Diploma in Automobile Engineering is a full-time certificate program of duration 3 years. It is a diploma level Automobile engineering course which is the sub-branch of Mechanical Engineering.
Candidates for the Diploma in Automobile Engineering course must have completed class 10th with a minimum of 60% marks and mathematics and science as key subjects of study from a recognised board.
Admission to the Diploma in Automobile Engineering programme is granted on the basis of merit or an entrance test. The majority of colleges pick students by counselling based on their 10+2 test results. However, some of the reputed colleges conduct entrance exams for the admission process.
The subjects of the course include mechanical engineering, software engineering, safety engineering as applied to the design, electronic engineering, manufacture and operation of automobiles, and their respective subsystems.
The candidates can secure jobs as Automobile Engineer, Product Engineer, Design Engineer and so on.
Diploma in Automobile Engineering: Course Highlights
Highlights for Diploma in Automobile Engineering are given in the table below:
|Eligibility||Class 10th with 60%|
|Admission Process||Merit or Entrance Based|
|Top Recruiting Organizations||TATA Motors, JBM Auto, TVS Motor Company, Vehicle Service chains, Mahindra and Mahindra, Yamaha Motor, Hero Motocorp, Bajaj Auto|
|Average Course Fee||INR 20,000 to 2,00,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2.4 LPA|
|Job Positions||Automobile Engineer, Designer (CAD), Material specialist, Technician, Inspection and Quality Control professional|
Diploma in Automobile Engineering: Admission Process
Aspiring candidates interested in studying Diploma in Automobile Engineering must apply at the respective institute by filling the application form and completing the admission process for admission.
- Admission to the Diploma course in Automobile Engineering is either merit-based or entrance-based.
- Most of the institutes in India accept admission in Diploma in Automobile Engineering on merit basis followed by counselling.
- However, some of the renowned institutes may conduct their own entrance examination for admissions.
- The major entrance exams considered for the admission include JET, GVSAT, GLAET, etc.
- Candidates can apply for this course via the college's official website or receive an application form directly from the college admission office.
Diploma in Automobile Engineering: Eligibility Criteria
The basic eligibility criteria to apply for Diploma in Automobile Engineering is given below:
- Applicants must have passed Class 10th examination from a recognized board.
- Candidates must have studied Science and English in qualifying examination with Mathematics as one of the subjects.
- Minimum percentage required for admission is 60% in Class 10th board.
Diploma in Automobile Engineering: Entrance Exams
Listed below are some of these popular entrance exams through which candidates can get admission in good colleges. The dates of application and examination for the above-mentioned examinations are mentioned in the table below:
|Name of the exam||Application Date||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|Chhattisgarh Pre Polytechnic Test (CG PPT)||May 13, 2021||June 25, 2021||Offline|
|Delhi Common Entrance Test||March 2021||May 2021||Offline|
|Assam Polytechnic Admission Test||May 20-22, 2021||July 18-25, 2021||Online/Offline|
|Andhra Pradesh Polytechnic Common Entrance Test||March 2021||April 2021||Offline|
Diploma in Automobile Engineering: How to Prepare for Entrance Exams?
The suggestions mentioned below must be followed by students preparing for admission through entrance examination:
- It is important to look after your wellbeing. Consume less oily foods and more antioxidant-rich foods. Stay hydrated on a daily basis.
- Make a schedule on how you want to divide your time between school and engineering exams. This will give you a better picture of what to research and when. It's also a good idea to figure out how many hours or days you'll devote to each subject, based on its difficulty level and your own strengths and weaknesses.
- It is recommended that you only read the books that are needed for the entrance exams.
- There are many formulas, equations, and terminologies in physics, chemistry, and mathematics. The easiest way to remember them is to learn them on a regular basis.
- Solve the sample papers provided by your coaching institutes or refer to previous year’s entrance exam question papers.
- Rather than memorising terms, study to understand them. When you understand concepts clearly, you can easily answer any query, and the information stays with you forever.
