PhD Biotechnology is a Doctorate course in Biotechnology which generally takes 3-5 years to complete. In this course, students would have to study subjects like Research Methodology, Scientific Communication, Recent Trends in Biotechnology, etc.
Check the top Biotechnology Colleges in India.
A student who has completed Post Graduation in Biotechnology from a recognized University with minimum aggregate marks of 55% (for general category) or 50% (for SC, ST and OBC candidates) is eligible for this course.
Admission process for PhD Biotechnology is based on entrance exams like CSIR-UGC NET, UGC NET, GATE, etc. The colleges also conduct a group discussion and personal interview round after the entrance exams for the final shortlisting of candidates.
The average fees for pursuing PhD Biotechnology is INR 50,000 to INR 4,00,000 and the fees may vary from college to college.
Many top colleges offer this course. Some of the top PhD Biotechnology colleges have been tabulated in the table below.
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College Name||Location||Admission Process||Fee Structure||Average Salary Package|
|7||St. Xavier’s College||Kolkata||Entrance based||INR 85,000||INR 5,50,000|
|59||St. Xavier’s College||Ahmedabad||Entrance Based||INR 80,000||INR 2,61,000|
|64||Stella Maris College||Chennai||Entrance Based||INR 2,000||INR 2,30,000|
|78||Women’s Christian College||Chennai||Entrance Based||INR 48,200||INR 2,00,000|
|101-150||DAV College||Chandigarh||Entrance Based||INR 9,425||INR 2,13,000|
During this course, the candidates will have to perform research in one of the major Biotechnology topics which include Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics and Biostatistics, Protein Biotechnology, Genomics, etc.
The job roles available after completing PhD in Biotechnology are Assistant Professor in Biotechnology, Biochemist, Medical Scientist, Microbiologist, Biomanufacturing Specialist, Product manager, Medical Communication Specialist, etc.
The average starting salary for PhD Biotechnology candidates is INR 4,00,000 - 20,00,000.
After Phd in Biotechnology, the candidates can do research work, or they can be recruited as a professor in many prestigious institutes like IITs, NITs & others. They can also earn a DSc degree in related fields after completing a minimum research period of 4-5 years.
PhD Biotechnology Admission Process
- Admission to the PhD Biotechnology will be done according to the marks scored in the entrance examination.
- Some of the most popular PhD Biotechnology Entrance Exams are UGC NET, CSIR UGC NET, etc.
- GATE/GPAT qualified candidates will also be considered for admission to the course. They will not have to appear for any entrance exam.
The stepwise admission process is briefly discussed below:
- Step 1: Application: The first step of the admission process is filling up the application form. Once you have successfully submitted the application form, you may proceed with the further steps of the admission process.
- Step 2: Entrance Exam: Most of the universities accept students based on the marks scored by them in the entrance test. The cut-off for the entrance test is determined by the college authorities.
- Step 3: Group Discussion and Personal Interview: Some colleges also conduct a personal interview. The candidates will be shortlisted based on their performance in the interview.
- Step 4: Enrollment: The final stage of the admission process is getting admitted to the college. For that, they need to submit all the required documents and pay the admission charges.
Check the full list of PhD entrance exams in India.
PhD Biotechnology Eligibility Criteria
- The candidates must complete their post-graduation in Biotechnology or Bioinformatics or any other relevant discipline from a recognized board or university.
- Minimum 50% - 55% aggregate marks or 6.75 CGPA on a 10 point scale should be scored at the Post Graduation level to be eligible for this course.
- They should also clear the entrance exam like CSIR- UGC – NET, DBI JRF, ICMR JRF, etc.
- The candidate should be currently employed in the relevant field with a research experience of minimum 2 years.
PhD Biotechnology Entrance Exams
- CSIR- UGC – NET- It is a test conducted by the National Testing Agency on behalf of the council of scientific and industrial research (CSIR). The question paper contains 120 questions of 200 marks and is divided into 3 sections.
- JNUET- This exam is conducted by the National testing Agency on behalf of Jawaharlal Nehru University and this exam will be a computer based test and will be conducted online. The duration of this exam is 3 hours.
Some important dates regarding these entrance exams are summarised in the table below:
|Exam||Conducting Body||Examination Date||Application Date||Exam Mode|
|CSIR- UGC – NET||NTA||Postponed due to COVID-19||March 16 June 30, 2020||Online|
|ICMR JRF||PGIMER||July 12, 2020||May 16 - Jun 16, 2020||Offline|
|NIMHANS||NIMHANS||October 18, 2020||To be started in August 2020||Online|
|JNUET||NTA||Postponed due to COVID-19||March 2 - 31, 2020||Online|
How to prepare for the PhD Biotechnology entrance exam?
