MHM or Master of Hotel Management is a 2-year postgraduate program. MHM course is involved in the hospitality sector with management and administration techniques. The eligibility for the course is graduation with at least 55% marks in any discipline from a recognized college. BHM is preferable. To get admission in this course, Colleges and Universities followed two processes either merit-based selection or entrance exam.
MHM Top Colleges
Below are given the top MHM colleges based on the rankings by The Week:
|The Week 2019 -20 Ranking||College name||Admission process||Average annual fees||Average annual salary|
|1||IHM Pusa Delhi||Entrance exam||INR 1.19 lakhs||INR 10 lakhs|
|2||WGSHA Manipal||Merit-based/ entrance exam||INR 2.60 lakhs||INR 4 lakhs|
|4||IHM Bangalore||Entrance exam||INR 1.20 lakhs||INR 3.36 lakhs|
|5||IHM Chennai||Entrance exam with a personal interview||INR 1.25 lakhs||INR 3.45 lakhs|
|6||IHM Kolkata||Merit-based/ entrance exam followed by counseling||INR 1 Lakh||INR 2.04 lakhs|
- The average fee for the course is INR 30,000 to INR 1.5 lakhs. The fee depends on the course offered by private or government colleges. It may vary on the size and location of the campus.
- The job profiles after Master of Hotel Management are Catering Supervisor, Cabin Crew, Hospitality Executive, Catering Officer, Sales Executive, Hotel Manager, Hotel Supervisor, Marketing Executive, etc.
- The average salary for the course is INR 3 lakhs to INR 8 lakhs. It mainly depends on employee skills. Also, it varies on the location & size of the company.
- The top recruiting companies are The Leela, Vivanta by Taj, The Oberoi, Trident, Aamby Valley, Hyatt, Marriott, Jet Airways, Emirates, Qatar Airways, etc.
Check Out: BHM Colleges in New Delhi
What is the MHM Course All About?
MHM or Master of hotel management is a 2-year post-graduate program. MHM course is involved in the hospitality sector with management and administration techniques.
- Master of Hotel Management is a Postgraduate program that offers specialization in various hotel and hotel-related skills such as marketing, housekeeping, food and beverage, hospitality, catering, security, finance, etc.
- Students are provided knowledge about marketing management, food and beverage management, proficiency and communication skills, and accommodation management.
- They will learn communication and organizational skills as well. They should be well-spoken and welcoming as the job involves communicating with clients from different cultural backgrounds.
See Also: B.Sc. Hotel Management Courses
MHM Course Highlights
Course highlights of Master of Hotel management. It includes eligibility, admission process, course fee, salary package, top recruiting companies, colleges, job profiles, etc.
|Examination Type||Semester wise|
|Eligibility||Graduation with minimum 55% marks from a recognized college|
|Admission process||Merit-based and Entrance exam|
|Course Fee||INR 30,000 - INR 1.5 lakhs|
|Average Salary (per month)||INR 3 lakhs - INR 8 lakhs|
|Top Recruiting companies||The Leela, Trident, Hyatt, Marriott, Jet Airways, Vivanta by Taj, Emirates, Qatar Airways, etc.|
|Job Position||Catering Supervisor, Cabin Crew, Hospitality Executive, Catering Officer, Sales Executive, Hotel Manager, Hotel Supervisor, Marketing Executive, etc.|
See Also: Hotel Management Courses in Ghaziabad
MHM Admission Process
The admission process in the Master of Hotel Management course is through two procedures: merit-based selection or entrance exam.
Some colleges have the procedure of merit-based selection. It means students can enroll themselves on the basis of their marks. The procedure to enroll is:
- The registration forms date releases by respective colleges or universities on their official website. The student has to fill the form online and submit the registration fees before the last date.
- Cutoff list release by colleges and universities. Students have to choose college according to their eligibility.
- The date to submit documents will be released by the college. Students have to submit the correct documents as proof. Documents required are class X Marksheet, Class XII Marksheet, recent character certificate, migration certificate, photographs, signature, bachelor’s degree.
The eligibility criteria for the Master of Hotel Management course is:
- Students have to qualify for graduation with a minimum of 55% marks from a recognized college or university.
- 5% moderation is given to those students who are in the reserved categories like SC/ST/OBC.
