Master of Pharmacy or M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology is a two-year full-time postgraduate program in pharmacy. The purpose of the program is to essentially deal with biotechnology, chemical intermediates, manufacturing equipment, packaging machinery amongst others.
Know More About: Pharmacy Courses
Candidates should have completed B.Pharm degree with a minimum qualifying marks from any AICTE recognised institute in India in order to be eligible for this course. The admission is held either strictly on merit basis or the candidate's performance in the specific entrance exam on pharmacy. GPAT and NIPER JEE are the top entrance exams conducted to provide admission to this course.
Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, JSS College of Pharmacy, Bombay College of Pharmacy are some of top colleges for M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology.
The average M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology course fees vary from INR 36,000 to INR 4 lakhs per annum. The course has promising career opportunities, not just in the academic Institutions but also in various Pharmaceutical sectors.
Pharmacy postgraduates can be recruited in different pharmaceutical companies such as Dabur, Cipla, Indegene, Novartis, Dr. Reddy, Ranbaxy, Sun Pharma, Mediclin, Himalaya and many more.
The starting package offered after completion of this course could be INR 3 to 10 LPA.
M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Full Form||Master of Pharmacy in Pharmaceutical Technology|
|Duration||2 academic years|
|Examination Type||Semester or Final|
|Average Course Fee||INR 36,000 to 4 lakhs per annum|
|Eligibility Criteria||Bachelor's degree in Pharmacy or its equivalent from any recognised institution|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam or Merit based|
|Average Salary Package||INR 3 to 10 Lakhs per annum|
|Top Recruitment Companies||Dabur, Cipla, Indegene, Novartis, Dr. Reddy, Ranbaxy, Sun Pharma, Mediclin, Himalaya, Glenmark, Lupin etc.|
|Job Positions||Teacher, Lecturer, Pharmacist, Sales Manager, Quality Assurance Manager, Business Development Manager, Pharmaceutical Purchase Manager etc.|
M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology: Admission Process
The candidates willing to seek admission to M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology should follow the below mentioned details:
- If the admission process is held strictly on merit lists, the applicants should have obtained a minimum of 55% aggregate or its equivalent marks in Bachelor's degree in Pharmacy.
- The admission can also be held on the basis of the applicants' marks obtained in the relevant national or state level entrance exam, often followed by interview or group discussion rounds.
M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology: Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology is different in different institutes. Those who are aspiring to take admission to the course should fulfill the below mentioned criteria for eligibility:
- The aspirants should hold B.Pharm or its equivalent degree from any recognised institution approved by Pharmacy Council of India or All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE).
- The aspirants should have scored a minimum of 55% aggregate or its equivalent, depending on the specific institute.
- SC/ST category candidates should obtain 45% aggregate marks in graduation.
- In many of the colleges, the selected candidates are required to qualify in an entrance exam.
M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology: Entrance Exams
Many of the leading institutes in India that offer the program, conduct an entrance exam for admission. Some popular Pharmacy entrance exams are emphasized as follows:
- GPAT: This is a national level entrance test conducted each year by the National Testing Agency for admission to M.Pharm and doctorate degree programs in Pharmacy.
- NIPER JEE: It refers to another national level entrance exam which is held for the purpose of granting admission to various post graduate and doctorate courses in Pharmacy.
|Exam Name||Conducting Body||Registration date||Exam Date|
|GPAT||National Testing Agency||December 23, 2020 - January 30, 2021||February 27, 2021|
|NIPER JEE||National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research||TBA||TBA|
How to Prepare for the M.Pharm Pharmaceutical Technology Entrance Exam?
The following are some of the highly effective tips for the aspirants who would prepare for the M.Pharm Pharmaceutical Technology entrance test:
- First and foremost, the aspiring candidates should be thoroughly acquainted with all the topics to be covered in the syllabus of the entrance exam in advance.
- The candidates should refer to the previous years' question papers and note down the repeated and important questions.
- Before appearing for the actual entrance test, the candidates should appear in various mock tests or attempt model question papers so as to ensure their level of preparation.
How to Get Admission in a Good M.Pharm Pharmaceutical Technology College?
To seek admission in a reputed college offering M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology, the aspirants should follow the below mentioned strategies:
- The willing candidates should start researching online the leading institutes in India that offer the program.
- The candidates should talk to the teachers and also the seniors or former students who would be able to guide them about the course in the right manner.
- The candidates should score well in Bachelor's degree in order to get admission to a reputed institution that offers the program.
