MDS in Conservative Dentistry is a 3-year master's degree course with 6 semesters. The course is being offered full time/part-time, based on the student's interest.
It deals with the study of diagnosis, elimination, and treatment of problems related to teeth, gum, oral hygiene, and related.
The course is designed for interested candidates who want a career in oral health as dentists/dental hygienist/orthopedist/medical coordinator, etc.
A graduate completing a Bachelor's Degree in Dental Surgery with an aggregate of 55% marks from any Dental Council of India approved College/Institute, is eligible for MDS in Conservative Dentistry.
The admission into this course is offered through candidates performance in the entrance exam followed by the personal interview or group discussion rounds. Candidates should qualify NEET MDS and INI CET in order to be eligible for the admission.
After the completion of the course, one can get careers in govt/private hospitals/private clinics/health services in Military/research line/lectureship in medical colleges/universities, etc.
AIIMS, Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Science, Government Dental College & Hospital are one of the top colleges offering this course. The average fee charged for this course in India ranges from INR 2 Lakhs to INR 20 Lakhs.
The average annual initial salary offered to such postgraduates in India ranges between INR 3 and 9 Lacs, depending upon the candidate’s expertise in the field.
MDS in Conservative Dentistry: Course Highlights
|Course name|Full form||Master of Dental Surgery in Conservative Dentistry|
|Eligibility||BDS with 50% marks| Entrance exam score|Work Experience|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam/merit list/work experience|
|Course Fees||INR 2,00,000-20,00,000|
|Job Prospects||Dentist/Dental Hygienist/Medical Assistant/Research Assistant/Professor|
|Average Salary||INR 3,00,000-9,00,000|
MDS in Conservative Dentistry: Admission Process
The admission is provided based on candidates performance in the entrance exams, conducted at National, state or institute level. The general admission criteria is as follows:-
- Registration: First register on the college/university’s official website, and save the given ID and password for future use.
- Fill the Form: Login to the admission portal of the website by using the given ID and password. Fill all the necessary details in the application form.
- Upload documents: Upload relevant documents like ID proof, UG/10+2 certificates, passport-sized photos, digital signature, etc.
- If you belong to the reserved category give the document proofs to avail various facilities.
- Provide proof of other desired documents like internship certificates/work experience etc.
- Finally, proceed to pay the fee.
MDS in Conservative Dentistry: Eligibility Criteria
- Must have finished 10+2 levels of education, and a bachelor’s degree (BDS) with 55% minimum aggregate marks(50% for reserved category students).
- Graduation from any Institute approved by DCI (Dental Council of India).
- Must appear in the entrance exam, conducted by the state/central govt/college/university.
- An internship or minimum of one year of work experience is required for most of the reputed medical colleges/universities.
- The candidates who are expecting the results of the bachelor's programme final year exam are eligible for the course.
- A personal interview/group discussion, testing candidates' aptitude for various skills will be held during the counselling process.
- The final decision will be made by considering all the criteria mentioned above.
MDS in Master of Dental Surgery: Entrance Exams
- Conducted by- NBE
- Eligibility- Bachelor's degree in BDS, 1-year internship, no minimum mark criteria
- Time- 3 hour
- Total number of questions- 240
- +4 for each correct answer & -1 for the wrong answer
- Online mode exam
- Official website- nbe.edu.in
- Conducted by - AIIMS New Delhi
- Eligibility - BDS degree, 1-year internship.
- Time - 3 Hours
- Total Questions- 200
The important dates for the entrance exams are as follow:-
|Exam Name||Conducting Body||Registration Date||Exam Date|
|INI CET||AIIMS New Delhi||March 1, 2021 - March 31, 2021||TBA|
How to prepare for the MDS in conservative Dentistry Entrance Exam?
- Being Fast and Steady- The best time to start preparation is 10/12 months before the exam. Students often start when they are doing their internships.
- Gathering up all information- Know your exam. Know everything about your exam; important date, syllabus, cut-off marks, exam time, question type/pattern, etc.
- Study Material- The next step is to collect materials for the study. As there will be courses to cover outside your grad school curriculum, make sure to collect them before starting preparation.
