HPCET 2018 Eligibility, Application Form, Exam Pattern
Himachal Pradesh Common Entrance Test (HPCET) is a state level exam conducted for admission of candidates to undergraduate engineering courses offered at various engineering and technology colleges of the Himachal Pradesh.
- HPCET is conducted once in a year by Himachal Pradesh Technical University (HPTU).
- There are 18 colleges that participate in HPCET 2018.
- The exam is going to be conducted in the second week of May, 2018.
- HPCET 2018 Application Form is likely to be made available from the first week March 2018.
- The last date for HPCET 2018 application form is first week of May 2018.
- HPCET 2018 will be conducted in offline (Pen & Paper based) mode only.
- The language of paper is English.
- There are total 150 multiple choice type questions that have to attempt in 180 minutes.
- There are three sections namely Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics, each containing 50 questions.
- Each question has a weightage of 2 marks and there is a negative marking of ¼ marks i.e. 0.25 marks will be deducted for a wrong answer.
- HPCET 2018 Result will be declared on May 27, 2018
HPCET 2018 Exam Highlights Table
|Date of Exam||First week of May 2018|
|Conducting Body||Himachal Pradesh Technical University (HPTU)|
|Mode of Exam||Offline (Pen-Paper Based)|
|Medium of Exam||English|
|Duration of Exam||3 Hours|
|Type and Number of Questions||150 MCQs|
|Sections||3 (Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics)|
|Courses Offered||B.Tech (10 Streams)|
HPCET 2018 Dates
Following table shows the important details regarding various events of exam. You can check all the dates of HPCET 2018 here:
|HPCET 2017 Application Form begins||March 3, 2018|
|Final Date for Submission of Application Form||May 04, 2018|
|Release of HPCET 2017 Admit Card||May 5, 2018|
|HPCET 2017 Exam||May 13, 2018|
|Release of Answer Key||May 13, 2018 (4:30 PM)|
|Result announcement||May 27, 2018|
|Counselling||June 1, 2018|
HPCET 2018 Eligibility
Eligibility Criteria for HPCET 2018 is a set of conditions required by HPTU in order to consider candidates eligible for appearing in the entrance test for admissions various engineering colleges of the state. All candidates must fulfil the eligibility criteria as per the norms of AICTE for appearing in HPCET 2018 before they start filling the online application form for the entrance exam.
- Candidates must have passed 10+2 or equivalent exam from a recognised board/university with at least 45% aggregate marks for general category candidates and at least 40% marks for reserved category candidates.
- Candidates need to have studied Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects in class 12th along with one of the Chemistry/Biotechnology/Biology/Technical Vocational subjects.
HPCET 2018 Application Form
HPCET 2018 Application Forms are made available in online mode only by HIMTU from first week of March. All candidates, applying for the exam must ensure that they fulfil the eligibility criteria of HPCET. They should fill the HPCET 2018 application form before the last date to apply which is May 04, 2018. Candidates are advised to read all the instructions in HPCET 2018 brochure before filling the online application. Now, they must visit the official website of HPTU. After that they have to click on ‘Apply Online’.
HPCET 2018 application procedure is a 5-step process. Following are all the steps described in detail:
Step 1: Create Account/Registration: Fill in the following registration details in the “Account Registration Form” that will open on your system:
- Confirm password
- Date of Birth
- Email address
- Mobile number
A system generated Application Form Number will appear on the computer screen. The User Name and Application Number will also be sent to the given email ID. All applicants must note or keep safe user name and password for future reference.
Step 2: Fill the Application Form: Click on “Login” button and enter your username, password and application number. Now enter the following details to fill application form:
- Name of the Candidate
- Father’s & Mother’s Name
- Aadhaar Card Number
- Programme Applied For
- Examination Centre
- Category & Sub-Category
- Qualifying Exam Details
- Permanent Address
- Correspondence Address
Now, click on “Save & Continue”
Step 3: Upload Photograph and Signature: During this step, candidates have to upload the scanned images of their photograph and signature. Click on browse and select your photograph and signature in the required dimension/size and format mentioned in the brochure. After you have attached the images, click on “Upload” button.
Step 4: Confirmation: The next stage of HPCET application form is confirmation. The filled in application form appears and the candidate has two options – Edit or Submit & Go for Payment. If you want to make any change in the application details, click on edit, otherwise go for payment.
Step 5: Make Fee Payment: After confirmation of the details filled in application form, the applicants will be automatically redirected to the page for fee payment. Two modes of payment will be available and the following links will appear:
- “Offline link to generate PNB Challan” or,
- “Online Fee Payment Link”
Select the mode of payment as per your convenience and make the payment to complete HPCET 2018 Application.
