Bachelor of Performing Arts (BPA) is an undergraduate course of 3-4 years. This degree includes an elaborate course of study spanning a combination of dance, music and drama.
Go through the full list of Top BPA Colleges in India
To take admission in a BPA course, the candidates must have completed their 10+2 with the 50% marks, however the minimum marks required may vary from college to college.
What is the Admission Process for Admission to BPA course?
Admission to the BPA program is conducted either through entrance examination or merit based. Applications for admission can be available either from the university’s official website or by visiting the admission office for the same.
Admission in BPA program provided by many universities in India is direct.in the direct admission process:
- Candidates will have to fill an application form for the particular university representative of their preference for the BPA program.
- After declaring the cut off list of programs by university, aspirants are approved for admission on verification of their appropriate documents.
Some top Universities also conduct entrance exams for admission to BPA courses.
- Many universities like Lovely Professional University, Banaras Hindu University, etc. take admission eligibility exam for giving admission in the BPA program.
- After facing the theory paper, aspirants are shortlisted for a practical exam. The practical exam tests the practical knowledge of candidates in their respective areas of performance arts.
The documents that are required at the time of admissions are:
- 10th class certificate
- 12th class certificate
- Character/school leaving/transfer document
- Aadhar cards (of candidate and his/her parents)
- Entrance test scorecard
- Three passport size photographs of the candidate.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for Admission to BPA course?
In order to pursue a BPA program from any college, candidates need to meet required eligibility criteria to be considered eligible. However, the eligibility criteria for admission depends upon the college in which the candidates would like to take admission to pursue BPA.
- The basic qualification for pursuing a BPA course is that a candidate should pass a degree in 10+2 or higher secondary examination.
- The candidates should have a minimum of 50% marks in 10+2 from a recognized board of education.
- Students who are willing to apply for this course should have a background in the area of fine arts which includes music, dance and drama, to go further for this course.
Is There any Entrance Exam for Admission to BPA course?
Students who want to pursue a degree in bachelor of Performing Arts need to appear in the entrance exams which will secure their admissions in the desired college/university. Below are some entrance tests which are conducted in order to assess a candidate's knowledge in the field of performing arts.
- DUET- Delhi University Entrance Test is conducted by the National Testing Agency on behalf of the Delhi University. It’s a computer-based exam of 2 hours long duration. The test paper will contain 100 multiple choice questions in which every correct answer will consist of 4 marks and there’s also a negative marking of -1 for each wrong question.
- LPUNEST- LPUNEST is conducted by the Lovely Professional University for the admission in its various courses, twice a year. The total duration of the exam is 2 hours 30 minutes and it’s an online mode exam. The candidates must have passed their 10+2 with 60% marks aggregate to be eligible for the exam.
- BHU UET- It’s an under graduate entrance test conducted by the Banaras Hindu University for admission of the students in courses offered by the college. BHU UET is conducted in paper-based test mode as well as in computer-based mode.
|Exam Name||Conducting Body||Application Period||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|DUET||National Testing Agency||June 20, 2020 – July 31, 2020||September 6-11, 2020||Online|
|LPUNEST||Lovely Professional University||Ongoing - August 31, 2020 (extended)||Up to August 31, 2020||Online|
|BHU UET||Banaras Hindu University||January 30, 2020 – March 12, 2020||September 9-11, 2020||Offline|
How to Prepare for BPA Entrance Exams?
Preparation for the college entrance exam is almost as critical as the body of knowledge you have gained while in school. If you are not ready for them, it is unlikely you will do your best, here, we’ve got some top tips to help you get ready for entrance exams so you can get the best possible score.
- Students usually spend more time in planning, rather than executing the plans. Here, you need to prioritize the subjects according to your interest and schedule more time to study the ones you are not good at. Hence, it’s advisable to begin your preparation with these subjects, as it will help you to provide the extra time and effort in this phase.
- Students often have a habit of referring to innumerable books for each subject, despite most of them conveying the same thing. Having too many books on your plate would lead to confusion during the phase of revision and most of your doubts may remain unresolved. So, it is better to pick a particular book for each subject to avoid an overdose of studying and optimize your preparation.
- Every student relies on specific shortcuts, which they use to prepare for entrance exams. Be it for remembering formulas or memorizing points, these short cuts will help to save your time. You can pick standard shortcuts to tap into. Creating your own set of shortcuts won’t harm either.
- Take more practice tests as you can. There are plenty of places, you can take them online. You will also find helpful test tips, videos, and quizzes on many sites.
