MDS or Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Pedodontics) is a 3-year postgraduate program of dental studies. Pedodontics is a paediatric branch in dentistry, which deals with diagnosing & treatment of oral health and all kinds of dental diseases in children from the time of birth until he/she is an adult.
The minimum eligibility criteria to get admission in MDS (Pedodontics) is to have pursued a BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) graduation program from a recognized college/university or institute perceived by the Dental Council of India (DCI) with a minimum of 55% marks. Also, the candidates need to clear the entrance exams that are conducted by every medical college under the guidance of the state/national government.
See More: MDS Dental Surgery
Admission to this course is selective and is done by both merit and entrance tests. However, some institutions might take an interview before giving admission.
Some of the major subjects included in the MDS Pedodontics syllabus are Nutrition and Dietetic, Microbiology & Immunology as related to –Oral Diseases in Children, Paediatric Endodontics, Traumatic Injuries in Children, Interceptive Orthodontics, Oral Habits in Children, Cariology, Dental Radiology, etc.
After completion of MDS Pedodontics, candidates can find job roles as Dental surgeon, Dental Assistant, Dental hygienist, Consultant, Professor, Public health specialists, Forensics, Private practitioners, Oral pathologists, Medical representatives, Clinical Microbiologist, etc.
The Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Pedodontics) candidates get tons of opportunities in the top sectors like Dental hospitals, Nursing homes, Treatment centres, Military Services, Private Clinics, Medical Writing, etc. The average salary of this program starts with INR 4,00,000 to INR 12,00,000 LPA.
MDS Pedodontics: Course Highlights
Few of the highlights of this course are given below:
|Full Form||Master of Dental Surgery in Pedodontics.|
|Admission Process||Entrance test or merit based|
|Subjects||Nutrition and Dietetic, Microbiology & Immunology as related to –Oral Diseases in Children, Paediatric Endodontics, Traumatic Injuries in Children, Interceptive Orthodontics, Oral Habits in Children, Cariology, Dental Radiology|
|Salary||INR 200,000 to INR 12,00,000|
|Recruitment Areas||Dental hospitals, Nursing homes, Treatment centres, Military Services, Private Clinics, Medical Writing|
|Job Positions||Dental surgeon, Dental Assistant, Dental hygienist, Consultant, Professor, Public health specialists, Forensics, Private practitioners, Oral pathologists, Medical representatives, Clinical Microbiologist|
Do I qualify for MDS Pedodontics eligibility Criteria?
The common eligibility criteria for Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Pedodontics) is written below:
- The basic eligibility criteria for MDS Pedodontics course is to have a graduation degree of BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery).
- The minimum aggregate mark required for the program is 55%.
- Candidates with supplementary will be prohibited to go through the admission process.
- It is necessary to complete one year of internship with the proofed certification before joining the MDS program.
- MDS entrance exams need to be cleared with estimated passing marks to get admission to a well-reputed medical college.
What is the MDS Pedodontics Admission Process
Admissions in MDS courses are also done through both merit and entrance exams.
Many medical colleges and institutes conduct a direct admission process based on the merit score of the candidates. The merit-based admission process is conducted by both the processes online and offline. Below mentioned are the admission process of merit basis how candidates can apply for the Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Pedodontics) course:
- Candidates can visit the official admission portal of their desired college or institute or can visit the office for the offline admission process.
- The application details can be filled in as per the guidelines of the college.
- The selection process is done based on the candidate’s merit marks or for reserved category candidates to get some relief.
Entrance Exam Based Admission
- Registration: Generally, colleges release application dates before the examination date on their official websites or college notice boards. The registration process can be fulfilled just by filling in the right information like name, address, email I’d, contact number, etc.
- Fill up details: Candidates’ details need to be genuine and have proof to prove it with documents, which may need in the further admission process.
- Submit documents: Documents that need to be submitted during the registration process need to be scanned properly so that it gets the exact details of the candidates.
- Application fee: The application fee payment process has got updated with modern digital payment modes. With one click fess can be paid easily.
