Diploma in Clinical Pathology is a two-year diploma course that deals with theoretical and practical phases of clinical pathology techniques. The course assists to train physicians and pharmacists in medical biology.
The minimum eligibility for Diploma in Clinical Pathology is a bachelor's degree from recognized colleges or its equivalent exam.
Admission to Diploma in Clinical Pathology program is done on the basis of the candidate's performance in entrance exams.
The average Diploma in Clinical Pathology fees in Indian Colleges/ Universities usually ranges between INR 10,000 and 8,00,000.
See more: DCP Colleges in India
Diploma holders of this program will help medical professionals in an extensive range of healthcare centers and organizations where clinical pathology is implemented as the main task.
Diploma in Clinical Pathology holders are employed as Clinical Pathologist, Lab Executive, Clinical Manager, Pathologist, Medical Transcriptionist, Teacher, Consultants, Medical Examiner, Professors, Cytotechnologist, Mortuary Assistant, Dermatopathologist, Health Care Workers, Forensic Technician, and Medical Lab Technician. Initial salary can be anywhere between INR 2,00,000 and 8,00,000 per annum.
Diploma in Clinical Pathology: Course Highlights
|Course Name||Diploma in Clinical Pathology|
|Eligibility Criteria||Graduation (MBBS/B.Sc. Biology)|
|Selection Process||Merit/ Entrance-Based|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 10,000 to 3,50,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2,00,000 to 8,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Apollo Hospitals, National Institute of Health, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Food and Drug Administration etc.|
|Top Job Areas||Government or Private Hospital, Medical Colleges & Universities, Private Clinics, Medical Laboratories, Content Writing etc.|
|Top Job Positions||Clinical Pathologist, Clinical Manager, Cytotechnologist, Consultants, Dermatopathologist, Forensic Technician, Health Care Workers, Lab Executive, Medical Transcriptionist, Medical Examiner, Mortuary Assistant, Medical Lab Technician, Pathologist, Professors, Teacher/Lecturer.|
Diploma in Clinical Pathology: Admission Process
Admission to Diploma in Clinical Pathology course is usually done on the basis of the candidate's performance in the qualifying examination i.e. based on merit. The detailed admission process is given below.
- Registration: Candidates have to register themselves by visiting the official websites before applying to this course.
- Filling up of application form: After registering on the official website, fill the application form with past educational achievements, job experience, internships etc.
- Scan and upload documents: in this step, students need to upload the requisite documents like mark sheets, photograph, signature and transfer certificates.
- Application fee: Pay the requisite amount of application fee either online or offline.
- Admission: If a candidate clears the cut off marks released by the respective college/ university and all other criteria then an offer letter for admission is released.
Diploma in Clinical Pathology: Eligibility Criteria
Students who wish to pursue a Diploma in Clinical Pathology course must fulfil the following eligibility criteria.
- Candidates must have passed 10+2 or equivalent in science stream with physics, chemistry, and biology as compulsory subjects.
- The minimum percentage for the course is 50% but it may vary from college to college.
- Candidates must have a Graduation degree in any related field together with B.Sc. in Biology, MBBS, Microbiology, or Biotechnology.
Diploma in Clinical Pathology: Entrance Exams
In some of the colleges, the Diploma in Clinical Pathology admissions are done on the basis of the results in the entrance tests.
Some of the popular DCP entrance exams are provided below:
- CMC Entrance Exam- The Christian Medical College conducts entrance exams for admission to Diploma courses. Students who crack this entrance exam will be called for counseling and furthermore seats will then be allocated on the basis of their performance in the entrance exam.
Also check CMC Vellore Admissions 2021 here.
- Armed Forces Medical College Entrance Exam - AFMC Entrance Test is conducted to offer admission to aspirants in various Diploma, UG, PG, MPhil and PhD programs.
|Exam Name||Application Period||Exam Date||Mode of Exam|
|CMC Vellore 2021||February - April, 2021||May 2021 (Tentative)||Offline|
|AFMC Entrance Exam 2021||April 16 - May 15, 2021||May 16, 2021||Online/ Offline|
How to Prepare for a Diploma in Clinical Pathology Entrance Exams?
