Australian Student Visa - Requirements, Cost, Processing Time, Rejection Reasons
An international student must obtain Student Visa Australia to study and work in Australia for a period longer than 6 months. Before applying for the visa, English proficiency test scores, confirmation of enrolment from Australian university and proof of funds must be obtained.
Applications for Australian student visa are submitted online through Immi Account. Visa application is completed against the payment of basic fee of $413. The overall student visa acceptance rate is 90%-95% for all the levels of study.
Australian Student Visa
Australian Student Visa Subclass differ for international students as per the duration of their course. For students studying in Australia for a period of more than 6 months fall in to subclass 500.
Other visa types are:
|Student Visa (subclass 500)||Up to 5 years|
|Visitor Visa (subclass 600, 601, 651)||Maximum 3 months of study|
|Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417 and 462)||For Maximum 4 months of study|
|Student Guardian Visa (subclass 590)||For guardian with international student in Australia and 3 months’ study or ELICOS course for 20 hours per week for duration of visa|
|Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485)||For students completing Australian education to stay and gain work experience for 18 months to 4 years.|
|Training Visa (subclass 407)||For people who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to participate in occupational training or professional development|
Australian Student Visa Requirements- Documents, Checklist
To study in Australia, student must be enrolled at a CRICOS registered Australian University.
Australian Student Visa Documents include:
- Passport/ Birth Certificate
- CoE (Confirmation of Enrolment)/ Offer Letter
- OSHC (Overseas Health Cover)/ Insurance
- Evidence of Financial Capacity for 12 months stay and return airfare (Minimum $20,000 excluding Tuition costs)
- Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) Proof
- English Language Test Scores
|TOEFL (Internet-based test)||46|
English Language Requirement Exemptions
Some exemptions are available for students completing 5 years of study in the following countries:
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Republic of Ireland
Students from New Zealand studying at a university in Australia do not require a student visa. Study cost is equivalent to that of domestic students for New Zealanders.
Foreign students coming from Belgium or Norway are not obliged to buy the Overseas Student Health Cover.
Australian Student Visa Application Form
After obtaining the Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from an Australian University, arrange for finances and other documents. Apply for Australian Student Visa by following the below-given steps:
- Submit documents and pay $413, basic Student Visa Fee
- Create ImmiAccount on homeaffairs.gov.au or download in pdf format for offline application.
- Attach the above-mentioned documents; maximum 60 files/ person of up to 5 MB
- Fill and Submit final application
Australian student visa fee can be paid via:
- MasterCard (including Debit MasterCard)
- VISA (including VISA Debit Card)
- American Express
- Diners Club
- China Union Pay
- Prepaid credit cards
Australian Student Visa Processing Time
Usually the student visa Australia is processed within a month, however, the maximum time it could take is 3 months. However, Simplified Student Visa Framework (SSVF) streamlines the visa processing time. Processing Time for Student Visa is:
|Stream||75% processing||90% processing|
|Foreign Affairs or Defence Sector||20 days||26 days|
|Postgraduate Research Sector||39 days||77 days|
|Independent ELICOS Sector||23 days||38 days|
|Vocational Education and Training Sector||36 days||52 days|
|Higher Education Sector||17 days||32 days|
Australian Student Visa Acceptance Rate
Student Visa Australia Acceptance Rate for various sectors of education in Australia is:
- Higher Education: 23%
- Vocational and Educational Training: 33.9%
- ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students): 48.10%
Duration and Validity of Student Visa
An international student with valid student visa is allowed to enter 90 days prior to the commencement of the course.
The duration of student visa Australia depends on the choice of the program:
- Enrolment to 6-month course validates student visa for 6 months only.
- Visa for a 3-year program is valid for 3 years.
Additional time is offered in the following cases:
- For courses below 10 months of duration: 1 month extra.
- For courses over the 10-month: 2 extra months.
- For courses over 10 months in which the term end date is December: 3 extra months.
Australian Student Visa Refusal
Australia welcomes international students to its universities with open arms, however, there are higher chances of student visa rejections. Some of the reasons for Australian Student Visa Rejection are:
- Incorrect/ Incomplete Documents
- Choosing a course unrelated to previous academic studies
- Inability to support tuition, living and other costs in Australia
- Incompetency in English Language Proficiency
- Health issues
- Inability to explain yourself as GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant)
- Criminal records (if any)
Extending Student Visa Australia
To extend student visa in Australia immediately, students must apply within the same category as applied before. In some cases, students can apply for Bridging Visa (subclass
050-051) to become a lawful entrant into the country.
Visa extension can be done in the following categories:
- Visitor visa (subclass 600): if visiting friends and family after completion of studies
- Student Visa (subclass 500), Student Guardian Visa (subclass 590), Special Category Visa (subclass 444): To study further
To apply for Student Visa Extension in Australia use ImmiAccount and choose visa extension option from any of the available options.