Master of Arts [MA] Animation is a program at the postgraduate level. Each and every detailed aspect of Animation is taught in this course. This course is the diverse and creative study of visual, moving art.
The duration of MA Animation is two years, and it is divided into four semesters. In order to complete the course, one must clear each semester with the minimum passing marks allotted by the university they study in. Students are also made to take part in various activities based on the course and perform experiments related to them.
MA Animation equips postgraduates with the skills to devise, create and develop animations i.e., the illusion of movement for numerous platforms, particularly film. Students interested in building a career in gaming and animation are well suited for this field.
See Also: MA Admission 2021
To be eligible for MA Animation, students must have an undergraduate degree, either B. Tech or BA, in the relevant stream. It is advised to have a BA degree in Animation in order to become a complete master in this course. The degree must be from a reputed university or college, and candidates must have a minimum aggregate of 45% to 50% score.
The average fees for MA Animation degree range from INR 42,000 to INR 78,000. The career options in this program include employment in various areas such as the Gaming Industry, Fashion Companies, News Company, Film Industry, Animation Industry, etc. Students will get an average annual salary ranging between INR 2,00,000 to INR 6,00,000 on completion of MA Animation course.
See Also: Top Animation Colleges in India
MA Animation: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline or equivalent|
|Admission||Entrance Test + Personal Interview|
|Course Fee||INR 42,000 to INR 78,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2,00,000 to INR 6,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Organizations||St. Joseph College of Communication, Gaming Industry, FIT, News Channels etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Colleges and Universities, Gaming Industry, Film Industry, Animation Industry, Fashion Companies, News Company etc.|
|Top Job Profiles||Teacher or Lecturer, Texture Artist, Flash Animator, 3D Graphic Artist etc.|
MA Animation: Admission Process
The necessary steps for admission to MA Animation are mentioned below:
Step 1: Candidates are admitted to the MA Animation program based on their performance in the entrance examination conducted by their chosen college or university.
Step 2: Admission to this program generally begins in the month of August and ends in the month of November.
Step 3: After qualifying in the entrance examinations, there are follow-up personal interviews.
Step 4: Applications to this course are available either in the offline mode or in the online mode.
Step 5: To fill the application form online, candidates have to visit their chosen college or university’s website and fill the application form with correct details.
Step 6: On successful registration, the admission authorities get in touch with the candidates on the email id or mobile number provided by them at the time of registration.
Step 7: The next step is to visit the college or university in person with all the essential documents such as ID proof, Graduation Mark Sheet, Degree, and Photographs as part of the admission process.
Step 8: Candidates who wish to apply offline will have to purchase the application form along with a brochure from the College and submit the same after filling it correctly.
Step 9: After receiving all the application forms, the colleges or universities release their individual cut-off percent in the entrance exam for admission to MA Animation course. Only those candidates will get admission who qualifies the cut-off marks and also meet other admission requirements.
MA Animation: Eligibility Criteria
The entry-level eligibility or minimum requirement for Master of Arts in Animation is as follows:
- Candidates must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in relevant discipline or equivalent.
- Minimum aggregate of 45% to 50% should be maintained.
- The undergraduate degree must be from a recognized college or university.
- Students must qualify for the cutoff score for their chosen universities to get admission to this course.
- Having an undergraduate degree in BA Animation is advised before opting for this course.
MA Animation: Entrance Examinations
For admission to M.A. Animation, various colleges conduct qualifying examinations where students need to achieve the cutoff score.
- Mahatma Gandhi University, Kerala is a UGC approved university which conducts the CAT-MGU entrance exam.
- VELS Institute of Science, Technology and Advanced Studies conducts VEE examination for admission to postgraduate courses.
The qualifying examinations for M.A. Animation is mentioned in the table below with necessary details.
|Exam Name||Conducting Body||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|MGU CAT||Mahatma Gandhi University||June, 2021||Offline|
|VEE||VELS Institute of Science, Technology and Advanced Studies||May 13, 2021||Offline|
MA Animation: How to prepare for the Entrance Exam?
It is tough to crack entrance exams but with the right pointers, it can become quite easy. To prepare for the exams, candidates must
- create a practical study plan and use fewer books for theory.
- They must plan an exam strategy wherein they train their mind for the exam.
- They should focus on their strengths and weaknesses.
- Before appearing for the exam, they should practice previous years’ papers.
