Diploma (Civil Engineering) or Diploma in Civil Engineering is a 3-year course. This course is about designing the process, maintenance and construction of roads, dams, bridges, buildings, etc.
Know more: Diploma Engineering Courses
The eligibility criteria for the course diploma in civil engineering is students have to qualify 10th class with a minimum of 50% marks from a recognized institute.
The admission process for the diploma in civil engineering is to clear entrance exams taken by colleges to enrol students. The entrance exams are Delhi CET, AP JEE, Punjab PET, Odisha DET etc.
The average fee for the course diploma in civil engineering is INR 10,000-5,00,000. Fees structures made by colleges and universities on the basis of course offered by them.
The average annual salary for freshers is INR 3-20 LPA. Skills and experience are two important factors for a good salary package.
Diploma in Civil Engineering: Course Highlights
The Course highlight is a key that tells a whole course in a short summarized table. The factors on which the course describes are duration, eligibility, admission process, average fee structure, salary packages, job roles, top recruiting companies, etc.
|Examination Type||Semester wise|
|Eligibility||10th class with minimum 50% marks and 5% moderation for reserved category|
|Admission process||Entrance exam (Delhi CET, AP JEE, Punjab PET, Odisha DET)|
|Course Fee||INR 10,000-5,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3-20 LPA|
|Top Recruiting companies||Unicon Development Construction, Rama Group, Nucleus Premium Properties Private Limited, Emaar Properties, Black cat engineering, White young, Aarohan Classes, Ascent Consulting, Dhitech Consultancy Services, CAS Ventures Private limited, MedGulfPunj Lloyds Limited, PCC, Shapoorji and Pallonji, Specialized contracting, Tata Projects, PCC, etc.|
|Job Position||Civil Engineer, Civil Engineering Drafter, Civil Engineering Technologist, Senior Civil Engineer, Site Engineer, Construction Engineer, Geotechnical Engineer, Structural Engineer, Assistant Engineer, Executive Engineer, Environment Engineer, Urban Planning Engineer, etc.|
Diploma in Civil Engineering: Admission Process
Admission through merit-based selection and through the entrance exams are the two options by which you can enrol yourself in a college and university to study this course.
Merit Based Admission
- Merit list released on the basis of percentage. Information related to the merit list is updated on the University web site and in newspapers.
- Check your percentage and go to the college for the admission process.
- The admission date is released by college and universities.
Entrance Exam Based Admission
- Proper registration forms released by colleges and universities on their online portal with registration fees.
- Submit your fees and fill the form before the last moment.
- The admit card is released by them before 72 hours of the exam.
- The date of the exam is released by them with the proper information of venue, time.
- A result declaration date release with the cut off list and document checking date will be out by them.
|CIVIL ENGINEERING COLLEGES IN Tamil Nadu||CIVIL ENGINEERING COLLEGES IN Uttar Pradesh||CIVIL ENGINEERING COLLEGES IN Maharashtra||CIVIL ENGINEERING COLLEGES IN Andhra Pradesh|
Diploma in Civil Engineering: Eligibility Criteria
- The eligibility criterion for the course is students have to clear 10th class or equivalent with a minimum of 50% marks from a recognized college or institute.
- 5% moderation for the reserved category students.
- PCM stream should be the compulsory stream.
- No receptacle will be accepted. Students must have to clear the 10th standard.
- Colleges and universities follow different criteria for every course they offered.
Diploma in Civil Engineering: Entrance Exams
Some colleges and universities take the entrance exam for a diploma in civil engineering. The entrance exams are Delhi CET, AP JEE, Punjab PET, Odisha DET etc.
|Entrance exam||Conducted by||Exam date||Exam mode|
|Delhi CET||Department of Training and technical education Delhi||May 2021||Offline|
|AP JEE||The Arunachal Pradesh State Council for Technical Education||May 2021||Offline|
|MP PPT||MP Vyapam or Madhya Pradesh Professional Examination Board||May 2021||Online|
Diploma in Civil Engineering: How to Prepare for Entrance Exams?
Here are some tips for getting cleared your entrance exam for a good college or university
- You should read the newspapers daily. You can refer to The Hindu, The Times Of India, Economic Times, etc.
- Students should identify their interested area subjects at the earliest time.
- Learn time management as you have to manage your classes with self-study.
