Georgetown University is a private university located in Washington D.C., United States. Established in 1789, it is the oldest Catholic and Jesuit institute for higher education in the country. The university is renowned for the political education it offers.
It offers 48 majors in the undergraduate program and as many the masters and doctoral programs under 10 schools and colleges. The most popular majors at the university are -
- Social Sciences
- Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services
- Multi/Interdisciplinary Studies
- Foreign Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Why Choose Georgetown University?
- Georgetown University had an annual endowment of 1.7 billion USD in 2017.
- It has the largest student-run largest business and financial institution and the oldest continuously running student theatre troupe.
- The Core Pathways Initiatives Program to address climate change aspects has been newly introduced by Georgetown for undergraduates.
- It is the largest producer of professionals in finance in investment banking on Wall Street.
- It has a co-ed sailing team that has a world and 13 national championship titles.
- The alumni include Nobel Laureates, Supreme Court Judges, President of the USA, royalties and head of states from more than 10 countries across the world.
Programs and Schools at Georgetown University
Georgetown University offers undergraduate and postgraduate degrees along with certificate courses and continuing study programs under 9 schools and colleges -
- Georgetown College
- McDonough School of Business
- Walsh School of Foreign Service
- Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
- Georgetown Law
- School of Medicine
- School of Continuing Studies
- School of Nursing and Health Studies
- McCourt School of Public Policy
Campus and Residence at Georgetown University
The university has four campuses in Washington D.C. The campuses for undergraduate students, the Medical Center, the Law Center and the School of Continuing Studies are located on one of each campuses.
The main campus has the prominent Healy Hall and the Georgetown University Astronomical Observatory.
Among the four campuses, the university accommodates 76% of the total student population in on-campus residences. The university also helps students seek off-campus housing at subsidized rates.
Georgetown University Admission Process
Pre-Requisites for admission into Georgetown University
- Letter of recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Test Score - SAT/ACT(UG students); 3 SAT Subject Tests(UG students); GRE/GMAT Score(graduate students)
- English language proficiency test score: TOEFL; IELTS
- Resume or CV(Graduate Students)
- Both UG and graduate students must apply on the official website.
- The application fee for UG program is $75.
- The application fee for graduate program varies with each school.
Georgetown University Cost of Attendance
The estimated annual average cost of attendance at Georgetown University is tabulated below -
|Average Tuition Fee||$54,544|
|Housing & Meal||$15,850|
|Books, Travel & Personal Expenses||$3,926|
|Total Estimated Cost of Attendance||$74,320|
Scholarships and Financial Aids offered by Georgetown University
- The university may award between $1000-$60,000 in scholarships to students
- Average need based scholarshio awarded by university is $42,258
- 37% of the students receive some form financial aid from the university
- The university also offers work-study program that allows students to work up to 15 hours a week
- External scholarships and federal grants are also made available to students through the university.
Georgetown University Alumni
Georgetown University has over 173,943 people in its alumni network worldwide. The alumni network of Georgetown University are offered the following benefits –
- Free access to libraries.
- Discounted prices to attend theatre, music or dance performances at the Gaston Hall, S.J Performing Arts Centre, and Royden B Davis.
- Discounts on the memberships to Yates Field House.
- Opportunity to attend various events hosted by the Alumni which include Reunion, Homecoming, lectures and career networking programs.
- Checking accounts and savings accounts through Bank of America.
- Bank of America Credit Cards.
- Insurance benefits through Nationwide Insurance.
List of a few Notable Alumni -
- George W Casey Jr. – 36th Chief of Staff of U.S Army, 2007
- David Addington – Chief of Staff to Former Vice President Dick Cheney
- Bradley Cooper – Actor
- Robert Gates – U.S Defence Secretary
- Bill Clinton – Former President of the United States