- In the examination hall, candidates must read the questions cautiously.
MA Animation: What is it about?
- M.A. Animation course focuses on the fundamentals and principles of animation. This course is concerned with both 2D as well as 3D animation using the latest technologies such as Visual FX, CGI (Computer Generated Imaging), Flash, Cartoon, stop-frame and other techniques.
- This course is best suited for those students who wish to deepen their knowledge of animation, create visually engaging worlds and breathe life into characters. They will study both theoretical and contextual content, developing their understanding of the growing field of animation.
- The Animation program explores both the theory and practice of the most imaginative and fulfilling form of art. In this program, students learn workflows and various applications from leading professionals in project-based teaching. Candidates will learn to create a personal portfolio which looks to the forefront of modern practices in approach, style and vision.
- The course is taught within a multi-disciplinary environment of discussion and exploration of ideas. It focuses on storytelling and visualization, character design, character animation and directing.
- They will also engage in analysis of animation art and theoretical seminars. This course will support your goals regardless of whether your aim is to be a character animator, storyteller, an independent animated filmmaker, or designer.
How to get admission in a top MA Animation College?
To secure admission into a top-ranking MA Animation college, several factors come into play.
- To get into a good college, candidates must first appear for an entrance examination. There is no national entrance test for M.A. Animation course. Colleges conduct their own qualifying examinations and some of them are MGU CET and VEE.
- Candidates must make a list of the pros and cons of the Arts institutes they are considering, and rate them out of 10 against different aspects of college life like affordability, distance from home, teacher-student ratio, etc.
- Other factors to keep in mind are college infrastructure, facilities available, the brand name or status of the art college, the university it is affiliated to, placement record, whether accommodation is available nearby, and so forth.
- Certain colleges carefully assess high school grades, courses, test scores, essays, activities, recommendations, and interviews, if required. Candidates will increase their chances of getting into the colleges of their choice by- getting the best possible grades in 10+2.
- Taking academically rigorous classes, spending sufficient time and developing college essays, preparing for on-campus interviews if required by colleges, and most importantly starting their college search early-on will further help candidates choose the right college.
MA Animation: Why study it?
- The animation is a progressive career option with many opportunities to excel, so an M.A. Animation degree is all the more impressive. The career scope of M.A. Animation is expanding rapidly. It is not anymore limited to one particular field in the entertainment industry. Students can discover a range of both technical and conceptual approaches to animation. They have the opportunity to produce short-form animation across 2D & 3D animation using a vast range of software.
- Students seeking admission to M.A. Animation courses are equipped with skills such as practical and creative skills and they also become good at problem-solving. The course allows students to extend contextual understanding of animation, its audiences and media culture. They can become familiar with the professional-level enquiry, research, creative invention, project planning and management practices.
- Careers in animation are highly competitive. Therefore, having an MA in Animation can help graduates secure positions over those with just a bachelor's degree. Students may also see the growth of jobs available for digital animators with developing technology. Many students pursue jobs in traditional media like cinema and television, but much work can be found in online arenas as well. Some career positions include digital advertiser, video game designer, digital animator, web designer, and more.
- Presently we can see animation everywhere starting from the Internet and phones to movies, commercials, games, special effects, VR, etc. Animated films can be produced both collaboratively and as solo endeavours. Work can be found as an animator, animation director, supervisor, producer, layout artist, storyboard artist, concept artist etc. depending on study choices. Employment is also available in applied professional tasks in the animation field such as festivals, financing and distribution.