- You should practice questions as much as you can. Practice helps you to identify the time taken by each question.
- You should have trained your mind for the covering of the syllabus.
- Prepare strategies for learning and understanding the concepts.
- Use fewer books for theory and more books for practice questions.
- A most important tip is to practice previous question papers.
- You should find the best institute for the preparation for the exam.
Diploma in Civil Engineering: How to Get Admission in a Good College?
Here are some tips for getting admission to a good college or university.
- Students must focus on high school academics to school good marks.
- Choose many extra curriculum subjects that you can handle to boost your skills and chances to get into a good college.
- Work on your personality to improve your attitude and body language.
- You should prepare for various entrance exams and fill the online forums on time.
- You can hire a tutor for practising and preparing for the exam.
- Apply early as possible to avoid the reduction of options.
- Integrate your interest and find the best out of it to pursue your future.
- You can get admission by sports quotas and ECA.
- Prepare for personal interviews and college essays as they test your skills out of your grades.
- Students should hire a counsellor for clearing their doubts.
- You should boost your skills and experiences.
Diploma in Civil Engineering: What is it About?
A diploma (civil engineering) or diploma in civil engineering is a 3-year course as a diploma type.
- This course is about designing the process, maintenance and construction of roads, dams, bridges, buildings, etc.
- Students will learn about construction management with theory and practical knowledge.
- The common specialization includes structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, transportation engineering, environmental engineering, etc.
- This field is one of the oldest branches of engineering. It is responsible for construction, design.
- The design and construction of a naturally built environment include waterworks, river navigation, traffic control, transmission lines, power plants, canals, bridges, railroads, etc.
- They will learn team spirit and work with the group to achieve a common objective.
Why Study Diploma in Civil Engineering?
Every course has benefits and skills, students must be aware of them while choosing them.
- Benefits of the course: The benefits of the course diploma in civil engineering are:
- You will have a good annual salary package.
- You can apply for government jobs in companies like DRDO, ONGC, Indian Railways, Water Boards, etc.
- Candidates will get other benefits like PF, insurance, tours, etc.
- Skills required to be a part of the course: The skills which are required to be a part of the course diploma in civil engineering:
- Leadership skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Project management:
- Organizational skills
- Technical skills
- Creativity skills
Diploma in Civil Engineering: Course Comparison
Course comparison is important on some basis as about course, duration, eligibility, admission process, average fee, colleges, average salary, recruiting companies, and job profiles.
Here is the comparison between a Diploma in civil engineering and a Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
|Parameters||Diploma in civil engineering||Diploma in Mechanical Engineering|
|Brief explanation||This course is about designing the process, maintenance and construction of roads, dams, bridges, buildings, etc.||This course deals with the application of mechanical systems. They mainly focus on designing. Apart from the mechanism, it covers fluid mechanics, energy, kinetics, etc.|
|Duration||3 years||4 years|
|Eligibility||10th class with minimum 50% marks from a recognized institute||10th class with minimum 50% marks from a recognized institute with PCM stream.|
|Admission process||Entrance exam||Entrance exam with an interview|
|Top colleges||Jamia Millia Islamia University, Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology, Lovely Professional University, Galgotias University, etc.||Chandigarh University, Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering and Technology, North Eastern Regional Institute of Science and Technology, etc.|
|Job roles||Civil Engineer, Civil Engineering Drafter, Civil Engineering Technologist, Senior Civil Engineer, Site Engineer, Construction Engineer, Geotechnical Engineer, Structural Engineer, Assistant Engineer, Executive Engineer, Environment Engineer, Urban Planning Engineer, etc.||Security Staff Lab Assistant, Project Managers, Mechanical Engineer, Piping Designers, Electrical Design Engineer, Assistant Engineer, Mechanical Design Engineer, etc.|
|Average fees||INR 10,000-5,00,000||INR 3-10 LPA|