Diploma in Automobile Engineering: How to Get Admissions in a Good College?
Securing admission in a college is not a tough job but admitting oneself to a top college with multiple entrance tests and selection processes, is really difficult, Here’s a guide to admission in a good college:
- Students must concentrate on high school academics in order to achieve good grades.
- To improve your skills and your chances of getting into a good college, take as many extracurricular subjects as you can.
- Develop your attitude and body language by working on your personality.
- Keep track of all deadlines and dates. Exam submission deadlines, exam times, and other information is updated and published in all major newspapers. It is important to keep track of all such developments.
- Personal interviews will put your talents to the test, regardless of your grades.
Diploma in Automobile Engineering: What is it About?
- Automobile engineering is a branch of engineering that combines elements of mechanical, electrical, electronic, software, and safety engineering in the design, manufacture, and service of automobiles, buses, and trucks, as well as their subsystems.
- The course equips the students for a deeper understanding of the automobiles, designing, manufacturing, customer relationships, market analysis, also taking a comprehensive view of sales and management.
- Diploma in Automobile Engineering involves training in areas such as- automobile design, vehicle engineering, electrical and electronic systems used in vehicles, braking, material science, engines, fuels and lubricants etc.
Why Study Diploma in Automobile Engineering?
- Automobile engineering is an important career path. In every corner of the globe, there are millions of cars on highways, and car engineers are the people responsible for that.
- A career as an automobile engineer is for automobile enthusiasts. They must have a considerable understanding and interest in mechanics, electronics, and mathematics. Automotive engineers must be organized people capable of operating in a methodical manner.
- Automobile engineers receive a large salary as compared to any other type of engineers. When they begin gaining experience, they have a decent amount of job protection.
- The growth in automobile engineering is very strong, and the addition of more features to this area is at its height.
- India is on the brink of expansion in this sector and is considered to be one of the leading manufacturers of two and three wheelers in growth and production.
Diploma in Automobile Engineering: Course Comparison
The course comparison between Diploma in Automobile Engineering and B.Tech Automobile Engineering is as follows:
|Parameters||Diploma in Automobile Engineering||B.Tech Automobile Engineering|
|Duration||3 years||4 years|
|Focus Area||The Diploma course in Automobile engineering is designed to help students learn the basic knowledge and skills needed by an automobile industry professional.||The course provides knowledge and experience in developing innovative ideas and techniques, production methods, and architecture in the field of automobiles in order to create new product models and upgrade existing ones with cutting-edge technology.|
|Admission Criteria||Merit or Entrance Based||Merit or Entrance Based|
|Eligibility Criteria||Class 10th with 60%||10+2 or equivalent in physics chemistry and mathematics with 50-70% qualified CET scores|
|Average Course Fee||INR 20,000 to 2,00,000||INR 2-5 LPA|
|Job Options||Automobile Engineer, Designer (CAD), Material specialist, Technician, Inspection and Quality Control professional||Product Engineers, manufacturing engineer, development engineer, R&D executive, Managers and Deputy officers and directors, automobile dealers|
|Areas of Employment||Maruti Suzuki India Ltd., Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd., Tata Motors Ltd., Hero Moto Corp Ltd., Bajaj Auto Ltd.||Tata Motors, Mahindra & Mahindra, Daimler India Ltd, Honda, and Tata Consultancy Services|
|Average Placement Package||INR 2.4 LPA||INR 2-7 LPA|
Diploma in Automobile Engineering: Top Colleges
Some of the top colleges that offer Diploma in Automobile Engineering are as follows:
|Name of the College||Average Course Fee||Average Salary Offered|
|Dev Bhoomi Group of Institutions (DBGI)||INR 42,500||INR 6-7 LPA|
|Lovely Professional University (LPU)||INR 1,77,000||INR 4-5 LPA|
|Aryabhatta Knowledge University||INR 42,200||INR 6 LPA|
|Integral University||INR 1,35,000||INR 3 LPA|
|Sanskriti University||INR 1,26,000||INR 2-3 LPA|
|PGP Polytechnic College||INR 25,000||INR 2 LPA|
|Shri Ramswaroop Memorial University||INR 1,50,000||INR 15 LPA|
Diploma in Automobile Engineering: College Comparison
The tabulation below depicts the comparison made among the two top colleges:
|Parameters||Dev Bhoomi Group of Institutions (DBGI)||Lovely Professional University (LPU)|
