M.Tech or Master of Technology in Renewable Energy is a 2 year post graduation course which includes 4 semesters with each semester lasting for 6 months . The program aims to give students real world technical expertise in strategic renewable energy disciplines as well as depth understanding in various fields such as solar, wind energy , biogas & biomass etc.
For the eligibility criteria students are required to secure at least 50% aggregate in B.E/B.Tech from a recognized institution.( For IIT and UPES, the minimum percentage required is 60% in Bachelor’s Degree).
Check Also: MTech Renewable Energy Top Colleges
The subjects taught in the four semesters are : Fluid mechanics and Turbomachinery, Industrial Energy Management, Thermal Science Engineering , Fuel Technology, Non- Conventional Energy Sources etc with a given project in the semester end.
See More: M.Tech Courses
|Course Level||Post- Graduate|
|Full-Form||Two Years(Full Time)|
|Eligibility||Graduation from a recognized university with 55% marks (IIT and UPES 60% MARKS)|
|Admission Process||Counselling after taking the entrance examination , preferably GATE.|
|Course Fee||INR 1 to 3 Lacs|
|Average Salary||INR 3 to 8 Lacs|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Reliance Power, Hindustan Power,Power Grid Corporation,NHPC,NTPC, Adani Power, GVK power , JSW Energy , Suzlon , Green Infra, Gram Power,Tata Power Solar , SELCO India|
Do I qualify for M.Tech in Renewable Energy eligibility Criteria?
Candidates who wish to apply for the course should meet the following eligibility criteria:
- A minimum aggregate score of 55% at the level of graduation in B.E/B.Tech or equivalent subject in relevant discipline completed from a recognized institute. ( For IITs and UPES the minimum percentage required is 60% in the graduation).
- Candidates having Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical/ Electronics/ EEE/ Mechanical/ Chemical/ Aerospace/ Renewable Energy with a valid GATE score in any of the engineering disciplines are eligible for admission. Candidates with M.Sc degree in Physics / Chemistry / Material Science with minimum 55% marks .
- Candidates awaiting their final year’s exam result can apply too on a provisional basis. Admissions will be confirmed on the basis of graduation results.
Many institutes prefer students with professional experience, therefore it is advised for candidates to have a work experience of a minimum of 24 months. Also candidates with two years of relevant work are exempted from GATE score , provided their candidature is sponsored by the employer .
What is the M.Tech in Renewable Energy Admission Process
- Candidates who are willing to get admission in this stream can apply to M.Tech in Renewable Energy Colleges by both offline and online means.
- You can either reach the official website of the institute or to this step admission office of the institute to fill the admission application form.
- Fill the application form required and upload all the necessary documents which are asked in the form.
- After completion of the process of application, go for counselling round and attend the personal interview round to get your desired college.
Entrance Exam Based Admission
- Admissions in Master courses are also done through both merit and entrance exams.
- GATE, OJEE, UPSEE, TANCET, BHU PET, AP PGECET, ITM NEST, KIITEE, IPU CET, TS PGECET, KARNATAKA PGCET, BITS HD, SRMJEEE PG and more are conducted for admission in the Master's programs of top colleges in India.
- Candidates need to have completed their Masters in a Renewable Energy subject along with 50% marked to be eligible for Ph.D courses in this stream.
- Certain colleges give admission on merit basis also, after considering the CGPA or Percentage obtained in graduation.
What are the top M.Tech in Renewable Energy Entrance Exams?
- GATE Entrance Exam – The exam is conducted by IISC and seven IITs in different states where IIT colleges are situated on the behalf of National Coordination Board-GATE . The GATE-2021 will be conducted for 27 subjects and the GATE score will remain valid for three years from the date of announcement of results.The duration of the exam is 3 hours.
- TANCET - It is a state level examination conducted by Anna University.The exam is usually conducted in the month of March every year.Total no. of students who took the test were 1,10,000. The exam is conducted offline but the application mode is done online. The duration of the paper is 2 hours.
