Georgian College: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Georgian College, the first Canadian institute to be honoured as an Ashoka Changemaker College, was established in the year 1967. Ranked as #1st for international student satisfaction rate among the top colleges of Ontario, it is presently one of the most sought-after higher education institutes in Canada.
Considered as Ontario’s best co-op college, the institute offers a transformative experience by letting its students experience real-world opportunities within the boundaries of their classroom. With all its programs designed on the root of practicality, it enrols more than 5,000 students every year. The fact that almost 90% of its graduates were employed within 6 months after graduation reflects that it is more than just a postsecondary institution in Canada.
Georgia College offers admission to its various programs in the three intakes of January, May and September. While its courses in Nursing, Data Analytics, Paramedics, Electrical Engineering and Culinary Management get ticked off as some of the exceptional programs it offers, the college also has some very unique and exciting options available for its aspirants.
Its exclusive courses like Marine Engineering, Acupuncture, Gallery Operations are literally the limelight of its programs-list. The college, in fact, is home to the Automotive Business School of Canada, the only one of its kind in the country offering a top-notch program in the automotive business.
|Programs||Tuition Fees Per Annum||Deadlines|
|B.Sc Computer Science||$18,750||Fall: February 1|
|B.B.A. Management and Leadership||$12,487||Fall: February 1|
|Bachelors in Interior Design||$12,487||Fall: February 1|
|Bachelor of Science in Nursing||$12,487||Fall: February 1|
|B.B.A Automotive Management||$12,487||Fall: February 1|
|Diploma in Architectural Technician||$10,305||Fall: February 1|
|Advanced Diploma in Architectural Technology||$10,305||Fall: February 1|
|Diploma in Automotive Business||$10,305||Fall: February 1|
|Advanced Diploma Aviation Management||$10,305||Fall: February 1|
|Diploma in Biotechnology - Health||$10,305||Fall: February 1|
|Diploma in Business||$10,305||Fall: February 1|
|Diploma in Business - Accounting||$10,305||Fall: February 1|
|Diploma Business - Entrepreneurship||$10,305||Fall: February 1|
|Diploma Business - Marketing||$10,305||Fall: February 1|
|Advanced Diploma Business Administration||$10,305||Fall: February 1|
|Rank||98th in Canada|
|No. of Campuses||7|
|Employment rate||Around 90%|
|Application Fee||75 USD|
|International Students||Over 1,600|
|English Language Proficiency Tests||TOEFL/IELTS or equivalent|
|Financial Aid for International Students||562,500 USD as Scholarships and Awards|
- Webometrics has ranked the college at # 1594 in the continental ranking, at # 6658 in the world rankings, and at # 92 in the country rankings.
- ISB survey ranked the college at #1 in institutions of Ontario and at # 2 in the country.
Georgian College offers a platter of diverse programs available as full-time, part-time and preparation courses. The courses are taught in English and Bilingual language. Level of study and field of study are shown below
|Program||Areas of study|
|Part-time program||Corporate training
Life and Leisure courses
Professional Development courses
|Preparation program||Academic and career preparation
English Language Studies
- The college offers certificates, diplomas, undergraduate and graduate degrees through over 130 programs and the main popular academic fields are Automotive Business, Business and Management, Community Safety, Computer Studies, Design, and Visual Arts, Engineering and Environmental Technologies, Health, Wellness, and Sciences, Hospitality, Tourism, Indigenous Studies, Liberal Arts and Marine Studies to name a few.
- The college also offers combined degree-diploma programs with Lakehead University. The average size of a class is 26 students.
- The co-op program providing experiential training in skill-enhancing courses is one of the USPs of the college.
- The college collaborates with industry for providing these training to the students also enabling its students to be absorbed by the industry.
- The university offers on-campus and online study too.
- On the basis of fields of studies, the available programs can be divided into 13 broad categories namely, Automative Business; Business and Management; Community Safety; Computer Studies; Design & Visual Arts; Engineering & Environmental Technologies; Health, Wellness & Sciences; Hospitality, Tourism & Recreation; Human Services; Indigenous Studies; Liberal Arts; Marine Studies and Skilled Trades.
- Spread in 21,000 square kilometres, the Georgian College has 7 campuses at Barrie downtown Barrie location (Arch and Helen Brown Design and Digital Arts Centre), Midland, Muskoka (Bracebridge), Orangeville, Orillia, Owen Sound, and South Georgian Bay (Collingwood).
