PhD Microbiology is a 3-5 years long doctorate course which aims to provide eligible candidates with research training in various topics of Microbiology. This course basically deals with an advanced study of microorganisms which are microscopic, unicellular and cell-cluster organisms.
In order to be eligible for PhD Microbiology course, candidates must hold a Postgraduate degree in relevant discipline with an aggregate of at least 55% marks. Many colleges demand for an experience of five years or more in the field of Microbiology.
The admission to PhD Microbiology course is generally based on marks scored by candidates in Entrance Exams. But, there are few colleges which grant merit based admissions also. Some of the most popular PhD Microbiology entrance exams are GATE, UGC-NET, CSIR-UGC-NET, etc.
Some of the top institutes offering PhD Microbiology course are provided in the table given below:
|NIRF Ranking 2020||Name of the College/ University||Admission Process||Average annual fees||Average placement package|
|10||Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi||Entrance-Based||INR 8,368||INR 12,00,000|
|11||University of Calcutta, Kolkata||Merit + Interview||INR 4,400||INR 11,85,000|
|15||University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad||Merit + Interview||INR 11,210||INR 15,41,000|
|43||Vels Institute of Science, Technology and Advanced Studies, Chennai||Entrance-Based||INR 46,000||INR 8,80,000|
|49||Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam||Merit + Interview||INR 33,200||INR 9,70,000|
The average annual program fee for PhD Microbiology courses in India ranges between INR 2,000 and INR 8,00,000, depending on the institute offering the program.
After completing this course, students will be able to find jobs in Food Industry, Development Laboratories, Colleges and Universities as a Technical Specialist, Medical Technologist, Laboratory Scientist, Lecturer and numerous others.
|Top PhD Microbiology Colleges in Kerala||Top Microbiology Colleges in West Bengal||Top PhD Microbiology Colleges in Tamil Nadu|
The average annual starting salary offered to PhD (Microbiology) degree holders in India range between INR 8,00,000 and INR 16,00,000, depending on the candidate's expertise in the field.
After completing PhD Microbiology, candidates can choose to go for further research. They can publish their own research papers. These candidates will be eligible for a DSc degree in the relevant field, if they have minimum 4-5 years of research experience after their PhD.
PhD Microbiology Admission Process
Most of the institutes and universities in India follow an entrance-based admission process for admission to PhD in Microbiology course. Top PhD colleges such as BHU etc. offer admission through entrances like UGC NET, CSIR (JRF), GATE etc.
The steps of the Entrance-Based Admission are provided below:
- Online Registration: Students are required to register for the entrance test through the official website of the conducting body.
- Filling up of application form: After creating the login id, candidates have to fill up the online application form by providing their personal and academic details.
- Uploading of documents: In this step, candidates have to upload the necessary documents such as photograph, signature, id proof, Class 10 and 12 certificates etc.
- Download Application Form: After paying the application fee, candidates have to save and download the form for future references.
- Issuing of Admit Card: Based on the record of the details submitted by the students, the admission authority will issue the admit cards to the eligible students.
- Declaration of Result: After the entrance exam, admission authorities will release the results of the entrance test they have appeared for.
- Group Discussion and Personal Interview: The selected candidates have to appear for further admission rounds such as group discussion and personal interview.
Merit-Based Admission – There are some institutes as well that offer admission to PhD Microbiology course based on the candidate's performance in the postgraduate examination followed by Group Discussion and Interview.
PhD Microbiology Eligibility Criteria
Students who wish to pursue PhD Microbiology course are required to follow the minimum eligibility criteria given below:
- The students must hold a postgraduate degree from a recognized university.
- The candidates must score an aggregate of at least 55% marks (50% for candidates belonging to SC/ ST category) in post graduation.
- They also must hold an experience of at least 5 years in teaching/ industry/ administrative etc.
PhD Microbiology Entrance Exams
Some of the top colleges and universities which offer this PhD Microbiology program conduct an entrance test for admission to this program.
With the help of these examinations, institutes/ universities will be able to test the student’s knowledge and ability on the basis of which the selection takes place.
We have described some of the most popular entrance exams for this course below.
- GATE: Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is managed by the IIT Council. It helps in acquiring admission to PG and PhD programs in Engineering, Technology, Biotechnology and other branches of science.
- UGC-NET: This Entrance Exam is run by the National Testing Agency (NTA) twice a year. It helps the students to get fellowships, getting selected for the post of Assistant Professors and also seeking admission to the PhD courses.
- GPAT: This exam is also conducted by NTA. GPAT score is accepted for enrollment in PG and PhD programs offered by all colleges approved by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE).
- UGC-CSIR-NET: It is a national-level exam conducted by National Testing Agency (NTA) to select candidates for the award of Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and for determining their eligibility for appointment as lecturers in Indian universities and colleges.
Some of the important dates related to these exams are given in the table below.
|Exams||Conducting Body||Registration Date*||Examination Date*||Mode of Examination|
|GATE 2021||IIT Council||From the 4th week of August, 2020 (tentative)||February 06-07, 2021||Online (CBT)|
|UGC-NET 2020||NTA||March 16 - June 30, 2020||To be announced||Online|
|CSIR UGC NET||NTA||March 16 - June 30, 2020||To be Announced||Online|
|GPAT 2020||NTA||First week of November, 2020 (tentative)||Fourth week of January, 2021 (tentative)||Online (CBT)|
How to Prepare for PhD Microbiology Entrance Exams?
Candidates are advised to keep the below mentioned points in mind to crack the entrance exams.
- Syllabus and question structure: The students must have a concrete idea about what to study and the type of questions to be asked in the examination. Most entrance tests have a duration of 2-3 hours and the questions given are of subjective type.
- Section-wise Preparation: Questions are mainly asked from the subjects to which candidate is seeking admission to. Therefore, the students should have a clear understanding of the subject.
- Previous Question Papers: Aspirants must not forget to study the previous year’s question paper in detail. This will help them to understand the type of questions asked in the examination.
- Time Management: This is the most important aspect of one’s preparation, so students are recommended to make a proper time table and follow the same strictly. They should also focus on practicing time-based papers.
How to Get Admission to a Good PhD Microbiology College?
- Since most colleges offer admission to PhD Microbiology program based on candidate’s performance in the qualifying examination i.e. M.Sc. Microbiology and professional experience, so it is very important to get a good score in the qualifying examination and also pursue suitable experience in the related field.
- It is also very important for students to be prepared both mentally and physically for further rounds after the entrance test i.e. counselling and interview. They need not to be stressed while preparing for the examination.
- Candidates are also advised to keep a track of all the important events related to the admission process so that they never miss any deadline.
- Aspirants are advised to practice as many sample papers and previous year question papers as they can in order to score really well in the entrance examination.
- Candidates should watch out for the best colleges to pursue the PhD course and move ahead with their preparation accordingly.
Check the full list of top PhD Microbiology Colleges in India.
PhD Microbiology: What is it about?
Some of the important points related to PhD Microbiology course are provided below:
- This program is designed in such a way as to provide eligible candidates with research training which is relevant to the current social and economic objectives of the country.
- Candidates admitted to this course are provided with training to write research reports, with an aim to augment student’s skills of data presented in graphical form.
- This program also covers aspects of the Biochemistry, Physiology and Genetics of Microorganisms.
- The course curriculum includes subjects such as Virology, Immunology, Molecular Biology, Recombinant DNA Technology, Microbial Genetics etc.
- The program is meant to prepare students for a prosperous career in the field of Microbiology.
PhD Microbiology Course Highlights
Some of the major highlights of the course are provided in the table given below:
|Duration of the Course||3 to 5 years|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||Postgraduate degree with an aggregate of at least 55% marks.|
|Admission Process||Entrance/ Merit-Based followed by Interview|
|Average Course Fee||INR 2,000 to INR 8,00,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 8,00,000 to INR 16,00,000|
|Top Job Areas||Colleges, Universities, Food Industry, Development Laboratories etc.|
|Top Job Positions||Laboratory Technologist, Technical Specialist, Medical Technologist, Laboratory Scientist, Lecturer etc.|
Why Study PhD Microbiology?
There are many benefits of pursuing a PhD Microbiology course. Some of them are:
- On completion of this course, students easily get high paid jobs such as Laboratory Scientist, Lecturer, Technical Specialist in govt. or private laboratories.
- If you are interested in research in the field of microorganisms and biology, then you should definitely look forward to pursuing this course.
- This sector involves a large number of research activities in the field of Microbiology. So, if you are curious and are always ready to discover something new, this course never disappoints you.
- Students can opt for jobs in numerous sectors such as Colleges, Universities, Food Industry, Development Laboratories etc.
- Handsome salary packages are offered with an average salary of INR 8-16 lakh per annum.
