BDS in General Surgery is a 3-5 years undergraduate-level Dentistry course. It is the most popular course after MBBS in the field of medical sciences. B.D.S. in general surgery is the mandatory professional course for the students who want to become dentists at government or private hospitals of India.
BDS in general surgery as the name suggests introduces and educates students about the science of dentistry. To practice the profession after completing the professional course of B.D.S in general surgery it becomes necessary for the students to register in the Dental Council of India.
To take admission in BDS in General Surgery students must fulfil the eligibility criteria. Students applying for this course must have passed 10+2 or an equivalent degree from a recognized board. Subjects taken in 10+2 must be Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
The admission into various dental colleges is based on the marks of the student in NEET which is an All India level examination. Students must clear the cut-off marks in the NEET examination to take admission in the BDS in General Surgery course.
Some of the top colleges offering B.D.S. in general surgery are Government Dental College and Hospital, Mumbai, Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Mangaluru, Maulana Azad Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, Faculty of Dental Sciences King George's Medical University, Lucknow, Gandhi Dental College, Bhubaneshwar, BRS Dental College and General Hospital, Panchkula
The average course fee for a BDS in General Surgery ranges from INR 1,00,000- 6,00,000 per annum. The average initial salary ranges from INR 4, 00,000- 6,00,000 approximately. The average fee for a BDS in general surgery is INR 1,00,000- 6,00,000 per annum.
In this course, students are taught subjects like History of surgery, General principles of surgery, wounds, inflammation, infections, Principles of operative surgery, Tumors, and ulcers, Swellings of the jaws, etc.
After completing the course students have many job options such as Dentist, Dental Research Scientist, Professor/lecturer, Dentist in Indian Railway, etc. After completing the B.D.S. in general surgery students can also opt for higher studies in the field.
The number of dental patients is increasing rapidly in the country and so the demand for dentists is also increasing. Therefore, employment opportunities in the dentistry field are going to rise in the coming years. The average salary offered after completing a B.D.S. in general surgery is INR 4,00,000 to 6,00,000.
BDS General Surgery: Course Highlights
|Duration||5 Years (4 years+1-year of mandatory paid internship)|
|Examination Type||Semester Based Examination|
|Eligibility||10+2 with a minimum of 50% and subjects in 10+2 must be Physics, Chemistry, and Biology|
|Admission Process||National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET-UG) entrance examination|
|Average Course Fee||INR 1,00,000- 6,00, 000 per annum|
|Average Initial Salary||INR 4,00,000-10,00,000 per annum|
|Top Recruiters||Cipla, Lupin, Zyduscadila, Abbott India, Dr. Ressy’s laboratories, Aurobindo etc.|
|Job Positions||Dentists, Dental Surgeons, Professor, consultant, Dental Assistant, Private practitioner, etc.|
BDS General Surgery: Admission 2021
Students who want to know the details of the admission process in B.D.S. in general surgery can check all the details here.
- Admissions in B.D.S. in general surgery usually happens through the All India level examination NEET. National Eligibility cum Entrance Test is the nationally accepted examination for admission in B.D.S. in general surgery. According to the data, there are around 300 dental colleges in India. Both the government and private institutions have 26,000 seats for B.D.S. in general surgery.
- Since 2016, it has been made compulsory for the students to appear in NEET for admission in professional courses like MBBS, B.D.S. in general surgery, etc.
- The minimum eligibility criteria to take admission in this course is a 10+2 or equivalent examination passed from a recognized institute with a minimum of 50 per cent. The subjects in 10+2 must be Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
- Those candidates who fulfil the eligibility criteria and have passed the NEET examination by crossing the minimum cut-off for B.D.S. in general surgery admission will be able to take admission into dental colleges across the country.
- After clearing the cut-off in the NEET examination students will be able to appear for the counselling round.
BDS General Surgery: Eligibility Criteria
For taking admission into a dental college in India the candidate will have to fulfil the minimum eligibility criteria. The eligibility criteria for admission in B.D.S. in general surgery is given below:
- The candidate applying for admission in B.D.S. in general surgery must have qualified 10+2 or an equivalent degree with a minimum of 50% aggregate from a recognized institute.
- The subjects taken by the candidate in class 10+2 must be Physics, Chemistry, and Biology
- To take admission in almost any dental college in the country the candidate must have cleared the cut-off of B.D.S. in general surgery in the NEET examination. The admission is based upon the result of NEET.
- If the candidate has cleared the cut-off in the NEET exam then he/she will have to appear for the counselling round being conducted by the colleges for admission in the course.
- Generally, three rounds of counselling take place in any college.
BDS General Surgery: Entrance Exams
The admission to the BDS in general surgery course is based upon the score of the NEET examination. Candidates must clear the cut-off of BDS in the NEET examination to take admission into the dental colleges of the country. No separate entrance examinations are taken by different universities for giving admission to BDS in general surgery course. The admissions are given on the basis of merit obtained in the NEET examination.