- Download Admit Card: After all the registration process, candidates need to take the printout of the application which will help to get an entry in the examination hall.
- Examination: For examination, candidates can refer to well-known editors reference books or can practice past years examination question papers.
- Results: After two to three weeks of the exam, results get declared. Qualified candidates can further go through the admission process.
- Counseling & Admission: In the counseling process, the priority is given to the merit marks holder first, then followed by the remaining candidates. During counseling, candidates can select their stream and college.
What is the top MDS Pedodontics Entrance Exams?
To get admission into the Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Pedodontics) program, candidates have to clear the exam first. Some colleges accept the national-level entrance exams while some conduct their own state-level entrance exams.
Listed below are some of the common and popular MDS Pedodontics entrance exams.
- NEET MDS: National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test is conducted by the National Board of Examination (NBE). It is the only single entrance exam for MDS in India to avail admission in government, state, and private colleges/institutes.
- AIIMS PG: It is conducted by the All India Institute of Medical Science, New Delhi. AIIMS PG is the national entrance exam for the courses like MD/MS (6 years), MDS/DM/M.Ch (3 years). Every year in January and July this exam is held. Candidates who qualify for this exam get the opportunity for admission to any AIIMS campus.
- AIPGDEE: All India Post Graduate Dental Entrance Exams (AIPGDEE) is a national-level entrance exam conducted by AIIMS, New Delhi. The AIPGDEE is held only once a year, which is applicable for all medical colleges in India.
The List of Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Pedodontics) entrance exam application details for the above-mentioned examinations is mentioned in the table below.
|Examination||Application Date||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|NEET MDS||26th Oct-15th Nov 2020||16th Dec 2020||Online|
|AIIMS PG||9 March – 28 March||Stage 1: Apr 3, 2021 Stage 2: Apr 19 to 21 Apr 2021||Online|
|AIPGDEE||Oct. – Dec 2021(Tentative)||Last week of Dec 2021 (Tentative)||Offline|
|PGIMER||Sept. – Nov. 2021(Tentative)||Last week of Nov. 2021 (Tentative)||Online|
Alert: AIIMS PG registrations are going till 28 March.
All you need to know about AIIMS PG:
MDS Pedodontics: Entrance Exam Preparation Tips
Candidates seeking admission in the Master of Dental Surgery need to clear the entrance exam first. While some colleges allow direct admission based on merit marks. Below mentioned are some tips to clear the examination.
- Go through the reference books: Multiple books are specially edited to clear particular examinations. Candidates need to find which writer’s edition is the best to clear that particular exam. To score well in examinations, candidates need to refer to multiple books.
- Prepare a Time Table: Preparing a timetable and following it strictly will always help the candidates to crack any examinations. Always keep the tough subjects at priority and this will lead the candidates to a good college.
- Time Management: Time management is the most important part when candidates are preparing for examinations. From daily preparation to attending the exam, time management will always work. Divide your time with subjects and continue the preparation.
- Refer to Past Years Paper: Referring to past years papers always work. From those papers, candidates get an idea of how to prepare and which subjects to give importance to. Half of the preparation gets completed when candidates go for past year’s question papers.
- Solve Sample Papers and Mock Tests: Solving sample papers and attending mock tests is the best way to prepare for any entrance exams. It will help the candidates to know their weaknesses and can cover the subject in a sufficient time.
Why should you do MDS Pedodontics?
Below given are the points on why the candidates should study MDS Pedodontics.
- The study of this program helps the candidate to gain adequate knowledge of diseases related to tooth, jaw, and other facial tissues, dental science to deal with oral health.
- MDS Pedodontics degree holders have great career options in any government or private medical center.
- Candidates can go for fellowship dental courses in Head and neck oncology from MDS with maxillofacial surgery doctors and other specialists.
- Candidates with this program and practices/internship along with the program can find endless career opportunities in both government and private sectors.
- Candidates can also choose a career of becoming a lecturer in a medical college as per their passion and interests.
- Pedodontic Dentistry itself says that dental problems in children. Treating children is completely different from treating adults. Because, no matter what treatment it is, a day in a dental clinic is always a traumatic situation for kids.
