“Literature is the most Agreeable way of Ignoring Life”
- Fernando Pessoa
B.A. English is a 3-year undergraduate course dealing with the various nuances of English as a language, both written and spoken. It is excellent preparation for careers in teaching, media, and advertising, writing, and publishing.
Eligibility for the course is 10+2 cleared. The student should have done schooling from a school affiliated to a recognized board.
Top Institutes offering this course in India are:
- Hans Raj College, New Delhi
- K J Somaiya College of Arts and Commerce, Mumbai
- Daulat Ram College, New Delhi
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Calcutta University, Kolkata
The average tuition fees by various institutes fall between INR 8,000 to INR 1.3 Lakh for the span of three years.
The subject deals in literary analysis, prose, poetry, written and oral communication skills and related disciplines. Admissions for such courses are on the basis of counselling after clearing entrance tests like the University of Delhi and others depending on the colleges.
Why Study BA English?
Each student admitted into the BA English program has their own personal goals and reasons to pursue the program. Some of the reasons why this program should be considered are stated below.
- Multiple career opportunities: One of the major benefits of studying BA in English is the diverse career opportunities that are available. Students can choose to work or study in their line of study or in a completely different field. Graduates from this program are in demand, especially in media and publishing houses, in both the private and government sectors.
- High salaries: Salaries will differ from company to company and according to the job profile. One can expect to earn between INR 2,00,000 lacs p.a. - INR 5,00,000 lacs p.a.
- Higher studies: An English graduate can take admission in Masters of Arts in Literature and then a research-based program after completing their BA English Literature program.
BA English Highlights
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||10+2 with English as a subject.|
|Admission Process||Based on counselling after clearing Entrance Tests or through cut-offs of universities like DU.|
|Course Fee||INR 8,000 to 1.3 Lakh for 3 years|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2-5 Lakhs per annum|
|Job Positions||Teacher, Policy Analyst, Writer, Editor, Publisher or Researcher, Communicator, Public Relations Officer, Speechwriter, Travel Writer, Blogger or Reviewer, Postsecondary English Teacher, Arts Administrator, Developer or Manager|
What is BA English?
The program aims to introduce a wide range of Literatures in English. In the primary phase, Bachelor of Arts course has the aim to offer the opportunity for students to be able to respond and read novels of the large spectrum, play and create poetry with associated genres. At a secondary level, the students will be exposed to wider socio-cultural and political issues in relation to contemporary English. This program in English will be serving as an excellent foundation for students who want to do a very deep study.
The B.A. English course provides a strong background in the study of English. This particular program stresses upon:
- Literary Analysis
- Written and oral communication skills
- Critical thinking
through a rigorous curriculum of literature, composition, language and linguistics, and communication studies. Students interested in creative writing may choose this profession.
Read More: All About Bachelor of Arts
Types of BA English Degrees
Full-time: This is a full fledged on campus degree course that provides the student with all the required knowledge and skills about a particular stream or subject. Colleges like Calcutta University, Delhi University, Kirori Mal, Miranda House and others provide MA Full time degree courses.
Part-Time: Part-time degree is the provision of completing the degree course with more time. Most colleges provide Part-time degrees along with full-time degrees. Colleges like Jamia Milia University and Jawaharlal Nehru University provide part time degrees to students.
Distance Education: Distance Education colleges provide the option of completing a degree course while also working. This is the most flexible form of degree course. Colleges like IGNOU, Annamalai University , Karnataka State Open University , Osmania University , University of Mumbai provide MA Distance Education
BA English Eligibility
The eligibility criteria for BA English is mentioned below:
- To be eligible to pursue this course, the student must have completed and cleared senior secondary examination (10+2) from a good school.
- The school should be affiliated to a recognized board like ICSE, CBSE board or any other equivalent State board or any board equivalent to that.
- All SC/ST candidates have a relaxation of 5% in the minimum aggregate.
BA English Admission Process
Admissions into most BA English offering colleges is on merit-basis. Students are admitted on the basis of their 12th standard marks obtained. Some institutes do hold entrance examinations to admit students. The admission season is around May to July of each year when each institute releases its admission deadlines and admission process. The steps to be admitted into a BA English college is as follows:
Applications submitted will be judged based on the cut-offs of each college. If a student meets the cut-off they will be invited for further admission process including entrance examination or an interview round. If seats are available and all due diligence has been done, the candidate will be offered a seat at the college.
BA English Entrance Exams
Some institutes conduct their own entrance examinations every year as part of their admission process. The important or most popular entrance examinations for BA English are as below.
- DUET: Delhi University Entrance Test or the DUET is the entrance examination asked for admission into some University of Delhi affiliated colleges. The exam is computer-based and held during the month of May each year. The exam is held for over two hours.
- BHU UET: Banaras Hindu University’s Entrance Examination or the BHU UET is required for admission into undergraduate programs. The exam mode is online and is of 2 hours 30 minutes duration. The paper pattern is a multiple-choice question format. The topics and sections will depend on the course applying for.
- Jamia Millia Islamia University Entrance Exam: Jamia Millia Islamia conducts their entrance exam during the month of May every year for admission into the BA English Literature program. Depending on the program applied to, candidates are required to appear for a counselling round after the entrance examination.
The table below lists some of the important dates and details of the BA English Entrance Exams.
|Exams||Conducting Body||Mode of Exam||Date of Exam|
|DUET||Delhi University||Online||To be announced|
|BHU UET||Banaras Hindu University||Online||To be announced|
|Jamia Millia Islamia University Entrance Exam||Jamia Millia Islamia University||Online||To be announced|
How to get admission in a good BA English Literature college?
- To gain admission through merit-based BA English colleges, a high 12th class percentage is required. Admissions are highly competitive at the top colleges.
- Cut-off lists and admission details are advertised regularly during the admissions season, they must be kept track of.
- For admission through entrance examination based colleges, the exam pattern, past papers etc. must be downloaded for practice.
- Reading through the latest national and world news must be made a habit. It is helpful during entrance examinations.
- Preparations must be started at least one year before admissions start so that there is enough time to be well prepared.
- The verbal ability section contains questions on grammar, sentence restricting, vocabulary, parajumbles and reading comprehension.
- To score higher in the verbal ability section, reading and practising as much as possible is recommended.
- The quantitative aptitude section contains questions on basic mathematics. Topics from classes 10th to 12th including matrices, permutations & combinations etc. are covered.
- For the reasoning section, students are tested on their analytical thinking. The best way to score high in this section is to practice past papers.
- Most entrance examinations also contain a section on general knowledge.
BA English vs BA English literature
The comparison between BA English vs BA English literature are mentioned below according to full form, overview, objective, average fees and salary.
|Parameter||BA English||BA English Literature|
|Full Form||Bachelor of Arts English||Bachelor of Arts English Literature|
|Overview||It deals with prose, poetry and other works by prominent personalities of the language.||It deals with literature including the origin, history and development of English literature.|
|Objective||It gives a good understanding about different texts and poems.||It gives a good understanding about the development of the language with respect to literary advancement through the ages.|
|Admission Criteria||Students are admitted on both merit-basis and entrance examinations.||Students are admitted on both merit-basis and entrance examinations.|
|Average Fees(INR)||50,000 - 3,00,000||60,000 - 3,50,000|
|Average Salary(INR)||3,50,000 - 6,00,000||4,00,000 - 6,00,000|
BA English Top Colleges
Top colleges that provide BA English are mentioned below along with the location, average annual fees and average annual placements.
|College Name||Location||Average Annual Fees (INR)||Average Annual Placements (INR)|
|St. Stephen’s College||New Delhi||INR 34,890||INR 3,60,000|
|Lady Shri Ram College for Women||New Delhi||INR 16,390||INR 7,50,000|
|Hindu College||New Delhi||INR 16,540||INR 4,00,000|
|Miranda House||New Delhi||INR 14,160||INR 3,50,000|
|Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||INR 3,420||INR 5,00,000|
|Calcutta University||Kolkata||INR 1,184||INR 8,04,000|
|Savitribai Phule Pune University||Pune||INR 26,090||INR 4,85,000|
|Aligarh Muslim University||Aligarh||INR 61,770||INR 3,50,000|
|Jamia Millia Islamia||Delhi||INR 7,200||INR 4,00,000|
BA English College Comparisons
The table below gives a comparison of the top BA English Literature colleges of India.
|Parameter||Banaras Hindu University||University of Delhi||Jadavpur University|
|Overview||BHU is a public university from Varanasi that was established in 1916. It is a highly ranked university for a number of courses. Admission is competitive.||The University of Delhi, also called Delhi University is a public university established in 1922. It is one of the most popular universities in the country for BA English Literature courses.||Jadavpur University is accredited with ‘Grade A’ by NAAC and offers courses through its Departments and Affiliated Colleges. It provides undergraduate, postgraduate and doctorate programs in various streams|
|Rank||NIRF 2020: 3||NIRF 2020: 11||NIRF 2020: 5|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 3,420||INR 3,630||INR 7,200|
|Average Placement Package||INR 5,00,000||INR 4,30,000||INR 5,20,000|
BA English Distance Education
BA English Literature Distance Education is offered by few colleges. The duration of the course is 3 years with the basic eligibility being successful completion of class 12.
The table below provides the course fee details of Distance education colleges.
BA English Syllabus
The semester-wise syllabus of BA English are mentioned below:
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Communicative English||Professional Communication|
|Language Paper I||Language Paper II|
|History of English Literature: The Pre-Chaucerian to the Augustan||History of English Literature: The Pre-Romantic to the Victorian|
|English Poetry: The Elizabethan to the Augustan||English Poetry: The Pre-Romantic to the Victorian|
|English Prose: The Elizabethan to the Victorian||English Prose: The Late-Victorian to the Modern|
|Introduction to Computing||Indian Writing in English: Fiction|
|Cultural Education I||Cultural Education II|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Communicative English (Advanced)||History of English Language and Phonetics|
|History of English Literature: Victorian to the Present||Indian Writing In English: Poetry|
|American Literature||Shakespeare: Comedies|
|English Fiction: Victorian||Elective A|
|Life Skills I||Open Elective A|
|Amrita Value Programme I||Life Skills II|
|Amrita Value Programme II||-|
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Elements of Literary Criticism||Literary Criticism: Introduction|
|English Poetry: Modern||European Fiction|
|English Drama: Elizabethan to Victorian||English Fiction: Modern|
|Spiritual Literature||English Drama: Modern|
|Elective B||Shakespeare: Tragedies|
|Open Elective B/Live-in-Lab||Autobiography|
|Life Skills III||-|
BA English Scope
Career options after completing a BA English degree is either looking for a job or going for higher education.
- BA English graduates find jobs in media houses, publishing houses, MNCs and other industries in both private and public sectors.
- Some job profiles that graduates get hired as are content writer, copywriter, teachers, journalist, editors, proofreaders, human resources management etc.
Job profiles are not limited for BA English graduates. One can gain employment in various sectors and industries. Some of the most prominent job profiles are as follows.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Teacher||Teachers in schools and colleges are responsible for teaching the future generation of children; prefer to hire BA English Literature graduates.||INR 3,00,000|
|Content Writer||Content writers are responsible for doing write-ups on blogs, company websites, advertisements, product descriptions and more.||INR 2,80,000|
|Journalist||Journalists are hired to chase the latest news and produce quality articles for newspapers.||INR 3,40,000|
|Script Writer||Scriptwriters, hired by media companies to write up scripts for television shows, movies and other forms of production.||INR 4,79,000|
|Proofreader||Proofreaders are hired at publishing houses to read and correct grammar and language of write-ups produced by other writers.||INR 2,48,000|
|Editor||Editors are hired to revise and review all material to be published in magazines, newspapers and also websites.||INR 3,90,000|
Career Options after BA English
- MA: The most obvious choice after a BA in English is to do a Master of Arts or MA in English Literature. Building up the existing knowledge and choosing a specialization at the master level is the best formula to land high paying jobs in a career of choice.
- MBA: If one wishes to work in management, preparing for an MBA course is the way to go. MBA programs can be done in multiple majors and minors, as per one’s wishes. Pay grade will be high and job opportunities are abundant in this sector.
- Mass Communication: The scope of a BA English student in Mass Communication is quite wide. Mass Comm will prepare students in the technical and creative aspects of working in radios, televisions, newspapers, movies etc. A BA English student is bound to get a leg up in this field.
- Civil Services: Civil services examinations are a good choice for graduates of this course. One big aspect of the civil services exams is being able to frame and write the answers properly. The program will come in handy in this regard.
- Law: Many also opt to study for law courses like LLB. One major advantage of studying a law course after a BA English course is that the standard five-year course can be skipped. Students become eligible for the three-year course instead.
Ques: Is BA English a good course?
Ans: BA in English Honors is a very good subject to pursue. You will get to study and analyse a number of literary works from around the world. If you are really interested in writing and reading english works like literatures, articles, essays etc then this can give you a really good scope.
Ques: What is the difference between BA English and BA English literature?
Ans: In BA you are simply reading all prose and poetry, but in literature you have to read deeply about the English language origin, history and development. On the simple BA English base you can teach up to middle but with special English literature you can teach the PG students.
Ques: How many semesters are there in BA English?
Ans: There are 6 semesters. The duration of the course is 3 years which consists of 6 semesters. BA English course is mainly concentrated on research and theory that allows the aspirants to get a hold towards the roots of the English language.
Ques: How many subjects are there in BA English literature?
Ans: Bachelor or Arts is usually of three years duration. As part of a BA course the students need to study five compulsory subjects along with few elective subjects. These subjects vary depending on the discipline selected by candidates
Ques: Is English a useless degree?
Ans: An English degree is useless in STEM fields and in accounting and finance (as examples only), although not necessarily useless in journalism, writing, business admin, and similar types of positions. Being able to communicate effectively with others is an excellent skill for anyone to possess.
Ques: Is BA English good for UPSC?
Ans: If you are an IAS aspirant, you can graduate in any of the subjects in which you excel or which you like, then you can use this subject as an optional in civil services exam. English honours is a good option only if you have a deep interest in literature and enjoy reading novels, dramas, poems.
Ques: Is English a respected degree?
Ans: Although English literature won't train you for any specific career, it is a very well-respected degree that will equip you with a range of useful skills