Some helpful books to prepare for the MDS entrance exam-
- Dental Pulse
- Dental Explorer
- Dentist by Dr Gowrishankar
- Dental Bytes
- Neeraj Wahdwan’s AIPG Solved 10 Year Papers
- Dental Spectrum etc
- Strategy plan- Make a strategic plan on how to study/how much to study/how much time to spend on study/how to balance study hour and work hour etc.
- Building a clear funda- Focus on clearing fundamentals. Your preparation should be qualitative than quantitative. Sometimes Studying more can create more confusion.
- Taking Notes- Taking notes while covering lengthy chapters can be useful in revision time, and can save a lot of time. So make sticky notes or highlight important points.
- Revision- Revise again and again until you feel confident. This way you can get a stronghold on your subjects.
- Self-Evaluation- Check how much/how well you know things by taking small tests or quizzes. It's the best way to enhance valued preparation.
- Mock Tests- Doing mock tests a hundredth time is very important to find out your strong and weak points. Also, do previous years questions to strengthen your preparations.
- Coaching- It's a good way as it guides you thoroughly and also teaches you how to manage time.
- A Positive Attitude- At last don't lose your focus and stay positive. Free your time from other worries, take a walk, or some rest when you feel stressed.
MDS in Conservative Dentistry: How to get admission to a good College?
- The first one must complete his/her 10+2 education.
- A bachelor's degree in Dental Surgery or equivalent field with 50% aggregate marks in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, etc as subjects.
- One must graduate from an MCI approved college/institute.
- NEET MDS or INI CET exam score is a must.
- One year internship or some work experience is a must as most of the top colleges require it.
- Good performance in personal interviews and group discussion.
- The final result will be decided on academic record, entrance exam score, and interview performance.
- There are also many facilities for reserved category students.
MDS in Conservative Dentistry: What is it About?
- MDS in Conservative Dentistry is a 3-year postgraduate medical course for graduate dentists who want a career in specialization research/teaching/practice etc.
- The course curriculum deals with the study of Dental diseases, how to detect problems with teeth/gum, aesthetics, and overall good health of teeth.
- Anatomy/pathology/physiology/dental material, etc are some of the aspects of MDS in conservative dentistry.
- A bachelor's degree in Dental Surgery with 50% marks (45% for sc/st students), PCM BIO as subjects, from an MCI recognized University/Institute; NEET/NEET MDS etc score; work experience, are the eligibility criteria for the course.
- The average fee for MDS in Conservative Dentistry ranges from INR 1,00,000 to INR 20,00,000.
- After the completion of the course, one gets jobs in Govt./private health sectors/hospitals/community health care centres etc, as dentists/oral surgeon/research fellow/medical assistant etc.
- The average salary is INR 5,06,000.
Why study MDS in Conservative Dentistry?
- MDS in Conservative Dentistry carries practical aspects in the detection, prevention, and treatment of dental caries and related problems, with the right procedures and techniques to ensure the full function and overall health of teeth.
- The course also carries big importance for higher studies. One can do PhD courses after a masters degree.
- For teaching profession/lectureship in dental colleges/universities MDS in Conservative Dentistry; a dentist/dental hygienist/oral surgeon/research assistant, etc. is a good choice.
- The candidates who want to develop skills like, critical mind in reading, writing, and understanding scientific literature can do the course.
MDS in Conservative Dentistry: Course Comparison
The details of Course comparison between MDS in Conservative Dentistry and MDS in Oral Medicine and Radiology.
|Parameters||MDS in Conservative Dentistry||MDS in Oral Medicine and Radiology|
|Duration||3 years||3 years|
|Focus Area||Overall Dental Health||Overall Oral Health|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam/merit list/counselling process||Entrance exam/merit list|
|Eligibility||Bachelor's degree in Dental Surgery with 50% marks||Bachelor's Degree in Dental Science with 55% marks|
|Average Course Fee||INR 1,00,000-20,00,000||INR 50,000-24,00,000|
|Job Options||Dental Surgeon, Dental Hygienist, Medical Assistant, Lab Assistant/Lecturer/Research Assistant etc.||Oral surgeon, Dental hygienist, Oral Pathologist, dental surgeon, lab technician, Professor, etc.|
|Areas of Employment||Govt/Private Hospitals and clinics, Public health centres, Health Ministry, Military Health sectors etc.||Govt/Private Hospitals and clinics, Health Ministry, Military Health sectors etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 3,00,000-9,00,000||INR 3,03,000|
MDS in Conservative Dentistry: Top Colleges
Tabular list of the top colleges for MDS in Conservative Dentistry.