PhD Biotechnology vs PhD Microbiology
Both PhD Biotechnology and PhD Microbiology are specialized courses and are pretty popular among students. The basic difference between these two courses is provided in the table below:
|Parameters||PhD Biotechnology||PhD Microbiology|
|Qualification||Doctorate in Biotechnology||Doctorate in Microbiology|
|Course Overview||PhD in Biotechnology is a full-time research program which is of 3-year duration and is a more diverse field as compared to PhD Microbiology.||Doctorate in Microbiology is a full-time doctorate program the duration of which is 3 years and can be pursued after completing post graduation.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 20,000 to INR 1,50,000||INR 2,000 to INR 1,20,000|
|Duration||3 to 5 years||3 to 5 years|
|Eligibility Criteria||Post Graduation in relevant discipline.||Post Graduation in relevant discipline.|
|Admission Process||Merit-Based followed by Interview||Merit-Based followed by Interview|
|Top Colleges||Punjab University, Amity University, Lovely Professional University, Amity University etc.||Punjab University, Mahatma Gandhi University, Banaras Hindu University etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 7,00,000 to INR 20,00,000||INR 8,00,000 to INR 16,00,000|
|Top Job Areas||Colleges/ Universities, Research Laboratories etc.||Colleges/ Universities, Research Laboratories, Food Processing Units, Environmental Organizations etc.|
Source : College Websites
Also, go through the full list of top PhD Biotechnology Colleges in India.
PhD Microbiology Top Colleges
Some of the top colleges offering PhD Microbiology program are provided in the table given below:
|NIRF Ranking 2020||Name of the College/ University||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees|
|10||Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi||Entrance-Based||INR 8,368|
|11||University of Calcutta, Kolkata||Merit + Interview||INR 4,400|
|15||University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad||Merit + Interview||INR 11,210|
|43||Vels Institute of Science, Technology and Advanced Studies, Chennai||Entrance-Based||INR 46,000|
|44||Punjab University, Chandigarh||Merit + Interview||INR 15,667|
|49||Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam||Merit + Interview||INR 33,200|
|58||SRM Institute of Technology, Kanchipuram||Merit + Interview||INR 16,000|
|81||Pondicherry University, Pondicherry||Merit + Interview||INR 36,283|
|101-150||Utkal University, Bhubaneshwar||Merit + Interview||INR 9,500|
|101-150||Assam University, Silchar||Merit + Interview||INR 26,545|
Source : College Websites
PhD Microbiology College Comparison
The basic difference between the top institutes/universities offering PhD Microbiology program is provided in the table given below:
|Name of the College||Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam||Punjab University, Chandigarh||SRM Institute of Technology, Kanchipuram|
|Overview||Mahatma Gandhi University is a state university which is located in Kottayam, Kerala and is ranked among the top 50 universities across India.||Punjab University is a prestigious university which is situated in Punjab and offers a wide range of programs at the undergraduate, postgraduate and research level.||SRM Institute of Technology is one of the top ranked colleges in India with more than 20,000 students and over 2,600 faculty across all its campuses. This institute offers a large number of courses at the undergraduate, postgraduate and doctorate level courses in the field of Engineering, Management, Medicine, Health Sciences, Science and Humanities.|
|Location||Kottayam, Kerala||Chandigarh||Kanchipuram, Tamil Nadu|
|NIRF Ranking 2020||49||44||58|
|Eligibility Criteria||Hold a postgraduate degree in relevant discipline with an aggregate of at least 55% marks.||Hold a postgraduate degree in relevant discipline with an aggregate of at least 55% marks along with 5 year of experience in the relevant field.||Postgraduate degree from a recognized university.|
|Admission Process||Merit-Based followed by Interview||Merit-Based followed by Interview||Merit-Based followed by Interview|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 33,200||INR 15,667||INR 16,000|
|Average Salary Package||INR 9,70,000||INR 10,85,000||INR 12,15,000|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Pharmaceutical Industry, Food and Drink Industry, Healthcare Organizations etc.||Biotechnology Firms, Environmental Agencies, Food Processing Units, Research Laboratories etc.||Food Production Units, Research Laboratories, Research Organizations.|
Source : College Websites
PhD Microbiology Syllabus and Course Description
The PhD Microbiology course includes one year of compulsory coursework which is spread into two semesters. The detailed semester-wise syllabus of PhD Microbiology coursework program is provided in the table given below:
|Diversity of Prokaryotic Eukaryotic Microbes||Environmental microbiology Conservation|
|Microbial Physiology and Metabolism||Plant-Pathogen Interaction|
|Recombinant DNA Technology||__|
|Industrial and Food Microbiology|
After completing the coursework program, the students will have to present their research idea in front of the college faculty members. If the panel gets impressed, their research idea will get approved. In the next two to four years, the students will have to complete their research and submit the thesis in order to get their PhD degree.
PhD Microbiology Career Prospects
- Nowadays, Microbiologists are in huge demand in the field of Medical Research, Quality Control and the biotechnology industry.
- A large number of research scholars get jobs as researchers working in Universities, Pharmaceutical and Bioscience companies and institutes across India and Abroad.