HPCET Application Fee
HPCET Application Fee payment mode is either through E-challan or through Net Banking/Credit Card/Debit Card. Following table shows application fee for all the categories:
HPCET 2018 Admit Card
HPCET 2018 Admit Card is made available online by HPTU, from first week of May 2018. HPCET Admit Card is an important document that candidates must download and take a printout to carry it to the exam centre. No candidate is permitted to enter the examination hall without the possession of a valid hall ticket.
Details on HPCET 2017 Admit Card:
- Name of the applicant
- Roll Number
- Father’s name
- Photograph of the candidate
- Address of the test centre
- Test date
Following are the steps to download the admit card:
- Candidates must click on the link on the official website of HPTU
- You must enter HPCET application No and Programme applied for
- Or Enter your name and programme
- The admit card for HPCET 2018 is displayed.
- Candidates must check the same and download it.
In case of any discrepancies, candidates must contact the HPTU. If photograph or signature is not displayed, candidates must affix their photograph and put their signature in the space provided in the admit card and get it attested by a gazetted officer.
HPCET 2018 Exam Center
HPCET 2018 Exam Centers are the venues where the state level engineering entrance test is conducted. HPCET is conducted across 16 cities and towns of Himachal Pradesh. Exam Centres are allotted on the basis of choices filled by candidate in HPCET application form.
|HPCET 2017Test Center||Code|
HPCET 2018 Exam Pattern
HPCET 2018 Exam Pattern provides details like what kind of questions are asked in the test, the marking scheme, total number of questions, sectional marks negative marking, etc. Candidates of HPCET 2018 must have knowledge about the exam pattern of the entrance exam well in advance, which helps in attempting and solving the question paper easily.
HPCET is conducted in offline mode and following are the other details of the HPCET 2018 exam pattern:
|Exam Pattern Highlights|
|Mode of Examination||Offline (Pen and Paper Based)|
|Number of Questions||150|
|Duration of Exam||180 Minutes|
|Sections in Paper||3|
Following table shows section wise marks distribution in HPCET
|S.No.||Subjects||Total Questions||Maximum Marks|
Read through to know more details.
- HPCET 2018 is of 3 hours duration
- There are 3 sections in exam and ach of the 3 sections is consists 50 questions.
- The test is conducted in English language only.
- Each correct answer will fetch 2 marks, while 1/4th marks will be deducted for each incorrect answer.
HPCET 2018 Syllabus
Syllabus of HPCET 2018 gives candidates clarity on the topics and units from where questions were asked in the question paper. HPCET syllabus includes units and topics from Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
|The laws of Motion Physics and Measurement Motions Rotation Work, Energy, and Power Theory of Gases Dynamics Properties of Solids and Liquids Oscillations and Waves Current Power The Dual Nature of Matter and Radiation Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Current The Current and the Magnetic Effects of Magnetism Electronic Equipment Electromagnetic Waves Communication Systems Atoms and Nuclei||Matters States Atomic Structure Redox reactions and electricity Chemical kinetics Chemical Thermodynamics Chemical bonding and molecular structure Surface Chemistry Periods of properties and classification of the elements Isolation of principles and methodology metals S, p, d & f – Block Elements Co – Ordination compounds Refined and depiction of organic compounds Environmental Chemistry Some of the basic principle of organic chemistry Oxygen-containing organic compounds Chemistry of Everyday Life Nitrogen-rich organic compounds Practical chemistry-related principles||Complex Numbers and quadratic equations Set Relations and functions Sequences & Series Determinants of matrices Permutations and Combinations Mathematical induction Binomial theorem and its common applications Differential equations Integral Calculus Limit, continuity, and Differentiability Three-dimensional geometry Statistics and probability Mathematical reasoning Coordinate geometry Vector algebra Vector Calculus Numerical Methods Linear algebra Partial differential equations Complex variables Ordinary differential equations Probability and Statistics|
HPCET 2018 Preparation Books
Following are some books that will be helpful in preparing for HPCET
|Name of the Book||Publisher/Author||ISBN|
|A Master Resource Book in MATHEMATICS||Prafull K Agarwal||978-9350948156|
|A Master Resource Book in PHYSICS||D B Singh||978-9350948064|
|A Master Resource Book in CHEMISTRY||Sanjay Sharma||978-9350948095|
HPCET 2018 Result
Result of HPCET 2018 will be declared on May 27, 2018. Candidates who have appeared for the entrance exam which was held in offline mode on May 13, 2018 can check HPCET 2018 Result by logging in on the official website. The result will be displayed with details of candidates along with the marks they have scored in each subject. Candidates are advised to download and print their HPCET 2018 result or score card after checking it.
Steps to download/view the scorecard:
- Click on HPCET 2018 Result link provided on official website
- Enter HPCET Roll No or Name of candidate
- Result of HPCET 2018 will be displayed.
Candidates must take the print and keep it safe for counselling and for future reference. HPTU will prepare a rank list for candidates who successfully qualify HPCET 2018. The merit list will be prepared on the basis of marks secured by the test takers. HPCET 2018 merit list will be available online as well as on the notice board of the university.
HPCET 2018 Answer Key
Answer Key of HPCET 2018 is made available on the same day of the exam. The answer key of HPCET 2018 will be published on May 13 at 4:30 PM. With the help of HPCET 2018 answer key, candidates can cross-check the responses they have marked against the questions in the test and figure out their probable score. If the test takers find any discrepancy in the official answer key of HPCET 2018, they can raise their complaints and write to the university at following address along with the supporting documents/solution pertaining to question papers/answer keys:
Controller of Examination,
H. P. Technical University,
Candidates must keep in mind that complaints against HPCET Answer Key 2018 must be sent on or before May 16, 2018.
HPCET 2018 Cut off
HPCET cut off 2018 is the minimum qualifying score that candidates need to secure in the test to get qualified for counselling process and seat allotment. HPTU will declare cut off of HPCET 2018 after the declaration of result. Only the successful candidates whose score is more than or equal to HPCET 2017 cut off will be given admission as per their rank obtained in HPCET 2018 exam.
Factors affecting the cut off:
Some of the factors that would be considered in deciding the cut off are:
- Number of candidates,
- Number of seats,
- Exam difficulty level,
- Candidate to seat ration,
- Reservation policies set by Government
- Last year admission trends.
HPCET 2018 Counselling
Online registration process for the counselling of HPCET 2018 will start on June 01 and this application form will be available till June 27, 2018. Candidates qualifying HPCET are eligible to appear in counselling session after completing the registration process. Candidates will be shortlisted for counselling based on the merit list prepared on the basis of scores obtained in HPCET or JEE Main depending upon the test they are applying through for seeking admission. HPTU will conduct the counselling for JEE Main qualified candidates from July 3, 2018 and for HPCET qualified candidates from July 8, 2018.
- First 50% seats in all the participating colleges will be allotted to JEE Main 2018 qualified candidates through the counselling, while the remaining seats will be offered to candidates who qualify HPCET 2018
- In case vacant seats are left even after the counselling for JEE Main 2018 and HPCET 2018, then the seats will be allotted to candidates on the basis of their merit in 10+2.
During the counselling, seats in engineering college of the states will be allotted to participating candidates as per their preference. To confirm their seats, candidates have to pay HPCET admission fee. Candidates have to pay the registration fee online via debit card/credit card/net banking. After completing the counselling process candidates have to appear for their allotted institutes for document verification.
Documents Required for HPCET Counselling:
Candidate must produce the following documents, in original, along with one set of photocopies duly attested at the time of counselling.
- Certificates of class XII and class X.
- Class XII and X mark sheets issued by the board/university.
- Date of birth certificate or matriculation/higher secondary/Indian school certificates showing the date of birth.
- JEE Main/HPCET score card.
- Character certificate from the head of institution last attended.
- Bonafide/domicile certificate issued by the concerned authority.
- Reserved category certificate issued by the competent authority, if applicable.
- Physically challenged certificate issued by the competent authority, if applicable.
- Income certificate issued by the competent authority, if applied under tuition fee waiver scheme.
- An affidavit attested by the Executive Magistrate if applied under Beti Hai Anmol Scheme.
- Kashmiri migrants and domicile certificate issued by competent authority, if applied under supernumerary Kashmiri migrant quota.
Counselling events table
|1||Registration Process for Counselling Starts from||June 1, 2018|
|2||Last Date for Filling Up Online Registration Form||June 27, 2018 (5 PM)|
|3||Final Date for Receipt of Hard Copy of Application Form through email||June 29, 2018 (5 PM)|
|4||Verification of Certificates||July 1, 2018 (10 AM)|
|5||First Round of Counselling for JEE Main 2018 Candidates||July 3 to July 7, 2018|
|6||First Round of Counselling for HPCET 2018 Candidates||July 10 to July 15, 2018|
|7||Second Round of Counselling for JEE Main 2018 Candidates||July 15 to July 20, 2018|
|8||Second Round of Counselling for JEE Main 2018 Candidates||July 20 to July 24, 2018|
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College