- Lastly, they ought to prepare themselves for presenting themselves well in the Pharmacy entrance exam and interview.
M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology: What is it About?
M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology is mainly a specialised program in Pharmacy that includes the following aspects:
- The course is ideal for those interested in the field of Pharmacy.
- It imparts detailed knowledge about various techniques and procedures of preparing, manufacturing, packaging and storage of drugs.
- The students also learn about the drugs used for diagnosis and treatment purposes.
- They acquire professional knowledge and skills in the field of Pharmacy.
Why study M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology?
With the expansion of hospitals and laboratories, the demand of pharmacists is increasing in India. The M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology program is ideal to make a career in the field of Pharmacy. Those who wish to pursue the course can be benefited in the following ways:
- The candidates are trained how to manufacture drugs.
- The course prepares them for further studies.
- The course has wide future scope and lucrative career opportunities.
- It prepares the candidates to start their career as a pharmacist in hospitals and different medical centres.
- They can also work in academic institutions as faculties, both in Government and private sectors.
- The course also enables them to conduct research programmes.
M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology: Course Comparison
Comparing the courses, M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology and M. Pharm in Pharmaceutical Analysis in the table as shown below:
|Parameter||M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology||M. Pharm in Pharmaceutical Analysis|
|Purpose||Deals with biotechnology, chemical intermediates, manufacturing equipment, packaging machinery etc.||Deals with the methods and techniques of using laboratory instruments during drug analysis.|
|Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Examination Type||Semester or Final||Semester|
|Eligibility Criteria||Bachelor's degree in Pharmacy or its equivalent from any recognised Institution||Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Science from a recognised Institution|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam or Merit based||Entrance Exam and counselling based|
|Average Course Fee||INR 36,000 to 4 lakhs||INR 90,000 to 7 lakhs|
|Average Salary Package||INR 3 to 10 lakhs||INR 3 to 10 lakhs|
|Top Job Areas||Clinical Research Industries, Medical Colleges and universities, Hospitals, etc.||Medical Colleges and universities, Pharmaceutical Industries, Laboratories, Chemist Stores, Clinics etc.|
|Job Types||Teacher, Lecturer, Pharmacist, Sales Manager, Quality Assurance Manager, Business Development Manager, Pharmaceutical Purchase Manager etc.||Lecturer, Biostatistician, Pharmaceutical Scientist, Regulatory Affairs Manager etc.|
M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology: Top Colleges
The top colleges and universities that offer the program are tabulated as follows:
|Nirf Ranking||Institute Name||Average Course Fee in INR||Average Annual Placement Package in INR|
|9||JSS College of Pharmacy, Tamil Nadu||5.07 Lakhs||4,80,000|
|12||Jadavpur University, Kolkata||3 Lakhs||19,96,000|
|22||Poona College of Pharmacy, Pune||2.5 Lakhs||5,50,000|
|26||Indian Institute of Technology, BHU, Varanasi||62,380||8,00,000|
|34||Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai||1.42 Lakhs||3,50,000|
|61||NSHM Knowledge Campus, Kolkata||4.05 Lakhs||2,80,000|
M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology: College Comparison
The comparison of M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology program between the top Institutes in India are made as follows:
|Parameter||Jadavpur University (JU)||JSS College of Pharmacy|
|Overview||It is one of the most renowned state level universities in India, established in 1955, Kolkata.||It is the most reputed private university founded in 1980 in the city of Ooty, Tamil Nadu.|
|Nirf Ranking||12th in Pharmacy||9th in Pharmacy|
|Courses offered||UG, PG, Ph.D and M.Phil||UG, PG, Diploma and Certificate|
|Approval and Recognition||UGC, NAAC, AIU, AICTE||Pharmacy Council of India and AICTE|
|Top Recruitment Companies||Dabur India Limited, Cipla, Sun Pharma, Jupiter, Lupin etc.||Novartis Pharma AG, Astrazeneca, Life Pharmacy, GSK, Indegene, BioClinica etc.|
M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology: Syllabus
The following semester wise topics are to be covered under the 2-year duration of M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Methods in Drug Evaluation||Research Methodology|
|Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics||Novel Drug Delivery Systems - II|
|Novel Drug Delivery Systems - I||Pharmaceutical Product Development|
|Quality Assurance, GMP and Process Validation||Pharmaceutical Production Management and Technology|
|-||Dissertation Part -I|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Drug Regulatory Affairs and Intellectual Property Rights||Dissertation Part- III|
|Dissertation Part - II||Industrial Training|
M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology: Books
The list of books along with their authors are the following:
|Name of the Books||Authors|
|Pharmaceutical Technology I||Gaurav Agarwal|
|Pharmaceutical Analysis I||Ashutosh Kar|
|Pharmaceutics: A Practical Manual||Sindhu Abraham|
|Pharmaceutical Technology II||Gaurav Agarwal|
|Handbook of Pharmaceutical Technology||Poonam Kushwaha|
|Textbook of Pharmaceutical Packaging Technology||Atul Kaushik|
M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology: Job Prospects
There are tremendous career prospects in the M.Pharm Pharmaceutical Technology program. After successful completion of the degree course, the aspirants can start their career in various Pharmaceutical companies, medical colleges, laboratories amongst others.