- To take admission in BDS in general surgery in almost all the dental colleges of India students will have to qualify for the all India level examination National Eligibility cum Entrance Test.
- National Eligibility cum Entrance Test is a national level examination that is conducted to give admission to the students into various courses of the medical field such as MBBS, BDS in general surgery, BAMS, etc.
- The National Testing Agency which is popularly known as NTA conducts the NEET-UG examination
- NTA releases the application forms for NEET-UG on its official website.
- The aspiring candidates will then have to fill the application forms and submit the application form fee.
- After sometime admit cards are sent to the students who have filled the NEET-UG application forms through email. The date of the examination, exam timing, and centre everything is mentioned in the admit card.
- Candidates will have to appear for the NEET-UG examination along with their admit cards.
- After the examination, NEET-UG results are announced.
- Candidates will be able to take admission in the BDS in the general surgery course if they clear the cut-off for BDS in general surgery in the NEET-UG examination.
- If the candidate manages to clear the cut-off then he/she will have to appear for the counselling round.
- To take admission in any private or government dental college of India it is necessary for the student to qualify for the NEET exam.
|Examination Name||Registration||Exam Date||Mode|
|NEET||2nd week of March 2021||1st/2nd week of July 2021||Offline|
Note: NEET 2021 examination dates are to be announced soon. NEET-UG 2020 examinations were conducted in between the ongoing health crisis Covid-19 pandemic successfully.
How To Prepare For BDS General Surgery Entrance Exams?
NEET examination is the only accepted examination for taking admission in various courses of the medical field across the country. Therefore, there is tough competition in this examination as a lot of candidates give NEET-UG entrance test. Candidates need to prepare themselves efficiently to qualify for the examination. It has been estimated that every year more than 10 lac students give this examination. The BDS cut-off of NEET 2020 for the general category is 40th percentile while for SC/ST and OB, it is the 30th percentile. Below are some tips are given to prepare well for NEET 2021 examination
- Check the latest examination pattern and syllabus and prepare yourself accordingly. The latest examination pattern and syllabus of NEET-UG can be checked easily on the official website.
- Try to complete the whole syllabus by making a study plan and give equal time to each subject. Make notes of the important topics as well.
- Prepare a timetable and work according to it. This will ensure how much time you have invested in your studies.
- Read NCERT books again and again. Purchase a good study material and work on it.
- To get the examination updates to read the newspaper daily.
- Once you have completed the syllabus, revise it again and again
- Solve as many questions as you can solve in a day and give mock tests. This will increase your speed.
NEET UG is a 3-hour test which is all India Level conducted by National Testing Agency. The subjects asked in the examination are Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (Botany and Zoology). The examination will be 720 marks. 45 questions are asked from Physics, 45 questions are asked from Chemistry and 90 questions are asked from Biology (Botany and Zoology). The total number of questions asked is 180. According to the students who appeared for NEET 2020, the difficulty level of the examination was moderate.
How to Get Admission to a Top BDS General Surgery College?
To get admission to a good college for the BDS in general surgery course one needs to prepare very hard for the entrance examination. There are many good colleges in India offering BDS in general surgery. Below are some guidelines that will help a candidate in getting admission to a good dental college.
- You will have to start preparation for NEET in a planned manner a year before the examination
- It is very necessary for you to clear NEET with good marks to get admission to a top-notch college of B.D.S. in general surgery
- You must have a good academic background at the 10+2 level. This plays a very important role in getting admission to a good college offering B.D.S. in general surgery.
- You must check the list of good colleges offering B.D.S. in general surgery on the internet. You must also look at the curriculum of the course by visiting the official website of the college.
- Check the list of the colleges offering good placement as it is very important at the end of the day when you will finish the course.
- You must check the fee structure of the college offering B.D.S. in general surgery so that it is clear to you which college you can choose according to your requirements.
BDS General Surgery: What is it about?
BDS in general surgery is one of the most popular courses after MBBS in India. Below you can check what the course is about.
- BDS in general surgery is a 5-year undergraduate level dentistry course. It is for the students who want to make their career in the field of dental sciences.
- To work in any government or private hospital as a dentist it is compulsory for the students to have taken the degree of B.D.S. in general surgery from any recognized dental college of India.
- In the 5th and final year of BDS in General Surgery, students have to do an internship which is compulsory. The internship is rotation-based, meaning they will have to take 2-3 rotations in different departments.
- During the internship students also get a stipend of INR 14,000-15,000.
- In this course subjects like General Human Physiology and Biochemistry, Dental Anatomy, Embryology, and Oral Histology, Pre-Clinical Prosthodontics & Crown & Bridge, Oral Pathology and Oral Microbiology, General Surgery are taught.