MA Animation: Top Colleges
|Name of the College||Average Course Fees|
|Sacred Heart College, Ernakulam||INR 1,03,000|
|Yeldo Mar Baselios College, Ernakulam||INR 75,000|
|Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam||INR 18,000|
|Mahatma Jyoti Rao Phule University, Jaipur||INR 42,000|
|VELS Institute of Science, Technology and Advanced Studies, Chennai||INR 60,000|
|St. Joseph College of Communication, SJCC, Changanassery||INR 90,000|
MA Animation: College Comparisons
|Parameters||Mahatma Gandhi University||Mahatma Jyoti Rao Phule University||VELS Institute of Science, Technology and Advanced Studies|
|Overview||Established in 1983, Mahatma Gandhi University is a state university located in the Kottayam district of Kerala. The university have around 100 affiliated colleges under its jurisdiction spread over five districts in central Kerala. Also known as MG University or MGU.||Mahatma Jyoti Rao Phoole University (MJRPU) offers numerous undergraduate, postgraduate, PG Diploma, Certificate, and Doctorate courses in the fields of Law, Agriculture, Arts, Commerce, Home Science, Yoga and Vedic Sciences, management, and many more fields.||Vels Institute of Science, Technology and Advanced Studies (VISTAS), Chennai, popularly known as Vels University, offers undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral courses in 14 different fields. It is ranked fifth among the top 10 private engineering colleges in Tamil Nadu by Times of India Engineering Survey.|
|Average Fees||INR 18,000||INR 42,000||INR 60,000|
|Top Recruiters||ING-Vysya, HSBC Bank, TCS, Infosys, Cognizant, Wipro, IBM, Accenture, etc.||Wipro, TCS, Deutsche Bank, Bank of India, Panasonic, Dr. Reddy’s, etc.||Ecom Express, Tech Mahindra, Capgemini, Infosys, Sutherland, IFB, JustDial, etc.|
|Average Placement Package||INR 4,20,000||INR 3,60,000||INR 3,08,000|
MA Animation: Distance Education
Candidates who want to pursue this course online, they have to take up this course in correspondence. There are some colleges that provide distance education in M.A. in Animation. Here is a list of colleges that offers M.A. in Animation in correspondence:
MA Animation: Course Syllabus
After taking admission to M.A. Animation course, students are required to study the subjects mentioned in the table below:
|Unit 1: The Grammar of Visual Design||Unit 11: Digital Sculpting II|
|Unit 2: History of Art: From Caves to Computers||Unit 12: 2D Animation Project|
|Unit 3: Drawing of Motion||Unit 13: Digital Light and Shade|
|Unit 4: Techniques of Animation||Unit 14: Acting for Animators|
|Unit 5: Digital Sculpting I||Unit 15: Animation Controls and Character Motion II|
|Unit 6: Semester Ending Project I||Unit 16: Art of Special Effects|
|Unit 7: Digital Strokes||Unit 17: Media Ethics and Education|
|Unit 8: From Scribbles to Images||Unit 18: 3D Character Animation Project III|
|Unit 9: Animation Controls and Character Motion I||Unit 19: Internship|
|Unit 10: Elemental Magic for Visual Effects||Unit 20: Final Thesis Project|
MA Animation: Course Comparison
The key course comparisons between MA Animation and MA Graphic Design are mentioned below.
|Parameters||MA Animation||MA Graphic Design|
|Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Focus Area||The animation is a method in which figures are manipulated to appear as moving images. Animators are artists who specialize in creating animation. Students interested in video games, motion graphics, user interfaces and visual effects should opt for this course.||Graphic design is a craft where professionals create visual content to communicate messages. By applying visual hierarchy and page layout techniques, designers use typography and pictures to meet users’ specific needs. Students who are interested in getting expertise in the field of Graphic Design and are interested in digital image-making should go for this course.|
|Examination Type||Semester Type||Semester Type|
|Eligibility||B. Tech/B.A. in relevant stream||B. Tech/B.A. in relevant stream|
|Admission||Entrance Examination followed by personal interview||Entrance Examination followed by personal interview|
|Average Course Fee||INR 42,000 to INR 78,000||INR 78,000 to INR 1,50,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||St. Joseph College of Communication, Gaming Industry, FIT, News Channels etc.||MADA Fashion Institute, FIT, News Channels etc.|
|Job Profiles||Teacher, Lecturer, Texture Artist, Flash Animator, 3D Graphic Artist, Web Designer, Video Game Designer, etc.||Teacher, Lecturer, Graphic Designer, Freelance Designer, Picture Editor, Design Manager etc.|
|Average Package||INR 2,00,000 to INR 6,00,000||INR 2,00,000 to INR 6,00,000|
MA Animation: Recommended Books
|Name of the book||Author of the book|
|The Animator's Survival Kit||Richard Williams|
|Cartoon Animation||Preston Blair|
|The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation||Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston.|
|Character Animation Crash Course!||Eric Goldberg|
|Timing for Animation||John Halas and Harold Whitaker|
For M.A. in Animation, the software is just as useful as books as it is an ever-expanding field. Some of the software students should be familiar with are as follows:
- Adobe Animate
- Toon Boom
- Adobe Flash
MA Animation: Job Profile
M.A. Animation course provides a chance for students to do something of their choice i.e., Gaming and Animation. This course enhances the student’s creativity and logical skills, thus making the course quite beneficial.
