Statement of Purpose for Germany: Guidelines, Structure, Tips to Improve
In piles of application documents, an SOP is a written essay which convinces the admission officer of your suitability for the program. An SOP for Germany is commonly referred to as Letter of Motivation (LOM), wherein applicants share their experiences & skills to highlight their motivation to pursue studies in Germany.
SOP for Germany: How is it Different?
- Letter of Motivation for Germany is 500- 1000 words focusing on your inspiration to pursue higher education in Germany.
- The letter of motivation in Germany is mandatory only for students seeking admission in postgraduate degree programs.
- Contrary to SOP for USA and Canada, SOP for Germany is to be submitted via uni-assist instead of individual universities.
- SOP for Germany should emphasize on academic qualifications instead of extracurricular accomplishments.
SOP for Germany: How to Write the Uni-Assist Essay?
A statement of Purpose for German universities is comparatively easier than other countries. Since the universities are looking for potential academic experts, you know what to focus on. Furthermore, there are a few fixed questions that must be answered in your letter of motivation. These include,
- Why do you want to study in Germany instead of India? Here, you can incorporate how education in Germany is comparatively cheaper than in India, how you will gain international exposure at an affordable cost.
- Why are you the right person for this program? Refer to the skills and knowledge you gathered in previous qualifications & how they will be useful. Also, mention relevant work experience you have gained over the years.
- What are your professional goals after completing this program? Due to its affordable education system, German universities receive thousands of applications. Therefore, it is important for them to know how you are going to use your degree in future. Be as honest and specific as you can be.
- How will this program help you contribute to the development of your home country? While answering this, refer to facts, your own experiences, and even the books.
Read a sample Statement of Purpose for Germany, written by a master’s program aspirant.
SOP for Germany: Tips to Improve the Essay
By now, you have an idea of how LOM for German universities is different from others and what all should be included in the essay. To help you further, we have listed down a few points which will help you improve your SOP for Germany:
- Read samples available at DAAD & the official websites of German universities.
- Work on the first draft without any restrictions as it will help you analyze what you really want to incorporate in your essay.
- Remember that an ideal Letter of Motivation for Germany shouldn’t be longer than 1-2 pages; free of any spelling errors.
- It's true that you shouldn’t overwrite or over-explain anything, but it is also significant to ensure that you have provided enough explanation.
- Do not repeat your CV, you will be asked to submit that separately. Focus on experiences that inspired you to study the chosen program in Germany.
Above all, remember that your SOP for Germany or any other country like the USA, Canada, UK, etc. should have a proper structure and be written in a professional manner.