|Overview||Over the course of five years, Dev Bhoomi Group of Institutions has a placement rate of 73 percent. The institute Dehradun offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and diploma courses in Engineering, Science, and Management, among other disciplines.||Lovely Professional University (LPU) is a semi-residential university college in North India. The university offers over 300 courses in a variety of specializations at the diploma, dual degree diploma, postgraduate diploma, undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral levels.|
|Average Fees||INR 42,500||INR 1,77,000|
|Average Package||INR 6-7 LPA||INR 4-5 LPA|
|Top Companies Visited||Capgemini, HCL, Apollo Pharmacy, L&T Infotech, Accenture, Gemini Solutions, Just Dial, OYO||Yahoo, Apple, Microsoft, Google, Cognizant, Accenture, etc|
Diploma in Automobile Engineering: Syllabus
The syllabus for the entire Diploma in Automobile Engineering course is as follows.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Applied Mathematics I||Automobile Mechanics|
|Applied Science Lab||Automobile Workshop Practice|
|Auto Electrical and Electronics||Automobile Workshop Tech|
|Auto Repair and Maintenance||Automotive Engine Auxiliary Systems|
|Automobile Chassis and Transmission||Automotive Engines|
|Automobile Machine Shop||Automotive Estimation and Costing|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Automotive Pollution and Control||Engine and Vehicle Testing Lab|
|Basic Computer Skills lab||English Communication|
|Basic Electrical and Electronics Engineering||Hydraulics, Pneumatics and Power Plant|
|C Programming Lab||ISAP Lab|
|CAD Practice||Machine Design and Theory of M/Cs|
|Computer-Aided Engineering Graphics||Mechanical Testing Lab|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Modern Vehicle Technology||Thermal Engineering I|
|Motor Vehicle Management||Vehicle Maintenance|
|Organizational Management||Vehicle Maintenance Lab|
|Project, Industrial Visit, and Seminar||Foundry, Welding and Sheet Metal Practice|
|Special Vehicle and Equipment||-|
|Strength of Materials||-|
Diploma in Automobile Engineering: Job Profiles
The world without vehicles is impossible and due to growth in the automobile sector, job opportunities are also growing. In terms of manufacturing, service stations, transport firms, security facilities, there are a number of opportunities. Automobile engineers are responsible for designing and manufacturing motorcycles, trucks, etc.
Some of the well-known job profiles available in automobile engineering are mentioned in the table below:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Package|
|Automobile Engineer||The job responsibility is to design, manufacture and operate automobiles. It incorporates elements of mechanical, electrical, software and safety engineering as applied to design and manufacture buses, bikes, trucks, and other vehicles and machines.||INR 6,26,201|
|Design Engineer||Design engineers study, research, and create ideas for new products and systems. To improve productivity or enhance performance, they also change existing products or processes.||INR 3,71,560|
|Production Engineer||Responsible for implementing production processes and procedures, leading efficiency improvements through project-based initiatives, including the introduction of new products and the design of manufacturing cells to minimize waste, increase quality and safety, and reduce operating costs.||INR 2,98,665|
|Material specialist||Material specialists have a responsibility to test and ensure that raw materials have the desired characteristics. In order to track material reactions, the expert also controls the manufacturing process and advises production engineers on quality control.||INR 3,70,500|
|Technician||The repair and preventive maintenance of automotive machinery is the responsibility of an Automotive Technician. Duties include the success of emission tests, vehicle diagnostic testing, and replacement of worn parts.||INR 2,45,496|
|Inspection and Quality Control professional||For almost all manufactured goods, quality management inspectors check quality standards. To do their work, they depend on several instruments. Although others also use hand-held measuring instruments, such as calipers and alignment gauges, etc.||INR 2,59,877|
|Associate Manager||Associate Managers are responsible to ensure that retail stores work well with the store and corporate management. Job duties include maximization of revenue, scheduling of staff, enhancement of customer service, and organization of employees.||INR 5,83,950|
Diploma in Automobile Engineering: Future Scope
One may study for a Bachelor's Degree (B.E./B.Tech.) in Automobile Engineering after completing the Diploma in Automobile engineering. A number of seats are reserved for holders of Diploma certificates in most Degree Engineering colleges.