|Rank||College name||Average fee||Average Salary|
|1 for Medical by NIRF (2020)||AIIMS New Delhi||INR 2027||INR 3,13,000|
|1 for dental by NIRF (2020)||Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Science(MAIDS), New Delhi||INR 15,000||INR 6,15,000|
|5 for Dental by NIRF (2020)||A B Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Science, Karnataka||INR 10,08,000||INR 2,69,000|
|6 for dental by NIRF (2020)||Manipal College of Dental Science, Karnataka||INR 17,06,000||INR 3,80,000|
|7 for Dental by India Today (2020)||Government Dental College & Hospital, Mumbai||INR 84,00,000||INR 4,50,000|
|9 for Dental by NIRF (2020)||SRM Dental College, Chennai||INR 13,05,000||INR 5,50,000|
|15 for Dental by NIRF (2020)||Pt Bhagwat Dayal Sharma Post Graduate Institute of Medical Science, Rohtak||INR 21,53,000||INR 4,06,000|
|23 for Dental by NIRF (2020)||Army College of Dental Science, Secunderabad||INR 5,52,000||INR 5,80,000|
|26 for Dental by NIRF (2020)||SDM College of Dental Science and Hospital, Karnataka||INR 12,25,000||INR 4,03,000|
|50 overall by NIRF 2020||King George’s Medical University, Lucknow||INR 1,08,000||INR 6,00,000|
|Maratha Mandal’s Nathajirao G. Halgekar Institute of Dental Sciences & Research Centre, Karnataka||INR 10,50,000||INR 4,66,000|
|-||Dr NTR University of Health Sciences, Vijayawada||INR 2,67,000||INR 3,50,000|
MDS in Conservative Dentistry: College Comparison
The details of the comparison data between the two colleges.
|College name||Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Science(MAIDS), New Delhi||SRM Dental College, Chennai, Tamil nadu|
|Overview||Established in 2003|Public College|Approved by Delhi University|1st medical college to receive FICCI excellence award|Offers BDS & MDS courses.||Established in 1996|Affiliated to SRM University of Health Sciences|` A++' Accreditation by the NAAC|an ISO 9001:2008 certified Institution|Recognized by DCI|Offers BDS, MDS, and PhD. Courses.|
|Ranking||1 for Dental by NIRF (2020)||9 for Dental by NIRF (2020)|
|Average Fee||INR 15,000||INR 13,05,000|
|Job Areas||Govt/private hospitals/public health centres/college/University/military health service etc.||Govt/private hospitals/public health centres/college/University/military health service etc.|
|Job Profiles||Dentist/Dental hygienists/oral surgeon/lecturer/research assistant etc||Dentist/Oral Hygienist/Dental Surgeon /Professor/ research assistant etc.|
|Average salary||INR 6,15,000||INR 5,50,000|
MDS in Conservative Dentistry: Syllabus
Syllabus table for MDS in Conservative dentistry course.
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Applied Anatomy of Head & Neck End||Endodontics 1|
|Conservative Dentistry 1||Conservative Dentistry 2|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Essay||Clinical Exercise 1|
|Pulp capping: Direct/ Indirect on extracted teeth||Instrumentation and Obturation of root canal space|
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Clinical Exercise 2||Clinical Exercise 3|
|Exercises on tooth preparation, base and varnish application, and wedge placement and amalgam restoration||Root Canal Access Preparation|
MDS in Conservative Dentistry: Important Books
|Oral Histology Embryology||Ten Cate|
|Disorders of TMJ and Occlusion||Okeson|
|Clinical Manipulation of Dental Materials||Smith|
|General Surgery||S Das|
|Handbook of Oral Disease: Diagnosis and Management||Crispian Scully|
|Contemporary Orthodontics||William R. Proffit|
|Community Dentistry||Soben Peters|
|Tooth Morphology Anatomy and occlusion||Ash and Wheeler|
MDS in Conservative Dentistry: Job Prospects
- After completion of MDS in Conservative Dentistry, there are many career opportunities in dental services in various hospitals, nursing homes, private dental clinics and related health departments, dentists, oral surgeons, medical experts, Medical colleges, etc.
