University of Surrey: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Established in 1966, the University of Surrey, UK is a public institution that aims to provide access to higher education to the poorer inhabitants of London. It is a part of the European University Association.
Right from inception, the university has worked to collaborate and establish strong connections with the outside world. Presently it is in partnership with over 2,300 organizations around the world to provide global opportunities to its students.
With more than 35% international students, the University of Surrey has over 17,000 students at Surrey and 735 students at the campus of China.
It offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs through its three faculties in Engineering, Arts & Social Sciences, Physical Science, Health, and Medicine.
|Campus Setting||Sub Urban|
|Programs Offered||Undergraduate and Postgraduate|
|Mode of Programs||Full Time; Online|
|Academic Calendar||Semester based|
|Undergraduate Tuition Fee||16,800 – 21,700 GBP|
|Postgraduate Tuition Fee||15,900 – 21,700 GBP|
|Financial Aid||Scholarships Available|
|Website||University of Surrey|
University of Surrey Rankings
The University of Surrey has been ranked:
- 59th in Impact Rankings 2020 by Times Higher Education
- 43rd in Young University Rankings 2016 by Times Higher Education
- 251 – 300th in World University Rankings 2020 by Times Higher Education
- 267th in Global World Rankings by QS World University Rankings
- 38th in Best Global Universities in the United Kingdom by U.S. News and Report
- 196th in Best Global Universities in Europe by U.S. News and Report
University of Surrey Campus
- The University of Surrey has three campuses with the main campus located in Stag Hill, Guildford in the southeast of England.
- The Manor Park site located close to the main campus is home to some student accommodation facilities, the School of Veterinary Medicine, academic facilities, and the 36 million GBP Surrey Sports Park.
- Students can join any of the 130+ societies and 47 sports clubs available on campus for academic, sport, or skill development.
- Restaurants, cafes, pubs, Bookshop, Laundrette, Post Office, Santander Bank, SimplyFresh (convenience store), and UniTemps are some of the services of the main campus.
University of Surrey Residence
- The University of Surrey has more than 6,000 student bedrooms across three campuses with over 50% having en-suite showers and toilet facilities.
- All first-year students are provided guaranteed on-campus accommodation and those who accept to live on campus are allocated a Student Life Mentor.
- Most of the halls of residence are self-catering with shared kitchen facilities, except for Manor Park’s studio flats.
- Utility bills, Broadband internet service, and personal belongings insurance are included in the rent which ranges from 72 GBP – 358 GBP per week.
- All bedrooms are smoke-free and fully furnished with a desk and chair, a bed, a reading lamp, bookshelf, and storage for clothes.
- All kitchens in the halls are equipped with a cooker, oven, freezer, fridge, microwave, toaster, kettle, iron and ironing board.
University of Surrey Programs
- The University of Surrey has three faculties: Faculty of Engineering, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, and Physical Sciences and Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences offering a range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
- Some courses are included with a foundational year, some with professional training placement, while some come with both.
- There are international pathway programs and Pre-sessional English Language courses for international students with insufficient entry requirements.
- With the Global Graduate Awards, students can learn several free extracurricular courses along with one of the 11 different languages offered by the university.
University of Surrey Application Process
Applicants can apply for the University of Surrey admissions by June 30 for most of the undergraduate programs (Medicine or Dentistry - October 15) and July 20 for most of the postgraduate programs. The deadlines may vary with the programs for PG admissions.
- Application Portal: Undergraduate application is via UCAS, while Postgraduate is via the University Application Portal.
- Application Fees: 25 GBP by UCAS for an undergraduate application while Postgraduate application is free for almost all courses. Some postgraduate courses require an application fee.
- Entry Requirements Undergraduate: Completed the standard XII by the ICSE/CBSE, West Bengal board, or another recognized state exam board, with at least 50% overall or higher depending on the course.
- Entry Requirements Postgraduate:
- For a course that requires a UK 2:1, the applicant must achieve at least 60% or 65%.
- For a course that requires a UK 2:2, the applicant must achieve at least 55% or 60%.
- For a course that requires a UK first-class to be eligible for a scholarship, the applicant must achieve at least 65% or 70%.
- Applicants with insufficient requirements can apply for the foundational program (for undergraduates) and Pre-masters Preparation Program (for Master’s courses). Students can proceed to their chosen course on completion of the program
- Supporting Documents for admissions -
- Original certificates
- Official Transcripts
- Personal Letter
- Program-specific requirements
- English Language Test
- A personal statement (for PG non-research courses)
- A research proposal (for PG research courses only)
- Immigration documents such as passport and Bank statements to study in the UK.
- English Language Requirements:
- The University of Surrey does not require IELTS for Indians as requirements for an undergraduate or postgraduate taught course.
- The school accepts 70% in 12th board exam English from ISC/CBSE boards and 80% in 12th board exam English from the majority of Indian state boards.
- Note: This does not apply for all Indian States and the university reserves the right to demand English test requirements from students. Due to the country-specific requirements, applicants from other countries are advised to check their country English Language requirements.
University of Surrey Cost of Attendance
The Cost of Attendance at the University of Attendance is tabulated below:
|Fees||Undergraduate (GBP)||Postgraduate (GBP)|
|Tuition Fee||16,800 – 21,700||15,900 – 21,700|
|Professional Training Fee||1,850||Nil|
|Cost of Living||6,883.50||9,178|
|Total||25,533.5 – 30,433.5||25,078 – 30,878|
Note: The tuition fee varies with each program.
University of Surrey Financial Aid
- The University of Surrey offers a plethora of funding opportunities to international students. Some of the scholarships available to students include:
- Women in leadership scholarship with varying amounts.
- Surrey MBA Scholarship 2020 covering between 10 – 50% of the total tuition fee.
- Surrey International Masters Scholarship 2020 amounting to a tuition fee discount of 2,500 GBP on the first-year fees.
- External scholarships with varying worth available include:
- Chevening Scholarship
- Aviva Scholarship
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarship
- Fulbright Scholarship
- Saïd Foundation Scholarship Program
- BUDI Scholarship (Indonesia)
University of Surrey Alumni
University of Surrey provides numerous benefits to its alumni include:
- Postgraduate study discount
- Career advice through the Career Center.
- Free access to networking events
- Work experience through volunteering
Some of the Notable Alumni are:
- Chris Benstead - Music Editor
- Mohan Maheswaran – CEO and President of Semtech Corporation
- Alison Palin - General Manager at the Waldorf Hilton
University of Surrey Placement
- About 94% of graduates from the University of Surrey are reported to be in professional employment within six months of graduation by HESA 2018.
- Notable partners of the institution and employers of graduates are IBM, Boeing, Morgan Stanley, Walt Disney, and many more famous groups.
- The annual salary of the University of Surrey graduates as reported by Payscale is 34,000 GBP.