Some of the important points that candidates can keep in mind while preparing for Diploma in Pathology entrance exams are given below:
- Syllabus: Students are advised to go through the syllabus of this course and make a note of all the important topics from the DCP syllabus
- Revise important topics: Revision is the most important aspect. Candidates are advised to revise all the important topics from the syllabus.
- Practice Previous Year’s Question Papers: Solve past year papers so that you can get a better idea of the questions to be asked in the question paper.
- Mock Test: Appear for as many mock tests as you can. This will increase student’s efficiency and speed and will in turn boost up your confidence.
How to get admission in a good Diploma in Clinical Pathology College?
To secure admission into a top-ranked Diploma in Clinical Pathology college, a number of factors come into play. Some of the steps related to the DCP admission process are given below:
- Students must be familiar with the type of questions asked and their difficulty level in various entrance exams.
- Since questions are asked from syllabus covered at the 10+2 level of schooling so going over the material and notes would be sufficient. Basic concept revision should be done.
- Be aware of all the dates and deadlines related to the exam. It is very important to track any news regarding last minute examination date changes.
Diploma in Clinical Pathology Course: Syllabus
Diploma in Clinical Pathology is a one year diploma program. The Detailed semester wise syllabus is given below:
|1.||Clinical research Guidelines and Regulations|
|2.||Clinical Trial Planning and design|
|3.||Clinical Trial Conduct, Compliance and Quality Assurance|
|5.||Data Analysis and Management in Clinical Research|
|6.||Clinical Research Management|
Diploma in Clinical Pathology: Top Colleges
Diploma in Clinical Pathology courses are offered by many top colleges and universities across the country. Some of the top colleges in India who are offering this course are mentioned below:
|Name of Institute||Average Annual Fees|
|Armed Forces Medical College, Maharashtra||INR 56,500|
|Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad||INR 1,20,000|
|Datta Meghe Institute of Medical Sciences, Maharashtra||INR 4,38,000|
|Gajra Raja Medical College, Gwalior||INR 35,000|
|Christian Medical College, Vellore||INR 85,500|
|Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore||INR 7,65,000|
|Madras Medical College, Chennai||INR 16,200|
|King George’s Medical College, Lucknow||INR 58,400|
Diploma in Clinical Pathology College Comparison
The tabulation below depicts the comparison made among the top colleges in India.
|Basis||Osmania Medical College||Armed Forces Medical College|
|Entrance Test||NEET/ NEET PG||AFMC Nursing, NEET|
|Courses Offered||MBBS, MD/ MS, M.Ch., DM, Diploma||MBBS, BSc Nursing, Diploma, MSc Anatomy, MD General Medicine, MS Orthopedics, DM Cardiology, M. Ch. Neuro Surgery, Ph.D. Pathology|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 26,600||INR 34,000|
Diploma in Clinical Pathology vs BSc Pathology
Diploma in Clinical Pathology and BSc Pathology are two different courses offered in the subject of Pathology. Some of the similarities and key differences between these two courses are mentioned below.
|Basis||Diploma in Clinical Pathology||Bachelor of Science in Pathology|
|Duration||2 years||3 years|
|Eligibility||Graduation (MBBS/BSc Biology)||10+2 in Physics, Chemistry, Biology|
|Average Course Fees||INR 10,000 to 8,00,000||INR 14,000 to 1,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Organizations||Apollo Hospitals, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Dr. Lal Path Labs, National Institute of Health, Food and Drug Administration, Intelligence Bureau||College and Universities, Hospitals, Pharmaceutical Companies, Drug Manufacturing Agencies, and Science Research Labs|
Diploma in Clinical Pathology: Career Prospects
The most popular choices of education on completion of Diploma in Clinical Pathology as follows.
- BSc: If one wishes to continue in the same field of education the first program of choice is a BSc Pathology. It is a 3-year program and the basic eligibility includes passing class 12 in relevant streams.
- PGD: A large number of Diploma holders choose to go for the PGDM course. Admissions are offered through the national level entrance test.
- Competitive Examinations: Another route the Diploma holders can go for is to prepare for competitive examinations. Examinations that are meant for job opportunities in Government sector organizations are most popular. Jobs in this sector are secure with assured high package and regular increments.
Diploma in Clinical Pathology: Job Prospects
- Clinical Pathology is one of the encouraging and rewarding career choices in India. Pathology professionals in this field are increasing every day that has led to a handful of career opportunities for talented pathologists.