- Taking advantage of helpful resources will give you a distinct leg up when it’s time for the real thing.
How to Get Admission in a Good BPA College?
Every student wishes to get admission in the top most college, to get admission in the best college, you should keep some important points in your mind. So here are some tips for getting into the college of your choice:
- A good high school score, especially combined with a challenging curriculum, is one of the most important admission factors at any institute.
- If you have the option, choose to take as many challenging courses as you can handle in high school, such as college prep, advanced placement, honours, and international baccalaureate courses, not only can these kinds of courses help you earn college credits, but getting good test scores on AP tests can dramatically improve your chances of acceptance.
- Followed by your GPA and the strength of your high school curriculum, your standardized test scores arguably matter the most for admission, although many schools have started to make these tests optional.
- College essays are an extremely important part of the supplication process because they provide one of the best opportunities for you to sell yourself and convey who you are outside of grades and test scores. This is why you should spend plenty of time developing a unique essay that stands out from the rest of the crowd.
- Keep checking the notifications released by the colleges and universities, about their application deadline, admit card release and exam date.
BPA: What is it About?
Here is the description of the course BPA, what all a student should know about this course. It includes, on which areas this course focus upon, what will you get to learn and what skills can you develop after pursuing this course:
- The performing arts generally include Theatre, Studies, Music and Dance.
- The BPA degree often includes a general course of study spanning a combination of dance, music and drama.
- While it is possible for students to choose one area to focus on, a bachelor in performing arts is a general degree program that involves work from all performing arts areas.
- The BPA course includes subjects like Folk Music, Rabindra Sangeet, Indian Dances, etc.
- BPA program helps the students in enhancing their practical knowledge and skills so that they can prosper in the field of music, acting/drama, dance, etc.
BPA Course Highlights
Listed below are some key highlights of BPA course:
|Full form||Bachelor of Performing Arts|
|Admission Process||Merit or entrance based|
|Average tuition fee||INR 5,000 to INR 1,00,000|
|Job Positions||Actor, screenwriter, choreographer, community arts worker, theatre director, dance teacher, arts administrator, music therapist, broadcast presenter, broadcast engineer etc.|
|Average salary||INR 3,00,000 - 7,00,000|
Why Study a BPA Course?
There are several benefits of the BPA degree for those who have decided to pursue this course they will be able to get lots of benefits like:
- A Bachelor degree in Performing Arts creates a solid understanding of the practice and theory of performance.
- Students can acquire comprehensive knowledge and enhance their performance and leadership skills.
- Their exposure to a wide range of performance in art aspects enables graduates to succeed in many arenas.
- The emphasis on performance and leadership in many programs also serves to improve students’ confidence, communication skills and ability to collaborate with others productively.
- These skills are very important in any profession and provide a solid basis for future success.
BPA Course Comparison
BPA and BVA are two very similar courses. The two courses have been compared on the basis of parameters like Admission Process, Eligibility, Annual Fees, Annual Salary, etc.
|Full Form||Bachelor of Visual Arts||Bachelor of Performing Arts|
|Overview||BVA covers all the aspects of visual arts including Animation, Filming, Photography, along with the study of filming, painting, etc.||BPA is the study of performance based art forms like dance, drama, theatre, music, and other performing arts.|
|Specialization||Painting, sculpture, film making, applied art, art history, animation interactive norms and so on.||Students can specialize in performing arts in three specializations: music, dance and drama (theatre).|
|Eligibility||10+2 from a recognized board of education.||10+2 from a recognized board of education.|
|Admission Process||Counselling after qualification of a relevant entrance test /performance at 10+2.||Merit or entrance based|
|Total Fees||INR 30,000 - 3,00,000||INR 5,000 - 1,00,000|
|Job Options||Visual designer, animator, graphic designer, cartoonist, museum artist, film maker etc.||Actor, screenwriter, choreographer, community arts worker, theatre director, dance teacher, arts administrator, music therapist, broadcast presenter, broadcast engineer etc.|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 3,00,000 - 5,00,000||INR 3,00,000 - 7,00,000|
Source: College Websites
Which are the Top colleges for studying BPA?
