Presidency University is a unique university in India founded in the year 1817 at Kolkata as the first ever in the state for western type higher education in the continent. At that time the name of the college was Hindoo College.
- In the year 1855, the British Government had taken the university under its own administration and named College of Bengal presidency.
- Finally, in the year 1857, Presidency College was merged into the newly found University of Calcutta.
- After that, a long period the college was under the regulations of Calcutta University and the college has been widely known as one of the finest centers for higher education in India.
- In July 2010, Presidency College has come out with the regulations of the Calcutta University and become an autonomous university named Presidency University.
- It was one of the first institutes of Western-type higher education in Asia.
Facts & Figures:
3,73,422 (Total Books)
Girls and Boys
How to Reach
5.2 Km away from Kolkata Railway Station
10 Km away from South City Mall Bus Stand
15.4 Km away from Netaji Subhash Chandra International Airport.
Presidency College Kolkata Courses Offered:
The university offers multiple undergraduate and postgraduate programs in English, Bengali, Sanskrit, History, Geography, Chronology, Astronomy, Mathematics, Chemistry and some other science subjects
Candidates must be completed his/her Bachelor’s Degree with maximum 50% marks (45% marks for reserved category candidates) or equivalent CGPA of any recognized university in India or abroad.
Presidency University Admission:
Admissions to the Presidency University are conducted through common entrance examinations conducted separately for UG and PG courses by WBJEE. For UG courses (B.A. / B.Sc. (Hons.)), the entrance exam conducted is PUBDET whereas, in a case of PG courses (M.A. / M.Sc.), it is PUMDET. Shortlisted candidates are then called for counseling by the university.
Presidency University Fee Structure:
For more information click here: Fee Structure
Presidency University Placement:
The cell continuously coordinates with various industries and organizations for placement of the students. It has already successfully placed a percentage of students in Industry.
For more information click here: Placement Details
Presidency University NotableAlumni:
Presidency alumni groups throughout India and other parts of the world also are invited to join the ‘Presidency University Alumni’. Presidency University Alumni Relations Office will be happy to announce news and events, upload contact details of alumni groups and announce awards and distinctions received by alumni.
- DebaratiBiswas was awarded NirodeBaranBakshi Memorial Prize
- SubhanipBiswas for NirodeBaranBakshi Memorial Prize
- Utso Bhattacharya for Swapan Saha Memorial Prize
- AbhishekSenapati got Sushil Kumar Banerjee Memorial Medal
- Seminar on “Young Investors awareness program” was organized on 29th Nov 2012, afternoon for one day.
- Seminar on “Economic Theory and Policy: Multiple Facets” was organized between 26th and 28th September 2012.
- The library of Presidency University is one of the largest and oldest research and higher education libraries in Kolkata City.
- It has a large and wide hall in the library that contains 3,73,422 books and 1,52,425 periodicals.
- In according to that internet facility is also available in the library.
- Therefore students can get almost all types of books for their study subjects.
- The library has two parts. One is arts library, where all art books are available and the other one is the science library.
- Reading rooms are also there for the students; so that they can read books there and note them down into their important parts.
- Presidency University has two different hostels for boys and girls.
- Boys’ hostel is known as Government Eden Hindu Hostel.
- This is 128 years old. The hostel was found in the year 1886.
- The girls’ hostel is also built at the end of 20th century.
- The hostels provide all types of facilities with good comfort and a perfect environment for studying.
Presidency University Scholarships:
- A limited number of Merit-cum-means scholarships are available for the deserving and meritorious students whose parents or guardian’s monthly income does not exceed Rs.25,000/- per annum.
- A limited number of Sheela Kanoria Foundation Scholarships of Rs.2000/- per month are available for female students. A limited number of Happy Calcuttans Scholarships of the value Rs.800/- are available for the undergraduate students.