- Bachelor of Hotel Management is a preferred undergraduate course.
- No receptacle is accepted in any subject. Students should be fully qualified in every subject.
- Some colleges or universities have different eligibility criteria as a common entrance test for admission.
See Also: Diploma in Hotel Management Course
MHM Entrance Exams
Some colleges and universities take admissions through entrance exams. Students will get admission on the basis of their marks in the entrance exam:
- Colleges or universities release entrance exam details on their official website. Students have to fill the form online and submit the registration fees set by them.
- The admit card will be released online by the college for the entrance exam.
- The date of the exam will be released by college or universities. College or universities conduct online or offline methods.
- The result date will be out for the final selection to get admission to college.
- The documentation dates will be released by the members of the college. Students have to submit the correct documents as proof. Documents required are class X Marksheet, Class XII Marksheet, recent character certificate, migration certificate, photographs, signature, bachelor’s degree.
The entrance exams are:
- NCHMCT JEE: National Council for Hotel Management & Catering Technology
- CIHM: Chandigarh Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology
- SGIEE: Sanjay Gandhi Institute Entrance Exam
The details of the entrance exams of the MHM course are given below:
|Entrance exam||Application form||Exam date||Exam mode|
|NCHMCT JEE||January 1 - May 15, 2020||August 29, 2020||Online and offline|
|SGIEE||August 3 - August 31, 2020||To be announced||Online|
See Also: Top Bachelor of Hotel Management Courses
How to Prepare for the Entrance exam?
Some preparation tips to clear entrance exams of respective college and universities:
- Be aware of the subject and entrance exam held in that course.
- Score good marks in bachelor’s degrees.
- Choose the subject according to your interest.
- Find the best top institutes for your preparation for the entrance exam. The conditions depend on choosing institutes are fees, location, faculty, institute services, weekly test, study material, transportation, etc.
- Know the syllabus of the entrance exam before preparation.
- You should have knowledge about the exam pattern, sections contained.
- You should be aware of the exam marks, section marks, per question marks, negative marking, etc.
- You should give a weekly test through online mode to save and utilize the time in study.
- One should have strong general awareness and English communication and writing skills.
- Learn from help books with the study material provided by the institute.
Check Out: BA Hotel Management Course
How to get MHM Admission in a good college?
Every student must follow these guidelines to get admission in a good college or university:
- Firstly, you have to clear the undergraduate courses with eligible marks required by the college or university.
- Students should have knowledge about colleges. Make a college list in which you want to go. Try in all the colleges.
- Fill the registration form earliest with the submission fees.
- Boost your skills with extra co-curricular activities.
- Students have to clear entrance exams and interviews conducted by colleges or universities to check the ability of the students.
- Go earliest for the documentation according to the cutoff list by colleges.
- Optimize your analytics
- Be aware of your interest area, strengths, and weaknesses.
- Work on your weak area to get the best results.
See Also: BBA in Hotel Management Course
This course is for 2 years. There are 4 semesters. Each year has 2 semesters. The syllabus depends on the subject and exams. The syllabus includes both theoretical and practical:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Organizational Behaviour||Applied Operations Research|
|Food and Beverage Management||Communication and Soft Skills|
|French for Hotel Management||Nutrition and Dietetics Management|
|Accommodation Management||Marketing Management|
|Principles and Practices of Management||Human Resource Management|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Workshop on Executive Communication||Strategic Management|
|Financial Management Facilities||Fundamentals of Tourism and Tourism Products|
|Hospitality Management||Management Institute System MIS|
|Design and Management||Marketing and Sales|
|Accommodation Management||Project and Viva Voce|
|Food and Beverage Management||Practical in MIS|
Every student must read these top books with their authors while pursuing MHM. Some of the books are mentioned below:
|Food and Beverage Service||R. Singaravelavan|
|The Food Service Professionals Guide to Controlling Restaurant and Food Service Food Costs||Douglas Robert Brown|
|Hotel and Hospitality Management: Housekeeping||Prakash Talwar|
|Hotel Security and Executive Protection||R.K. Sinha|
|The Transforming Power of Hospitality in Business||Danny Meyer|
|The Food Service Professionals Guide to Controlling Liquor, Wine and Beverage Costs||Elizabeth Godsmark|
|Hotel Management and Operations||Michael J. O′Fallon and Denney G. Rutherford|
|The Food Service Professionals Guide to Waiter and Waitress Training: How to Develop Your Wait Staff For Maximum Service and Profit||Lora Arduser|
|Hotel Front Office Management||James A. Bardi|
|Hotel Law (Oxford Higher Education)||Amitabh Devendra|
MHM Top Colleges
The top colleges of Master of Hotel Management in by IndiaToday with average fees and average annual salary are mentioned in the below table:
|IndiaToday 2020 Ranking||College Name||City||Average Fees in INR||Average Placement Package|
|1||IHM Pusa||Entrance Exam||INR 1.19 LPA||INR 10 LPA|
|2||WGSHA Manipal||Entrance Exam / Merit||INR 2.60 LPA||INR 4 LPA|
|4||IHM Bangalore||Entrance||INR 1.20 LPA||INR 3.36 LPA|
|7||IHM Chennai||Entrance exam with a personal interview||INR 1.25 LPA||INR 3.45 LPA|
|8||IHM Lucknow||Entrance||INR 1 LPA||INR 1.95 LPA|
|10||IHM Kolkata||Entrance||INR 1 LPA||INR 2.04 LPA|
|31||OSHM Wayanad||Entrance||INR 83,250 per year||INR 2.04 LPA|
|36||HCMI Chandigarh||Entrance||INR 94,000 per year||INR 2 LPA|
|42||CTIHMCT Jalandhar||Merit||INR 50,850 per year||INR 1 LPA|
MHM College Comparison
The below is a comparison in between WGSHA Manipal and IHM Pusa:
|Parameters||Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Management||Institute of Hotel Management, Catering, And Nutrition, Pusa|
|About college||Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration (WGSHA), Manipal, Karnataka is a private higher education institution established in 1986.||The Institute of Hotel Management, Catering & Nutrition is one of the premier hospitality Institutes located in Pusa, New Delhi. It was set up in 1962 and provides quality education at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.|
|Eligibility||Graduation with minimum 55% marks from a recognized college||Graduation with minimum 55% marks from a recognized college|
|Admission process||Entrance exam||Entrance exam|
|Average fees||INR 2.60 lakhs||INR 1.19 lakhs|
|Top recruiting organizations||ITC Hotels, Taj hotels, The Oberoi group, etc.||ITC, Samsung, Reliance, Hilton, Hyatt, Dusit, etc.|
|Average salary||INR 4 LPA||INR 10 LPA|
Check Out: B.Sc. Hospitality and Hotel Administration
MHM Distance Education
Distance education is available for a Master of Hotel Management. Some colleges offer distance education in this course are mentioned below:
|Colleges||Admission Process||Average fee|
|MOD-Tech College of Engineering||Merit-based||INR 33,000|
See Also: MBA in Hotel Management Course
Why Study MHM Course?
Below mentioned are the benefits, skills, and reasons for pursuing the Master of Hotel Management course:
Choose your environment: The hospitality industry is different from any other industry in that the skills and education you acquire will allow you to work anywhere in the world.
Job benefits are exceptional: A significant component of this is offering excellent benefits and competitive salaries in order to attract and retain exceptional employees and management staff.
Plenty of opportunities: If you work within the hotel industry, there will be multiple opportunities to advance your career, particularly with larger hotel chains.
Free food: Employees will get free food in their place. people spend a lot on weekends on these foods but you get free food there.
Discounted travel: Employees will get free or discounted travel tours by the organization.
Skills required: The skills necessary for the course are:
Analytical and problem-solving skills
Students should have good communication skills.
Students should have good interpersonal skills.
Ability to work well as part of a team.
Good leadership skills.
Motivate other members of staff.
Ability to discipline other members of staff.
Remain calm under pressure.
Reasons for pursuing the course: Some reasons for pursuing the management course:
You will learn leadership skills and communication skills.
You will learn quantitative research skills.
It is a varied and powerful industry. it has a variety of careers from financial management, marketing, event management, tourism, etc.
It is a continually growing industry.