|Average salary||INR 3-20 LPA||INR 2.5-20 LPA|
|Top recruiting organization||Unicon Development Construction, Rama Group, Nucleus Premium Properties Private Limited, Emaar Properties, Black cat engineering, White young, Aarohan Classes, Ascent Consulting, Dhitech Consultancy Services, CAS Ventures Private limited, MedGulfPunj Lloyds Limited, PCC, Shapoorji and Pallonji, Specialized contracting, Tata Projects, PCC etc.||Tata Power, Amazon, Flipkart, BHEL, Honda, BARC, ISRO, NTPC, Leyland, Aban Group, Nura Engineering Pvt., Just Dial, TCS, Samsung, Mahindra and Mahindra, Oracle, Google, Vivo, Mobile, ISRO, NTPC, etc.|
Diploma in Civil Engineering: Top Colleges
The top 10 colleges of diploma in civil engineering:
|College||City||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|Jamia Millia Islamia University||New Delhi||INR 8,970||INR 5 LPA|
|Galgotias University||Greater Noida||INR 45,000||INR 8.75 LPA|
|Chandigarh University||Chandigarh||INR 19,400||INR 7.1 LPA|
|Veermata Jijabai Technology Institute||Mumbai||INR 12,679||INR 6.80 LPA|
|Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||INR 53,200||INR 7 LPA|
|Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology||Sangrur||INR 28,400||INR 4.2 LPA|
|North Eastern Regional Institute of Science and Technology||Itanagar||INR 11,320||INR 3.5 LPA|
|Walchand College of Engineering||Sangli||INR 8,815||INR 5.07 LPA|
|Narula Institute of Technology||Kolkata||INR 99,000||INR 3.29 LPA|
|Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering and Technology||Chittoor||INR 28,000||INR 1.8 LPA|
Diploma in Civil Engineering: College Comparison
College comparison is important on some basis as about college, eligibility, admission process, average fee, courses, average salary, recruiting companies, and job profiles.
Here is the comparison between Galgotias University and Veermata Jijabai Technology Institute.
|Parameters||Galgotias University||Veermata Jijabai Technology Institute|
|About college||Galgotias University is situated in Greater Noida. It is a Private University. It was established in 2011. The governing body is Smt. Shakuntala Educational and Welfare Society. It is approved by UGC, AICTE, NCTE, INC, COA. It offers Diploma, UG courses, PG courses, PhD courses. The hostel has 2900 rooms. It provides 800+ faculties.||Veermata Jijabai Technology Institute is one of the oldest engineering colleges. It is a private institute. It was established in 1887. It is affiliated with the University of Mumbai. This institute is approved by AICTE. It offers Diploma, UG courses, PG Courses, and PhD courses. Admission to these courses by entrance exams. It was ranked 4 by INDIA TODAY and 84 by MHRD.|
|Eligibility||10th class with minimum 50% marks||10th standard with a minimum of 50% marks|
|Admission process||Entrance exam||Entrance exam|
|Average fees||INR 45,000||INR 12,679|
|Top recruiting organizations||HDFC Bank, Directi, Evalueserve, Cognizant, Aditya birls, Genpact, Kony, TCS, Fiserv, Mphasis, Iris India, Amazon, Wipro, Vodafone, Bosch Ltd., Cvent India, Syntel, Lanco, Birlasoft, Zycus, SBI Life Insurance, Citi Bank, Sapient, Ashok Leyland, JK Tyre, Huawei, Minda, Global Logic, Jaro Education, Infosys, Torrent, Lupin, DLF, Titan, CSC, HSBC, BMWIL, etc.||Myntra, Samsung, Siemens, ZS Associates, Rakuten INC, MAQ Software, Lodha Group, Aakash Educational, Vedanta, Gammon India, UBS, Deutsche Bank, Pricewater, Reliance industries, Khosla Profil, Sapient, TVS Motors, Tata Power, Welspun, Wipro, Yodlee, Infosys, Pinclick, Mirraw, Udaan, Thomas Cook, Raymond, etc.|
|Average salary||INR 8.75 LPA||INR 6.80 LPA|
Diploma in Civil Engineering: Syllabus
The syllabus consists of 6 semesters. Each year consists of 2 semesters. The given syllabus is year wise.
|Year I||Year II||Year III|
|Applied mathematics I||Hydraulics||Design of steel & Masonry Structure|
|Applied mechanics||Thermal engineering||Transpiration engineering|
|Applied chemistry||Concrete technology||Irrigation engineering|
|Professional communication||Electrical & mechanical engineering||Design of reinforced concrete structure|
|Applied physics||Strength of material||Estimating, Costing & Valuation|
|Computer application for engineering||Building construction & Maintenance engineering||Construction management, accounts & entrepreneurship development|
|Engineering drawing||Civil engineering drawing||Civil engineering drawing II|
|Workshop practice||Public health engineering||Earthquake engineering|
|Building material||Surveying||Surveying II|
|-||-||Environment pollution & control|
|-||-||Civil Lab – III (RCC & Highway)|
Diploma in Civil Engineering: Important Books
Here are the top 10 books of diploma in civil engineering course. These books are with the best authors. Read the books given below.