- Former students after finishing off their program can work as an expert in any segment under pathologies like clinical pathology, surgical pathology, anatomical pathology, molecular pathology, veterinary pathology, plant pathology, and forensic pathology.
- There are enormous job openings after the successful completion of this program, candidates may work as medical examiners and consultants. Applicants can also open their private clinics for this service.
- Pathologists can also set up their career in the research and teaching field after finishing post-graduation and then a Ph.D. degree in clinical pathology. There are several job offers existing in India and foreign countries for pathologists.
Some of the most common job profiles that a Diploma in Clinical Pathology holders can opt are mentioned below with job description and salary expected.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Clinical Pathologist||A Clinical Pathologist is in charge to inspect body liquid, blood, bone marrow, and urine.||INR 9,00,000 to 10,00,000|
|Lab Executive||Lab Executive is accountable to maintain medical laboratory equipment and tools, presentation through establishing a quality standard; troubleshooting procedures, quality, emerging an operation, certifying instrument performance, guaranteeing staff compliance arranging equipment and tools replacements, repair, and service.||INR 4,00,000 to 5,00,000|
|Medical Transcriptionist||Medical Transcriptionist is answerable for listening to the recorded materials of a physician or any other healthcare expert. Understand and transcribe the oral work into diagnostic test results, referral letters, operative reports, and other documents.||INR 3,35,000|
|Medical Examiner||The Medical Examiner is responsible for dedicated training in forensic pathology. They also accomplish, inspect organs and autopsy organs, tissue, and bodily liquids to inspect the reason for death.||INR 4,00,000|
|Clinical Manager||Clinical Manager is in charge of managing clinical, administrative, professional, and clerical staff; overseeing the recruitment, improvement, managing daily management; and appraisal of staff; developing and implementing rules and regulations and directives; appearing in meetings, setting and monitoring budgets.||INR 5,78,000|
Diploma in Clinical Pathology: FAQs
Ques. What is the role of a Medical Transcriptionist?
Ans. Medical Transcriptionist is answerable for listening to the recorded materials of a physician or any other healthcare expert. Understand and transcribe the oral work into diagnostic test results, referral letters, operative reports, and other documents.
Ques. Which are the top recruiting companies?
Ans. Top recruiting companies are:
- Apollo Hospitals
- National Institute of Health
- Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
- Food and Drug Administration
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences
- Dr. Lal Path Labs
- Intelligence Bureau
- Central Bureau of Investigation
- Asian Institute of Medical Sciences
Ques. What kind of jobs will be offered to a person who has completed the DCP course?
Ans. The kind of job offered is Clinical Pathologist, Lab Executor, Clinical Managers, Pathologist, Medical Transcriptionist, Lecturers, Consultants, Medical Examiner, Professors, Cytotechnologist, Mortuary Assistants, Dermatopathologist, Health Care Employees, Forensic Technician, and Medical Labs Technician.
Ques. How many years does an interested candidate need to pursue a DCP course?
Ans. The candidate needs at least 2 years as the Diploma in Clinical Pathology is a 2-year course.
Ques. Can a candidate pursue a Diploma in Clinical Pathology on completion of Class 12 with Commerce stream?
Ans. No, an interested candidate can absolutely not pursue a Diploma in Clinical Pathology with a commerce stream. To pursue a Diploma in Clinical Pathology, the candidate needs to pass Class 12th with PCB as the main subject.
Ques. What is the eligibility criteria to apply to the DCP course?
Ans. The eligibility criteria for Diploma in Clinical Pathology applicant should have a Graduation degree in any interrelated field including B.Sc. in Biology, MBBS, Microbiology, Biotechnology, etc.
Ques. Name a few important subjects to be studied in this program?
Ans. The subjects are:
- Clinical research Guidelines and Regulations
- Clinical Trial Planning and design
- Clinical Trial Conduct, Compliance and Quality Assurance
Ques. What is the role of a Lab Executive after completion of a DCP course?
Ans. Lab Executive is accountable to maintain medical laboratory equipment and tools, presentation through establishing a quality standard; troubleshooting procedures, quality, emerging an operation, certifying instrument performance, guaranteeing staff compliance arranging equipment and tools replacements, repair, and service.