Some of the top colleges and universities offering BPA are mentioned in the table below, which also contains admission process, annual fees, average placement salary and the colleges are ranked according to the NIRF 2020 ranking.
|University Name||Location||Average Annual Fees||Admission Process||Average Annual Salary|
|Jadavpur University||Kolkata, West Bengal||INR 2,400||Entrance based||INR 19,60,000|
|Savitribai Phule Pune University||Maharashtra||INR 26,090||Entrance based||INR 6,50,000|
|Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||INR 56,000||Entrance based||INR 4,00,000|
|Mumbai University||Mumbai, Maharashtra||INR 3,680||Merit based||INR 3,20,000|
|Assam University||Silchari, Assam||INR 14,820||Entrance followed by an interview||INR 3,00,000|
|Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda||Vadodara, Gujarat||INR 9,060||Entrance based||INR 4,50,000|
|Miranda House||New Delhi, Delhi NCR||INR 14,260||Merit based||INR 5,60,000|
|Hindu College||New Delhi, Delhi NCR||INR 17,590||Merit based||INR 5,00,000|
|Hans Raj College||New Delhi, Delhi NCR||INR 20,945||Merit or entrance based||INR 5,50,000|
|Gargi College||New Delhi, Delhi NCR||INR 12,295||Merit based||INR 2,50,000|
Source: College Websites
BPA College Comparison
Here’s a comparison between some of the top colleges offering BPA, in the table given below. The comparison of the colleges has been made on the parameters like NIRF ranking, admission process, annual fees, annual salary and their top recruiters.
|Parameter||Lovely Professional University||Savitribai Phule Pune University||Gargi College|
|Overview||The university offers several undergraduate, post graduate and doctoral programs. The scholarships are awarded in LPU to aspirants who perform excellent in various fields. LPU students receive the best payment packages (placement) in multiple disciplines. The hostels of LPA are one of the largest hostels in the country and can accommodate more than 10,000 students.||Savitribai Phule Pune University is one of the largest universities in the world with more than 6 lakhs students studying in the college. The Savitribai Phule Pune University is recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC). All development grants are sanctioned by the UGC and other funding agencies such as the Centre for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Department of Atomic Energy (DAE).||Gargi College has 24 courses in various streams ranging from arts and humanities, commerce and education, science. They offer 9 BA courses, 2 B. Com courses, 7 B.Sc. Courses, one mathematical science course, 2 professional courses and 3 postgraduate courses. The curriculum of all the courses at the college is as per the guidelines of the University of Delhi.|
|NIRF 2020 ranking||99||19||16|
|Location||Jalandhar||Maharashtra||New Delhi, Delhi NCR|
|Admission process||Entrance based||Entrance based||Merit based|
|Average annual fees||INR 56,000||INR 26,090||INR 12,295|
|Average annual package||INR 4 LPA||INR 6.5 LPA||INR 2.5 LPA|
|Top recruiters||Cognizant, Infosys, Amazon, Capgemini, Samsung, etc.||Reliance Jio, Atos, Volkswagen, etc.||KPMG India, EY GDS, Wills Tower Watson, etc.|
Source: College Websites
Which Subjects are Taught in BPA?
The detailed syllabus of Bachelor of Performing Arts course that you will study during the course is mentioned below in the table and the syllabus covered in the discipline may differ based on the university one chooses:
|Raga Studies||History of Dance|
|Fundamental Study of Hindustani Music||New Media & Performance Practice|
|Fundamental Study of Tala||Technique of Dance|
|Intensive Study of Raga||Choreography|
|Folk Music||Dance on Camera|
|Rabindra Sangeet||Indian Culture|
|Analytical Study of Tala and Shastra||Movement Techniques|
|Analytical Study of Indian Classical Music||Mudras|
|Elementary study of Hindustani Music||Chandas|
|Elementary Study of Tala|
|Introduction to Indian Theatre|
|Indian Culture and Art|
|History of Indian Theatre|
|Body Movement and Dance|
|Basics of Vocal Practice|
|Basics of Camera Light and Sound|
|Folk Theatre Forms of India|
|Basic Concepts of Film Making|
|Stage Craft and Design|
|Theory of Direction and Stage Craft Direction|
|History of Western Theatre|
Which Jobs are Available for BPA Candidates?
The students of performing arts enjoy an extensive career in arts in various fields including the film industry, entertainment houses, arts organizations, voluntary organizations, music companies, art universities and many more. There is no shortage of positions in the industry that allow you to earn while you harness the power inherited in art.
