Diploma in Tourism & Travel courses gives you in-depth knowledge to thrive in the international tourism industry by teaching business concepts specific to the field. Short-term, long-term, post-graduation courses are available in the travel and tourism industry.
Depending on the institute and the program, the Diploma in Travel and Tourism course duration could be anywhere between 1- 2 years. Some institutes are also known to offer foundation Diploma courses for a period of 6 months.
The field of travel and tourism deals with taking care of tourists, hospitality management, travel management, tour management, etc. It offers diverse job opportunities. This profession requires a certain set of knowledge, and the skill to multitask and communicate efficiently with customers.
Eligibility is 10+2 with 50% marks in aggregate or its equivalent examination in any stream conducted by a recognized Board / University / Council.
Core subjects in course structure include Tourism Policy and Law, Tourism Marketing, Management, Travel Agency Training, Tour Guiding Skills and Training, HR Management, Office Management and Functions, Air Ticketing, Public Relations, Tour Operation, etc.
Diploma Travel and Tourism: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Under Graduate Diploma|
|Full-Form||Diploma in Travel and Tourism|
|Examination type||Semester Exam|
|Eligibility||Strictly on merit based on Class XII aggregate percentage.|
|Course Fee||Between INR 40,000 and 1,70,000|
|Average starting Salary||INR 25,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Robert Bosch, Microsoft, Infosys, Verizon, Wipro, Tech Mahindra, Southern travels, Concentrix, Cool trips, Bosch Ltd, NTT Data, Oracle, Sapient, South Indian Bank, TATA ELXSI, Biztime, Delta Tech, Hitachi, etc.|
|Job Positions||Tour Operator, Travel Analyst, Management Trainee, Travel Consultant, Travel Agent, Travel Sales Consultant, etc.|
Diploma Travel and Tourism: Admission Process
To seek admission in Diploma Course, a candidate shall have passed the qualifying examination of Standard XII - 10+2 pattern from any stream (Commerce, Arts, Science, Vocation and Home Science) and ITI or Diploma equivalent from any recognized board.
- To get admission, a candidate shall fill-up the online form from the website i.e. within the given time period.
- A candidate has to upload the self-attested copies of requisite certificates and testimonies as specified in the application form.
- A candidate shall require making a payment towards registration fees to be paid online through the Portal and make payment under “Admission Form Fee”.
- There are institutes where there is direct admission which is based on the candidate's performance at the last qualifying exam.
- After the final allotment of seats to the candidate takes the candidates are asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
Diploma Travel and Tourism: Eligibility
Eligibility criteria for candidates applying for Diploma in travel and tourism may differ from college to college.
- Admissions to the diploma are on the basis of merit in the class 12 board exam.
- Candidates should clear Class XII from a recognized board with a minimum of 50% - 60% aggregate marks.
Diploma Travel and Tourism: Entrance Exams
The college offering a Diploma program in travel and tourism has its own selection criteria for selecting the candidates. Some Institutes/Colleges conduct a common entrance test for admission to the course therefore students would have to make an application for such exams.
- The admission process for the students is based on the performance in the relevant entrance examination like DET (Diploma Entrance Test) and also often followed by the round of the personal interview, in which the general aptitude for the course is being tested.
- Students have to qualify for these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission to the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list is prepared and candidates are invited to the admission process by the college.
Note: Due to COVID-19 entrance exams notification will be provided in due time by the college.
Diploma Travel and Tourism: What is it About?
- A diploma in Travel and Tourism Management is open to candidates who are interested in pursuing a career in the tourism industry.
- Travel and Tourism is the aggregation of all the leisure, comfort, and business travel products and activities provided by suppliers.
- The course comprises chiefly fundamentals, history, business statistics, aviation management, and business regulatory framework of tourism along with study and analysis of the trends in the tourism industry.
- The course provides in-depth knowledge in tourism operations, airfare, industry terms, international destinations, reservations, ticketing, and life skills.
- The diploma course prepares the students with the skills, knowledge, and leadership qualities required to succeed as professionals in the tourism industry.
- The career options are in the fields like airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, tour operators, , restaurants, railways, motor coaches, and theme parks.
Why study Diploma Travel and Tourism?
- The course will help students to get an insight into how the Travel and Tourism industry functions and a chance to built-in operational potential and customer management skills. The course equips students with the knowledge required for a flourishing career in Travel and Tourism.
- Being an international industry, the skills that you obtain from college are easily transferable. It is up to you if you want to merge work with travel. The government as well as the private sector is meeting together to shape this field and bringing out the best job possibilities.
- They should have good communication, presentation skills which are necessary for the industry. Applicants should also possess the skill to handle people, verbal fluency; aptitude for languages.
- Students should have up-to-date knowledge of accessible facilities and services in the field and the organizing ability to make decisions and solve problems.
