MS in Data Science in Ireland: A Complete Course Guide
Most universities provide a 1-year full-time course of Masters in Data Science in Ireland. Students with an engineering background or a bachelor's degree in science or mathematics are eligible for this program.
MS or Masters in Data Science is a comprehensive course covering areas of vision technology, intelligent systems, data science, and graphics. The program prepares students to be technologists in data-driven organizations of healthcare, IT, finance and transportation.
Why pursue Masters in Data Science in Ireland?
- Eight universities in Ireland make their place in THE Global 2020 rankings.
- Two-years of a post-study work visa after masters makes Ireland a perfect location for international students planning to start a career abroad.
- Ireland offers an opportunity to work in 28 EU countries during the work period. This helps the student get a global exposure to the industry.
- Getting a PR in Ireland is rather easy in comparison to other popular student destinations like the USA, Germany, and Australia.
- Most IT companies have their EU headquarters in Ireland making it easier to find job opportunities in Ireland.
- In terms of living quality, peace and equality, Ireland is considered among the top 20 safe countries of the world.
- More than 35,000 international students hailing from 161 countries study in Irish Universities.
- At present, Ireland has more than 20,000 jobs for students pursuing MS in Data Science.
- Irish government offers excellent scholarship offers for international students, institution-wise. Among them, the Centenary Scholarship program is the most popular one provided by Dublin Institute of technology.
- Employment rate is quite promising with 92%. As MS in Data Science is an industry-driven course, employability in this area in Ireland is the highest.
|Course||Masters in Data Science|
|Eligibility||Bachelor's degree preferably in engineering, science or commerce with scores more than 70%. 2-3 years of work experience is an added advantage.|
|Tuition fees||8,000 USD- 25,000 USD per year|
|Admission process||IELTS: 6.5,|
TOEFL (paper-based): 580 or (internet-based): 90,
GCSE English Language: Grade C,
|Job profile||Data scientist, Data Analyst, Big data analyst, Business Intelligence Analyst,|
|Entry-level package||55,444 USD- 88,710.40 USD|
Masters in Data Science in Ireland: Top Universities
As per the Times Higher Education, World rankings for 2020, here’s a list of the top universities in Ireland offering Masters in data science. Tabulated below is the list as per their global rankings, international student percentage, and program costs.
|Name of University||THE World Ranking||International Student percentage||Degree||Program Type & Duration||Program Fees|
|Trinity College Dublin||164||30%||MSc in Computer Science (Data Science strand)||Full time-1 year||25757.99|
|University College of Dublin||201-250||29%||MSc Data Analytics||Online, Part-time- 3 years||21321.59|
|National University of Ireland Galway||251-300||17%||MSc in Data Analytics||Full time, 1 year||To be revealed at time of admissions|
|Maynooth University||301-350||12%||MSc in Data Science and Analytics||1-year Conversion Course||16132.35|
|University College Cork||301||18%||MSc in Data Science and Analytics||Full time, 1 year||19358.82|
|Dublin City University||601||-||Masters in Computing (Data Analytics)||Full time (1 year)/ part-time (2 years)||7528|
|Technological University Dublin||801||-||MSc in Computing (Data analytics Major)||Full time, 1.5 years||To be revealed at time of admissions|
|Institute of Technology, Carlow||-||-||Master of Science in Data Science||Full time, 1 year||23391.91|
Masters in Data Science in Ireland: What is it About
Masters in Data Science in Ireland is a 1-year full-time course. Some universities like Trinity College Dublin offer MSc in Computer Science with Data Science as a concerned area of study.
Interchangeably, this Master's degree is also termed as MS in Data Analytics. It is a comprehensive program covering areas: machine learning, scalable computing, data visualisation, data analytics etc.
MS in Data Science in Ireland gives an intricate knowledge of gathering and storing data to create meaningful insights for a business to grow. Hence, the courseware is distributed in two or three semesters with an additional requirement of a dissertation.
The modules included in these best universities for MS in Data Science in Ireland:
Term-1: Machine Learning
Data Analytics, Scalable Computing, Research Methods and Innovation
Optimization Algorithms for Data Analysis, Security & Privacy, Data Visualisation, and Applied Statistical Modelling
Term-3 (April-August): Dissertation
Masters in Data Science in Ireland: Admissions
When planning to study abroad, international students must be familiar with certain important aspects of the admission process. The admission requirements for international students for MS in Data Science in Ireland are slightly different from domestic students. It is always suggested to international students to visit the official websites of the universities offering the program to be sure of all the details of the admissions.
The sections below will discuss the basic application process and requirements for international students who wish to study MS in data science in Ireland.
How to apply?
International students need to explore the courses and universities from which they want to select Masters in Data Science in Ireland. Apart from that, a detailed process is as follows:
- Choose course: applicants need to choose the course and university in which they want to study. Students can look for the university's prospectus to get the program details.
- Apply online: After selection, apply at the Postgraduate Application Centre before closing dates. There can be an application fee worth 50 euro (=54.52 USD).
- Collect Documents: Scanned copies of the required documents have to be uploaded on the PAC website for the application. Accessing PAC will give detailed information in this respect.
- Deadline for applications: The application process for international students remains open until early November every year.
- Applicants for Masters in Data Science in Ireland need to have a bachelor’s degree in engineering or mathematics.
- Non-EU students who are not native English speakers need to prove their English proficiency through tests required for studying in Ireland like IELTS, TOEFL, ARELS, PTE, etc. The details are provided as below:
|TOEFL (paper-based)/ (internet-based)||580/90|
|GCSE (General Certification of Secondary Education) English Language||Grade C|
|Cambridge Proficiency||Grade C|
|Cambridge Advanced||Grade C|
|ARELS (Association of English Language Schools)||Pass|
- Application form: Details of academic history, extra-curricular activities, and employment.
- Academic Transcripts: Records of recently passed out exams from the respective institutions.
- English proficiency proofs (TOEFL/IELTS): Test scores that relate whether the student is competent to speak in the English language.
- Degree certificates: Certificates of the examination passed by the candidate.
- A copy of the passport
- Two Letters of recommendation
Ireland Study Visa
As this Master’s program in Data Science in Ireland lasts for more than a year or so, students need to apply for a D-type Study Visa for Ireland.
- Students need to apply for a visa three months before the arrival date in Ireland.
- Apply from the official website of Naturalization and Immigration Service, Ireland.
- Visa acceptance rate for International students in Ireland is 99%.
- Applicants need to provide sufficient evidence of funds to support them during the period of study.
- Visa interviews are not mandatory for Ireland, however, at times Visa officials may request to attend interviews.
Masters in Data Science in Ireland: Cost of Study
Contrary to the popular belief that Ireland is an expensive country, this nation also provides cost-effective destinations for International students to live. Here’s a detailed record of all the costs associated with application till living while the study is ongoing.
For an international student, pre-arrival expenses are an important aspect as it determines which university to apply for and the city they can choose to live in. The following table shows the details:
|Type of expenses||Expenses (in USD)|
|Visa Application fees (One-time)||80|
|Application fee||Varies among Colleges|
The costs post reaching the study destination includes tuition fees for the program and cost of living in the country. Given below is a graphical representation of the comparison of overall expense an international student will face post reaching in Ireland while pursuing MS in data science.
Living cost in Ireland is comparatively higher than other European countries which are as follows:
|Type of expenses||Expenses (in USD)|
|Utilities and internet||120|
|Total Expenses||1433 USD|
These figures are average values that sum up the living cost of International students in Ireland. The total cost is around 1433 USD. However, it is variable depending on personal spending habits.
Masters in Data Science in Ireland with Scholarships
International students may have to spend a humongous amount of money for pursuing a masters degree in ireland. Though Ireland is cheaper than other popular study destinations, the cost of pursuing MS in data science in Ireland is more than what it may cost you in India.
In such cases, funding available to international students to study in Ireland are your best way out on cutting down the cost of studying the program. Some of the popular scholarships for international students offered by various universities are listed below:
|Centenary Scholarship Program||Dublin Institute of Technology||International students with first-class in honours||50% of the tuition fee of program|
|Max Arthur Macauliffe Special Merit Scholarship||National University of Ireland, Galway||Indian students' excellent records in academics||Complete fee waiver|
|Sir Peter Freyer Special Merit Scholarship||National University of Ireland, Galway||Selected Indian students||15,09 USD|
|Maynooth University Scholarships||Maynooth University||International students applying for postgraduate programs||1200-3,440 USD/academic year|
|UCD Scholarships||University College Dublin||International students applying for postgraduate programs||50% of tuition fees|
Masters in Data Science in Ireland: Scope
After completion of MS in data science in Ireland, students can seek jobs in different industries in Ireland. Postgraduates in this program are highly employable and the scope is briefly discussed as below:
Some of the top recruiters in Ireland from various sectors are as follows:
|Financial Services||Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Bank of Ireland, PWC|
|Specialist Software Development Houses||Apple, Cisco, CiTi tech, Turbine|
|Manufacturing Companies||Enterprise Ireland, IB|
|Telecom Companies||BT, Ericsson, Trend Micro|
Masters in Data Science in Ireland is the most sought-after course in this country. With a higher rate of employability and tech giants like Google, Amazon and Facebook housed in this country, data science graduates have no issues in seeking a job.
Additionally, being among the top 20 safe countries and giving umpteen importance to equality, Ireland is the ideal destination for international students. Seeking a permanent residence from the Irish Government can take place in 2 years.This makes MS in Data Science in Ireland not only a lucrative program but also your ticket you Ireland.