- SRMJEEE- The exam will be conducted in the first or second week of April. The online registeration will be closed on 31st March,2021. It is a computer based online test . The duration of the paper is 2 hours 30 minutes
A common list of M.Tech Entrance exams 2021 is given in the table below along with their upcoming dates :
What is the M.Tech in Renewable Energy Syllabus?
A typical M.Tech in Renewable Energy Syllabus is written below –
The table shows some of the topics taught in the course throughout the 4 years of education.
|Energy Scenario & Energy Forms|
|Fuels & Combustion|
|Instrumentaion , Control and Automation|
|Project & Financial Management in Energy Sector|
|Waste heat recovery and cogeneration|
|Solar Thermal Technologies|
|Energy conversion – thermal systems|
|Small hydropower system|
|Waste of Energy|
|Alternate Energy Technologies|
|Biomass conversion Technology|
|Energy Lab- 2|
|Solar power generation through PV route|
|Renewable Energy Policies|
|Smart and macro grid|
|Wind Energy Technology|
|Summer Internship Seminar|
Important Books for M.Tech in Renewable Energy Course?
Some of the important reference books are mentioned below:
|Name Of The Book||Author|
|Sustainable Energy||David MacKay|
What are the M.Tech in Renewable Energy Top Colleges
Many colleges are offering this course in India. Some of the top colleges offering this course are listed below –
|Name of the College||Admission Process||Average fees|
|NIT, Hamirpur||Graduation+ GATE||INR 96,025|
|University of Petroleum and Energy Studies , Dehradun||Graduation + GATE||INR 2,44,000|
|Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeethnam, Coimbatore||Graduation+GATE +TANCET+PGCET+PGECET||INR 1,83,000|
|TERI University, New Delhi||Graduation + GATE||INR 230,000|
|School of Energy Studies ,University of Pune||Graduation + GATE||INR 60,625|
|IIT , Delhi||Graduation + GATE||INR 82,000|
See More: Top M.Tech Colleges in India
On the basis of popular opinion, IIT Bombay , NIT Trichy, NIT Hamirpur, University of Petroleum and Energy Studies Dehradun, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham Coimbatore are some of the best colleges for M.Tech with Renewable Energyin India.
- 21 high-paying careers for people who want to save the planet and also have job security. Green jobs in the renewable energy industry are seeing a spike in popularity , with plenty of lucrative roles expected to be in demand through 2026. Some jobs related to renewable energy can also pay six-figure salaries.
- Aspiring eligible candidates who possess strong analytical skills and want to study in energy production techniques in order to implement renewable energy working sector and are interested in research .
- Those students who have an aptitude for maths and science and should be able to apply these principles to solve problems.
- One of the top career opportunities , the renewables industry gives you the chance to contribute to the production of new, clean energy sources that are ultimately helping to improve energy effiency and reduce emissions.
What after M.Tech in Renewable Energy?
Candidates can find excellent job opportunities in consulting companies , manufacturing companies, engineering and construction companies , NGO’s steel and power based industries.
Graduates can also work as policy makers or research and development engineers in the public sector . Employment areas are photovoltaic cells area , solar energy sector , grid system area , power distribution area , solar panel manufacturing companies , wind energy sector and college and universities. Students can also go for higher studies like PHd and MS in renewable energy.
And regardless of the technology used to generate and store energy , there is a growing need to create systems that make efficient use of energy , meaning energy engineers will always be on high demand.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary (INR)|
|Energy Engineer||To research and develop and involve with the production of new energy through natural resources such as the extraction of oil and gas as well as form renewable or sustainable sources of energy.||4 to 15 Lacs|
|Renewable Energy Engineer||To increase the energy production of clean energy sources like wind and solar power.To monitor and develop alternative energy outputs.||4 to 8 Lacs|
|Green Building Engineer||To design and build a structure that is environmentally responsible and resource efficient and use less water, optimizes energy efficiency , conserve natural resources and provide healthier spaces for occupants as compared to a conventional building.||5 to 8 Lacs|
|Water Network Planning Engineer||To effectively plan and design water distribution network considering a wide range of uncertainties regarding future conditions.||3 to 6 Lacs|
|Lecturer/Professor||To teach at undergraduate and graduate level in areas related to renewable energy and other topics which is allocated and reviewed time to time by the Head of the Department.||3 to 7 lacs|
What is the difference between M.Tech (Renewable Energy) vs M.Tech (Electronics and communication engineering)?
