George Brown College: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Located in downtown Toronto, Canada, George Brown College was established in 1967. The college offers a wide variety of part-time and full-time programs to all its students. It is one of the top research colleges in Canada, according to Research Info source annual rankings. George Brown College has a partnership with the University of Toronto and receives around 60 million USD for research every year. With over 32,000 students (with 3,553 international students from 95 countries), the college disbursed around 50 million USD to its students.
The college offers certificates, diplomas, undergraduate and graduate degrees and the main popular academic fields are Early childhood leadership, Art and design, Business management, Community services, Construction and Engineering Technologies, Health Sciences, Hospitality, and Culinary Arts, Nursing, Finance, and Preparatory studies. There are around over 160 George Brown College courses and over 193 areas in continuing education available to international applicants.
Top George Brown College Courses
|Programs||Fees Per Annum||Application Starts|
|B.Tech Construction Management||$13,642||Dec 14’ 20|
|Bachelor of Behaviour Analysis||$13,642||Dec 14’ 20|
|B.Com Financial Services||$13,642||April 5|
|B.B.A Hospitality||$13,642||Dec 14’ 20|
|Bachelor of Digital Experience Design||$13,642||Dec 14’ 20|
|Advanced Diploma in Business Administration||$11,392||Dec 14’ 20|
|Advanced Diploma in Computer Programmer Analyst||$11,392||Dec 14’ 20|
|Advanced Diploma in Graphic Design||$11,392||Dec 14’ 20|
|P.G Certificate in Entrepreneurship Management||$11,610||Dec 14’ 20|
|Certificate in Marketing Management - Financial Services||$11,392||Dec 14’ 20|
|Diploma in Tourism and Hospitality Management||$11,392||March 31|
|Diploma in Architectural Technician||$10,747||March 31|
|Diploma in Business||$11,392||March 31|
|Advanced Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology||$11,392||March 31|
|Advanced Diploma in Business Administration – Project Management||$11,392||March 31|
George Brown College offers more than 162 programs further divided into undergraduate, graduate, postgraduate, certificate, and diploma programs. Given below are the number of courses offered at a different level.
- The college offers courses through its Center for Arts, Design & information technology, Business, Community Services & Early childhood, Construction & engineering technologies, Health Sciences, Hospitality & Culinary Arts, and Preparatory & Liberal studies.
- The schools of Computer technology, Design, English as a second language, Fashion, and Jewelry, Immigrant & transitional education, Liberal arts & sciences, Media & performing arts, and Work & college preparation come under the Center of Arts, design, and Technology.
- The Center for Business has schools of Accounting and Finance, Human Resources, Management, and Marketing. The College has structured its programs through its centers in an orderly manner.
|Type of College||Public|
|Location||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Number of Campuses||3 + 3 (location/centers)|
|Type of programs||Certifications, Diploma, Degree, and Continuing Education|
|Number of full-time students||32,000 +|
|Number of part-time students||3,000 +|
|%age of International Students||17%|
George Brown College Campus
George Brown’s three campuses and three on-site locations/centers are easily accessible by private and public transport and are surrounded by bike lanes as part of Toronto’s cycling network. The three campuses are St. James Campus, Casa Loma Campus, and Waterfront Campus.
- Apart from this The Sally Horse fall Eaton Centre for Studies in Community Health at Ryerson University hosts early childhood courses of the college, Sunnybrook Centre for Independent Living is used for Prosthetic & Orthotic Programs.
- This is not all the Young Centre for the Performing Arts at Distillery district, is the School of Media & Performing Arts of the college and Fashion Exchange, Regent Park is the School of Fashion & Jewellery located at different locations than the three campuses.
- The main campus at Casa Loma has administrative offices, Classrooms, theater, cafeteria, Library, Gym, and student services amongst others.
- The St James campus holds the center for Business, Arts design and Information technology, Hospitality, and Culinary Arts, Center for preparatory and liberal studies, and some continuing education classrooms.
- The Daphne Cockwell Centre for Health Sciences at Waterfront Campus hosts the school of Dental Health, Health Services Management, Nursing, and School of design with some other courses.
The college does not have any on-campus residence facilities for its students, however, it has partnered with various companies and private residence halls to provide students with fully-furnished dorms, bedrooms, and apartments with all necessary facilities.
- The residential building known as ‘the George’ is located in the downtown of Toronto in the middle of café, shops, malls, and restaurants.
- Located at 80 Cooperage Street of Toronto, it has a public transport distance of 40 min from the main college campus and is within walking distance from St James Campus.
