Seneca College (Newnham Campus) 2020-2021 Admissions: Entry Requirements, Deadlines, Application Process
Located in Toronto, Seneca College is a public Canadian institute established in 1967 that offers admission to more than 300 full-and part-time programs at the ranging levels of degrees, diplomas and certificates.
Regarded as one of the finest higher education institutes of Canada, the college offers admissions to its various courses for international applicants of around 150 countries in the seasonal intakes of Fall, Summer and Winter. Renowned for providing some of the brilliant programs in the fields of Accounting, Management, Social Work and Computer Science, the college is one of the highly coveted institutes worldwide.
Following a comprehensive approach towards admission, Seneca College observes an acceptance rate of approximately 85%, making enrollment at the institute highly accessible. The organization considers various parameters while offering admissions inclusive of an individual's GPA and extracurriculars. Hidden factors like availability of seats in a program, completeness of application at the time of receipt and quality of academic history along with English language proficiency play an equally significant role in while offering admissions.
Graduate programs of the college are unparalleled in terms of industry experience and career-focused opportunities they offer which is evident in the institute’s high graduate employment rate of nearly 82%. With an employer satisfaction rate of more than 90%, the institute provides you enough exposure of real-world challenges through its co-op programs and field placements and prepares you well for landing one of the high-paying jobs in Canada
- The Seneca campuses have been temporarily closed due to the global pandemic.
- The admissions are open, with semesters continuing through an online-offline hybrid teaching.
- Enrolled students can apply for the Canadian Emergency Student Benefit
|Application Fee||68 USD for both undergraduate and graduate admissions|
|English language proficiency accepted tests||TOEFL/ IELTS or equivalent|
|TOEFL (iBT) minimum score||80|
|Application Season||Fall, Summer, and Winter|
|Acceptance Rate||Around 85%|
|Financial Aid for International Students||Available as Scholarships, bursaries, and awards|
|Work-study||Available on campus|
|Students’ Helpline||416.491.5050 ext. 22608
For international applicants wanting to study in Canada, admission intakes at the college become available in the three seasonal intakes of September (fall), January (winter), and May (summer). But, not all programs are available in these respective intakes and thus, candidates must ensure a close track of the deadlines.
The popular highly-competitive programs fill very early and are offered on a first-come-first-served basis. Some of the upcoming deadlines for international candidates to be observed at the institute are as mentioned below.
|Type of Deadline||Fall 2020 Semester||Winter 2021 Semester||Summer 2021 Semester|
|Enrolment Begins||August 6, 2020||December 9, 2020||April 14, 2021|
|Classes Begin||September 14, 2020||January 4, 2021||May 3, 2021|
Deadlines for admission in graduate programs during its 3 seasonal intakes varies for different courses. International aspirants must note that the applications for the term of January 2021 will be accepted starting March 2, 2020.
Admission Portal: Apply online at the official website.
Application Fee: 68 USD.
Basic Academic Requirements: Higher Secondary School Certificate.
Additional requirements to be observed before applying are as follows:
- Scanned PDF copies of the photo and signature pages of the passport.
- Original academic record in native language along with their translated.
- Proof of English language proficiency like IELTS, TOEFL or equivalent.
- Some programs may require essays, auditions, interviews, and questionnaires, which must be complied with by the aspirant.
- The admission for competitive programs depends upon the academic ranking of the applicants, which must be noted before the application.
Application process for international aspirants of Seneca College explained in a few easy steps.
- Create an account at the official website or sign in using your Facebook, Google or Twitter account.
- Provide complete personal information as required and choose the program of choice along with the semester and campus you are interested in.
- Provide details regarding your academic history, language proficiency proof and upload the corresponding documents.
- Complete the Information Release form and print your application for personal record.
- Provide any additional nonacademic requirements exclusive to the program of your interest such as questionnaires, essays, portfolios, auditions or testing.
- Submit the completed form with a nonrefundable application fee and wait for an acknowledgement mail.
What to do after you have applied?
