MS in Data Science in Ireland is a 1 – 1.5 years full-time program that teaches students how to extract meaningful information from a large amount of data. Duration of part-time course ranges from 2 to 3 years. It is offered as a specialization of computer science in most of the universities of Ireland.
- The average cost of studying at top universities in Ireland for MS in Data Science ranges between 8,000 USD- 25,000 USD per year.
- Students with an engineering background or a bachelor's degree in science or mathematics are eligible for pursuing Masters in Data Science from Ireland universities.
- A student with a data science degree in Ireland can earn up to 88,710 USD per annum.
Why Study MS in Data Science in Ireland?
Due to the explosion in the amount of data gathered from various online sources, organizations are looking for skilled data scientists and analysts to extract useful information from them. Thus, the demand for graduates having a data science degree is increasing among study abroad aspirants.
Following are some of the reasons why pursuing MS in Data Science in Ireland would be a good choice:
- According to the CIO Survey Report of 2019 by Harvey Nash/KPMG, big data/analytics and business analytics are among the top 5 most scarce skills in the world.
- Six universities in Ireland make their place in THE Global 2020 rankings and all of them offer Masters in Data Science.
- Two-years of a post-study work visa after masters from Ireland universities makes it a perfect location for international students planning to start a career abroad.
- Ireland offers an opportunity to work in 28 EU countries during the study period. This helps the student get global exposure to the industry.
- In terms of living quality, peace and equality, Ireland is considered among the top 20 safe countries of the world.
- At present, Ireland has more than 20,000 jobs for students pursuing MS in Data Science.
- The employment rate is quite promising with 92%. As MS in Data Science is an industry-driven course, employability in this sector is the highest.
Top Universities offering MS in Data Science in Ireland
As per the Times Higher Education world rankings for 2020, here’s a list of the top universities in Ireland for MS in data science along with their program fees and duration:
|THE Ranking 2020||University||Program Offered||Duration||Program Fees (in USD)|
|164||Trinity College Dublin||MS in Computer Science (Data Science strand)||Full time: 1 year||25,758|
|201 – 250||University College of Dublin||MS Data Analytics (Online – Part-time)||Online, Part-time: 3 years||21,322|
|251 – 300||National University of Ireland Galway||MS in Computer Science (Data Analytics)||Full time: 1 year||23,499|
|301 – 350||Maynooth University||MS in Data Science and Analytics||Conversion Course: 1 year||16,132|
|301||University College Cork||MS in Data Science and Analytics||Full time: 1 year||19,359|
|601||Dublin City University||Masters in Computing (Data Analytics)||Full time: 1 year: Part-time: 2 years||7,528|
|801||Technological University Dublin||MSc in Computing (Data analytics Major)||Full time: 1.5 years||23,638|
|-||Institute of Technology, Carlow||Master of Science in Data Science||Full time: 1 year||23,392|
Course Details of MS in Data Science in Ireland
Masters in Data Science is a comprehensive course covering areas of vision technology, intelligent systems, data science, and graphics. The program prepares students to be technologists in data-driven organizations of healthcare, IT, finance and transportation.
MS in Data Science in Ireland gives an intricate knowledge of gathering and storing data to create meaningful insights for a business to grow. Hence, the course curriculum is distributed in two or three semesters with an additional requirement of a dissertation.
The modules that you have to study in Ireland are:
Term-1 (Machine Learning): Data Analytics, Scalable Computing, Research Methods and Innovation
Term-2 (Jan-March): Optimization Algorithms for Data Analysis, Security & Privacy, Data Visualisation, and Applied Statistical Modelling
Term-3 (April-August): Dissertation
MS in Data Science in Ireland: Highlights
|Eligibility||Bachelor's degree preferably in engineering, science or commerce with scores more than 60%;|
|Tuition fees||8,000 USD- 25,000 USD per year|
|Admission process||IELTS: 6.5;
TOEFL (paper-based): 580 or (internet-based): 90
|Job profile||Data Scientist, Data Analyst, Big Data Analyst, Business Intelligence Analyst,|
|Entry-level package||55,444 USD - 88,710 USD per year|
Admission Process of MS in Data Science in Ireland
The admission requirements for international students applying to Ireland universities for MS in Data Science are slightly different from domestic students. It is always suggested to visit the official websites of the universities offering the program to be sure of all the details of the admissions.
The sections below will discuss the basic application process and requirements for international students who wish to study MS in data science in Ireland.
How to apply for MS in Data Science in Ireland?
The detailed process for submitting application successfully is as follows:
- Choose a course: Applicants need to choose the course and university in which they want to study.
- Apply online: After selection, apply at the Postgraduate Application Centre before closing dates. There can be an application fee worth 55 USD.
- Collect Documents: Scanned copies of the required documents have to be uploaded on the PAC website along with the application
- Deadline for applications: The application process for international students remains open until early November every year.
Academic Requirements for MS in Data Science in Ireland
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or mathematics
- Minimum 60% at the undergraduate level.
- Mathematical and statistical problem-solving skills
- Proof of English Proficiency
Documents Required for MS in Data Science in Ireland Admission
- Application form: Details of academic history, extra-curricular activities, and employment.
- Academic Transcripts: Records of recently passed out exams from the respective institutions.
- English proficiency proofs (TOEFL/IELTS): Test scores that relate whether the student is competent to speak in the English language.
- Degree certificates: Certificates of the examination passed by the candidate.
- A copy of the passport
- Two Letters of recommendation
English Proficiency Requirement for International Students
Non-EU students who are not native English speakers need to prove their English proficiency by submitting scores like IELTS, TOEFL, etc. Minimum score requirement for admission in top universities of Ireland is tabulated below:
Visa Process for International Students
As this MS in Data Science lasts for more than a year or so, students need to apply for a D-type study visa of Ireland.
- Apply for a visa at least three months before the arrival date in Ireland.
- Apply from the official website of Naturalization and Immigration Service of Ireland.
- Visa acceptance rate for International students in Ireland is 99%.
- Applicants need to provide sufficient evidence of funds to support them during the period of study.
- Visa interviews are not mandatory for Ireland. However, at times, visa officials may request for it.
Cost of Studying MS in Data Science in Ireland
Contrary to the popular belief that Ireland is an expensive country, this nation also proves to be a cost-effective destination for International students. Here’s a detailed record of all the costs from submitting application till living while the study is ongoing.
Pre-arrival expenses include one-time costs such as visa application fees, registration fees of tests required to study in Ireland, university application fee, etc. The following table provides a brief summary of the same:
|Type of expenses||Expenses (in USD)|
|Visa Application fees (One-time)||80|
|Application fee||55 (approx)|
Tuition Fees of MS in Data Science in Ireland
The costs post reaching the study destination includes tuition fees for the program and the cost of living in the country. Given below is a graphical representation of the comparison of overall expense an international student will face post reaching in Ireland while pursuing MS in data science.
Cost of Living in Ireland
Cost of living in Ireland is comparatively higher than in other European countries. Tabulated below are the outline of such expenses:
|Type of expenses||Monthly Expenses (in USD)|
|Utilities and internet||120|
|Total Expenses (approx)||1433|
Scholarships for MS in Data Science in Ireland
Though Ireland is cheaper than other popular study destinations, the cost of pursuing MS in data science in Ireland is more than what it may cost you in India. In such cases, funding is available for cutting down the cost of study and living.
Some of the popular scholarships for international students in Ireland offered by various universities are listed below:
|Centenary Scholarship Program||Dublin Institute of Technology||International students with first-class in honours||50% of the tuition fee of the program|
|Max Arthur Macauliffe Special Merit Scholarship||National University of Ireland, Galway||Indian students' excellent records in academics||Complete fee waiver|
|Sir Peter Freyer Special Merit Scholarship||National University of Ireland, Galway||Selected Indian students||15,09 USD|
|Maynooth University Scholarships||Maynooth University||International students applying for postgraduate programs||1200-3,440 USD/academic year|
|UCD Scholarships||University College Dublin||International students applying for postgraduate programs||50% of tuition fees|
For more scholarships in Ireland, click here.
Scope of MS in Data Science in Ireland
After completion of MS in data science in Ireland, students can seek jobs in different industries.
Some of the top available jobs in Ireland for MS in Data Science graduates are as follows:
|Financial Services||Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Bank of Ireland, PWC|
|Specialist Software Development Houses||Apple, Cisco, Citi tech, Turbine|
|Manufacturing Companies||Enterprise Ireland, IB|
|Telecom Companies||BT, Ericsson, Trend Micro|
Masters in Data Science in Ireland is the most sought-after course in this country. With a higher rate of employability and tech giants like Google, Amazon and Facebook housed in this country, data science graduates have no issues in seeking a job.
Additionally, being among the top 20 safe countries and giving umpteen importance to equality, Ireland is the ideal destination for international students. Seeking a permanent residence from the Irish Government can take place in 2 years. This makes MS in Data Science in Ireland not only a lucrative program but also your ticket you Ireland.
Ques. Which university is best for MS in Data Science in Ireland?
Ans. Some of the top universities in Ireland for MS in Data Science are Trinity College Dublin, University College Dublin, Maynooth University, University Cork College, etc.
Ques. Is Ireland good for MS in Data Science?
Ans. According to THE World Ranking of 2020, eight universities offering MS in Data Science in Ireland rank among the top universities of the world. Also, you can earn up to 55,444 USD- 88,710 USD per year by paying an average tuition fee of 8,000 USD- 25,000 USD per year.
Ques. How can I become a data scientist in Ireland?
Ans. To become a data scientist in Ireland, you are required to have a degree in data science or analysis. Mathematical and statistical problem-solving skills are must for those who want a career in this field.
Ques. What can I do with a masters in data science in Ireland?
Ans. You can work as a data scientist, data analyst and business intelligence analyst after completion of MS in Data Science in Ireland.