- The fully furnished suites with two-bedroom accommodation have attached bathrooms, a kitchenette facility, Internet and cable TV connections, and biweekly cleaning services.
- The accommodation costs around 10,100 CAD for a year.
- The college has Off-campus for locating off-campus accommodation for the students.
Admission Application to George Brown College
George Brown College’s admission process is simple and easy for international applicants. Applicants must ensure to select the program they want to apply to and check the eligibility criteria as per their country before starting the application process.
Intake is done for Fall(September) and Winter(January) sessions, international applicants must select the program and apply for it at least six months before due to the fast filling of the programs.
Where to Apply: Online Application for International Students
Application Fee: 72 USD
All the international students whose first language is not English need to attempt and clear the ELP (English Language Proficiency) test to study in Canada before applying to GBC. Given below are the minimum scores for the students to get their application accepted by the college
|Exam||Scores for Degree Programs|
- Application Form
- Academic Transcripts
- English Language Proficiency score
- Statement of purpose
- Passport Copy ID pages
- Letter of Acceptance
- Copy of Passport
COVID-19 Admission Updates
- Fall 2020 semester will be conveyed predominantly in an alternative and remote arrangement. Classes for the winter 2021 term (beginning from January 11, 2021), will be conveyed completely or partially in-person.
- The timing of certain program parts may shift contingent upon rules from public health officials. OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Program) applications for 2020-21 are currently open. You can visit ontario.ca/osap for more information and submit your application.
- In recognition of the financial pressures brought about by COVID-19, the college has decreased the minimum tuition deposit fee for the 2020 fall semester by 50 percent. However, this reduced deposit fee does not affect your tuition amount.
The admission and document requirements are based on the country and credential type. Students are advised to visit the website and find out the suitable requirements accordingly.
George Brown College Fees
International students will have to make sure that they have enough funds to support their cost of living in Canada. Students have to pay for tuition and other academic fees, residence fees, meal plan. Students will have to take care of their personal expenses as well.
The tuition fee charged by George Brown College varies from course to course and according to the duration of the course. Therefore, given below is the general range of fees for Canadians or International students
|Fees Type||Cost (USD)|
|Diploma and Certificate Courses||10,800 (Two-semester fees)
16,313 (Three-semester fees)
|Graduate Certificate/PG Certificate||11,080 (Two-semester fees)|
Although rents may vary depending on quality and location, most rents listed by the Housing Service are within the following ranges:
|Shared Accommodation||500 - 700 USD per month|
|One-Bedroom Apartment||900 - 1,200 USD per month|
|Two-Bedroom Apartment||1,100 - 1,500 USD per month|
|Three-Bedroom Apartment||1,300 - 1,800 USD per month|
The college provides three types of meal plan options for its students, the details of which are mentioned below:
|Annual Swipe & Save Plan||1700 USD|
|Semester Swipe & Save Plan||850 USD|
|Swipe & Save Reloadable Card||400 USD|
George Brown College Scholarships
George Brown College provides financial support to the students for their excellence and also to those who are in need of assistance. The college has many scholarships, bursaries, and awards for its students.
OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Program): The college along with the OSAP aids students in financial need through loans(need to pay back) or grants (need not payback). In some cases, if students show unmet needs, this program also provides them with non-repayable bursary funding.
Awards, Scholarships & Bursaries
The college identifies students who demonstrate excellence in the field of academics and sports. These aids provide support to the students in monetary terms. The college also provides emergency funding in cases where the student is suffering from sudden financial losses.
The students must apply for these scholarships and they must be enrolled in a full-time program to be eligible. Here are the types of scholarships provided by the college College-wide Scholarships, Student Association Awards & Scholarships, and Athletic Awards.
- The diploma and degree students are eligible to get 14 scholarships valued at 5,000 CAD and 17 valued at 1,000 CAD in Fall and 6 scholarships valued at 5,000 CAD and 9 at 1,000 CAD for the winter semester.
- A separate application is to be submitted and the students must have completed two consecutive semesters with a minimum GPA of 3.5 at the college earlier to the application
- There are 34 Scholarships of 2,000 CAD each available for certificate students for that a separate application is required and eligibility criteria is to be met.
- There are externally funded scholarships like the Kimokran scholarship of 1,000 CAD awarded on the basis of academic performance, Assist-on merit scholarship of the same value, and the Woori Education scholarship of 2,000 CAD also given to international students on the basis of academic excellence.
Work While You Study
International students at George Brown College can work part-time during the duration of their course. They can work either on-campus or off-campus under the Work-Study Program in Canada.
