Anglia Ruskin University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Anglia Ruskin University is a public university founded in 1858 as the Cambridge School of Art by William Beaumont and the art critic, and philanthropist John Ruskin. It was renamed Anglia Polytechnic after the merger with the Essex Institute of Higher Education and the Cambridgeshire College of Arts and Technology.
ARU as it is also called is a Teaching Excellence Framework Silver award winner recognized for its excellence in teaching quality. They offer undergraduate, master’s and doctoral level courses in mainly four faculties, namely, Arts, Humanities and Social Science; Business and Law; Health, Education, Medicine and Social care; and Science and Engineering. The campus facilities and financial support offered by the institutes attracts students from all over the globe to study in the UK.
Anglia Ruskin University Rankings
Anglia Ruskin University is ranked:
- 64th in the list of Best Global Universities in the United Kingdom by U.S. News and Report
- 301 – 350th in World University Rankings 2020 by Times Higher Education
- 201+ in European Teaching Ranking 2019 by Times Higher Education
- 451 – 500th in QS World University Ranking by Subject Ranking
- 931st in the list of Best Global Universities by U.S. News and Report
|Type of Institute||Public|
|Programs offered||UG, PG and doctorate degree|
|Mode of application||Online|
|Application fee||20-30 GBP|
|Financial Aid||Scholarships, loans and grants|
Anglia Ruskin University Campus
- Anglia Ruskin University's main campuses are located in the heart of four exciting cities: London, Cambridge, Chelmsford, and Peterborough.
- The Cambridge campus located close to the center of Cambridge has facilities like high-quality learning facilities – lecture theatres, a mock law court, forensic science labs, molecular biology and psychology labs, and a TV studio, five crime scene rooms, a 220-seat SuperLab, the university library, and the Mumford Theatre and Ruskin Gallery
- Cambridge in recent times has become a tech hub, dubbed the Silicon Fen for a large number of start-ups where 18% of the UK’s computer gaming industry and technology companies worth billions of dollars are based
- Chelmsford campus is nestled by the river in one of England's newest cities and houses: the school of medicine, one of the top business schools in the East of England, lecture theatres, mock hospital wards, medical science SuperLabs, cafés, restaurant, and outdoor space
- Peterborough campus which opened its door in 2011 is a dedicated-health, social care, and education campus where courses offered include; midwifery, social work, adult nursing, and primary education studies.
- The London campus based in the heart of London is poised in delivering the highest caliber of undergraduate and postgraduate courses in areas like business, health, and law
- Apart from the main campuses, there is a network of partner colleges in the UK and other locations around the world. They are University Centre Peterborough, University Centre West Anglia, and all other partner colleges
- Students' activities at ARU are also at the peak. Students are usually encouraged to join any of the available 100 clubs and societies on campus and take active parts in students' activities
Anglia Ruskin University Residence
- University accommodation available at all the campuses are mostly for students aged 18 or over. However, students younger than 18 can apply for accommodation in Sedley Court or the YMCA as the university doesn’t offer accommodation to students younger than 18 at the Chelmsford campus
- Students who are planning to resume in September 2020, you can apply for accommodation online from 10th March 2020. Students are advised to apply as early as possible as accommodation allocation is on a first-come, first-served basis
- Annual rent on campus ranges from 4,035 GBP to 8,397 GBP which can be paid in three installments and it includes gas, water, electricity, internet, and possessions insurance.
- Students are required to pay a non-refundable deposit or advanced rent of 300 GBP which will be deducted from the rent.
- Care leaver and students with a medical condition or disability are permitted to live in University accommodation for the full length of their degree course.
- There is no accommodation on campus for students who:
- Chose Anglia Ruskin University as an insurance choice university during the application
- Are planning to study part-time in the university
- Are coming with a family or a pet(s)
- The minimum amenities available in university accommodation include a bed, desk, chair, wardrobe, and shelves. Others include; Mini-fridge, Rubbish bin, Self-service launderette, Common room, Bicycle storage, Individual mailboxes, 24-hour campus security, and external CCTV.
- The University also helps students to find a rented apartment off-campus if they can not get accommodation on campus.
Anglia Ruskin University Programs
- Anglia Ruskin University offers more than 200 courses at the undergraduate level, postgraduate level, research, degree apprenticeships and continuing professional development across all the campuses of the school. Most of these programs can be studied on a part-time basis
- A study abroad or exchange program is available at ARU to allow students to study and experience life as a student in another country while earning credits towards his/her degree at ARU.
- Anglia Ruskin University offers a 5-20 weeks Pre-Sessional English course for students who are not confident in communicating in English to help prepare them for the academic year.
- A two-week program is also available to students who want to improve their academic skills and be more prepared for study.
- Distance learning (otherwise known as online learning) which was introduced in 2003 is available for students at ARU. Students may come to the campus for some practical, residential workshops or study days. Students are also permitted to use the campus facilities.
