical and time management skills. Candidates must have a postgraduate degree in the relevant subject from a recognized university.
Admissions to PhD in Finance & Accounts are done based on the entrance exam score followed by a personal interview session in the counselling conducted by the respective college itself. Candidates need to appear in exams like GATE/NET/JRF/SET etc. to hold a valid score for admissions in PhD Finance & Accounts.
Some top colleges for the program are Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology, Department of Management Studies IIT Delhi, FORE School of Management, NMIMS University, BITS Pilani etc
See More: PhD Finance And Accounts Top Colleges
The average course fees for the program ranges from 10,000 to 100,000. The fees vary with the college. Some selected candidates might also be eligible for scholarships.
The course curriculum is more of a research-based curriculum in which thesis are prepared and some financial subjects are taught to the students. Subjects taught are Business Environment, Financial and Management Accounting, Business Economics, Business Statistics and Data Processing, Business Management, Marketing Management, Financial Management, Human Resource Management, Banking and Financial Institution.
Graduates have a lot of scope after finishing the course. They can pursue post-doctoral programs in finance, economics or other related programs. The graduates can also pursue post-doctoral fellowships or as an economist, lecturer, etc.
There are ample career options available in this branch and firms like State Bank of India, NBFC, BM Munjal University etc. hire students on the job prospects of Teacher/ Lecturer, Banking Manager, Researcher, Economist etc. With ample career options available, the average salary for fresher ranges around INR 3,00,000 to INR 8,00,000 per year.
PhD Finance & Accounts: Course Highlights
|Full-Form||Doctorate of Philosophy in Finance and Accounts|
|Duration||2 years (minimum). Extended up to 5 years|
|Examination Type||Semester type + research thesis|
|Eligibility||Candidate with a Masters degree in the respective field from a recognized university with minimum of 55% marks.|
|Admission Process||Entrance-based + Interview|
|Course Fee (Annually)||INR 8,800 to INR 64,292|
|Average Salary||INR 3,00,000 to INR 8,00,000|
|Top recruiting companies||State Bank of India, NBFC, BM Munjal University|
|Job Positions||Teacher/ Lecturer, Banking Manager, Researcher, Economist etc.|
PhD Finance & Accounts: Admission Process
PhD in Finance and Accounts is a doctorate course in which admissions are granted only on the basis of entrance examinations; either conducted by a university or central body followed by a counselling round, group discussion and personal interview. The most popular examination which is required for admissions is the NET/ GATE/ SET/JRF examination conducted by a central body. Here are the steps which need to be followed for applying in PhD Hospitality:-
- Research: Study various colleges and know about their admissions date and procedure which is followed for the admissions.
- Register: Candidates need to fill up the necessary details with email ID, phone number, and other basic columns for initial registration.
- Attach Documents: Upload all the necessary documents by attaching it with the application form like mark sheets, certificates etc.
- Pay the application fee: For completing the registration, pay the registration fee with any online mode of payment.
- Attend examination: Download the entrance examination admit card and prepare to pass the entrance examination. After qualification, register for the particular college to get admitted to the institute.
Every college follows a particular procedure to admit students in PhD Finance and Accounts. Below is the general procedure followed for a PhD in Finance and Accounts:-
- Register: Fill up the form by mentioning important details, entrance examination marks and attach the documents to the college registration form.
- Merit list: As per the candidate’s entrance examination marks, a merit list is formed by every college and a cut off is decided for candidates.
- Counselling procedure: After getting qualified on the basis of entrance examination marks, the candidate needs to appear for a group discussion and personal interview round for the final selection.
Admissions are solely done on the basis of aggregate marks scored by the candidates in the entrance examination and counselling round.
PhD Finance & Accounts: Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates should hold a postgraduate degree in the relevant specialization from a recognized university.
- Students who have completed the courses or are in their final year examinations are eligible to apply for the PhD admission process.
- Candidates should have a valid entrance examination score, either university examination or central examination for getting admission in PhD Finance and Accounts.
- Some of the universities also ask for previous work and research experience for admitting students.