- Studying these subjects students get the knowledge and skill to become good dentists in various government and private hospitals.
- Students can also opt for higher studies in this field such as M.D.S. in general surgery. By doing this better opportunities will open to them,
- Students get a good job and education opportunities after doing a B.D.S. in general surgery course.
Why Study BDS General Surgery?
As it is written above already, BDS in general surgery is the most popular course after MBBS. There are various reasons why students opt for this course in India. Some of the reasons have been given below
- As the awareness about oral hygiene is increasing in people and so the number of dental patients is also increasing and is going to increase in the coming years. That means the future of this course is bright. To become a dentist one must have a degree of B.D.S. in general surgery.
- As the number of patients is increasing, employment opportunities will also increase for the students. There will be a huge demand for dentists in the future.
- In the last year of the B.D.S. in the general surgery course, students have to do a compulsory paid internship in which they get a stipend of INR 14,000-15000. During this period of one year, the study, learn important skills of the profession and also earn.
- Students can practice dentistry outside the country also where they get better income as compared to India. For this, they have to qualify for exams like NBDE or NDEB.
- B.D.S. in general surgery is the only accepted professional course across the country for those who want to become a dentist in various government and private institutions.
BDS General Surgery: Top Colleges
|Name of the College||Average Course Fees|
|Institute of Medical Science, Varanasi||Below INR 1,00,000|
|Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences, Delhi||INR 1,00,000-1,50,000|
|Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Mangalore||INR 25,00,000-30,00,000|
|Dr D.Y. Patil Vidyapeeth, Pune||INR 25,00,000-30,00,000|
|SRM Dental College, Chennai||INR 30,00,000|
|Government Dental College and Hospital, Mumbai||INR 2-2.5 lacs|
|King George’s Medical University, Lucknow||INR 1,50,000- 2,00,000|
BDS General Surgery: College Comparison
|Comparison Parameters||Faculty of Dental Sciences, IMS BHU||Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences||King George’s Medical University|
|Overview||Faculty of Dental Sciences, IMS BHU was established in 1972, it is one of the reputed government dental colleges in Uttar Pradesh. It is considered to be the best dental college.||Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences is a prime dental college affiliated with the University of Delhi. This college is the very first medical college that has won the FICCI award of excellence.||King George’s Medical University, Lucknow is a reputed college. It is a top-notch Medical University in Northern India. It was established in 1911 and is recognized by UGC and MCI.|
|Average Course Fee||Below INR 1,00,000||INR 1,00,000-1,50,000||INR 1,50,000- 2,00,000|
|Average Initial Salary||INR 4,00,000-6,00,000||INR 6,00,000-7,00,000||INR 8,00,000-9,00-000|
|Top Recruiters||Government Hospital (Internship)||Health care firms, Ottobock, Endolite, etc.||Government Hospital (Internship)|
BDS General Surgery: Distance Education
There is no option for distance learning in the BDS in general surgery course. Since this is a professional course and requires skilled candidates for treating patients, distance education is not available for this course.
BDS General Surgery: Course Syllabus
The syllabus of B.D.S. in general surgery is very vast because it is a 5-year long course. Each year in this course has a different syllabus to make students learn the skills and have the academic knowledge to become an efficient dentist. The syllabus of the B.D.S. in the general surgery course has been given below:
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|History of Surgery||Transmissible Viral Infections|
|General Principles of Surgery||Shock and Hemorrhage|
|Principles of Operative Surgery||Tumours and Ulcers|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Wounds||Dental Anatomy, embryology & Oral History|
|Infections||Diseases of the Oral Cavity|
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Diseases of Lymphatic System||Head Injury Management|
|Neck Swellings||Oral Pathology & Oral Microbiology|
|Nervous System||General Surgery|
|Semester 7||Semester 8|
|Oral Medicine & Radiology||Swellings of the Jaw|
|Pediatric and Preventive Dentistry||The disease of Thyroid and Parathyroid|
|_||Public Health Dentistry|
|Semester 9||Semester 10|
BDS General Surgery: Recommended Books
Some of the best books for BDS in general surgery for the students are given below which will help them to study the syllabus in a better way.