- Wait for an acknowledgement email sent within 24 hour of applying that will include your Seneca Student Centre login details to help you access your account for all admission-related updates.
- Follow the instructions step-by-step as mentioned in the mail and activate your account for any further important messages and updates regarding your application status.
- Keep a close track of your application and contact the college directly if no response is received after 4 weeks of waiting.
- If your application is selected, you will receive an offer of place from the organization. Accept the offer letter, deposit the required tuition fee as mentioned and apply for study permit at the earliest.
NOTE: The required documents can be sent to the institution via Email or courier.
- By Email:
- E-mail the application with the subject saying “Scanned Application-Confirmation Number # 55-xxxx-xxxxx” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Attach the scanned signed application along with the remaining academic documents and test proofs in PDF format.
- By mail or courier to International Admission, Seneca College, 1750 Finch Avenue East, Toronto, ON M2J2X5 Canada.
English Proficiency Requirements
The primary medium of instruction at the institute is English and thus, international aspirants of the college require to submit a proof of their proficiency in the language by submitting the acceptable test scores. Some of the tests with their corresponding minimum scores are as tabulated below.
|Name of Test||Certificate programs||Diploma and advanced diploma programs||Degree programs||Graduate certificate programs|
|IELTS Academic||Minimum 6.0 with no skill below 5.5||Minimum 6.0 with no skill below 5.5||Minimum 6.5 with no skill below 6.0||Minimum 6.5 with no skill below 6.0|
|PTE Academic||Minimum score of 58||Minimum score of 58||Minimum score of 60||Minimum score of 60|
|TOEFL iBT||Minimum 80 with no skill below 20||Minimum 80 with no skill below 20||Minimum 84 with no skill below 21||Minimum 88 with no skill below 22|
Visa Application Process
International candidates hoping to enrol in a course of duration longer than 6 months will require a study permit and visa to study in Canada, both of which can be obtained from the help of nearest Canadian Embassy. Students can apply for a study permit online or on paper and should remember to apply them at the earliest as soon as they receive their Letter of Acceptance.
Study permit can be obtained via the regular application process or Student Direct Stream (SDS) which is currently open for the legal residents of countries including China, India, Pakistan, the Philippines and Vietnam on meeting specific requirements.
To apply for the permit, following easy steps need to be observed.
- Create an account at the official IRCC website.
- Answer an online questionnaire and upload the mandatory documents along with the completed form.
- Submit the entry along with a nonrefundable application fee of 113 USD.
Admission Portal: Apply online at the official website.
Application Fee: 68 USD.
Basic Academic Requirement: Bachelor’s degree.
- Submit university and college transcripts for all years of study.
- Bachelor Degree or 3-year diploma course
- Copies of degrees, diplomas or certificates.
- A credential assessment from a recognised agency might be required in some cases which shall be informed accordingly to the students.
- Official English translation of all the academic records that are not originally in English.
Program-wise specifications for graduate-level international admissions are tabulated as follows:
|Requirements||Human Resource Management||Project Management-IT||Public Relations-Corporate Communications||Clinical Research||Visual Effects for Film and Television|
|Duration||8 months||8 months||1 year||1 year||8 months|
|Intake Seasons||Fall, Winter||Fall, Winter||Fall, Winter||Fall||Fall, Winter|
|Work Experience||Not Required||Required||Not Required||Not Required||Not Required|
|SOI/Essays||Not Required||Not Required-||Required||Not Required-||Required|
|Resume/CV||Not Required||Not Required||Required||Required||Not Required|
|Additional Requirements||-||-||Writing Exercise||Reading/ Language Test||Art/ Image Portfolio|
Aspirants must note that though the college observes first-come first-served practice, however, at no times preference to applicants shall be given on this basis while reviewing entries and sending out offer of place.
Respective additional requirements mentioned with various programs play a very significant role and hold a heavy weightage during the time of issuing a letter of acceptance. For some highly-competitive programs, they even determine the ranking of the applicants. Candidates are thus advised to ensure they have completed all such specifications at the earliest opportunity to avoid any complications.