Some of the job options along with its description and average annual salary offered to that particular job position mentioned below:
|Choreographer||The responsibility of choreographer are, understanding specifications as well as limitations of the project, and collaborating with the director, creating dance steps that fit with the mood, music and theme, supporting, guiding, and explaining all the steps and the formations to dancers, ensuring studio or venue is available for rehearsal and that dancers have been notified in a timely manner, conducting research by watching dance shows and attending performances.||INR 3,10,000|
|Music therapist||Music Therapists help their patients reach mental health goals through musical treatments. A Music Therapist is a healthcare professional who works with a variety of patients to improve mental health outcomes through individualized, clinical and evidence-based treatment plans.||INR 2,00,000|
|Broadcast presenter||The broadcast presenter's responsibilities generally includes, to organising meetings, interviews and schedules, to operating technical equipment, such as radio ‘desks", to undertaking relevant background research, to interviewing guests via the telephone or in person, to writing and rehearsing scripts, to do meeting with programme directors/producers to discuss programmes/shows, giving reviews of newly released books, films, music etc,||INR 4,78,000|
|Community arts worker||The duties of community art worker are to identifying the needs of community groups, to designing, monitoring and evaluating arts project, to teaching performance or creative skills to project participants, to compiling and maintaining databases of professionals available to work on projects, to publicising events, to supporting community groups and offering advice on fundraising and forming projects, to managing volunteers and recruiting artists, to liaising with local authorities, schools and companies to build interest and support from possible funders and community members.||INR 2,50,000|
|Theatre director||The theatre director's responsibilities include working with producers on large productions, there may be other supporting staff such as artistic directors and music directors to collaborate on extensive production designs. Leading rehearsals, he or she collaborates creatively with the actors and technical crew to make the blocking natural, changing it when necessary and allowing inspiration. Directors finish their work when they determine the final pacing of the play reverberates with the life of an artistic vision that is satisfying and complete.||INR 3,49,000|
What is the Future Scope after Completing BPA?
The scope of Bachelor of Performing Arts is very wide and after pursuing BPA course, candidates can get so many best opportunities in many fields anywhere in the world. The scopes after this course are:
- After completing BPA, the candidates can go for a Master's degree in Performing Arts or MPA.
- The demand for these professionals in the industry is huge due to the work expertise and skill set they have acquired in the theatrical and related areas of interest.
- The music graduates can work as entertainers, incorporating in expert ensembles, and in structure (counting music piece) and music innovation. They can also study MA Music .
- The music graduates can additionally take up work in expressions organization, music educating, publishing and news coverage.
- Graduates of drama department go work as a performing artist, chiefs, essayists, creators, stage supervisors, expert’s dramatization instructors, TV analyst, makers and moderators and expression overseers, and also can enter in more extensive professions, for example, advertising, promoting and publication industry.
- Graduates of dance departments can get jobs under full time category are very rare, which means many people have to work at other part-time jobs to make ends meet.
Check the list of Top MPA Colleges in India.
Some frequently asked questions on the BPA course are discussed below.
Ques. What jobs can performing arts lead to?
Ans. The graduates of BPA can get job positions of Actor, screenwriter, choreographer, community arts worker, theatre director, dance teacher, arts administrator, music therapist, broadcast presenter, broadcast engineer etc.
Ques. What are the three types of performing arts included in bachelor’s degree?
Ans. The major types of performing arts include music, dance and theatre.
Ques. How is Lovely Professional university for Performing Arts?
Ans. Lovely Professional university is probably growing day by day. If you are looking forward for performing arts, I think you can go for LPU. Otherwise you can check the reviews of Lovely Professional university on its official website.
Ques. What are the best fine arts colleges in India?
Ans. Lovely Professional University, Assam University, Mumbai University, Jadavpur University, Miranda House, Gargi College, etc.
Ques. What is the importance of performing arts?
Ans. With performing arts, students are, students are made to speak, recite, and sing which helps them to improve their communication skills. Not only they learn to express themselves but also learn new languages/dialects and pronunciation.
Ques. What skills can I gain from performing arts?
Ans. Confidence, self-presentation, teamwork and collaboration, time management and organisational skills, self-awareness, self-discipline and many more.
Ques. How does the performing arts help students?
Ans. Performing arts allow students to develop creative passions, they simultaneously teach students language and communication skills, helping them to communicate effectively with others with confidence. Performing arts are all about self-expression, exploring alternative options and embracing individually.
Ques. What life skills can we learn from theatre?
Ans. Oral communication skills, creative problem-solving skills, willingness to work cooperatively, the ability to work independently, time budgeting skills, initiative and so on.
Ques. What are the four types of drama?
Ans. There are four forms of drama. They are comedy, tragedy, tragicomedy and melodrama.
Ques. What are the subjects included in performing arts?
Ans. This course includes subjects like fundamental study of tala, elementary study of Hindustani music, movement techniques, stage craft and design, basic concepts of film making.