|Name of the Book||Name of the Author|
|Phillips Science of Dental Materials 10th Edition||Kenneth J. Anusavice|
|Essential Pathology for Dental Students||Harsh Mohan|
|Essentials of Medicine for Dental Students||K Anil Tripathi and kamal K. Lalwani|
|Textbook of Human Physiology for Dental students||Indu Khurana|
|Textbook of Endodontics||Amit Garg and Nisha Garg|
BDS General Surgery: Course Comparison
|Overview||BDS in General Surgery||MBBS|
|Duration||4-years + 1-year internship||4.5 years + 1-year internship|
|Focus Area||For students who want to make their careers in dental sciences, BDS in general surgery is the only recognized professional course in India.||MBBS is a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery. This course is for students who want to become doctors in the field of allopathic medicine.|
|Admission Criteria||NEET entrance examination||NEET entrance examination|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 with a minimum of 50% and subjects in 10+2 must be Physics, Chemistry, and Biology||10+2 with a minimum of 50% and subjects in 10+2 must be Physics, Chemistry, and Biology|
|Average Course Fees||INR 1,00,000-6,00,000 per annum||INR 1,00,000-8,00,000 per annum|
|Areas Of Employment||Hospitals, professors, Dental clinics, Private Practitioners, Research scientists, etc.||Hospitals, Private Practitioners, Physicians, surgeons, professors, etc.|
|Average Placement Package||INR 4,00,000-10,00,000 (approx)||INR 4,00,000-10,00,000 (approx)|
BDS General Surgery: Scope
Employment opportunities for students studying B.D.S. in general surgery will increase in the future as people are gaining knowledge about oral hygiene and want to seek advice from professionals for dental care. Therefore patients will increase in the future and so are the employment opportunities.
- It has been noted that the number of dentists in India is more than what is required. This problem can be resolved by an equal distribution of dentists in rural and urban areas.
- Students after completing BDS in general surgery can also try to practice dentistry in any foreign country.
- Gulf countries are giving decent salary packages to those employed as dentists there.
- Students can also opt for higher studies such as Master’s in Dental Master of Dental Surgery (MDS), MBA in Healthcare Management, MBA in Hospitality Management, Master in Health Administration, Master of Public Health (MPH), etc.
BDS General Surgery: Job Profile
Students doing BDS in general surgery have a lot of job opportunities and career options available. The job options available for the students of BDS in general surgery are Dentists, Dental Surgeons, professors, consultants, Dental assistants, Private practitioners,s, etc. Students can choose to be dentists in government hospitals or any private hospital. He/she can also practice dentistry out of India where a higher salary is offered.
Some of the Job Options after completing the BDS in General Surgery course are given below
- Government Sector: Students can choose to work in various government sectors such as Army/Navy/Air Force, Dentist in Indian Railways, Dental surgeons in government hospitals. Vacancy for these jobs release from time to time, students will have to fill the application form, sit in the examination, and will have to qualify for the examination or interview whatever will be taken to get these jobs.
- Private Jobs: Students can become dentists in private hospitals or can choose to do private practice. They can also become professors at any private university.
- Research Scientist: Students can also opt to do higher studies in the field of dental sciences by doing research in the field. This will open better opportunities for them.
- Dentists in Gulf Countries: Students can try to do jobs in Gulf countries where there is a lot of demand for dentists and they are paid decent salaries also.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Dentist||Treat oral and dental diseases, examine patients with dental problems, carrying out surgeries and dental procedures. Prevents dental health problems.||INR 3,50,000-4,50,000|
|Researcher||Work on methods to improve the oral hygiene of people. They also research ways of giving high-quality and safe professional care to the dental problems of the public. The research upon new techniques and methods of treating dental problems and also upon the dental surgeries happening all around the world.||INR 3,00,000|
|Lecturer||Teach dentistry at various government or private dental colleges.||INR 5,00,000|
|Defense Dental Officer||To practice dentistry at defence services students need to register themselves as Dental Practitioner within the country.||INR 9,00,000|
|Indian Railways Dentist||The vacancy for a dentist at Indian Railways is released from time to time. Students can join the job by qualifying for the examination.||INR 7,20,000|
|Territorial Army Officer||This government job can be joined by the students after completing the BDS course||INR 10,00,000|
BDS General Surgery: FAQs
Ques. Is BDS in general surgery easier than MBBS?
Ans. MBBS and BDS in general surgery both courses are equally difficult and equally easy.
Ques. What should I do for passing NEET?
Ans. Points To Remember While Attempting NEET
- Start with the section which you have prepared well and have the command over. The examination will have Physics, Chemistry, and Biology sections.
- Do not waste your time solving difficult questions. Solve the easy and moderate ones first.
- Try to maintain your speed with accuracy
- Do smart work and try to attempt all the questions if the time is left
- Stay calm and confident during the examination
Ques. What can I study after BDS in general surgery?
Ans. After BDS in General Surgery, you can choose to do Master’s in Dental Master (MDS), MBA in Healthcare Management, MBA in Hospitality Management, Master in Health Administration, Master of Public Health (MPH), etc.
Ques. Who earns more BDS in general surgery or BAMS?
Ans. As BDS in general surgery is a more popular course and has a lot of scopes, therefore BDS in general surgery earns more than BAMS.
Ques. Is 400 a good score in NEET?
Ans. Yes, 400 is a good score in the NEET entrance examination.