All these degrees may sound similar. But these are different courses. Below is mentioned the comparison of all these courses:
|Parameters||M.Tech (Renewable Energy)||M.Tech (Electronics and communication engineering)|
|Brief Explanation||The program aims to give students real world technical expertise in strategic renewable energy disciplines as well as depth understanding in various fields such as solar , wind energy , biogas & biomass etc.||Depth theoretical and practical knowledge of digital electronics and communication concepts such as Transmitter, receivers, Integrated circuits.|
|Duration||4 years||4 years|
|Eligibility||12th pass with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as main subjects with an average aggregate of 50%- 55%.||12th pass with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as main subjects with an average aggregate of 50% - 55%.|
|Admission process||Entrance followed by Counseling||Entrance followed by Counseling|
|Top colleges||IIT Bombay , NIT Trichy, NIT Hamirpur, University of Petroleum and Energy Studies Dehradun, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeethnam Coimbatore||IIT Delhi, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Kanpur, NIT Trichy, IIT BHU|
|Job roles||Energy Engineer , Renewable Energy Engineer , Technical Product Manager , Green Building Engineer , Water Network Planner Engineer , Professor etc||Software engineer
Junior Software engineer
|Average fees||INR 2 Lakhs- INR 12 Lakhs||INR 1 Lakhs – 5 Lakhs|
|Average salary||INR 3 Lakhs- 15 Lakhs||INR 3.5 Lakhs- INR 4.4 Lakhs|
|Top recruiting companies||IT agencies, MNCs, consultancies, biotechs.||TCS, Wipro, DXC, Syntel, Hexaware, Capgemini, Infosys|
M.Tech in Renewable Energy FAQs
Ques. Is the entrance exam mandatory in M.Tech (Renewable Energy)?
Ans. Yes, the Entrance Test is mandatory for admission in M.Tech (Renewable Energy.Merit marks
The candidate is also important.
Ques. What is the duration of M.Tech in Renewable Energy ?
Ans: The duration of the course is 2 years as it is an post graduate course which is further divided into 4 semesters.
Ques. Is there any entrance exam for M.Tech in Renewable Energy ?
Ans: Yes . There are few entrance exams that are conducted by various institutes you wish to take admission in M.Tech in Renewable Energy . Some of them are GATE , TANCET , UPSEE etc.
Ques. What is the work of a Renewable Energy Engineer ?
Ans: The role of a renewable energy engineer is to increase the energy production of clean energy sources like wind and solar power.To monitor and develop alternative energy outputs.
Ques. Is M.Tech in Renewable Energy considered a good career opportunity ?
Ans. Every course has its own value . You should choose it according to your interest.
And regardless of the technology used to generate and store energy , there is a growning need to create systems that make efficient use of energy , meaning energy engineer will always be on high demand.
Ques. Which college ranks on the top for M.Tech in Renewable Energy according to India today’s ranking list ?
Ans: IIT , Bombay ranks on the first place for M.Tech in Renewable Energy according to 2020 list of India’s Today.
Ques. What are the job opportunities after pursuing M.Tech in Renewable Energy ?
Ans: Some of the job opportunities are Renewable Energy Engineer , Lecturer , Water networking planning engineer , Green Building Engineer etc
Ques: Is it a distance learning mode course ?
Ans: No. It is a full time course of 2 years including 4 semesters.
Ques. Why to choose M.Tech in Renewable Energy as a career option ?
Ans: Aspiring eligible candidates who possess strong analytical skills and want to study in energy production techniques in order to implement renewable energy working sector and are interested in research . One of the top career opportunities , the renewable industry gives you the chance to contribute to the production of new , clean energy sources that are ultimately helping to improve energy effiency and reduce emissions.
Ques. Do all college follow same syllabus pattern M.Tech (Renewable Energy)
Ans. No, the syllabus is different in different colleges. But the core concept remains the same.