MDS Pedodontics: Course Advantages
- MDS Pedodontics is a postgraduate degree for those candidates who have graduated with a Bachelor in Paediatric Dentistry. The program is for 3 years with in-depth knowledge of dental problems in children.
- MDS provides candidates training in different parts of dentistry. The main purpose of the program is to train the candidates with every dentistry aspect and make them a specialist in it.
- The MDS program prepares candidates in both aspects as a practitioner and consultant in Pedodontics.
- MDS Pedodontics degrees are authorized by the Dental Council of India (DCI). It offers various programs related to dental including Periodontology, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, Orthodontics and Oral Medicine, and Radiology.
MDS Pedodontics: Course Comparison
Below given is a course comparison of MDS Pedodontics and MDS Prosthodontics on the basis of a few parameters that will help the students select the best course for themselves.
Also, checkout: Top Colleges MDS Prosthodontics Courses
|Parameters||Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Pedodontics)||Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Prosthodontics)|
|Duration||3 Years||3 Years|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance Test/Merit-based||Entrance Test/Merit-based|
|Eligibility Criteria||Minimum 55% marks at graduation level||Minimum 55% marks at graduation level|
|Average Courses Fees||INR 5,000 TO INR 15,00,000 LPA||INR 1,00,000 TO INR 6,00,000 LPA|
|Average Placement Package||INR 4,00,000 to 12,00,000 LPA||INR 7,00,000 to 8,00,000 LPA|
|Area Of Employment||Manipal College of Dental Sciences, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., etc.||Dental Hospitals, Nursing Homes, Private Medicals, Private Clinics, Military Services, Medical Writings, etc.|
|Job Positions||Dental surgeon, Dental Assistant, Dental hygienist, Consultant, Professor, Private practitioners, Oral Pathologist, etc.||Dental surgeon, Dental Assistant, Dental hygienist, Medical Representative, etc.|
MDS Pedodontics: Top Colleges
Many colleges are offering this course in India. Some of the top colleges offering this course are listed below –
|Institute of Medical Science, BHU||INR 1.9 LPA|
|Manipal College of Dental Science||INR 28 LPA|
|Nair Hospital Dental College||INR 2.84 LPA|
|Government Dental College and Hospital, Mumbai||INR 2.96 LPA|
|Dr. Ahmed Dental College and Hospital||INR 31,200|
|Government Dental College and Hospital, Nagpur||INR 2.96 LPA|
|Christian Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana||INR 17.55 LPA|
MDS Pedodontics: College Comparison
The following table depicts the comparison made among the top three MDS Colleges in India.
|Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Science||King George Medical University||Post-graduate Institute of Dental Science|
|Parameter||Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Science||King George Medical University||Post-graduate Institute of Dental Science|
|Objective||It is the first medical college to get the FICCI excellence award.||The college is one of the oldest medical colleges in India. Its alumni spread all over the country.||The Institute is accredited by ‘A’ grade by NAAC. Affiliated with Pt B H Sharma University of Health and Science|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 16,480||INR 2.8 LPA||INR 1.56 LPA|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 9.26 LPA||INR 8 LPA||INR 7 LPA|
MDS Pedodontics: Tips to get Best College
Getting admission to top colleges is a long process, which needs to be executed properly at an appropriate time. Candidates willing to enter the top colleges need to prepare for it to grab the opportunity. Here, the below-mentioned points may lead the candidates to get admission to top colleges.
- Research about the college
It’s a fact that top colleges/institutes always prefer top candidates, who are brilliant in academics or other traditional and cultural activities. To maintain the dignity of the college, they do so. Candidates seeking admission to a top college have to prepare themselves first with good academics. Before planning, research thoroughly about the colleges and their demands.
- Find the right college for yourself
Most of the Medical colleges provide dental courses but still, candidates have to find the right college for themselves as per their specialized streams. Some colleges may be known for dental studies only, where they can choose for their subject of studies.