See Also: MBA in Tourism and Hotel Management
MHM Course Comparison
Course comparison is important for students. Students should choose the course according to their interests. The parameters on which they can compare the course, is a brief explanation about the course, duration, eligibility, admission process, average course fee, average salary, job profiles, top colleges, top companies, etc. Here is the comparison between Master of Hotel Management and Master of Hospital Management:
|Parameters||Master of Hotel Management||Master of Hospital Management|
|Brief explanation||Master of Hotel Management is a master’s program that offers specialization in various hotel and hotel-related skills such as marketing, housekeeping, food and beverage, hospitality, catering, security, finance, etc.||The course is designed to train eligible candidates in hospital management, and incorporates components of medical tourism in a health sector and for leadership roles by equipping them with training in planning, project, operational, financial, material, and human resource management.|
|Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Eligibility||Graduation with minimum 55% marks from a recognized college||Graduation from a recognized college|
|Admission process||Merit-based / Entrance exam||Entrance exam|
|Job roles||Catering Supervisor, Cabin Crew, Sales Executive, Hotel Manager, Hotel Supervisor, Marketing Executive, Hospitality Executive, etc.||Health care finance manager, blood bank administrator, HR Recruiter, hospital administrator, etc.|
|Average fees||INR 30,000 - INR 1.5 LPA||INR 8,000 - INR 1.4 LPA|
|Average salary||INR 3 - 8 LPA||INR 1 - 10 LPA|
|Top recruiting organization||The Leela, The Oberoi, Trident, Aamby Valley, Hyatt, Marriott, Jet Airways, Emirates, Qatar Airways, etc.||Hospitals, clinics, emergency services, and other healthcare environments.|
See Also: M.Sc. Tourism and Hospitality Management
- MHM Hospitality Management: This course focuses on the Front Office management and administrative skills. The course has average fees from INR 70,000 to 7 LPA. The average salary for this course is INR 2 - 10 LPA.
- MHM Catering Management: This specialization focuses on the Food and Beverage service. The course average fees are in between INR 30,000 to 6 LPA with an average salary package in between 2 to 9 LPA.
Check Out: Hotel Management Courses in Panchkula
MHM Future Scope
Courses related to MHM are:
Candidates can be absorbed in different departments such as Front Office, Operations, Accounting, Maintenance, Security, Sales and Marketing, and Kitchen. Students can pursue a Ph.D. or M.Phil Program after Master of Hotel Management. Also, They can further research in this field.
MHM Job Prospects and Career Options
There are multiple Career options with good jobs after the Masters of Hotel Management Course. There are many profiles you can work as Catering Supervisor, Cabin Crew, Hospitality Executive, Catering Officer, Sales Executive, Hotel Manager, Hotel Supervisor, Marketing Executive, etc. The area of employment is club management, hotel, and resorts, guest houses, forest lodges, hospitals, etc.
|Job Profiles||Description||Average salary INR in LPA|
|Catering officer||The role of Catering officer is to run daily catering operations and services in restaurants, hotels, resorts. They lead catering aspirants.||3.90|
|Resort manager||The role of the resort manager is to maintain lodging, ensuring high-quality hospitality services, organizing different events, and making sure that all needs are covered by them. They work in the hospitality industry.||4.80|
|Hotel manager||The role of a hotel manager is to manage staff and employees. Also, they are responsible for planning, marketing, coordinating, and administering hotel services such as catering and accommodation facilities.||4.67|
|Cabin crew||The role of the cabin crew is to assure the safety and comfort of passengers. They greet passengers about board and exit plans, showing their seats, special attention to elders, and disabled passengers.||5.58|
|Hospitality Executive||The role of the hospitality executive is to run daily operations of restaurants, resorts, and hotels. They are ensuring that the facilities are properly maintained, taking steps to ensure customer satisfaction, and overseeing the upkeep of administrative and financial records.||5.85|
MHM Salary Trend
Check Out: M.Sc. Hotel and Catering Management Course
Ques. What are the top recruiting areas in MHM?
Ques. Can I know what higher studies can we do in hotel management after the 3-year degree?
Ques. In which sector of MBA should I go after my post graduation in hotel management?
Ques. What is MHM?
Ques. Is it worth pursuing a hotel management degree amidst the spread of COVID-19?
Ques. What is the salary of a fresher in hotel management?
Ques. Can I pursue hotel management after class 12 with the Arts stream?
Ques. Is there any age limit while pursuing a hotel management course?
Ques. Is it compulsory to learn foreign languages for a hotel management course?