PhD in Criminology is a Research level course. Criminology is basically the study of crime from a social view and the focus of the study is to determine what makes an individual commit crimes or act in a criminal manner.
The duration of this course is 2 to 5 years. This course includes subjects like Capital Punishment, Crime & Drugs, Crime Prevention, Sentencing etc.
Colleges grant admission to this course on the basis of entrance examination followed by an interview and some colleges grant admission on the basis of the admission rounds then are assigned supervisors for their PhD research.A student can be eligible for this course after getting a Master's degree in a relevant discipline. The candidates should also have a minimum 40% marks aggregate in the English subject.
The average cost for pursuing PhD Criminology is INR 25,000 to INR 50,000, while the exact fees can be varying from college to college.
Here we have mentioned some of the top colleges according to NIRF Ranking Survey 2020 in the table given below:
|Collegedunia Rating||College Name||Admission Process||Fee Structure||Average Salary Package|
|8.6||Chandigarh University, Chandigarh||Entrance followed by an Interview||INR 70,000||INR 1.42 LPA|
|7.4||University of Madras, Chennai||Entrance followed by an Interview||INR 10,970||INR 4.5 LPA|
|7.4||KIIT School of Law, Bhubaneswar||Personal Interview round||INR 50,000||INR 4 LPA|
|7.8||NIMS University, Jaipur||Entrance followed by an Interview||INR 60,000||INR 3.5 LPA|
|7.2||Dr. Harisingh Gour University, Safar||Entrance followed by an Interview||INR 12,500||INR 4 LPA|
After completing this course, the candidates can find jobs in the fields of Lecturer, Researcher, Lawyer, Criminologist, Legal advisor, Forensic Scientist, Investigator, Police, CBI, FBI, Crime Laboratories and many others.
The average starting salary after completing this course generally lies between INR 4,00,000 to INR 8,00,000 depending on the skills of the candidates.
The scope of PhD in Criminology includes detecting crime to design strategies to prevent crime, to investigate crime to punish and to include perspectives on making laws being broken.
What is the PhD in Criminology Admission Process?
The PhD in Criminology admission is granted based on the merits of PG and entrance exam which is followed by a personal interview round with the head faculty of the course. Based on the performance, the student will be granted admission to the PhD course.
To get admission in PhD in Criminology, the aspirants need to follow these steps given below:
- STEP 1- You have to visit the official website of the particular Institute & select the areas of research that you want to study.
- STEP 2- The aspirants have to fill the application form to grant admission in the course of their choice.
- STEP 3- Then aspirants have to submit the application on the date fixed by the Institute. And submit the documents required as well.
- STEP 4- Most of the colleges’ shortlist the names of the candidates for the entrance exam & also they conduct an admission round for short listing the aspirants for admission to the course.
- STEP 5- Then, selected students on the basis of admission rounds are then assigned supervisors/ guides for their course.
What is the PhD in Criminology Eligibility Criteria?
The eligibility criteria differ among the colleges. Though, the core criteria for pursuing PhD in Criminology across any university in India is the same. Here are the basic requirements that every aspirant needs to have in order to pursue the course.
- Students who want to pursue PhD Criminology should have a Master's degree in a relevant discipline with a minimum average of 65%.
- Candidates should also have to pass in their higher secondary examination with a minimum 40% marks score in their English subject.
- For admission in a top reputed college, an aspirant must qualify the entrance examination.
What are the Various PhD in Criminology Entrance Exams in India?
There are various entrance exams through which you can get admission in PhD in Criminology. Here is all you need to know about them in detail.
- CUCET 2020 – Central University Common Entrance Test is a national level examination conducted by the Central University of Rajasthan. The paper is conducted once in a year across various cities in India. It’s an offline mode exam of a total duration of 2 hours.
- BHU PET 2020 - Banaras Hindu University conducts national level postgraduate (PET) entrance tests. This exam consists of MCQs only and there are a total 120 questions. Total time you will get to solve all the questions is 2 hours.
- DUET 2020 –This exam is conducted by the National Testing Agency on National level once in a year. This exam is an Online computer based mode. This exam is conducted on UG, PG, MPhil and PhD level programs. The total time you will get to solve all the questions is 2 hours.
|Exam Name||Exam Date||Application Date||Exam Mode|
|CUCET 2020||To be notified||March 16, 2020 – June 6, 2020||Offline|
|BHU RET 2020||August 16- August 31, 2020||January 30, 2020 – March 12, 2020||Online|
|DUET 2020||To be notified||June 20, 2020 – July 18, 2020||Computer Based|
How to Prepare for PhD Criminology Entrance Exams?
There are few points that a candidate should keep in mind while preparing for the PhD in Criminology entrance exam they are:
Unlimited practice is must, where you can solve maximum to maximum questions.
The entrance test for PhD Criminology may include multiple choice questions. The topics covered under this entrance test include:
- Criminology and correctional administration
- Forensic science and forensic prints and impressions
- Police administration and police science
- Forensic medicine and toxicology
- Forensic psychology and correctional psychology
- Research and statistical methods in criminology and forensic science
- Cybercrime and cyber forensics
- Victim log and human rights
- Criminal major acts
- Security and vigilance
For General Knowledge you should read newspapers daily, watch current affairs and special programs on news.
How to Get Admission in A Good PhD in Criminology College?
For the admission in the best PhD in Criminology colleges, you should have some to keep in mind some important things like:
- You should have the proper knowledge of sociology and anthropology for understanding society and culture.
- You should have excellent written communication & analytical thinking skills and math knowledge as well.
- Get the best possible grades you can during your Master's degree course, it should be according to the eligibility criteria of the particular university.
- Nearly all the university admissions officers look for evidence of an inquiring mind in student applications, so you should have an inquiring mind.
What is PhD Criminology About?
PhD in criminology is an excellent opportunity for the aspirants to get into the world of law and justice. It helps students to analyze crimes and criminals and the laws surrounding them. Here are some important points about PhD in Criminology that you must know:
- The vision of PhD in Criminology is to become the programme of choice for highly qualified students seeking an advanced research degree in Criminology.
- The programme views interdisciplinary work and research as the core of its activity and combines training and teaching. Its aim is to promote innovative and dynamic thinking by blending theory and practice in the fields of criminology, criminal justice and crime prevention.
- This course provides ideal opportunities to study Criminology, Sociology and Criminal justice.
PhD Criminology Course Highlights
Criminology is the best choice for the aspirants who are interested in studying the mindset of criminals and their nature of crime. Listed below are some of the noteworthy highlights of the course.
|Course||Ph.D. in Criminology|
|Duration||2 to 5 years|
|Eligibility||Master’s degree in a relevant discipline|
|Average Tuition Fee||INR 25,000 to INR 50,000|
|Average Salary||INR 4 LPA to INR 8 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Organizations||High Court of India, Supreme Court of India, Forensic Departments of Govt. of India, Police Organizations, etc.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Test followed by Interview|
Why PhD in Criminology?
From the lucrative and exciting job career that lies ahead to the academic career, PhD in Criminology opens up a range of opportunities to the aspirants. Here is why you should pursue a PhD in Criminology.
- It prepares the holder for administrative, academic research or for a professional position in the field of criminal justice in both public and private institutes.
- The study of Criminology is an important aspect as it helps students to understand the concepts applied in Criminology. Students learn different concepts in criminology.
- After completion of PhD in criminology students can grab jobs in various sectors like Criminologist, Researcher, and Lecturer etc.
- Research is powerful enough to curb crimes. Make your mark in this field by enrolling in a PhD in Criminology program.
- The wide-ranging benefits of having a PhD degree in Criminology exceed both practical and personal application.
- PhD in Criminology degree holders have the expertise and critical reasoning skills that are vital in high-level problem-solving and decision making circumstances.
PhD in Criminology or PhD in Criminal Law, which is Better?
Both PhD in Criminology and PhD in Criminal Law course is best at their places, it only depends on your future career goals and your field of interest. Criminology deals with the crime and criminal by understanding the psychology behind it, whereas criminal laws deal with the societal laws of the crime.
|Basis||PhD in Criminology||PhD in Criminal Law|
|Overview||Criminology is the study of criminal & crime in general||Criminal Law is the study of those laws which determine what constitute a crime.|
|Specialization||Specialization include drug abuse, court system, public policy, law enforcement, criminal ethology & many other fields.||Some of the popular specializations for Diploma are: Public Enterprise, CAD & CAM, Child Care and Education, Mass Media Management, Information Technology.|
|Eligibility||Master’s degree in a relevant discipline||Undergraduate degree in Law with at least 50-60% marks in graduation.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Test followed by Interview||Based on the aspirant's performance in the entrance examination.|
|Duration||2 – 5 years||3 years|
|Average Annual Course Fees||INR 25,000 – INR 50,000||INR 5,000 – INR 5,00,000|
|Job Roles||Law Courts, and Research Development Firms, Law and Enforcement Organizations and Universities, Sociologist, Criminologist etc.||Legal Advisor, Criminal Lawyer, Standing Courses, Criminal Law Practitioner, Additional Public prosecutor etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 4.5 LPA||INR 3 LPA|
Which are the Best PhD in Criminology Institutes?
PhD in Criminology is provided by a wide range of Indian universities, both private and public. Listed below are some of the top and popular institutes in India that offer PhD in Criminology:
|Ranking NIRF 2020||College Name||Average Fees||Average Salary|
|41||University of Madras||INR 10,970||INR 4.5 LPA|
|47||University of Mysore||INR 11,000||INR 3.2 LPA|
|-||Karunya Institute of Technology & Sciences||INR 76,000||INR 4 LPA|
|-||Chandigarh University||INR 70,000||INR 3.42 LPA|
|-||KIIT School of Law||__||INR 4 LPA|
|-||Dr. Harisingh Gour University||INR 12,500||INR 4.5 LPA|
|-||NIMS University||INR 60,000||INR 4 LPA|
|-||Shri Krishna University||INR 92,333||INR 6.5 LPA|
|-||Raksha Shakti University||INR 58,000||INR 6.8 LPA|
PhD in Criminology College Comparison
Below we have made a comparison between the top PhD in Criminology colleges on parameters like NIRF ranking and on other major grounds that any aspirant can have a look on. Here we have chosen these three colleges because they are one of the top most and reputed colleges of India with minimum fees charged.
|Parameter||KIIT School of Law (KSOL)||University of Madras||Chandigarh University|
|Overview||KIIT School of Law is a private institute that is deemed to be a university. The institution offers undergraduate and postgraduate courses in engineering, Bio-technology, medicines, Law, rural Management, fashion etc. In the NIRF rankings announced on June 11, 2020, KIIT's rank improved to 20th in Overall category, while it was ranked 24th in the rank for University.||The University of Madras is a government university in Chennai. The university is spread over six campuses, namely- Chepauk, Marina, Guindy, Taramani, Maduravoyal and Chetpet etc. the University of Madras has been given the status of ‘University with potential for Excellence (UPE) by the University Grants Commission.||Chandigarh University is a private university; it is recognized by the UGC. There are also courses which are also approved by the All India Council for Technical Education, NCHMCT, BCI, PCI, COA, and NCTE. The university has been accredited with some prestigious A+ grade by the national assessment accreditation council.|
|Location||Bhubaneswar, Orissa||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||Chandigarh|
|Admission Process||Personal Interview round||Entrance followed by an Interview||Entrance followed by an Interview|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 50,000||INR 75,000||INR 70,000|
|Average Salary||INR 4 LPA||IRN 4.5 LPA||INR 1.42 LPA|
|Top Recruiters||Amazon, DELL, HCL technologies, Cognizant, Media, Accenture.||Valeo, Aspire System, Adrenalin E-Systems, TransUnion, CCS InfoTech etc.||Amazon, Microsoft, SAP Labs, VMWare, HP, Deloitte, Cognizant, Sapient, Hitach.|
What is the PhD in Criminology Syllabus?
PhD Criminology helps students to learn about the nature of the crime and the mind of the criminals. The syllabus of PhD in Criminology may differ based on the university one chooses. Here are few of the most covered topics of the course by most of the universities.
|SUBJECTS OF STUDY|
|Unit 1: Capital Punishment|
|Unit 2: Corrections|
|Unit 3: Crime and Drugs|
|Unit 4: Crime Prevention|
|Unit 5: Juvenile Justice|
|Unit 6: Sentencing|
What are the PhD in Criminology Job Prospects?
After completing the PhD in Criminology course, students can work in a variety of fields such as, they can work as a researcher, lecturer, or in other government crime branches such as CBI, IB, etc.
Some of the popular professional avenues and careers open in India as well as abroad are listed below along with the annual salaries offered for the respective positions and description of the jobs offered after PhD (Criminology).
|Criminal Investigator||Investigate criminal acts such as homicides, sexual assaults, armed robberies, home invasions, and property crimes such as burglaries. Collect and use forensic evidence to solve crimes. Interview informants, suspects, and witnesses to ascertain alibis, clues, time frames, and possible suspects and keep detailed records.||INR 9.4 LPA|
|Sociologists||Sociologists typically design research projects to test theories about social issues. They study human behaviour, interaction and organization. They observe the activity of social, religious, political and economics groups, organizations and institutions.||INR 7.8 LPA|
|Criminal Justice Professor||The criminal justice professor, essentially, is teaching students the system or process in the community by which crimes are investigated, and the persons suspected thereof are taken in custody, prosecuted in court and punished, if found guilty, provisions being made for their correction and rehabilitation.||INR 6.5 LPA|
|Legal advisor||As a legal advisor, you will be responsible for handling a company's legal responsibilities. Legal advisors are lawyers who are employed by the government, large companies and other organizations to provide legal advice and services to the organization and its employees.||INR 5.9 LPA|
|Criminologist||The core job of a criminologist is to examine all aspects of crime and find ways to prevent criminal behaviour and reduce recidivism. Criminologists gather statistics and identify patterns. They look at types of crimes as well as demographics and locations. A criminologist's job is mostly related to research , and their research might be conducted in a sterile office setting or the field.||INR 4.1 LPA|
The scope of PhD in Criminology is very wide. While pursuing PhD in Criminology, students will learn a multitude of things about the world of crime such through various mediums such as:
- Study the effect of social conditions on crimes and criminals including the machinery of justice and the evolution of criminal law and punishment.
- Study of the origin and development of criminal laws.
- You may be the professor in a College or in a University or you may be the professor in the legal study or the judiciary member.
- There are a lot of good job opportunities in the field of Criminology. It is an emerging career in India and abroad as well.
- After you complete PhD (Criminology) you can opt for a job in various areas like Forensic department, Police, Research area, CBI, Court FBI etc.
PhD in Criminology FAQs
Ques. Is a graduate degree in Criminology worth it? Why?
Ans. Yes, because if you are thinking about doing a PhD (Criminology) know that with the current job market, the degree will put you in excellent employment shape.
Ques. What are the major areas of Criminology?
Ans. The major fields of study are Sociology of Crimes and Ethics, Law Enforcement Administration, Criminalistics, Correctional administration, Practicum 1 and 2, Crime Detection and Investigation.
Ques. Is a PhD in Criminology a respected degree?
Ans. Yes, it has good and huge career opportunities with high salary packages. A PhD(Criminology) degree holder can work in both the public and private sector, like state police, CBI, FBI, NGOs, central police etc.
Ques. Do criminologists get paid well?
Ans. Yes of course criminologists get paid well because they work for the federal government, where a criminologist can earn a starting salary of INR 4,10,000 a year.
Ques. What careers can I do with a PhD (Criminology) degree?
Ans. You can make a career as a Legal Advisor, Lawyer, Forensic, Criminologist, Investigator etc.