Areas of employment:
- Clinical Research Industries
- Medical Colleges and universities
- Pharmaceutical Industry
Available Career Options:
- Sales Manager
- Product Development Manager
- Quality Assurance Manager
- Business Development Manager
- Pharmaceutical Purchase Manager
- Pharmaceutical Subject Matter Executive
- Assistant Pharmacist
- Clinical Pharmacist
- Consultant Pharmacist
- Dispensary Pharmacist
M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology: Job Profiles with description
Tabulated below include the job profiles along with their description:
|Job Profile||Description of the Job Profile||Average Salary in INR|
|Pharmacist||To prepare and administer appropriate pharmaceuticals to the patients and to deliver professional advice and suggestions on cosmetics or parapharmaceuticals as well||8,30,000|
|Product Development Manager||To monitor the existing product line of the pharmaceutical organization, brand establishment and development and to manage products launching and strategies for pipeline products and execution.||7,40,000|
|Assistant Pharmacist||To assist the pharmacists in preparing and dispensing of medications and other pharmaceuticals to indoor patients, healthcare providers, outdoor patients and customers||6,20,000|
|Consultant Pharmacist||To ensure that their patients' medications are appropriate, effective, safe and used properly and to identify, resolve and prevent medication related issues, etc.||5,95,000|
|Clinical Pharmacist||To review patient records in order to determine the accuracy of medication therapy, communicate with nursing and other medical staff and to judge or evaluate the patients' health condition so as to ensure all issues are being treated effectively and carefully||5,80,000|
M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology: Future Scope
The future scope for the candidates who are pursuing the course is indeed abundant. The candidates, after completing the course, can work in public as well as private sectors.
Based on their skills and abilities, the candidates can be recruited in a number of Pharmaceutical or parapharmaceutical companies like Cipla, Dabur, Himalaya, Ranbaxy, Sun Pharma and many more.
The aspirants can also serve as lecturers in medical institutes. Nonetheless, the course also enables them to opt for further studies such as M.Phil or Ph.D programmes in the Pharmacy field.
- M.Phil in Pharmaceutics - It is a full-time or part-time research level post graduate program in Pharmaceutics of 1 to 2 years duration, which imparts advanced knowledge in pharmaceutical sciences. Admission to the program is strictly based on NET or SET exams.
- Ph.D in Pharmaceutics- It is basically a full time doctorate degree program of mostly 3 years duration that enables the candidates to research and investigate drugs. The admission is strictly held on national or state level entrance exams.
- M.Pharm in Pharmaceutics- It is a 2-year full time postgraduate degree course in pharmaceutical sciences that imparts advanced knowledge on how to manufacture drugs, treatment, advice and medicating patients etc. The admission process to the course is strictly held on the entrance exam.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Pharmaceutical Management - it is basically a 1 year full time program in Pharmaceutical Management, designed to impart knowledge in chemical sciences and the use of drugs most effectively. The admission can be either based on merit or entrance exam.
M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology: FAQs
Some of the most frequently asked questions with regard to M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology are as follows:
Ques. What is the basic purpose of M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology?
Ques. Who should opt for an M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology course?
Ques. What is the duration of M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology course?
Ques. What is the basic educational qualification required to pursue the course?
Ques. What is the minimum marks required to apply for the course?
Ques. What is the average fee structure of M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology course?
Ques. What is the process of seeking admission to M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology?
Ques. What entrance exams are conducted for admission to M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology?
GPAT, NIPER JEE, etc.
Ques. What are the advantages of pursuing M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Technology?
Ques. What are the top recruitment areas for the course?
Ques. What is the average salary offered to the employees?
Ques. What are the top recruitment companies in the M.Pharm Pharmaceutical Technology course?
Ques. Can someone pursue further studies in M.Pharm Pharmaceutical Technology ?