- Meet the deadlines or apply early
Candidates always need to remember that multiple candidates are seeking the same college with the same course. Once the application notification gets released, candidates need to apply as soon as possible. They have to avoid last-minute applications, whether for online or offline admission processes.
- Talk to seniors or ex-students
The insights of the college always come from seniors or ex-students. These reviews are always genuine, which may help the candidates to know the exact environment of the college and its placement services as well. Seniors may also help in the admission process.
- The entire application process shall be completed
Before going through the application process, candidates need to visit the official site of the college and check the guidelines. Once the application process starts it should get completed by the end. Leaving the process in between may lead to disrupted services, which may later be difficult to complete.
MDS Pedodontics: Syllabus
Here is the common syllabus for Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] (Pedodontics) that is studied in almost every MDS program.
|Paper –I||Paper-II||Paper –III|
|Applied Basic Sciences||Clinical Paedodontics||Preventive and Community Dentistry|
|Applied Anatomy||Conscious, Deep Sedation and General Anesthesia in Pediatric Dentistry||Child Psychology|
|Physiology||Gingival and Periodontal Diseases in Children||Behavior management|
|Pathology||Oral habits in Children||Child abuse and dental neglect|
|Microbiology||Traumatic Injuries in Children||Preventive Pedodontics|
|Nutrition & Dietetics||Dental Radiology||Cardiology|
|Growth and Development||Congenital Abnormalities in Children||Fluorides|
|Dental Plaque||Management of minor oral surgical procedures in children||Epidemiology|
|Genetics||Setting up Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry Clinic||Comprehensive infant oral health care/comprehensive|
Note: Medical colleges syllabus can vary from college to college.
MDS Pedodontics: Recommended Books
Below given are the names of a few books that every student pursuing MDS Pedodontics must have these books as their study material.
|Textbook for Paediatric Dentistry||Nikhil Marwah|
|Principles and practice of Pedodontics||Arathi Rao|
|Essentials of Paediatric Oral pathology||Mayur Chaudhary, Schweta Dixit Chaudhary|
|Paediatric Dentistry||M. S. Muthu, Shiva Kumar|
MDS Pedodontics: Job Prospects
Top Job Profile and Average Salary are given below:
|Job Profiles||Annual Salary Package in INR|
|Professor or Home Tutor||5-6 LPA|
|Dental Surgeon||10-15 LPA|
|Private Practitioner||2-4 LPA|
|Medical Representative||4-6 LPA|
Future scope after MDS Pedodontics
- After completing an MDS program candidates who have an interest in teaching can choose a career as a professor in a medical college/institute.
- MDS course provides an opportunity to start their own Dental Clinic and start practicing.
- Candidates get the opportunities to join government and private hospital services, clinics, military services, and laboratories.
- Candidates can further select a career option as a researcher and spread the awareness of new technology to medical services by pursuing for a PhD.
See Also Top PhD Dentistry Colleges in India
MDS Pedodontics: FAQs
Ques. Is doing ‘Master in Dental Surgery’ in Pedodontics is difficult?
Ans. Mastering any medical stream is difficult. It depends on the candidates how to prepare. It can be easier by proper practicing from BDS itself.
Ques. Is MDS a good career option after BDS?
Ans. MDS is a great career option after BDS. While pursuing BDS, will increase the awareness of the candidates related to dental surgery, and practicing during graduation will bring confidence in the candidates for higher studies.
Ques. Are crowns considered prosthodontics?
Ans. Yes, as crowns are included in prosthodontics. Prosthodontics is a branch of dental surgery that designs the artificial replacements of teeth and gums. Along with crowns it also includes fillings, veneers, bridges, and dental implants.
Ques. How to improve MDS in Pedodontics practical in the final year?
Ans. Few things need to be practiced by the final year students like reading, observe, practice, and clear your doubts by asking from teachers or the practitioner with whom you are interning. Also, the internet is a great source of information to clear theoretical portions.
Ques. Is there any age limit for the MDS Pedodontics post-graduate?
Ans. Yes, the minimum age of the candidate for MDS Pedodontics post-graduate is 21 years. Less than it will not be applicable to join the post-graduate program.