- Diploma holders with good grades may make use of lateral entry and join B.E./B.Tech. Automobile Engineering program’s 2nd academic year (directly).
- After that, one may either go for an M.E./M.Tech. program or Ph.D. to further enhance their knowledge. Candidates can also opt for lectureship or for the post of professor in engineering colleges/universities. However,
- If you are interested in management programs, you may go for an MBA program!
Diploma in Automobile Engineering: FAQs
Ques. What should I do after completing my diploma in automobile engineering?
Ans. Candidates can go for higher education (B.Tech). B.Tech degree can be obtained with specialization in Automobile Engineering or Automobile design Engineering. Admission to the course can be achieved by lateral entry, saving one year. You may also apply for a Post Graduate Diploma in Automobile Engineering.
Ques. What are the employment opportunities for automobile engineers?
Ans. The employment opportunities available for automobile engineers are:
- Colleges & Universities
- OFOS Services Pvt. Ltd. - Od
- Satish Dhawan Space Centre SHAR - Nellore
- Nexgen Careers - Coimbatore
- Hyundai Groups - Chennai
- Rathinam Techzone - Coimbatore
Ques. What do freshers get in the automobile industry?
Ans. In the case of Government jobs, the salary will be based on a fixed Pay Band. The pay depends on the type of department and task. Freshers should expect a salary of about 15-20K Rupees per month in the case of private companies (average figure).
Ques. What are the locations where a career in the automobile industry is good?
Ans. There is a large demand for automobile engineers in Japan, South Korea, China, and India. More specifically in India, the city of Bangalore is also a good place to be an automobile engineer within India.
In the USA, the Midwest is the best place to be an automobile engineer, because of the concentration of automobile manufacturing companies in the area, the Midwest is the best place to be an automobile engineer. Additionally, Germany is one of the leading manufacturers of automobiles.
Ques. What is the suitability to pursue this diploma course?
Ans. The course is ideal for cultivating an academic and ethical atmosphere in which high-quality training in the automobile industry can provide both skill and spirit.
Ques. Can I start a career in the automobile industry of my own?
Ans. Yes. However, for a few years, it is highly suggested to acquire some real-world experience and then move into business.
Ques. What are the other good institutes for diploma in Automobile Engineering?
- Andhra Polytechnic, Kakinada
- Bharat Shikshan Sanstha’s Pimpri Chinchwad Polytechnic, Pune,
- C.P.C. Polytechnic (Govt), Mysore
- D.A. Govt. Polytechnic, Ongole
- D.E.I Tech. College, Agra
- Erode Institute Of Chemical Technology, Dist. Periyar
Ques. Are there job opportunities in the government sector for automobile engineers?
Ans. Job opportunities are present in the Government sector too. Holders of diploma can give state-wise PSC exams and join the Motor Transportation Boards (State-wise). Assistant Engineer, Assistant Motor Inspector, Technical Assistant, RTO Employee, and Apprentice are some of the well-known work profiles available in the government sector.
Ques. What are the cons of becoming an automobile engineer?
Ans. With respect to deadlines, the work of an automotive engineer can be very stressful and most of them work long hours during the launch of an automobile. In order to build modern vehicles, automotive engineers continuously need to practice on their abilities. Not only does it require technical skills, but in this area, imaginative thinking and skill are equally important. As much of their time is spent in factories, car engineers don't get to work in fancy corporate offices.