- The main campus is the biggest amongst all has a Georgian Store, houses Henry Bernick Entrepreneurship Centre (HBEC), Indigenous Resource Centre, a library, Student residences, an Advanced Technology Centre, a theatre, sports facilities, study lounges, videoconferencing classrooms, Café, and eateries.
- The Midland campus has classrooms, Labs, a Cafeteria, Business and Career Services, an Indigenous Resource Centre, a Library, Recreational Boating Centre of Excellence, and research facilities.
- The Muskoka campus has a large carpentry shop, learning spaces, paint and finishing room, Nursing simulation lab, Computer labs, Multimedia classrooms amongst other facilities. The Orangeville campus also has academic and administrative facilities.
- Orillia and Owen Sound are the campuses that along with all the college services offer residences to students.
- The main campus at Barrie provides accommodation to 524 in an eight-storey building in which all the exits are secured with electronic keys. The twin sharing accommodations in suites where every student has an individual bedroom are fully furnished, have laundry and internet facilities, and gives students an advantage to access college facilities at a stone’s throw distance.
- The accommodation at the campus costs around 14,000 CAD annually.
- Orillia campus residences house 192 students and Owen house campus town housing style accommodation house 62 students in the fully furnished accommodations.
- The college has made arrangements of meal plans through catering services wherever the dining by campus as not established.
- The college has partnered with places4students to facilitate off-campus housing for the students.
Georgian College provides multiple housing options to students ranging from on-campus residences to off-campus apartments and houses available on rent or for sharing. Following is the detailed information regarding different housing facilities:
On-campus residences are offered at three campuses such as Barrie, Orillia, and Owen Sound. Barrie campus has two-bedroom suites whereas Orillia Campus and Owen Sound Campus has four-bedroom suites. All the residencies come with basic facilities like and are fully furnished.
The best features about opting for on-campus alternative includes:
- No forced 12-month lease, pay only for an academic year which is 8 months.
- All the basic amenities like labs, library, and others at a walking distance.
- No nosy or troublesome roommates are unwilling to pay their dues on time.
While some students would prefer the easy-breezy route to things, there are others who are independent, free-spirited who treasure their privacy and adventure. If you belong to the latter category, then the off-campus option is the right fit for you.
For seeking help finding off-campus housing, candidates can consider alternatives like Places4students.com, Facebook groups, and others.
Private rentals in Barrie usually are available within the range of 413 and 525 USD per room per month (meals excluded). Other off-campus communities can also be considered as an option which is available at a comparatively lower price of 400 to 489 USD per room per month. In addition to the basic rent, students also have to pay 75 to 113 USD for utilities.
The college offers admission in multiple takes to the aspirants around the year and has a very comprehensive procedure of considering applications. The mandatory set of information to be noted for successful admission at the institute is as described below.
The upcoming deadlines for sending in applications to the institute are as mentioned below:
|Start of Session||Application Deadline|
NOTE: Deadline for applying to highly competitive programs is February 1 for all intakes. Aspirants are advised to send in their entries at the earliest possible opportunity as the demand of these courses always exceeds the availability of seats.
Application process explained in a few easy steps:
- Visit the official website of Georgian College and apply by filling an International Application Form.
- Provide all the personal and academic details, as required.
- Upload the mandatory documents.
- Pay the nonrefundable application fee of 75 USD.
- Wait for an offer of a place and keep track of the latest updates regarding your application status.
- Academic transcripts and previous academic records in English certified or notarized. The applicants must have 65% above marks in their academics.
- Along with the Nonrefundable application fee, the applicant may submit the online application.
- English language proficiency has to be demonstrated through standardized tests taken for the purpose like IELTS, TOEFL etc. Or French language proficiency
- Financial documents showing enough funds to cover the fees. Under SDS rules GIC account with 10,000 CAD needs to be opened either with Scotia or ICICI bank.
- Statement of purpose
- Passport Copy ID pages
- The courses’ requirements differ from one another and the applicants are requested to go through the requirements of the chosen courses carefully before starting their application.
Once the offer letter is received by the applicant, a non-refundable deposit of 2,500 CAD has to be made to confirm the admission.
The estimated cost of living in Canada to help you plan your stay at the institute in advance is compiled as follows:
The fee for an array of programs available at the institute varies in reference to parameters like level, duration,among others. Some of the courses with their corresponding tuition fee are as tabulated below.
|Name of Program||Tuition Fee (in USD, per semester)|
|Business Administration- Human Resources||5,841 to 6,600|
|Nursing||6,737 to 7,473|
|Community & Justice Services||5,611 to 6,370|
|Computer System Technician- Networking||5,863 to 6,600|
|Civil Engineering Technology||5,841 to 6,600|
Mostly all the graduate courses at the college have common tuition fee (with few exceptions) which comprises of ancillary fees, health insurance, student ID card, activity fees, among other things.