- On completion of a PhD in Microbiology program, students can also move forward to laboratory-based careers in clinical or technical roles involving research.
- There are a large number of job opportunities for those who want to pursue their career in the field of Microbiology.
- Microbiologists will be able to find jobs in numerous sectors including government and private hospitals, food industries, research and development organizations, chemical industries and pharmaceutical industries.
- PhD Microbiology graduates can also opt for a career as a Laboratory Scientist and perform research for the betterment of the environment.
- The salary of PhD in Microbiology degree holders depends on various factors including qualification, experience and job profile.
Some of the popular professional jobs available to PhD Microbiology graduates along with the corresponding salaries are provided in the table given below:
|Job Position||Job Profile||Average Annual Salary|
|Agricultural and Food Scientist||The job role of an Agricultural and Food Scientist is to do research and find ways to enhance the productivity and well-being of people.||INR 9,20,000|
|Biochemists and Biophysicists||Biochemists and Biophysicists used to do research on physical aspects of living beings and related organic techniques such as cell improvement, development, heredity etc.||INR 10,44,000|
|Biological Technicians||The job of a Biological Technician is to enable biological and medicinal researchers to perform lab tests and other related investigations.||INR 8,78,000|
|Chemical Technicians||Chemical Technicians tend to apply complex instruments and ways in order to enable scientists to examine, create, produce and check substances and procedures.||INR 11,22,000|
|Epidemiologists||The job of an Epidemiologist is to research and find reasons for sickness and damage in the population. They look forward to minimizing the hazards and events of illnesses by their research and implementation of well-being strategies.||INR 14,88,000|
PhD Microbiology Future Scopes
On completion of a PhD Microbiology program, one can opt for a wide range of professions.
- With the help of PhD Microbiology degree, students will be able to make their career in the field of Microbiology as a Microbiologist, Bacteriologist, Virologist, Epidemiologist, Biological Technicians etc.
- There are several areas both in the private as well as in the public sector where a PhD Microbiology degree holder may start working.
- With this degree, students will be able to make their career in the research field and work as a Research Scientist in Microbiology.
- If you love to teach, you can also go for a teaching profession and work as a professor in a global university.
- This is one of the highest honorary degrees awarded to an individual who has contributed in the field of research. So, after getting this degree one can opt for some of the top positions in the global world or can also go for research work.
- After this course, the candidates can also earn a DSc degree provided they complete a minimum 4 to 5 years of research work after completing their PhD.
Some of the topmost career choices after completion of PhD Microbiology course are provided below:
- Professor: If you love to teach and share your knowledge with students, you can opt for a teaching job as a professor in universities across India or Abroad.
- Researcher: If you wish to contribute towards the betterment of the world, you can indulge yourself in the research work and work as a researcher.
PhD Microbiology FAQs
Ques. What can I do after PhD Microbiology?
Ans. On completion of PhD Microbiology program, you can opt for jobs as a Research Scientist, Epidemiologist or you can also opt for Research in Microbiology and other related fields.
Ques. Where can I pursue a PhD Microbiology program in India?
Ans. Some of the top universities and institutes offering PhD Microbiology program in India are provided below:
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Presidency College, Chennai
- Chandigarh University, Chandigarh
- NIMS University, Jaipur
- VELS institute of Science, Technology and Advanced
- Studies, Chennai
- Kuvempu University, Shimoga
Ques. Is PhD in Microbiology a good career option?
Ans. Yes; PhD in Microbiology is a good career option and is the highest qualification one can pursue in the concerned field. This degree also offers students a promising career with handsome salary packages.
Ques. What subjects are taught in PhD Microbiology courses?
Ans. The main subjects of study included in the PhD Microbiology curriculum are Virology, Immunology, and Molecular Biology etc.
Ques. How tough is the PhD Microbiology course?
Ans. PhD Microbiology course is not at all tough. If you have interest in Botany, Zoology, Microbiology and Life Sciences then it seems easy to you. Basically, it totally depends on your interest.
Ques. What are the eligibility criteria for admission to PhD Microbiology program?
Ans. Candidates must hold a postgraduate degree in relevant discipline with an aggregate of at least 55% marks to seek admission to PhD Microbiology course.
Ques. What is the duration of a PhD Microbiology course?
Ans. The duration of this course ranges from three to five years.
Ques. What are the admission criteria for a PhD Microbiology course?
Ans. Most of the universities/ institutes offer admission to PhD Microbiology programs based on the candidate's performance in the Postgraduate course.
Ques. When will the UGC NET 2020 examination be conducted?
Ans. The UGC NET 2020 June session is usually conducted in the month of June, but owing to this COVID-19 situation, the exam stands postponed to the month of August, 2020. However, this date is again tentative.