- Initially, you need to know the exact syllabus & pattern of the exam, and the syllabus is huge so try to start preparing yourself for the exam a few months before.
- You should make a list of subjects and prioritize them based on the marks allocated to them and after that create a timetable with the distribution of subjects and study the subjects according to the marks.
- You should follow a few good reference books for the preparation process. And after completing the syllabus of reference books you can solve maximum mock test papers to check whether your preparation is touching the optimum mark or not.
- At last, try to solve as many as PhD entrance exams of previous years as it will give you a clear idea about the difficulty level and how many times you should allot to the particular type of questions.
Some of the good reference books that can be used to prepare for these entrance exams are listed in the table below.
|Biochemistry & Molecular Biology of plants||Buchanan|
|Concepts & Experiments||Karp|
|Cell proliferation and apoptosis||Hughes & Mehnet|
|Molecular Cell Biology||Lodish|
|Cell & Molecular Biology||D. Robertis|
Check the GATE Cutoff 2020.
How to Get Admission in a Good PhD Biotechnology College?
These are a few important tips that you must keep in mind if you wish to be a part of a really good college:
- You should have a very good GPA or a very good percentage in your post-graduation that will help you to get admitted to a college of your choice.
- Be well-prepared for the entrance test. Try to attempt at least 70-80% questions correctly to be able to qualify the exam.
- If your university conducts an interview, then be prepared with the questions that you might face during the interview.
- Make sure that your application form does not have any mistakes. Otherwise, your application may get rejected during document verification.
- Keep an eye on the official website of the university for regular updates regarding the admission process.
PhD Biotechnology: What is it About?
- This course is a research-based doctoral course that revolves around topics like Biological Chemistry, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Analytical Techniques and Bioinformatics.
- Through this course, students learn and conduct research on how to produce new organic products by processing the pre-existing products through bioprocessing.
- This course will also train the students in biological techniques like cross-breeding, embryology, etc and their applications in real life.
- They can choose to work in various sectors like Medical Sector, Government Labs, Pharmaceutical Companies, Chemical Factories, Agricultural companies and many allied industries.
- The candidates will have to complete a research thesis on any of the relevant topics of their choice and submit it at the end of the course.
PhD Biotechnology Course Highlights
|Full-form||Doctorate of Philosophy in Biotechnology|
|Eligibility||Postgraduate degree in Biotechnology or Bioinformatics|
|Admission Process||On the basis of Entrance test.|
|Course Fee||INR 10,000 to INR 1,50,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3 LPA - INR 15 LPA|
|Job Positions||Professor, Biotechnical Researcher, Medical Coder, Associate Research Scientists, Biochemist, Medical Scientist, Microbiologist, Biomanufacturing Specialist, Product manager, Medical Communication Specialist, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Colleges & Universities, Medical Research Centres, Agriculture Sector, Pharmaceutical Industry, Research Centres, etc.|
|Top Companies||Wipro, Reliance, Ocimumbio, Jubilant Biosys, Tata Consultancy Services, IBM Life Sciences, Accelrys, BioMed Informatics|
Why Should You Study PhD Biotechnology?
- The possibilities in Biotechnology are immense. Whether it is in the medical field or agriculture, this technology has developed a lot in the coming time.
- Biotechnology has applications in many industries. Professions can choose to work for a variety of organizations, including government agencies, private companies, regulatory bodies, or clinical laboratories.
- The scope of this field is expected to increase in future. Just as there will be development in technology, there will be many employment opportunities in this field.
- The candidates will have multiple career options. Besides pursuing a career in Biotechnology, students can also make a career in the IT industry.
- The candidates can also turn entrepreneurs. This course gives you the ability to start your own research lab, you can become a professor in the universities and can become a research scientist as well.
PhD Biotechnology vs PhD Microbiology
Both Biotechnology and Microbiology are very similar streams which deal with experimentation with genomes and microorganisms. The main differences between PhD Biotechnology and PhD Microbiology have been discussed in the table below.