Careers in animation are highly competitive. Therefore, an M.A. Animation degree can help students secure positions over those with only a bachelor's degree. Students may also see the growth of jobs available for digital animators as technology continues to develop. Many students pursue jobs in traditional media like cinema and television, but much work can be found in online arenas as well.
Some career positions include web designer, digital advertiser, video game designer, digital animator, etc. Students can also opt for various other jobs such as teaching Animation or becoming a Texture Artist, Flash Animator, 3D Graphic Artist, etc. A person holding M.A. Animation could work in the following profiles:
- Digital Animator
- Web Designer
- Digital Advertiser
- Video Game Designer
- Lecturer or Teacher
- Texture Artist
- Flash Animator
- Layout Artist
- 3D Graphic Artist
- Graphic Designer
- Storyboard Artist
A list of top recruiting companies with recruitments for M.A. Animation is given below:
- St. Joseph College of Communication
- Gaming Industry
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary (INR)|
|Teacher/ Lecturer||By pursuing this career path, candidates can become teachers or lecturers of Animation and impart their knowledge on the field.||INR 3,00,000 to INR 6,00,000|
|Texture Artist||A Texture Artist is an individual who develops textures for digital media, more likely for video games than others.||INR 2,40,000 to INR 4,00,000|
|Flash Animator||The job of a Flash Animator is to make animated films using various Animation software such as CGI, stop frame, green screen, etc.||IN 3,00,000 to INR 6,00,000|
|3D Graphic Artist||3D Graphic Artist is an individual who uses computer and film technology to create still or moving 3D creations.||INR 4,00,000 to INR 6,00,000|
The demand for animators is growing rapidly. It is not limited to one particular field in the entertainment industry anymore. The average salary offered to M.A. Animation graduates ranges from INR 1,80,000 to INR 50,000 per month. The average salary offered depends mostly on the college, degree, experience and knowledge of the student. Students seeking an exciting career with a sure shot job should opt for this course.
MA Animation: Future Scope
This course is best suited for those students who wish to deepen their knowledge of animation, create visually engaging worlds and breathe life into characters. Whether your aim is to be an independent animated filmmaker, a character animator, storyteller or designer – the career scope is vast for this course. M.A. Animation graduates are in great demand which exceeds just the entertainment industry. Animation courses are a good choice of VFX and virtual visualization of the big screen is on the rise. Candidates who pursue animation courses can get amazing job opportunities in entertainment, IT as well as the advertising industry. Students can discover a vast range of approaches to animation, including technical and conceptual. They have the opportunity to produce short-form animation across 2D & 3D using different software.
Candidates interested in Animation can also opt for the following courses:
- B.A. in Animation & Multimedia
- B.A. in Animation and CG Arts
- B.Sc. in Animation & Multimedia
- B.A. in Animation and Graphic Design
- Diploma in CG Animation
- B.Sc. in Animation and Gaming
- Diploma in Animation and Filmmaking
- Diploma in 3D Animation
- Diploma in Animation and VFX
- Diploma in Digital Animation
- Diploma in Animation, Video Editing and Post Production work
- Diploma in VFX
Courses similar to M.A. Animation are as follows:
- Graphic Designing, the art, profession and academic discipline whose activity consists in projecting visual communications intended to transmit specific messages to social groups, with specific objectives.
- Computer Animation, the process used for digitally generating animated images. The more general term computer-generated imagery (CGI) encompasses both static scenes and dynamic images, while computer animation only refers to moving images.
- Filmmaking, the fundamental aspects of the art and craft of making movies. Ideal for an aspiring Filmmaker.
- Visual effects, (sometimes abbreviated VFX), the process by which imagery is created or manipulated outside the context of a live-action shot in filmmaking and video production.
MA Animation: FAQs
Ques: What is the M.A. Animation course about?
Ques: Where can I apply for jobs with M.A. Animation degree?
Ques: What are the eligibility criteria for admission to M.A. Animation course?
Ques: What is the fee structure of M.A. Animation course?
Ques: What is the scope of M.A. Animation course in India?
Ques: What is the average salary of a person with a M.A. Animation degree?
Ques: What are the job roles available for a candidate after M.A. Animation?