On-Campus: Students can work on campus while studying at the institute for a maximum of 20 hours/ week during the school year and full time during school holidays. They will have to fulfill the following conditions.
- Study full time in a program
- Have a valid study permit to study in Canada
- Have a SIN (Social Insurance Number)
Off-Campus: Students can also work off-campus while studying at the institute. They will have to fulfill all the conditions mentioned plus they must already be studying to obtain a degree, diploma, or certificate with a duration of at least 6 months still left.
The alumni network of George Brown graduates is more than 225,000 strong and growing every year. The alumni are provided with several on-campus and off-campus benefits. They are also provided with special rates for the services like Home & Auto Insurance and Life & Health Insurance.
Given below are few world-famous alumni of the George Brown college:
|Daniel Machover||Canadian actor, playwright, theatre director, and film director|
|Wendy Babcock||Canadian activist for the rights of sex workers|
|Rob Rainford||Canadian chef, author of Rob Rainford's Born to Grill and former host of Licence to Grill on Food Network Canada,
Asian Food Channel across Asia and Discovery Home in the U.S.
|Valerie Buhagiar||Maltese-Canadian actress, film director, and television host|
|Giselle Loren Lazzarato||Canadian YouTuber, socialite, actress, and glamour model, and television personality|
The campuses are currently closed due to COVID-19, there are plenty of strong online courses and academic support. The College is committed to delivering real-world experiences. Many graduates have successfully completed virtual work placements with employers across the country.
George Brown College Placements
The highest-paid graduates were offered roles in Human Resource, Sales, and Business Development Sectors. The average pay scale offered to graduates with a degree/certification from George Brown College is around 45,000 USD a year. Salaries in HR sector were around 48,000 USD and in Sales & BD sector were around 46,000 USD a year. The college offers assistance through a career coach, who guides students on future path by providing them resume building services, career assessment, and search for jobs in Canada.
FIND A PROGRAM
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
The college was suggested to me by one of my faculties when I was in my high school. I immediately applied to the university after giving my final exams through an online application form and paid an application fee of $70 for the same to get admission.
Course Curriculum :
I love the program deeply. The course lets us understand the application of innovations in the construction industry. The program also offers the in-depth skills required to succeed and have a promising future in this area.
I had researched about lot of universities but this I had many nice reviews about this particular university. I had applied online on the college website by paying $70 as an application fee. They even checked my high school score of 9.1 GPA while taking my admission.
Course Curriculum :
To be honest the course curriculum offered here in my major is pretty amazing along with the decent amount of workload was given to students as well. Academics over here was also fantastic and I am totally satisfied with it. All subjects were covered very nicely in very conceptualize way.
George Brown College provides a blend of theory and hands-on experience, which encouraged me to apply for this. They prioritize real-world learning and provide students with opportunities to work alongside industry professionals in applied research and field education opportunities. After securing a GPA of 7, I had to submit a common form for $95.
Course Curriculum :
With more and more businesses putting their data into the cloud, the ability to ensure confidentiality, integrity, and availability of digital assets has become paramount to their success and survival. The cybersecurity professional plays a vital role in the protection of business assets in all areas of the economy. In order to keep pace with the rapid advancement in technology and trends, the cybersecurity professional of today must be proficient in traditional networking technologies.
The college practies experiential learning, which is an umbrella term used to cover all of the opportunities available to us to take part in sector-specific learning experiences. These opportunities can take place in a variety of settings including workplaces, simulation facilities, labs, shops, and studios in both the educational, workplace and practice environments. My GPA was 8, and I was required to submit an online form. The application fee was $95.
Course Curriculum :
George Brown puts us at the center of the culinary industry in Canada. Develop the knowledge and techniques necessary to succeed as a chef, cook or culinary manager in our two-year Culinary Management diploma program. Demonstrations, lectures, and experiential learning will teach us the fundamental skills we need for a successful career in today’s leading restaurants and all areas of the culinary industry.
Main factor in choosing GBC was the program included specialization in the field I wish to work in future. No other college provided that. Another factor was the professors are top-class. Most of them are industry professionals and teach industry techniques. Lastly, the college is in Toronto and has world class facilities and campus.
Course Curriculum :
The curriculum includes everything necessary to get in the industry. The course is also revised every few years with the help of industry professionals which reduces the gap between educational institute and work place. Professors are polite, well-learned and approachable. We also have an opportunity to participate in competitions held for students by Video game companies. The exposure to industry is high. Practical knowledge is the only thing we are given here. We don't have theoretical, written exams. We are supposed to work directly on software and are supposed to submit the work files to get reviewed and marked.
- Bus Station
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary