BA Political Science or Bachelor of Arts in Political Science is a 3-year undergraduate program. The course involves the study of both national and international political systems. During the course, students are taught historical and modern political systems, public administration, governmental policies and procedures, international relations, and public affairs.
The basic eligibility is 10+2 or any other equivalent examination. The student must pass the 12th board examinations with at least 50% marks. The admission to the course is based on the cut-off list issued by the university or college.
|BA Political Science Colleges in Delhi NCR||BA Political Science Colleges in Maharashtra|
|BA Political Science Colleges in Karnataka||BA Political Science Colleges in West Bengal|
BA Political Science syllabus provides students an opportunity to explore different dimensions of political science like theory and practice of politics and description and analysis of political system and political behavior.
The table given below lists some of the top BA Political Science colleges in India.
|NIRF Rank||College Name||Entrance Exam Accepted||Average Annual Fees|
|2||Hindu College, Delhi||Merit-based||INR 16,540|
|9||Hansraj College, Delhi||Merit-based||INR 18,895|
|27||Fergusson College, Pune||Merit-based||INR 9,245|
|96||St. Xaviers College, Mumbai||Merit-based||INR 5,000|
|-||Christ University, Bangalore||Merit-based||INR 60,000|
The average annual fee charged by colleges or universities may vary from INR 5,000 to INR 80,000. The fees charged by private and government institutes are different.
The application process starts in the month of May. The first step is to duly fill the admission form. Most universities release cut off lists after the students have filled the admission forms. If the aggregate percentage obtained by the student in the class XII examination satisfies the cut-off criterion issued by the college, then he/she is granted admission based on the merit list.
This course also comes with an ample amount of career development opportunities. Graduates in the subject can find jobs in departments like Politics, Public Service, Media, Education, Social Service.
A fresh graduate of the course can easily expect a salary between INR 10,000 to INR 30,000 per month.
BA Political Science Admission Process
- The admission to the course is based on the cut-off list issued by the university or college.
- The application forms are generally released in the month of May or June every year.
- The application process is generally online but for some universities it is offline.
- Students are required to fill the application form before the deadline.
- After the declaration of 10+2 results, universities/ colleges release their respective cutoffs for the course.
- If the aggregate percentage obtained by the student in the class XII examination satisfies the cut-off criterion issued by the college, he/she is granted admission based on the merit list.
BA Political Science Eligibility
To apply for the BA Political Science, the students should fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
- The candidates should have passed class XII from a recognized board.
- The candidate should have scored at least 50% marks in their class XII final examination.
- Usually, the course is for students who have completed class XII with arts, but science and commerce students are also eligible.
BA Political Science Entrance Exams
The admission for BA political science is usually based on merit. But there are some institutes that do conduct entrance exams as a selection process. Some of the exams for admission into BA political science are:
- LPUNEST: This is a screening test conducted by Lovely Professional University, for admission into various courses offered by them, which also includes BA political science.
- CUET: It is a university level entrance exam conducted by Christ University, for admission into various undergraduate and postgraduate students. This entrance exam is followed by a skill assessment test, micro presentation, and personal interview.
- DUET: It is a national-level entrance exam for admission into various colleges affiliated to Delhi University. It is an online exam conducted by the national-testing agency. The students who are unable to get admitted on the basis of merit can try through the entrance exam mode.
- SUAT: It is the single entrance exam for admission into all the courses offered by Sharda University. International students will also have to clear this for admission.
|Name of the Examination||Mode of exam||Release of application||Exam date|
|LPUNEST 2020||Computer-based||September 14||Conducted between January 10 - 25|
|CUET 2020||Online mode||From December 8 2019 for Exam 1 & 2 and April 21 for Exam 3.||1st week of May (Exam 1 & 2) Exam 3 will be announced|
|DUET 2020||Computer-based||14th Jan 2020||July 24 - August 10|
|SUAT 2020||Online mode||Before 15th June 2020||June 10 - 17|
Due to COVID-19, SUAT can be given from home. Candidates can book their slots for home-based online tests between 10 -17 June.
BA Political Science: What is it about?
- BA Political Science revolves around the various concepts related to politics. The course as a whole touches the various systems of governance, economics, sociology, international relations, global politics, psychology, etc.
- The course gives an idea about how a government functions and teaches how to interpret and analyze political systems. This course is ideal for students who have an interest in politics and in learning about the administrative aspects of a country.
- The course as a whole revolves around the study of government. It helps the students discover the essential decision-making part of society and the social, economic, and other institutions and practices that influence this decision-making process.
- The course is not just concerned with current political methods, but also encompasses the history of political development and various political revolutions across the world.