Diploma Travel and Tourism: Top Colleges
|College Name||Average Annual Fees|
|St. Xavier's College, Mumbai||INR 60,000|
|St. Albert’s College, Kochi||INR 67,500|
|Jai Hind College, Mumbai||INR 46,550|
|YMCA Institute For Career Studies, New Delhi||INR 62,696|
|Oakbrook Business School, Gandhinagar||INR 1,50,000|
Diploma Travel and Tourism: College Comparison
|Parameter||St. Xavier's College, Mumbai||St. Albert’s College, Kochi||Oakbrook Business School, Gandhinagar|
|Overview||St. Xavier's College, Mumbai, offers undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in Arts, Science, Commerce, and Management.||St. Albert's College is an autonomous college located in Kochi. It has a degree, postgraduate courses, and seven research centres.||Oakbrook Business School is a prestigious management institute located at Gandhi Nagar, Gujarat. The institute offers MBA and B.Voc. in Travel and Tourism|
|Course fee||INR 60,000||INR 67,500||INR 1,50,000|
|Top Recruiters||McKinsey, EY, Citi Bank, Bain, PwC, AT Kerney, Times Internet||WIPRO, Sutherland, TCS||Capgemini,Cognizant,HCL,TCS,Virtusa,Infosys. Aditya Birla, Flipkart, HDFC|
|Average package||INR 10,00,000||-||INR 4,00,000|
|Research opportunities||Advanced Diploma B.Voc Degree||Advanced Diploma B.Voc Degree||Advanced Diploma B.Voc Degree|
Diploma Travel and Tourism: Distance Education
Distance learning is a means of study that allows students to study most or all of a course without attending a campus-based institution. They are free to work through the course material at fully their own pace for a period of up to 3 years.
Diploma Travel and Tourism: Syllabus
The curriculum design prepares the student to get a feel for the demands and face the challenges of today's Tourism and Travel industry. Teaching comprises lectures and other forms of extension such as presentations, discussions, brainstorming, demonstrations, and field visits.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Fundamentals of Travel and Tourism||Resort & Transportation Management|
|Geography & Tourism And Destinations in India||Basics of Book Keeping|
|Communicative English||Foreign language|
|Communicative Regional Language||Entrepreneurship|
|Documentation||Principles of Management|
Diploma Travel and Tourism: Recommended Books
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Travel Agency Management: Communication India||Aggrawal, Surinder|
|International Tourism||Bhatia, A.K|
|Tourism Management, 5th edition||Stephen J Page|
Travel and Tourism Management
|V.V. Vara Prasad,V.B.T. Sundari|
Tourism: Operations and Management
|Sunetra Roday, Archana Biwal, Vandana Joshi|
Tourism: Past, Present and Future, Heineman, ELBS
|Burkart & Medlik|
Diploma Travel and Tourism: Course Comparison
Diploma in Travel and Tourism Vs PG Diploma in Travel and Tourism
|Course||Diploma in Travel and Tourism||Post Graduate Diploma in Travel and Tourism|
|Duration||1 year||2 year|
|Focus Area||After completion of the course, a student will be well-equipped to handle the queries and work in the travel, tour, or any other segment of the leisure industry.||Students primarily focus on the administration, budgeting, and marketing side of tourist facilities and destinations, which include resorts, convention centres, hotels, cruises, tourism, and airlines.|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 or equivalent in any stream||10+2+3 graduate level|
|Admission Criteria||XII Merit-Based/ Entrance exam based||Graduation Merit-Based/ Entrance exam based|
|Average Course fees||INR 40,000 to INR 1.50,000||INR 50,000 to INR 2,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Infosys, Verizon, Klatenchor, Wipro, Tech Mahindra, Musigma, Southern travels, Concentrix||Bosch Ltd, NTT Data, Oracle, Sapient, South Indian Bank, TATA ELXSI, Anhad Edutrain, Biztime, Delta Tech|
Diploma Travel and Tourism: Job Profile
|Job Role||Description||Average salary|
|Tourism Marketing Manager||In charge of procuring sales of tourist packages as well as arranging tour packages for clients||INR 1,85,136|
|Travel Consultant||They are responsible for advising clients about suitable travel options in accordance with their needs, wants, and capabilities. They help in planning trips to domestic or international destinations, tours, accommodation, transport, insurance and fares.||INR 3,61,000|
|Travel Agent||A travel agent's role is to help people plan, choose and arrange their holiday. They will generally work to a budget set out by whoever is planning the holiday. They also offer advice and opinions on where to go and local tourist attractions, events and customs||INR 2,97,661|
|Tour Operator||A tour operator typically combines tour and travel components to create a package holiday. They advertise and produce brochures to promote their products, holidays and itineraries||INR 2,05,548|
|Travel Expense Analyst||Travel Analyst will manage expense systems corporate and purchasing card programs, day-to-day expense reporting and auditing operations, and business communications and education. The Analyst will be required to prioritize and balance business needs and exhibit excellent customer service skills.||INR 4,40,000|
Students interested in pursuing a career in Tourism can join various courses in the same at the undergraduate (UG) or postgraduate (PG) level. Candidates with multi-tasking capacity & great team spirit are often establishing in this profession. The course is designed for students who seek a standard qualification in business travel and tourism. A variety of career opportunities are available after doing a travel and tourism course.
- When it comes to the Government sector, one may find a job at Tourism Boards (State as well as Central), Government Tourist information offices, Government-run Hotels, Airlines, Transportation services, etc.
- If we look at the careers in the private field one can work for travel agencies, tour operators, travel consultants, airlines, visa and travel documents service firms, Hotels, Resorts, Tourist information offices, etc.
- If you have business skills then you can start your own business like decent financial resources, travel agency, ticketing firm, tour agency, travel consultancy, tourist information service, etc.
Diploma Travel and Tourism: Future Scope
Candidates can take a degree, diploma, or certificate course in travel and tourism at graduation or post-graduation level. Candidates can also go for a PhD in their chosen subject of travel and tourism to build their career in the field of research.
- Advanced diploma: Advance Diploma in Travel and Tourism is a comprehensive study course for future marketers, managers, and professionals for the Travel and Tourism Industry. The advanced diploma offers numerous set of job opportunities in tour operations, tourism boards, sales, management companies for cruise and destinations, travel agencies, tour operating companies, tour and destination companies, airports, and hotels.
- Bachelor’s Degree: This is a three-year course with several specialized subjects like foreign languages, Religious tourism, Environmental studies, Tourism planning, etc. which the students have to study during this course. The course will provide students with the fundamental knowledge of the tourism industry, preparing for exciting jobs in the field of tourism. Students will be trained in the business and management principals of tourism.
- PG Diploma/Master’s Degree: If one wishes to continue in the same field of education, and go for higher studies, then the first program of choice is PG Diploma. It is a 2-year full-time postgraduate course, the minimum eligibility in Tourism degree or Bachelor’s Degree in any field.
- PhD: Aspirants can do a PhD in Tourism with the eligibility of Master’s Degree in Tourism/ Hotel Management/ Aviation Management/ from any accredited Indian or Foreign University with a minimum of 55% marks or grade point average.
- Associated Careers include Airlines (Ground & In-Flight Staff, Sales & Marketing, HR, IT) and Hotels & Resorts (Operations, Front-Office, Food & Beverage, Sales & Marketing, Accounting, Public Relations, IT, HR)
- Freelance Writer or Travel Blogger: You can also opt for a freelancing job. As a winning travel blogger, you may be offered opportunities to collaborate with travel brands, get free trips, etc in exchange for writing about them on your blog or creating videos, photos, etc.
Diploma Travel and Tourism: FAQs
Ques: What are the courses in Travel & Tourism?
Ans: There are Diploma and Certificate courses available along with the UG and PG courses.
Ques: What is the qualification for a Diploma in Travel & Tourism Courses?
Ans: The minimum qualification required is: 10+2 – CBSE Board or Intermediate – State Board
Ques: What is the difference between Travel & Tourism?
Ans: The movement from one place to another due to work, to meet family/friends, for a short while or healthcare, college is termed as travel. Tourism, on the other hand, refers to the movement of an individual for recreational purposes to locations, such as national parks, monuments, museums, beaches, big cities, a resort town nestled in the mountains, night clubs, etc.,
Ques: What are the employment opportunities available in this Travel & Tourism industry?
Ans: Airlines, Cargo, Courier & Logistics Management, Currency Exchange Bureaus, Travel Agencies, Tour Companies, Hotels, Motels & Resorts, Cruise Companies, Tourism Education, Tourism Research, Travel Journalism, Recreation Tourism, Tourist Offices, and Information Centers, etc.
Ques: Is there any Entrance exam for admission to diploma in travel and tourism?
Ans: Some Institutes/Colleges conduct a common entrance test for admission to the course. The admission process for the students is based on the performance in the relevant entrance examination like DET (Diploma Entrance Test) and also often followed by the round of the personal interview.
Ques: Is there an age limit for a diploma in travel and tourism??
Ans: No, there is no upper age limit for the Diploma course in Travel and Tourism
Ques: What will be the salary for a fresher after Diploma in Travel and Tourism?
Ans: After pursuing a diploma, you can expect a starting salary of INR. 20,000- INR 25,000 per month.
Ques: What will be the average fees for Diploma in Travel and Tourism?
Ans: The fee for the course varies from INR 45,000 to 1, 50,000 across various colleges and universities across the country.
Ques: What is the eligibility for a Diploma in Travel and Tourism?
Ans: Candidates applying for Diploma in travel and tourism should clear Class XII from a recognized board with a minimum of 50% - 60% aggregate marks.