|Concrete Technology||M.S. Shetty|
|Fluid mechanics||R.K. Bansal|
|Basic civil engineering||SS Bhavikatti|
|Structural analysis||CS Reddy|
|Building Construction Illustrated||Francis D.K. Ching|
|Construction project scheduling and Control||Saleh A. Mubarak|
|Rock slope engineering||Duncan C. Willie|
|Fundamentals of sustainability in civil engineering||Andrew Braham|
|Principles of Geotechnical engineering||Braja M. Das|
|Civil engineering materials||Peter A. Claisse|
Diploma in Civil Engineering: Job Profiles
They can work as a civil engineer, civil engineering drafter, civil engineering technologist, senior civil engineer, site engineer, construction engineer, geotechnical engineer, structural engineer, assistant engineer, executive engineer, environment engineer, urban planning engineer, etc.
|Job Profiles||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Senior Civil Engineer||The role of a senior civil engineer is to prepare a project, analyse, design, and manage budgets & resources, then implement. They oversee the designs of construction projects like roads, dams, buildings, etc.||INR 7.30 LPA|
|Construction Engineer||The role of a construction engineer is to investigate and analyse the data. They manage, design, develop, create and manage construction projects.||INR 8.20 LPA|
|Environmental Engineer||The role of an environmental engineer is to overlook waste management and control pollution issues. They develop and implement the programs by providing technical support.||INR 6.59 LPA|
|Structural Engineer||The role of a structural engineer is to improve the existing interior of the building. The first concern with the design, managing, and constructing a building, roads, etc.||INR 6.75 LPA|
|Geotechnical Engineer||The role of a geotechnical engineer is to analyse the data related to soil, rocks, which can affect the underground and above structures. They deal with all types of transportation facilities.||INR 19.8 LPA|
Diploma in Civil Engineering: Future Scope
- Students can pursue higher studies after a diploma in civil engineering is an Advance diploma in civil engineering, an advance diploma in surveying, an advance diploma in structural design, an advance diploma in constructing management, a certificate course in building design, a certificate course in construction management, etc.
- They have employment sectors like IT or software companies, schools, universities, government firms, content development, engineering firms, etc.
Diploma in Civil Engineering: FAQs
Ques. What is the difference between a diploma in civil engineering & a Diploma in Mechanical Engineering?
Ans. The difference between a diploma in civil engineering & a diploma in mechanical engineering is that a diploma in a civil engineering course is about designing process, maintenance and construction of roads, dams, bridges, buildings, etc. Whereas a diploma in mechanical engineering course deals with the application of mechanical systems.
Ques. Is the engineering project manager a good major?
Ans. Yes, the engineering project manager is a good major because the money in this profession is good. Foreign salary packages are higher than the national salary package.
Ques. What will be the salary after the engineering project manager?
Ans. The salary after engineering project manager will be INR 12.28 lakhs per annum.
Ques. Which is a better diploma in civil engineering or a diploma in electrical engineering?
Ans. Both degrees are better as a diploma in a civil engineering course is about designing process, maintenance and construction of roads, dams, bridges, buildings, etc. and a diploma in electrical engineering aims to make students familiar with applications of electronics, electricity, electromagnetism, etc.
Ques. What will be the recruiting areas for a diploma in civil engineering?
Ans. The recruiting areas in diploma in civil engineering are colleges & Universities, public infrastructure, Engineering Transportation, Land development, construction companies, civil and interior, state firms, private companies, tunnel engineering, etc.
Ques. How to apply for admission to a diploma in civil engineering?
Ans. The one who has completed the 10th class with the science stream can apply after the application form releases through online mode.
Ques. What are the minimum and maximum fees in public colleges of diploma in civil engineering in India?
Ans. The minimum and maximum fee in public colleges are INR 18,000 and INR 3.40 lakhs respectively.
Ques. What are the minimum and maximum fees in private colleges of diploma in civil engineering in India?
Ans. The minimum and maximum fee in private colleges are INR 15,000 and INR 4.70 lakhs respectively.