PhD Finance & Accounts: Entrance Examination
Every college follows different criteria for admitting students in PhD Finance and Accounts, similarly, there are different entrance examinations considered by universities for examination:-
- GATE: GATE is a National Level Exam conducted annually which is conducted to check the knowledge base of students before admitting in masters or doctorate course. A valid score in the GATE examination makes a candidate eligible for taking admissions in PhD Finance and Accounts.
- CSIR-NET: The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) conducts a National Eligibility test for PhD and Junior Research Fellowship admissions. It is also considered for recruiting professors in various colleges.
Here is summarised information about some important entrance examination considered for PhD in Finance and Accounts admissions: -
|Examinations||Mode of Examination||Registration||Date of Examination|
|GATE 2021||Offline||To be announced||Closed|
|CSIR-NET||Offline||To be announced||July 2021 (Tentative)|
|State Eligibility Test SET||Offline||To be announced||To be announced|
How to Prepare for the PhD Finance & Accounts Entrance Exams?
All the entrance examinations which are being considered for admissions in PhD Finance and Accounts are similar and follow an objective evaluation based upon the aptitude, reasoning, subject matter and language evaluation. Here are certain tips and tricks which need to be taken care of while preparing for the entrance examination:
- The PhD entrance examinations are mostly based upon the particular subject specialization for which a candidate is appearing with a common aptitude and reasoning part.
- The objective-based examination should be prepared by keeping all the necessary points in mind.
- The post-graduation subjects should be prepared well for the subject specialization part.
- Practice well some aptitude, general reasoning questions along with language expertise.
- Observe the examination pattern and practice previous year papers for better time management.
How to get admission to a good PhD Finance & Accounts College?
- Prepare well for the entrance examination to get a good score for reserving a seat in a reputed PhD Finance and Accounts college.
- Practice for the group discussion and interview round with fluency in language and knowledge base.
- The colleges need to be selected as per the preference. Know all the requisites of the desired college to get admission to that particular college.
- Keep your research thesis and work experience handy for scoring good marks in the collected entrance examination and counselling round.
- Do track the important dates like registration date and counselling date and follow them positively.
PhD Finance & Accounts: What is it about?
PhD in Finance & Accounts is a minimum 3-year full-time course which can be extended to 5 years dealing with the basics of finance and accounting.
- PhD in Finance & Accounts is mainly chosen by the students who want to pursue some research work in the financial and accounting field with analytical, logical and time management skills.
- The curriculum is defined in a way to cater knowledge about accounting and financial management along with the economic affairs of the country.
- The course curriculum is more of a research-based curriculum in which thesis are prepared and some financial subjects are taught to the students.
- The course fee ranges from INR 8,800 to INR 64,292 per year as per the college.
- There are ample career options available in this branch and firms like State Bank of India, NBFC, BM Munjal University etc. hire students on the job prospects of Teacher/ Lecturer, Banking Manager, Researcher, Economist etc.
- With ample career options available, the average salary for fresher ranges around INR 3,00,000 to INR 8,00,000 per year.
Why study PhD Finance & Accounts?
PhD in Finance & Accounts has gained a lot of popularity in the past years due to the following reasons:-
- The course PhD in Finance & Accounts should be opted by students who are interested to have an in-depth knowledge of finance and accounts industry with analytical and statistical topics.
- Stronghold on aptitude, financial aspects, logical thinking and research-based approach is necessary for a PhD in Finance & Accounts.
- PhD in Finance & Accounts is an extensive course that opens up various opportunities for candidates in various MNCs, banks, and universities.
- Higher annual packages ranging from INR 3,00,000 to INR 8,00,000 makes this course more appealing and popular.
- The course apart from giving opportunities to students for working in Indian industries, it also provides some opportunities for working abroad.