|Parameters||PhD Biotechnology||PhD Microbiology|
|Overview||Biotechnology involves topics like Human Genome Project, Biostatistics, DNA Sequencing etc. During this course, the candidates try to produce a new and improved product using biotechnological techniques.||PhD Microbiology deals with topics like in-vitro fertilisation, embryology, study of bacteria, protozoa and other microbes. It mainly involves the study of microorganisms to know about some new characters of these organisms.|
|Eligibility||Minimum 50% - 55% aggregate marks or 6.75 CGPA on a 10 point scale should be scored at the Post Graduation level to be eligible for this course.||Minimum 50% - 55% aggregate marks should be scored at the Post Graduation level to be eligible for this course.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based||Entrance Based|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 10,000 to INR 1,50,000||INR 20,000 to INR 1,50,000|
|Job Roles||Biotechnologist, Biochemist, Biochemical Researcher, etc.||Microbiologists, Embryologist, Bacterial Researchers, Pharmaceutical Researchers, etc.|
|Average Placement Package||INR 4 - 20 LPA||INR 3 - 15 LPA|
|Recruiting Areas||Automobiles, Ecommerce, FMCG, Healthcare, Insurance, Oil & Gas, Infrastructure, Aviation, Agriculture and Allied industries, Steel, Textiles, Roads, etc.||Food, Beverage industry, Chemical, Aromatic amino acids and Pharmaceutical industries etc.|
Also, check the full list of top PhD Microbiology Colleges in India.
Source: College Websites
PhD Biotechnology Top Colleges
Many reputed colleges in India provide PhD Biotechnology courses. The top colleges providing this course according to India Today Ranking Survey 2019 have been given in the table below.
|India Today 2019 Ranking||College Name||Location||Average Annual Fees|
|9||Stella Maris College||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||INR 2,000|
|13||Women’s Christian College||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||INR 48,200|
|16||Mount Carmel College||Bangalore, Karnataka||NA|
|20||St. Xavier’s College||Ahmedabad, Gujarat||INR 80,000|
|27||Kishinchand Chellaram College||Mumbai, Maharashtra||NA|
|33||DAV College||Chandigarh||INR 9,425|
|40||Maharani Lakshmi Ammanni College for Women||Bangalore, Karnataka||INR 44,000|
|45||Bishop Heber College||Tiruchirappalli, Kerala||INR 30,000|
|55||Ramaniranjan jhunjhunwala College||Mumbai, Maharashtra||INR 12,000|
|69||Jaipur National University||Jaipur, Rajasthan||INR 1,26,000|
Source: College Websites
The three most reputed universities offering this course have been compared in the table below.
|Parameters||Chandigarh University||Jaipur National University||Barkatullah University|
|Overview||Chandigarh University is one of the youngest universities to be ranked consistently by the NIRF Ranking surveys. The university is a private deemed university providing undergraduate, postgraduate and doctorate level courses in both classroom and distance mode.||Jaipur National University was established in 2007. The University offers interdisciplinary programs in both traditional and distance mode. The University was ranked among the top institutes in India in 2019 by India Today group.||Originally known as the University of Bhopal and more informally as Bhopal University, it was renamed in 1988 after the great freedom fighter Prof. Barkatullah, who was born in the area. It is the main university of the capital city and provides degrees to most of the non-technical colleges in and around Bhopal|
|Ranking||NIRF 2020 - 84 Jagran Josh 2020 - 27||India Today 2019 - 69||---|
|Admission Process||Entrance based||Merit based and Interview||Merit and Entrance|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 85,000||INR 1,08,000||INR 30,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 7 LPA||INR 4 LPA||INR 4 LPA|
|Top Recruiters||HP, Samsung, ITC, JSW, Videocon, ICICI, Bajaj, Wipro,||Wipro, SAP, Oberois Group, Patanjali, Intecons, Bosch Ltd.||DRDO, NTPC, Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited.|
Source: College Websites
PhD Biotechnology Distance Education
- The duration for the distance learning of PhD Biotechnology is 2-3 years.
- The candidate seeking admission to the course should be Post Graduate in Biotechnology.
- Top recruiting companies of Distance learning colleges are SAMSUNG, Intel, Flipkart, Cisco, Microsoft, TATA Motors, Wipro, NIIT etc.
Some of the top colleges providing this course in distance mode are given in the table below.
|NIRF 2020 Ranking||College Name||Location||Average Course Fees||Duration|
|2||Jawaharlal Nehru University||New Delhi||INR 20,000-40,000||2 years|
|99||Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||INR 2,32,000||2 years|
|__||TERI University: Environmental and sustainability University||New Delhi||INR 90,000||3 years|
Check the Admission process of LPU in detail.
PhD Biotechnology Syllabus
During this course, the candidate will have to conduct research in any one of the subtopics given below.
|Molecular Biology||Studying and researching the structure of Proteins, DNA, RNA and other Macro-Biomolecules. The researchers may also look to discover a new kind of biomolecule through this study.|
|Bioinformatics and Biostatistics||This field involves the application of Information Technology and Data Science in order to properly analyse various genetic molecules. This branch is also used for genetic analysis.|
|Statistics and Probability Theory||This is a bit of Mathematical field involving all the important theories of Statistics and Probability and their applications in the field of Biotechnology.|
|Protein Biotechnology||Studying the structure, types, function, and everything related to proteins in detail.|
|Electrophoresis and DNA Sequencing||Researchers will gain a hand-on experience in Gel Electrophoresis, DNA Extraction and DNA Sequencing.|
|Genomics||This field will revolve around the study of types of genes present in different organisms, their mapping, and the Human Genome Project.|
|Critical Review on the Research Conducted||The University authorities and faculty members will review the Research conducted by the researchers. The researchers will have to present their research in detail in front of them.|
|A Research Review Report||After the critical review, a research review report will be prepared by the researcher which needs to be submitted at the end of the course.|
|Viva - Voce||The researchers will have to appear for Viva-Voce on the research conducted by them.|
PhD Biotechnology Job Profiles and Career Prospects
The candidates after completing PhD in Biotechnology generally work as Assistant Professor in Biotechnology, Biochemist, Medical Scientist, Microbiologist, Biomanufacturing Specialist, Product manager, Medical Communication Specialist, etc.
Some of the top job profiles have been described in the table below.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Business Development Manager||Business development managers provide detailed market analysis and help with competitive intelligence to help biotechnology companies formulate and execute growth and investment strategies.||INR 6,01,685|
|Process Development Scientists||Process development scientists oversee the manufacturing process in an organization’s lab, looking for ways to increase quality and efficiency.||INR 3,56,967|
|Biochemist||Biochemists study the chemical properties of living things and biological processes, such as cell development, cell growth etc. they conduct complex research projects. They also research the effects of oranges, hormones, biological processes to develop products and processes that may improve human health.||INR 4,80,000|
|Biological/ Clinical Technician||These technicians use lab instruments, advanced robotics, specialized computer software, and automed equipment to collect, analyze, and model experiment data.||INR 4,58,600|
|Microbiologist||Microbiologists study microorganisms such as bacteria, viruses, algae, fungi, and some type of parasites. They try to understand how these organisms live, grow and interact with their environment.||INR 3,11,461|
PhD Biotechnology Future Scope
- Biotechnology is a multidisciplinary pursuit that has emerged as a demanding industry during the recent past.
- Besides being a branch of advanced biological sciences, it has attracted many multinational companies.
- Nowadays there are various scopes after PhD Biotechnology like improvement of clinical testing and diagnostic tools, production of novel varieties of crop plants and animals, production of pharmaceutical products for the cure or control of many human diseases.
- PhD in Biotechnology students may teach in private or government schools and colleges. They may also become a part of the government and private research labs.
- If the candidates wish to go for further study, then they can go for a DSc degree in relevant disciplines. But, to be eligible for DSc, the candidates will have to do further research even after completing their PhD.
Check the full list of top DSc Colleges in India.
PhD Biotechnology FAQs
Ques. What is the eligibility for PhD Biotechnology?
Ans. Minimum 50%- 55% or 6.75 CGPA on a 10 point scale marks should be scored in Biotechnology or another relevant field at the Post Graduation level from a recognized university. And should clear the entrance exam like CSIR- UGC – NET, DBI JRF, ICMR JRF etc, conducted by the colleges.
Ques. What is the average salary of PhD Biotechnology?
Ans. The average starting salary you may get after completing PhD in Biotechnology is INR 4 to 20 L per annum.
Ques. Why should you choose Biotechnology as a career option?
Ans. Biotechnology has immense scope and its demands are expected to increase in future. Professions can choose to work for a variety of organizations, including government agencies, private companies, regulatory bodies, or clinical laboratories.
Ques. What kinds of jobs are available in the field of Biotechnology?
Ans. Some of the job profiles available for these candidates are:
- Business development manager
- Director of Product Strategy/ Commercialization
- Process development scientists
- Biomanufacturing specialists
- Biological/ Clinical technician
- Medical Scientist
Ques. How can I do a PhD in Biotechnology abroad?
Ans. There are many good universities, especially in the US and UK, which provide this course. But, to study this course abroad, you must qualify in English Proficiency tests like TOEFL and IELTS.
Ques. What kind of questions are asked in a PhD Biotechnology interview?
Ans. The interviewer will try to assess your research idea. So, have a clear idea about the research topic that you select, so that you can explain your research idea clearly.
Ques. Which countries will be best for studying PhD in Biotechnology?
Ans. USA, UK and Australia have many reputed colleges which provide PhD Biotechnology courses.
Ques. Will I have to qualify in any English Proficiency exam to study PhD Biotechnology abroad?
Ans. Yes, English Proficiency tests like IELTS, TOEFL, etc are compulsory for getting admission in good colleges abroad.