CUSAT CAT Eligibility refers to the criteria that are essential to be considered before applying for Common Admission Test in Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT CAT). Candidates are advised to login to the official website and check the eligibility criteria in detail.
- For applying to B.Tech courses, candidates must have passed 10+2 from a recognized board.
- Candidates must have Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as subjects in 10+2 level.
- For graduation courses, candidates who have appeared for 10+2 exam are also eligible.
- The qualifying marks for SEBC candidates from the state of Kerala is 55% in aggregate and minimum 50% marks in Mathematics as well.
- An overall 50% mark in aggregate is required to apply for CUSAT CAT.
- For the rest, the qualifying mark is 60% in aggregate as well as Mathematics.
- Diploma or Vocational candidates are not eligible to appear for CUSAT CAT.
- The maximum age limit of candidate is 25 years as on September of the current year.
- Both Indian and foreign nationals will need to share the required documents.
- In case of applying based on state quota, domicile certificate is mandatory to produce during the final round of interview.
Detailed CUSAT CAT Eligibility criteria will be mentioned in CUSAT brochure. CUSAT CAT is conducted for admission in various courses. It is conducted on last week of April or first week of May.
CUSAT CAT 2018 Exam Dates
The below chart will give an idea about the potential CUSAT CAT examination dates. However, candidates are requested to check the official website for any change in the below dates:
|Beginning of online registration||February 8, 2018|
|Last date for online registration without fine||March 10, 2018|
|Last date for online registration with fine||March 13, 2018|
|Application fee submission||March 8, 2018|
|Online registration for international candidates||February 1, 2018 to April 30, 2018|
The online application form will be available on the official website www.cusat.nic.in. Candidates need to download the application form and save the same in pdf format. Candidates applying on the basis of GATE score need to share GATE score card on the email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eligibility as per Nationality
Candidates applying CUSAT CAT for admission in regular B.Tech or B.E courses, need to be of Indian origin. Also, candidates from Kerala, applying within state quota must submit domicile documents to confirm the same. For rest of the courses, foreign candidates can also apply. They will need to share NRI documents in order to apply for the same. Any Indian Citizen /Overseas Citizen of India /Person of Indian Origin is eligible to apply for NRI seats.
Number of attempts
Candidates can attempt CUSAT CAT more than once. The only thing that candidates need to focus on is eligibility criteria and specifically age limit in this case since it is reattempt.
Eligibility as per Age Limit
The age limit for various courses are mentioned below:
- For all undergraduate courses, candidates must be less than 19 years of age.
- For post graduate courses, candidates must be less than 22 years of age.
- For M.Phil and Phd courses, the age of candidates must be less than 28 years.
- For doctorate candidates age limit criteria is 45 years.
Eligibility as per Program Opted
|Undergraduate courses||The basic criterion for opting admission in any under graduate courses is 10+2 exam result. If candidate qualifies 10+2 with 50% marks in aggregate then he or she is eligible to apply for CUSAT CAT. The eligibility for 3 years LLB course is full-time graduation in any discipline.|
|Post-graduation courses||For post-graduation courses, candidates need to share the GATE score card to get 5% relaxation on the minimum percentage required for application.|
|BTech in Naval Architecture and ship building||Candidate must pass 10+2 with Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry as primary subjects. Candidates must secure minimum 60% marks in aggregate and 50% marks in Mathematics.|
|MPhil courses||A relaxation of 5% is given to SC/ ST category candidates. 50% of the total seats available will be reserved for college or university teachers and instructors. The teachers should have minimum 3 years of experience in order to apply for the same. In case of seat availability, candidates from general quota will also be allowed to apply.|
|PHD course||Aspiring candidate must hold full-time master’s degree in order to apply. The post-graduate degree must be obtained from a reputed University recognized at least within the country. A minimum of 55% marks or 6 CGPA in a scale of 10 is mandatory in order to apply for PHD course in Cochin University of science and technology. For SC/ ST candidates, the percentage required is 45%.|
|Post-doctoral fellowship||Candidates can also opt for post-doctoral fellowship programme by applying for CUSAT CAT. Minimum requirement is a recognized doctoral degree with minimum 2 years of research experience. The age limit is 45 years. Candidates will be given 25,000 INR per month for the research programme.|
CUSAT CAT follows certain reservation criterion. They are as described below:
- Seats are reserved under mandatory communal reservation quota. This kind of reservation is for candidates belonging to Kerala SC or ST and socially and economically backward classes.
- A portion of the seats are reserved under special reservation quota. This reservation is only applicable once a candidate appears for CUSAT CAT.
- 3% seats are reserved for physically challenged candidates with at least 40% disability. This reservation is applicable for all courses except marine and mechanical engineering courses.
- For blind person, reservation quota is kept only for MA in Hindi and LLM courses. For the rest of the courses, it is not applicable.
- A small percentage quota is reserved for experienced candidates who opt to complete their higher education.
- For part time MBA courses, 50% of the seats are allotted for working professionals who has on paper work experience of more than 3 years.
- For MPhil Programs, 50% of the seats are kept reserved for candidates who have at least 2 years of teaching experience.
- Reservation is kept for Lakshadweep candidates; this reservation comes in the form of sponsorship quota by Lakshadweep administration. Candidates will be selected basis the list sent by Lakshadweep administration.
- 2 seats are reserved for the MCA programme for candidates who have at least 3 years of experience in the relevant field sponsored by the government and research institute. Candidate must be below 30 years of age in order to avail it. It is mandatory for candidates to carry the sponsorship certificate. One out of five candidates are sponsored by Defense Research and Development Organization.
- 2 seats are reserved for environmental technology course for candidates with 5 years of experience in similar field and a sponsorship certificate from industrial and research organizations.
- 3 seats are kept reserved for the staff of Fisheries Development department for MSC in industrial fishery course. Before preparation of rank list, deserving candidates must ensure that they carry a sponsorship letter from Director of Fisheries department.
- 2 seats are reserved for candidates opting for oceanography course. Under this category, candidates can opt for open sponsorship.
- For M. Tech in Polymer Technology, 2 seats are reserved for candidates with minimum 3 years of experience in relevant field.
- Similarly for Atmospheric science, two seats are reserved.
- 5 seats are reserved for computer and information science and software engineering courses.
- 2 seats are reserved for statistical engineers appearing for CUSAT CAT.
- 1 seat is reserved each year for an Army officer to complete a full time MBA course. The recommendation for the same must come from the Army Headquarters.
- A sports quota reservation is also in place. One seat per course is allotted for sports quota.
- Seats are also reserved for candidates belonging to Jew community.
- 3 seats are reserved for specific programs for children of CUSAT staff.
- 1 seat is allotted for each program for children of ex-serviceman.
- 15 seats are allotted for naval candidates.
- 2 seats are reserved under supernumerary quota for Jammu and Kashmir candidates.
All the above reservation may change depending upon specific requirement in a year. The University authority will verify each supporting documents before acknowledging the reservation rights of the candidate.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College