- The students learn everything about the political practices of India and other countries around the world. The course is quite popular and offered by top universities like the University of Madras, Punjab University, University of Delhi, University of Bombay. These institutes offer this course as a full-time degree program.
BA Political Science Course Highlights
|Duration of the course||3 years|
|Number of Universities||Over 300|
|Eligibility||The student should have cleared their senior secondary examination with at least 50% marks from a recognized board.|
|Admission Process||Merit Based|
|The average Fees per Semester||INR 5,000 to INR 80,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 10,000 to INR 30,000 per month|
|Examination Type||Semester wise|
|Job profile||Editor, News Reporter, Writer, Politician, Bank Manager, Clerk, etc.|
|Top recruiting fields/areas||Federal, state and local governments, Law, Business and international organizations, Nonprofit associations and organizations, Electoral politics and polling, Journalism, Research and teaching|
Why Study BA Political Science?
Over the past years, BA Political Science has emerged as one of the most preferred courses among students in India. There are many benefits of pursuing this course, some of which are given below.
- The course imparts in-depth knowledge about the various dimensions of political science like the study of government, law & order, socio-economic practices, etc..
- Students can find lucrative job offers in the government sector.
- The course opens up exciting career opportunities in various fields like Federal, state, and local governments, Law, Business and international organizations, Nonprofit associations and organizations, Electoral politics and polling, Journalism, Research, and teaching.
- Apart from seeking jobs, students who choose to pursue BA Political Science can further opt-out for higher education in the related field. Either way, their knowledge of the subject builds up.
- The course is a blessing for the students who aim to crack the civil services examination. The course helps them cover a major part of the entrance syllabus.
BA Political Science vs BA Political Science Hons
The following table gives some detailed comparisons between BA Political Science Hons and BA Political Science (General) courses.
|Parameters||BA in Political Science||BA in Political Science (Hons)|
|Course overview||This three-year duration course provides students an opportunity to explore different dimensions of arts syllabus. Political science is one of the subjects taught.||This three-year duration course is all about political science. All the subjects revolve around one common subject of political science.|
|Average annual fees||INR 5,000-80,000||INR 8,000-1.8 lakh|
|Average salary offered||INR 1.2-3.6 lakh||INR 2-10 lakh|
|Colleges||St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai, Hindu college, Delhi, Hansraj College, Delhi, Christ University, Banglore, Fergusson College, Pune||Hindu college, Delhi, Hansraj College, Delhi, Fergusson College, Pune, Loyola College, Chennai|
BA Political Science Colleges
A significant number of top universities/colleges across the country offer a BA Political Science course to candidates who have successfully passed class XII examinations from a recognized board. Some of the top colleges offering the course are given below.
|NIRF Ranking 2019||College Name||Location||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees|
|2||Hindu College||Delhi||Merit-based||INR 14,790|
|5||Lady Shri Ram College for Women||Delhi||Merit-based||INR 16,390|
|9||Hansraj College||Delhi||Merit-based||INR 18,895|
|27||Fergusson College||Pune||Merit-based||INR 9,245|
|96||St. Xaviers College||Mumbai||Merit-based||INR 5,000|
|-||Christ University||Banglore||Merit-based||INR 60,000|
|-||DAV College||Chandigarh||Merit-based||INR 18,000|
The table below shows the key comparisons between some of the top colleges in India offering BA Political Science courses.
|College name||Hansraj College Delhi||Christ University, Bangalore||Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Delhi|
|College overview||Hansraj College is one of the top colleges affiliated to Delhi University. The college offers various undergraduate and graduate degree programs.||Christ University is deemed to be a university in Bangalore, Karnataka, India. It offers certificate, diploma, undergraduate, postgraduate and research programs in various academic disciplines||Lady Shri Ram College is an Arts College in Delhi. The college offers various Undergraduate and graduate degree programs in the arts stream. Admission to these courses is done on a merit basis.|
|Average annual fee||INR 18,895||INR 40,000||INR 21,290|
|Average annual package offered||INR 5,50,000||INR 5,75,000||INR 7,50,000|
BA Political Science Distance Learning Colleges
Students can also pursue BA Political Science Distance Education courses. There are a number of colleges and universities in India that offer bona fide education in the art stream through distance or correspondence mode.
Here is the list of colleges and universities offering this course in distance mode.
|Institute name||Location||Course duration||Average Annual Fee|
|Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)||Delhi||Minimum 3 years and Maximum 6 years||INR 9,000|
|Vardhman Mahaveer Open University||Kota||Minimum 1 year and a maximum of 3 years||INR 14,200|
|DU School of Open Learning||Delhi||Minimum 3 years and a maximum of 5 years.||INR 3,630|
BA Political Science Syllabus
BA Political Science Program is divided into six semesters. Each year of study comprises two semesters. The curriculum and syllabus of the program are almost similar for all the top colleges or universities.