Graduate certificate: 13,425 to 14,460 (in USD, per year).
Graduate degree: 15,270 to 15,338 (in USD, per year).
Other expenses to be considered after having looked at the basic tuition fee are as follows:
|Type of Expenditure||Cost (in USD, per year)|
|Rent||4,500 to 5,400|
|Groceries||1,350 to 1,800|
|Transportation||900 to 1,350|
|Books and Supplies||900|
The institute offers various bursaries and scholarships to international applicants wanting to study in Canada on the basis of academic achievements, demonstrated community involvement, areas of study and performance in sports.
The combined value of 562,500 USD is granted in the form of more than 750 awards to the candidates with outstanding achievements and capabilities.
Some of the available studentships that you can avail by applying at the college are as follows:
|Name of Award||Amount (in USD)||Eligibility|
|Aspire- Canada Scholarship Program||750||Any nationality candidate pursuing an undergraduate/graduate program from the college|
|HKADC Overseas Arts Administration Scholarship||450,000||Available to candidates from all nationalities, pursuing a graduate program in Art project management, arts policy & administration, curating, marketing & communication, research & analysis, development & entrepreneurship|
|Ritchie-Jennings Memorial Scholarship Program||750 to 7,500||All nationalities candidate pursuing bachelor’s or master’s in Accounting, business administration, finance or criminal justice|
Note: The available awards are application-based which open for entries in the 2 sessions of Fall and Winter. Currently, the applications have closed for the upcoming session
- The university has more than 85,000alumni members all over the world and keep a connection and works for promoting the college. The members of alumni also join hands to help the students by contributing to the need-based scholarships.
- Reconnect with the Georgians is always reflected in all the programs and events like reunions, seminars, and live sessions to inspire the students through their success stories and help them in their future endeavours are organized by the alumni.
- The alumni provide discounts and financial services in the areas of insurance, credit cards, need-based scholarships amongst others.
- Some of the notable alumni of the university are :
- Jonathan Riley "Jon" Montgomery- Canadian skeleton racer and television host
- Karen Vecchio, Member of Parliament
- Ute Schmid Jones · Green Party Campaign Manage
- Helena C. Guergis - Canadian politician
- Scott Whitaker- Businessman
- Keith Moreau- Graphic designer
- The College has a career center for its students and assists its students in getting suitable placements by online and offline resources.
- The center provides information for job postings and volunteer opportunities and also works to enhance employability skills by conducting Resume writing, Mock Interviews, and Career coaching.
- Online portal and virtual employment resources are provided to students to place their information and the employers can pick the suitable candidates.
- The College collaborates with industry to get the placements done through online fairs and interviews also.
FIND A PROGRAM
Since this was the only college providing Big Data Certification
Course Curriculum :
Curriculum is framed in such a manner that mostly relevant subjects are taught, but teaching may vary. Since course is online due to pandemic, experience will vary too.
Georgian College is considered one of the best colleges in Canada with high employment rate. I choose computer programming due to my interest in Computer software and coding. Also this course have co-op work term which helps provides hands-on learning experience.
Course Curriculum :
My learning experiences through first semester has been great. It was like a rollercoaster learning new things, getting excited, sometimes struck. Course syllabus is up-to date. It also involved projects to learn and understand concepts better. Some LinkedIn Courses as well as Cisco Networking courses were also provided.
The course that I wanted to study was very rare in most of the colleges and also they very very expensive. Call it luck, but as I applied through the online college portal by paying $100 , I got accepted after waiting for four weeks.
Course Curriculum :
It was very detailed and well structured keeping updated with the current trends and statics. It covered topics such as Business mathematics, Financial and Management Accounting and many other important topics which was very helpful for my carreer.
After completing my higher secondary in the stream of computers, I went to my father's friend and he suggested me this college to as he was himself an alumnus of the college. He told me everything about it and I decided to take admission here. I was required to pay an application fee of $100 and apply through the online portal of the college.
Course Curriculum :
My course is very interesting and updated. I was taught everything from the very basic to an advanced level. I was taught about the programming languages as well as the algorithm.
My father's friend suggested him this university so after a deep conversation with my parents and intensive research I decided to take admission here. For this, I was required to pay an application fee and apply through the online portal of the college. The application process for this College was quite simple.
Course Curriculum :
In my curriculum, I was taught everything in a very interesting way it was more of practical knowledge than theoretical knowledge. My curriculum was very interesting and updated.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary