What is PhD Physical Education?
PhD Physical Education is a research-based doctorate course which involves deep research in advanced Physical Education topics like Biomechanics, Sports Nutrition, Management in Physical Education, Technology in Physical Education, etc. The minimum duration of the course is 3 years, but it can be extended to 5 years.
A candidate must complete Masters in Physical Education with minimum 55% aggregate marks to be eligible for PhD Physical Education. They should also have adequate Physical Education skills as they may be tested during Personal Interview.
The Admission to PhD Physical Education is mostly Entrance Based. Most colleges take a personal interview of the shortlisted candidates after the entrance exam for final selection. Some important entrance exams for this course include UGC-NET, CSIR-UGC-NET, etc.
With increasing demand, Physical Education is now an important department in almost all the major universities in India. Some top universities offering PhD Physical Education courses are listed in the table given below.
|NIRF University Ranking 2020||College Name||Location||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Salary|
|3||Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||Entrance Based||INR 6,386||INR 4,50,000|
|17||Aligarh Muslim University||Aligarh||Entrance Based||INR 9,285||INR 5,02,000|
|27||University of Mysore||Mysore||Entrance Based||INR 35,740||INR 3,84,000|
|37||Amity University||Noida||Entrance Based||INR 1,00,000||INR 4,50,000|
|55||Banasthali Vidyapith||Jaipur||Entrance Based||INR 1,63,500||INR 3,60,000|
The average annual fees for studying PhD Physical Education in India ranges between INR 10,000 to INR 1,50,000. The fees may vary depending on the type of college you choose.
Candidates with PhD Physical Education may find jobs as Sports Trainers, Gym Trainers, Sports Nutritionists, Professors, Physical Education Teachers in Schools and Colleges.
The average annual salary for PhD Physical Education candidates ranges between INR 3,50,000 to 5,00,000 per annum. Both Government and Private sector jobs are available for these candidates.
After completing PhD Physical Education, the candidates can do further individual research on selected fields and publish their research papers.
Know more: Top PhD Physical Education Colleges
What is the Admission Process for PhD Physical Education?
Most colleges and universities grant admission to PhD Physical Education courses on the basis of Entrance Exam scores.
- Some common entrance exams followed by most of the colleges are UGC-NET and UGC-CSIR-NET.
- Some of these entrance exams are conducted twice a year.
- The candidates will have to qualify the entrance exam with a score above the cutoff marks specified by the college.
How to apply for PhD Physical Education?
The detailed admission process for PhD Physical Education courses is discussed below in a stepwise manner.
- Step 1: Application Process: The candidates will have to apply for the entrance exams and colleges where they wish to get admission separately. The application must be properly checked before submission to ensure that it is error free. After submitting the form, take a print copy and keep it with yourself for future reference.
- Step 2: Entrance Exam: Most of these entrance exams are conducted online. The admit cards are released approximately 10 days prior to the entrance exam.
- Step 3: Merit List: After the declaration of Entrance Exam results, the colleges will prepare a merit list of shortlisted candidates who have scored above the prescribed cutoff marks.
- Step 4: Personal Interview: The shortlisted candidates will be called for a personal interview. The candidates will be asked questions on their research ideas during this interview.
- Step 5: Document Verification: The selected candidates will have to present appropriate documents to prove their eligibility.
Finally, the eligible candidates will be granted admission to the course.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for PhD Physical Education?
The Eligibility criteria for PhD Physical Education program are:
- Hold a Masters in Physical Education from a recognized university.
- Minimum 55% aggregate marks to be eligible for PhD Physical Education.
- Possess adequate Physical Education skills as they may be tested during Personal Interview.
- Candidates need to qualify the entrance exams such as UGC-NET, CSIR-UGC-NET, etc.
- Most colleges take a personal interview of the shortlisted candidates after the entrance exam for final selection.
What are the top PhD Physical Education Entrance Exams?
Most of the colleges admit students to PhD Physical Education courses on the basis of national level entrance exams like UGC-NET, UGC-CSIR-NET, etc. But some colleges like BHU, AMU, etc may conduct their own entrance exams. Some of the important entrance exams for PhD Physical Education courses are discussed below.
- UGC-NET: National Eligibility Test is a national level entrance exam conducted by NTA to select candidates for PhD courses and Junior Research Fellowships. It is conducted twice a year, once in December and the other in May-June. The fees required to register for the exam is INR 1000.
- BHU Research Entrance Test: This Entrance Exam is conducted by Banaras Hindu University for admission to various research based PhD courses offered by the university.
- AMU Entrance Exam: AMUEE is conducted by Aligarh Muslim University for admission to various courses offered by the University and its colleges.
Some important dates related to PhD Physical Education entrance exams are tabulated below.
|Exam Name||Conducting Body||Exam Mode||Last Date to Submit the Form||Exam Date|
|UGC-NET||NTA||Online||June 30, 2020||September 24, 2020 onwards|
|CSIR-UGC-NET||NTA||Online||June 30, 2020||November 2020 (expected)|
|AMUEE||Aligarh Muslim University||Online||August 21, 2020||November 1-10, 2020|
How to Prepare for PhD Physical Education Entrance Exams?
Some important points to keep in mind while preparing for PhD Physical Education Entrance Exams are as follows.
- The candidates must complete the entire syllabus well in advance, so that they can have at least 1-2 months time in hand for revision.
- The candidates must practice as many sample question papers as they can. This will help them to get habituated with the question pattern and types of questions asked.
- The candidates must also try to complete one question paper within a stipulated time, so that they can have an idea of the time period within which they need to write the exam.
- The candidates must maintain a score book of their daily practice, so that they can keep a track of their progress.
- The candidates must identify their weak areas and work on them properly.
Some important subjects from where questions are generally asked in the subject specific section are tabulated below.
|Philosophies of Physical Education||Bioenergetics and Injury Recovery|
|Physiology of Muscular Activity and Movement Mechanisms||Olympic Movements|
|Physiology of Respiration and Blood Circulation||Joints and their functions|
|Athletic Injuries||Postures and Postural Deformities|
|Biomechanics||Muscular Analysis of Motor Movement|
How to Get Admission in Top PhD Physical Education Colleges?
The candidates must keep in mind the following things to get admission in top PhD Physical Education colleges.
- The candidates must score well in the entrance exam if they wish to get admission in the top colleges offering PhD Physical Education.
- The cutoff marks of UGC-NET for PhD Physical Education in 2019 was 62.67%. The admission cutoff for top colleges generally ranges between 70-85%.
- The candidates must look to attempt at least 90% of the total question paper during the examination so that they can easily qualify the cutoff.
- The candidates must also have a clear understanding of their research proposal. They will be asked questions on their research proposal during the personal interview.
- The candidates must also have good knowledge of various physical education skills as they may be tested by the interview panel.
PhD Physical Education: What is it About?
PhD Physical Education involves advanced level research in all the aspects of Physical Education.
- The main aim of the course is to understand and discover new techniques involved in physical education, their advantages and disadvantages.
- It covers topics like training methods in different sports, Biomechanics, Sports Nutrition, etc.
- Along with the core Physical Education subjects, it also covers management related subjects like Sports Management, Technology and its applications in Physical Education, etc.
- The candidate will have to complete a coursework at the beginning of the course. It will train them on how to perform a good research and how to write an effective thesis.
- The candidates will have to select one topic on which they will conduct their research. The candidates will be trained on that topic in detail.
- After completion of the training, the candidates will have to perform an independent or assisted research on the basis of their research ideas.
- After completion of the research and submission of the thesis, the candidates will be granted the PhD degree in Physical Education.
PhD Physical Education Course Highlights
The major highlights of the PhD Physical Education course are tabulated in the table given below.
|Full-Form||Doctor of Philosophy in Physical Education|
|Examination type||Semester or Annual|
|Eligibility||Masters degree in Physical Education with minimum 55% aggregate marks|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based|
|Course Fee||INR 10,000 - 1,50,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3,50,000 - 5,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Gyms, Sports Centres, Schools, Colleges, Fitness Training Centres, Yoga Centres, Healthcare Clinics, etc.|
|Job Positions||Sports Trainers, Gym Trainers, Sports Nutritionists, Professors, Physical Education Teachers in Schools and Colleges.|
Why Study PhD Physical Education?
Physical Education is an important field with multiple applications. With growing awareness on health issues, the demand for Physical Education teachers and trainers are also increasing. Some of the major benefits of doing PhD in Physical Education are as follows:
- The candidates with PhD Physical Education can join the schools, colleges and universities as sports instructors, Yoga instructors and Physical Education Teachers.
- The average annual salary for PhD Physical Education candidates ranges between INR 3,50,000 - 5,00,000.
- Various gyms, fitness centres, health centres, etc hire Physical Education candidates for various positions.
- They can become Gym Instructors, Sports Nutritionists, Fitness trainers, Sports Managers, etc.
- The demand for Physical Education Trainers is expected to grow at a rate of 1-2% for the coming years.
- The candidates who complete a PhD in Physical Education can also start their own fitness centres and become self-independent.
Course Comparison: PhD Physical Education vs PhD Sports Management
PhD Sports Management deals only with the management related aspects of sports, while PhD Physical Education involves nutrition, Psychology, Physiology, values related to sports, along with sports management as well. The two courses are compared in the table given below.
|Parameters||PhD Physical Education||PhD Sports Management|
|Full-Form||Doctor of Philosophy in Physical Education||Doctor of Philosophy in Sports Management|
|Overview||This course deals with different aspects of Physical Education like Biomechanics, Athletic Injuries and Recovery, Sports Psychology, Technology in Physical Education, etc. It also deals with Sports Management and Sports Organisations.||PhD Sports Management concentrates only on the management aspects of the sports like organisations of sports tournaments, management of players in a sports team, promotion of sports events, etc.|
|Duration||3-5 years||3-5 years|
|Examination Type||Semester or Annual||Semester|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based||Entrance Based|
|Eligibility Criteria||Masters degree in Physical Education with minimum 55% marks||MBA or other equivalent degree in Sports Management with minimum 55% marks|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 10,000 - 1,50,000||INR 50,000 - 3,00,000|
|Major Recruiting Areas||Gyms, Sports Centres, Schools, Colleges, Fitness Training Centres, Yoga Centres, Healthcare Clinics, etc.||Sports Event Organising firms, Sports Teams, PR Agencies, etc.|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 3,50,000 - 5,00,000||INR 4,00,000 - 8,00,000|
PhD Physical Education Top Colleges
The top colleges offering PhD Physical Education are listed in the table given below along with fees, admission process and placement salary.
|NIRF University Ranking 2020||College Name||Location||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|3||Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||INR 6,386||INR 4,50,000|
|17||Aligarh Muslim University||Aligarh||INR 9,285||INR 5,02,000|
|27||University of Mysore||Mysore||INR 35,740||INR 3,84,000|
|37||Amity University||Noida||INR 1,00,000||INR 4,50,000|
|55||Banasthali Vidyapith||Jaipur||INR 1,63,500||INR 3,60,000|
|58||Pondicherry University||Pondicherry||INR 23,301||INR 3,00,000|
|78||Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||INR 81,200||INR 3,81,000|
|101-150||Annamalai University||Chidambaram||INR 25,010||INR 2,50,000|
|NA||Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya||Indore||INR 73,600||INR 2,00,000|
PhD Physical Education College Comparison
The top universities offering PhD Physical Education are compared in the table given below on the basis of parameters like ranking, fees and placement salary.
|Parameters||Banaras Hindu University||Aligarh Muslim University||Amity University|
|Overview||Banaras Hindu University or BHU is one of the Largest Residential Public Universities not only in India but in the entire East Asia. The University has around 140 departments, offering courses in almost every field including prominent fields like Medical, Engineering and Management. It is the only deemed university with an IIT within its campus.||Aligarh Muslim University or AMU is one of the most reputed Minority deemed Institutions in our country. It offers Undergraduate, Postgraduate and PhD level courses in multiple disciplines including Medical, Engineering and Management.||Amity University is one of the most reputed private deemed universities in India. With campuses across many major cities including Noida, Gurugram, Kolkata, Jaipur, Ranchi, Mumbai, among others, the university is known for providing top quality education in multiple disciplines like engineering, management, law, psychology, etc.|
|NIRF University Ranking 2020||3||17||37|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based||Entrance Based||Entrance Based|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 6,386||INR 9,285||INR 1,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4,50,000||INR 5,02,000||INR 4,50,000|
|Top Recruiters||IBM, ICICI, JP Morgan, Flipkart, Goldman Sachs, etc.||L&T, Bajaj, Voltas, Cummins, Saint Gobain, etc.||Oracle, Amazon, Cognizant, Capgemini, etc.|
PhD Physical Education Syllabus
PhD Physical Education course is divided into two parts, the first part is the compulsory coursework, while the second part is the research program.
- The coursework is mainly aimed for providing basic research knowledge to students.
- It generally includes subjects like Research Methodology, Thesis Writing, Survey Techniques, etc.
- The candidates must complete the coursework and pass the examination before starting with the research program.
- The candidates will also have to study the selected topic on which they will be doing research. They will have to complete a course on this topic along with the PhD Coursework.
PhD Physical Education Research Areas
Some of the important research topics available to PhD Physical Education candidates are tabulated below.
|Sports Training||This topic includes subjects like Latest Trends in Sports Training, Training Methods and Training Programmes.|
|Biomechanics||This is a vast topic which involves a detailed study of Biomechanics behind major sports activities like Track and Field Athletic Events, Jumping Events, etc. It also involves analysis of sports techniques and sports equipment.|
|Technology in Physical Education||This topic deals with the use of technology in the field of Physical Education, how Physical Education can be taught through E-Learning and what are the advantages and disadvantages of the same.|
|Sports Nutrition||This topic deals with the concepts of balanced diets, recommended diets, intake of water, eating disorders and their effects, etc.|
|Sports Management||This subject covers Principles of Sports Management, Facility Management, Equipment Management, Sports Event Management and its Promotions, etc.|
|Physical Fitness and Wellness||This course discusses different types of fitness activities, their effects, advantages and disadvantages.|
|Exercise Physiology||This course discusses the physiological effects of different exercises, it's effects and disadvantages on our body.|
|Yoga||This course includes the study of History and philosophy of yoga, effects of different asanas, yoga as medicine and yoga therapy.|
|Sports Psychology||This course involves the study of psychology of a sports person during sports events, team bonding, sports relationships, etc.|
PhD Physical Education Important Books
Some of the important books for PhD Physical Education along with their Authors name are listed in the table below.
|Book Name||Author Name|
|Science of Sports Training||H. Singh|
|The Biomechanics of Sports Training||J. Hay|
|Sports Nutrition for Sports and Performance||M. Manore and J. Thompson|
|The Organisation and Administration of Physical Education||E.F. Voltmer|
|Physical Fitness and Wellness||Greenberg, Dintiman, Oaks|
|Light on Yoga||B.K.S Iyengar|
|Psychology of Contemporary Sports||B.J. Cratty|
PhD Physical Education Jobs Profiles
The major job profiles and Salary Trends available to PhD Physical Education candidates are listed in the table given below.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Physical Education Teacher||Physical Education Teachers in Schools and Colleges instruct and train the students about various physical exercises, yoga, fitness activities, sports activities, games, etc.||INR 3,98,000|
|Sports Trainer||Sports trainers train their students about one major sport. They make the students understand the rules and regulations of the sport, and proper way of playing it.||INR 3,50,000|
|Gym Instructor||Gym instructors work as instructors and guides for the gym-goers. They also prescribe a specific set of exercises to the candidates depending on their needs.||INR 2,46,000|
|Yoga Instructor||Yoga instructors teach different types of asanas and make people aware of the benefits of yoga and asanas.||INR 3,20,000|
|Sports Nutritionist||Sports Nutritionists take care of the diet plans and other nutrition related matters of sportspersons and sports teams.||INR 4,50,000|
|Sports Psychologist||Sports Psychologists maintain a proper Psychological environment in a team, do regular counselling of the players, and help them absorb pressure and move on after failures.||INR 3,00,000|
|Sports Manager||Sports manager organises, manages, and promotes sports events and teams.||INR 5,00,000|
PhD Physical Education Future Scope
After completing PhD Physical Education, a candidate can either do a job, become independent by starting their own startups, or go for higher research.
- The candidates can start their own sport training centre, fitness training centre, yoga centre, or sports nutrition clinics.
- They can also work on an hourly pay basis as a gym trainer or a yoga instructor.
- The candidates can also go for higher research and conduct advanced level research on their selected field. They can also publish their own research papers.
- The candidates can also conduct research on other related fields and increase their knowledge on different areas of Physical Education.
PhD Physical Education FAQs
Ques. How do I select a research topic for PhD Physical Education?
Ques. Which are the best universities to study PhD Physical Education in India?
Ques. What is the average duration for completing a PhD Physical Education course?
Ques. Is a PhD in Physical Education costly?
Ques. How much does a Physical Education teacher earn in India?