Anglia Ruskin University Application Process
Application Portal: UCAS for Undergraduate and Online Application Portal for Postgraduate
Application Fee: 20 GBP to 30 GBP for UCAS
- Certificates and transcripts
- A personal statement
- References/recommendation letters
- Curriculum vitae/resume
- Current and previous visa(s) (if applicable)
- Proof of name change (if applicable)
- Portfolio (if applicable)
Minimum Qualification: Applicants interested in a postgraduate taught course must hold 3- or 4-year Bachelors with a minimum of Division 2 (50% - 59%) in relevant subjects while undergraduate applicants must hold one of the following minimum qualifications:
- HSC/Standard 12 with an average of 50% from the West Bengal exam board
- HSC/Standard 12 with an average of 55% from CBSE, Delhi, Mumbai, or Tamil Nadu
- HSC/Standard 12 with an average of 60% from any other exam board
Note: Applicants who do not meet the minimum academic requirements for undergraduate and postgraduate taught can enroll in the foundation and pre-Masters courses which will help them meet the admission requirements.
English language requirements
|English Test||Undergraduate scores||Postgraduate Scores|
|Cambridge Proficiency/Advanced test||169||184|
- Some local English qualifications which are accessed to be equivalent to the minimum IELTS scores may be accepted.
- Please note that some courses may require a higher English language test while some may only accept IELTS and nothing else. Therefore, it is pertinent for an applicant to check the language requirements of the course he/she is interested.
Anglia Ruskin University Cost of Attendance
The estimated cost of attendance for the 2020/2021 academic session is presented on the table below:
|Tuition (Undergraduate and Postgraduates)||13,500 – 16,200|
|Books and Stationery||200|
|Personal (Toiletries, laundry, etc.)||200|
|Total||22,635 - 25,335|
Note: International students are required to pay the non-refundable deposit of 4,000 GBP before being issued with a CAS. The deposit is non-refundable except in the event of exceptional circumstances or visa refusal.
Anglia Ruskin University Financial Aid
- International students applying for full-time admission into undergraduate, postgraduate and research at Anglia Ruskin with exceptional grades stand the chances of being automatically awarded an International Merit Scholarship which is a fee discount. International Merit Scholarship is worth between 1,000 to 2,000 GBP and is automatically awarded to eligible candidates
- Foundation degrees, Degree apprenticeships, distance-learning or work-based degrees, Postgraduate Diplomas, Postgraduate Certificates, and students admitted into a Masters program with credit are excluded from the merit scholarships
- Anglia Ruskin University also offer sports scholarships to international students at the podium and elite level worth 12,500 GBP and 1,000 GBP respectively for competing in performance sports of volleyball and basketball – in exceptional circumstances. This scholarship is available at the undergraduate and postgraduate level and it is open all year-round
- Most scholarships awarded by ARU are automatic. Students do not need to apply for it as their eligibility for these scholarships are cross-checked during the application process
- Other International scholarships awarded by Anglia Ruskin University to international students include:
- International Alumni Scholarship worth 3,000 GBP for international students who completed an undergraduate program at the school and are applying for a postgraduate program. The scholarship is a fee discount and will be deducted from the tuition fees.
- MBA Scholarship worth 2,000 GBP to 4,000 GBP tuition fee reduction automatically awarded to international study undertaking an MBA course.
- International excellence scholarships worth 4,000 GBP for students studying an undergraduate or postgraduate taught program who can demonstrate not just academic exceptionality but also extra-curricular achievement. Applicants are required to complete an application form and submit a 500-word statement of purpose stating his/her suitability for the scholarship.
- GREAT Scholarships Campaign worth 10,000 GBP available to passport holders from Thailand and China who are in the first year of their postgraduate study to support their first-year cost of study. Eligible applicants must have received an offer of admission to pursue a full-time postgraduate taught course starting in September 2020.
- With exception to alumni scholarship, students can combine some of the ARU scholarships with one other scholarships
Anglia Ruskin University Alumni Network
- As an alumni member, one can enjoy several perks such as:
- 20 % discounts on postgraduate study
- Free careers support for the first three years after graduating
- Graduate work opportunities
- Access to libraries
- Opportunities to volunteer, network, and support current students
- Discounted rates at gyms and sports halls.
- 10% discount on office space at innovation center.
- Notable Alumni of the institute are as follows:
- Michael Ashcroft - former deputy chairman of the Briitish Conservative Party
- Junius Ho - former president, Law Society of Hong Kong
- Anders Holch Povlsen - CEO of Bestseller
Anglia Ruskin University Placements
- Through the ARU Employability Scheme, students are given the chance to connect with employers, build personal capabilities, network, and maximize their employment potential.
- ARU also have an employment support team where students can contact for help in getting temporary work in line with the student’s course to gain experience while also being paid.
- The institute also offers one-year placement course where students are given industry exposure.
- The Employability Service offers careers advice and organizes events including CV help and company visits. Also, they have Student Business Start-up Support hub, which offers online support and weekly drop-in sessions for students having start-up ideas.
- According to PayScale, the average salary of Anglia Ruskin University Graduate is 30,000 GBP.