For better knowledge of students, a detailed syllabus structure of the course in the University of Delhi is given below.
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Understanding Political Theory||Political Theory - Concepts and Debate|
|Constitutional Government and Democracy||Political Process in India|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Introduction to Comparative Government and Politics.||Political Process and Institutions in Comparative Perspective|
|Perspectives on Public Administration||Public Policy and Administration in India|
|Perspectives on International Relations and World History||Global Politics|
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Classical Political Philosophy||Modern Political Philosophy|
|Modern India Political Thought||Indian Political Thoughts|
Read the complete detailed BA Political Science Syllabus.
BA Political Science Jobs
BA Political Science offers an ample amount of career development opportunities. Graduates in the subject can find jobs in Governments, Administrations, Law, Business and International organizations, NGOs, Public Service, Media, Education, and Social Service.
A fresh BA political science graduate can expect an average salary between INR 10,000 to INR 30,000 per month. The table given below shows some of the major job profiles available to fresh BA Political Science graduates.
|Job Profiles||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Budget Analyst||A budget analyst helps businesses organize their budgets. They also offer policy analysis and law advice to lawmakers.||INR 6,50,000|
|Public Relations and Fundraising Manager||Public Relations and Fundraising Manager keep an eye over the trending social, political, and economic issues as these factors have a direct effect on any organization. They do a proper analysis of such trends and recommend campaigns and fundraising strategies to their organizations.||INR 5,87,228|
|Political Scientist||Political scientists’ main task is to analyze the government systems and make recommendations on necessary policy change decisions. These scientists at times rely on public opinion polls to resolve certain issues.||INR 6,00,000|
|Political Campaign Manager||A Political Campaign Manager hires and supervises various tasks related to any campaign. This requires proper analysis and opinion polls.||INR 6,13,183|
|Market Researcher||A Market Researcher gathers information on customer views about the products or services of any company. Market researchers might also discuss with clients to understand their business goals and strategies.||INR 3,56,195|
Salary Trend Graph
Give a look to the following graph comparing salaries of some top job profiles.
BA Political Science Scope
- One can choose to pursue higher education after completion of BA Political Science. There are a lot of academic options like MA Political Science, MA in International Relations, etc.
- Other than the traditional M.A. options, there is the option to pursue studies in Law. Students who wish to study law after graduation in political science have the option of a 3 year LLB.
- The option after the course is not limited to this, yet another option is an MBA. In MBA too, there are multiple specializations one can choose from. These include an MBA in Marketing, an MBA in Finance, an MBA in Human Resources.
During recent years, BA Political Science as a course has gained immense popularity among students. Students are willing to explore the different aspects of political science.The course is much more popular among the students who aim to crack the civil services examination.
The course helps them cover a major part of the entrance syllabus. While some of the students choose to work, most of them prefer to increase their skill set by pursuing further education in the respective field. With an increase in popularity, the scope of the course is also expected to increase in the coming years by many folds.
BA Political Science FAQs
Ques. What is the eligibility criteria, one must fulfill in order to pursue BA Political Science?
Ans. The only eligibility criterion for this course is that the student should have cleared their senior secondary examination with at least 50% marks from a recognized board.
Ques. How much does it cost to pursue the BA Political Science degree program?
Ans. The average annual fee charged for the course ranges from INR 5,000-INR 80,000 across various colleges and universities across the country.
Ques. Which are some of the most popular colleges offering BA Political Science?
Ans. Some of the most popular colleges offering BA Political Science degree programs are Fergusson college, Pune, St. Xavier's College, Mumbai, Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Delhi, Hansraj College, Delhi, Hindu College, Delhi, Christ University, Banglore, DAV College, Chandigarh.
Ques. Can I pursue a BA Political Science degree program through distance learning mode? If yes, then what are some of the colleges offering the same?
Ans. Yes, you can pursue the BA Political Science degree program through distance learning. Some of the institutes offering the course through distance learning are Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), Sikkim Manipal University, Annamalai University, Alagappa University, Madurai Kamaraj University.
Ques. What salary can I expect as a fresh BA Political Science graduate?
Ans. The average starting salary for a fresh BA Political Science graduate falls between INR 10,000 to INR 30,000 per month.
Ques. What are the various job positions available to a BA Political Science graduate?
Ans. Some of the job profiles available to a BA Political Science graduate include Editor, News Reporter, Writer, Politician, Bank Manager, Clerk, etc.
Ques. What are the areas of employment for BA Political Science graduates?
Ans. The graduates can find jobs in Federal, state, and local governments, Law, Business and international organizations, Nonprofit associations and organizations, Electoral politics & polling, Journalism, Research and teaching, Politics, Public Service, Media, Education, Social Service, etc.