William Marsh Rice University is a private research university located in Houston, Texas, United States. The University was established in 1912 and is known for applied science programs in the field of artificial heart research, space science, structural chemical analysis and nanotechnology.
Rice University offers more than around 50 major courses and 24 minor courses along with special dual degree courses. The University is mostly known for the following courses:-
- Computer and information sciences
- Exercise science
Why Choose Rice University?
- Ranked among the top 20 universities in the US consistently.
- The University had endowment of $5.324 billion in 2016.
- It has very high level of research activity with $140.2 million in sponsored research funding in 2016.
- It was ranked first in the world in material science research by the Times Higher University (THE) in 2010.
- The university had produced many valuable alumni including twelve Rhodes scholars and 24 Marshal Scholars.
Rice University Programs, Faculty and Divisions
The institute offers more than 80 undergraduate majors across six divisions of study. The six schools are:
- The School of Architecture
- The George R. Brown School of Engineering
- The School of Humanities
- The Shepherd School of Music
- The Wiess School of Natural Sciences
- The School of Social Sciences
Campus Housing Facilities at the Rice University
Rice University is spread across 300 acres and is a tree lined campus in Houston. The campus of the university has been declared as most beautiful campus in The United States by Travel + Leisure in 2011.
Rice University offers housing to more than 72% of all students of the university.There are total 11 residential halls available and off campus residence assistance is also offered to the students.
Rice University Admission Process
Pre-Requisites for Admission into Rice University
- Official transcripts
- SAT/ACT scores (undergraduates) and GRE/GMAT scores (graduate applicants) Secondary school report (undergraduates)
- Three letters of recommendation (graduates)
- Statement of purpose (graduates)
- Resume/CV (graduates)
- IELTS/TOEFL scores (International applicants)
- Translated transcripts (International applicants)
- Financial Certification (undergraduate international applicants)
- Applicants can apply directly through the online application portal on the official website
- Both graduates and undergraduates can apply through same link
- Application deadline 1st January
- Application fee is $75
Rice University Cost of Attendance
The average estimated cost of attendance at the university is tabulated below:-
|Room and board||$14,850|
Rice University Scholarships, Bursaries and Financial Aids
- More than 38% students receive need based financial aid
- Average scholarship or grant award is $40,285
- $89.2 million was the total grant aid for Rice University for the year 2017-18.
Rice University Alumni Network
Rice University has produced numerous prominent alumni, including numerous Marshall Scholars and Rhode Scholars. Some of the alumni benefits are:-
- Travelling opportunities
- Alumni education plans
- Virtual engagement plans
List of Notable Alumni:
- Robert F. Curl. Jr- Co- discoverer of Fullerenes
- Candace Busshness- author of sex and the city.
- Robert Woodrow Wilson- Co-discoverer of cosmic microwave background radiation
- Alberto Gonzales – United States Attorney General
- Peggy Whitson- NASA astronaut