- Self-employment through establishing your private clinic is also a good career field.
- Candidates also can research new developments related to dental health in university/hospitals etc.
After completion of MDS in Conservative Dentistry, one can get jobs in the fields of
- Colleges & Universities
- Community Healthcare SService
- Dental Hospitals
- Schemes in Government
- Health Ministry
- Military health care
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Dentist||Dentists are medical healthcare professionals who focus specifically on the dental and oral hygiene of patients. Dentists typically examine the oral and dental hygiene of patients, by offering advice, or carrying out surgeries.||INR 3 to 10 Lacs|
|Medical Coordinator||Medical Coordinators schedule surgeries and complete associated paperwork. They prepare surgical files, and ensure that patient information is obtained correctly and filed properly. Also, they schedule patients for appointments and tests, and ensure that follow up calls are made in a timely manner, take telephone calls and provide callers with information on specific services of the medical office, etc.||INR 3 to 7.5 Lacs|
|Operations Manager||Operations Managers oversee the production of goods and/ or provision of services. They are responsible for making sure that an organization is running as well as it possibly can, with a smooth efficient service that meets the expectations and needs of customers and clients.||INR 4 to 9 Lacs|
|Dental Lab Technician||Dental Lab Technicians are professionally responsible for replacing partial or total loss of natural teeth by constructing partial or full dentures (metal and non-metal). They restore natural teeth by fabricating crowns and bridges, and correct dental irregularities by manufacturing fixed or removable appliances, etc.||INR 3 to 6 Lacs|
|Researcher||While projects are in the planning stages, Researchers work with team members to identify project goals, research methods, variables, and other test parameters. They also choose how to collect data and offer recommendations on evaluating the project.||INR 3.5 to 8 Lacs|
|Lecturer||Lecturers undertake teaching, research and administrative duties within a specialist subject area. Typical responsibilities of the job include encouraging personal development via tutorial or theoretical work, invigilating examinations, etc.||INR 3 to 7 Lacs|
|Training Manager||Training Managers are professionally responsible for working across a range of departments to get employees up-to-speed in both their specific vertical, and the overall needs of the company. Training Managers’ responsibilities include working to enhance employees' skills, performance, productivity, and quality of work.||INR 3 to 6 Lacs|
MDS in Conservative Dentistry: Future Scope
- After MDS in Conservative Dentistry, there are numerous job opportunities in government and private health sectors/Health service in Military/Hospitals/private clinics/dental College/institutes etc.
- One can also go for further higher studies as there are various PhD programmes for this purpose.
- One can also get self-employed by setting up his/her dental clinic.
- Different Fellowship programmes are also available after MDS in Conservative Dentistry.
MDS in Conservative Dentistry: FAQS
Ques. What is MDS in Conservative Dentistry?
Ques. What are the eligibility criteria for MDS in Conservative Dentistry?
Ques. What are the entrance examinations for MDS in Conservative Dentistry?
Ques. What is the maximum age to be eligible for entrance exams for MDS in Conservative Dentistry?
Ques. What are the Top Colleges for MDS in Conservative Dentistry?
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, AIIMS, New Delhi
- Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Science(MAIDS), New Delhi
- Manipal College of Dental Science, Mangalore
- SDM College of Dental Science and Hospital, Sattur, Dharwad, Karnataka
- Government Dental College & Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- King George’s Medical University, Lucknow
Ques. What is the average fee for MDS in Conservative Dentistry course?
Ques. What are the career scopes in MDS in Conservative Dentistry?
Ques. What is the average salary for MDS in Conservative Dentistry?
Ques. What are the future scopes after MDS in Conservative Dentistry?
Ques. Are there any facilities available for sc/st candidates?