PhD Finance & Accounts: Top Colleges
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering the course in India:
PhD Finance & Accounts: College Comparison
|Parameter||Birla Institute of Technology & Science (BITS)||NMIMS University|
|Overview||BITS Pilani is deemed to be a University established under section 3 of the UGC act 1956. The Department of Management offers MBA and PhD programs to eligible candidates.||School of Business Management (SBM) is a Department for Management studies functioning under NMIMS University, Mumbai|
|Location||Pilani, Rajasthan||Mumbai, Maharashtra|
|Admission Process||Entrance-based||Entrance- based|
|Average Fees||INR 75,400||INR 90,000|
|Average Salary Package||INR 6 lacs – INR 15 lacs||INR 3 lacs|
|Top Recruiters||Idea, JP Morgan Chase, Oracle, Airtel, J & J, Capgemini, Genpact, HSBC, TCS and many more.||Aditya Birla Group, UltraTech India, Swiggy, OYO, Mahindra, L'Oréal, Reliance, Ola, Cognizant, Deloitte, EY, KPMG, PwC, IBM and Microsoft|
PhD Finance & Accounts: Syllabus
PhD in Finance and Accounts is a research-based course; hence the syllabus is divided into units other than the thesis work
|Business Environment||Business Management|
|Financial and Management Accounting||Marketing Management|
|Business Economics||Financial Management|
|Business Statistics and Data Processing||Human Resource Management|
|Banking and Financial Institution||-|
Apart from the regular study, the student needs to do a research project under any mentorship and make a thesis for the same to complete the course.
PhD Finance & Accounts: Recommended Books
The following books can be referred to in this course:
|Name of the book||Author|
|Credit Risk Management for Indian Banks||Vaidya Nathan K.|
|Financial Markets and the Real Economy||John H. Cochrane|
|Research Methods: Accounting & Finance||Robert Macintosh|
|Options, Future & Other Derivatives||John C. Hull|
|Managing Credit||Robert Mckinley|
PhD Finance & Accounts: Course Comparison
PhD in Finance and Accounts and PhD in Finance are two courses with similar curriculum, job prospects and similar approach. However, still, both are different in a certain manner. Here are some basic differences between the two courses.
|Parameter||PhD in Finance and Accounts||PhD in Finance|
|Overview||PhD in Finance & Accounts is a minimum 3-year full-time course which can be extended to 5 years dealing with the basics of finance and accounting.||PhD in Finance is a doctorate level course dealing with various aspects of finance. It does not include any accounting principles in its curriculum.|
|Duration||2 Years to 5 years||2 Years to 5 years|
|Eligibility||Masters in the respective field||Masters in the respective field|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 8,800 to INR 64,292||INR 5,000- INR 5,00,000|
|Average Salary Offered||INR 3,00,000 to INR 8,00,000||INR 5 LPA - INR 14 LPA|
PhD Finance & Accounts: Future Scope
- Graduates of the course can apply for post-doctoral programs in Finance, Economics and other related courses.
- Graduates can also pursue post-doctoral fellowships. Or become a lecturer, economists, etc.
- Graduates have a lot of opportunities at the end of their course. The job opportunities for PhD candidates are vast and increases chances for a good CTC.
PhD Finance & Accounts: Job Profile
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Lecturer/ Teacher||A Lecturer/ Teacher is responsible for teaching and sharing his/ her knowledge to students about Accounts and Financial Management.||INR 3,00,000 to INR 6,00,000|
|Banking Manager||The job of a Banking Manager is to manage all the affairs of a bank i.e. related to sales, promotions etc.||INR 4,00,000 to INR 8,00,000|
|Economist||The role of an Economist is to analyze various issues in order to maximize a company’s profit.||INR 3,00,000 to INR 7,00,000|
The salary after completing the course is around INR 3,00,000 to INR 8,00,000 as per the job and the position. However, there are ample job opportunities after this course.
PhD Finance & Accounts: FAQs
Ques. What can you do with a PhD in Finance and Accounts?
Ques. Is it important to put a research proposal at the time of admission?
Ques. What is the difference between a PhD in Finance and a PhD in Finance and Accounts?
Ques. What are the minimum requirements to apply for a PhD in Finance and Accounts?
Ques. Is a career in Finance and Accounts a good one?
Ques. How much does it take to complete a PhD in Finance and Accounts?
Ques. How many maximum years does it take to complete a PhD in Finance and Accounts?
Ques. What is the basic criterion considered to pass a PhD in Finance and Accounts?
Ques. Is it possible to bag a position of lecturer after a PhD in Finance and Accounts?