Georgia State University, USA: Rankings, Courses, Admissions 2021, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Established in 1913, Georgia State University is a public university in Atlanta, Georgia that operates through 6 campuses. The University is an urban institution and one of the four research universities of the University System of Georgia. It is accredited by “Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges”. The university is home to 54,000+ students. Around 3,000 international students representing 167 countries and territories add diversity to the student body.
Georgia State University offers admissions in several intakes of Fall, Spring and Summer round the year and observes an acceptance rate of nearly 57%, making it one of the moderately selective institutes. However, the organization also considers early admissions for its Fall intake which observes an acceptance rate of more than 99% and thus is highly recommended for all the international aspirants of the institute.
Georgia State University offers programs from the associate to doctoral levels. There are over 250 majors, minors and pathways in nearly 100 fields of study. The university has 12 academic schools and colleges. The College of Arts and Sciences is the largest college on the Atlanta campus and has an enrollment of more than 15,000 students. The university awards around 10,000+ degrees every year to the students.
Georgia State is at the top position among public universities for strong commitment to undergraduate teaching in the U.S. News and World Report 2021. It also ranks 3rd in most innovative universities, thereby proving its excellence among institutions of the U.S. education system.
It provides a dynamic and healthy culture which supports and encourages the all-round development of its candidates, hence making it one of the coveted institutes to study in the USA.
Georgia State University Rankings
The world rankings of Georgia State University are as follows:
- #751-800 in the World University Ranking by QS
- 401-500th in the World University Ranking 2021 by Times Higher Education
The rankings of the university in the U.S. are given below:
- #206 in National Universities by U.S. News and World Report 2021
- 501-600th in the U.S. College Rankings 2021 by Times Higher Education
Other rankings secured by the university in the U.S. News and World Report 2021 are:
- #3 in Best Undergraduate Teaching
- #3 in Most Innovative Schools
- #9 in Top Performers on Social Mobility
- #105 in Top Public Schools
- #4 in Insurance
- #9 in Management Information Systems
- #10 in Real Estate
- #5 in Learning Communities
- #6 in First-Year Experiences
|Application Mode||Online portal|
|Student Retention Rate||82%|
|Number of Schools||10|
|Total International Students||3,000+|
|Financial Aid||Scholarships, grants, and bursaries|
Top Programs in Georgia State University
- Georgia State University offers associate, bachelor's, master's and doctorate degrees as well as post baccalaureate and post-master’s certificate courses.
- Around 250+ degree programs are offered at Georgia State University in 100 fields of study at the main campus.
- The university also provides over 30 associate degree pathways across five campuses.
- Programs offered at the university are organized into 12 schools and colleges namely:
- Andrew Young School of Policy Studies
- Byrdine F. Lewis College of Nursing and Health Professions
- College of Arts and Sciences
- College of Arts
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Law
- Honors College
- Institute of Biomedical Sciences
- J. Mack Robinson College of Business
- Perimeter College
- School of Public Health
- The Graduate School
- Georgia State Online offers more than 75 online and hybrid program options from the associate to doctoral levels.
- Students can also choose from 72 study abroad programs that are offered in 45 countries.
- The popular undergraduate majors include biology and biomedical sciences, social sciences, business, management, marketing, psychology, computer and information sciences.
- The MS in Commercial Real Estate and MS in Information Systems offered by the J. Mack Robinson College of Business is ranked 7th and 8th respectively in the U.S. in the U.S. News and World Report.
- The School of Law is known for offering the #1 Health Law Program in the U.S.
- The Perimeter College has made its place in the top 20 colleges in the country offering two-year programs that serve as a pathway to higher education.
Georgia State University Campus
Georgia State University has 6 campuses spread over metro Atlanta with an extremely diverse student population. There are several opportunities available to students at the institute Georgia State throughout the year across its hundreds of student clubs and organizations.
The six campuses are namely, Alpharetta Campus, Clarkston Campus, Decatur Campus, Dunwoody Campus, Newton Campus and Online Campus some of which are discussed in details as follows:
Alpharetta Campus: is primarily for students who are interested in pursuing business courses or for someone who wants to earn college credits simultaneously with high school credits via Dual Enrollment. This campus also offers scientific courses like physics, biology, astronomy, computer science, mathematics, and chemistry.
Clarkston Campus: originally DeKalb College, is one of the most culturally diverse campuses in Georgia State University. It offers several activities from art exhibitions to concerts to theatrical productions, basically acting as a literary hub. It offers courses like nursing, business, sign language, fine arts, mathematics, science, and engineering.
Decatur Campus: is primarily known for its gorgeous scenery and the pedestrian trails, which attracts many people. One of its newer facilities includes the Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics Resource and Study center aka STEM resource and study center. It has a native botanical garden that is known internationally. It also houses a widely spread Student Services Center where students can resolve their grievances. There are several fitness facilities and outdoor classrooms too, on this campus.
Georgia State University Housing Facilities
The institute offers on-campus accommodation to its students across its 6 luxurious housing communities with several options so that you feel at home, as well as explore the bustling and rich city of Georgia. You can enroll in Living-Learning Communities aka LLCs, where you're teamed up with your fellow peers who share similar hobbies and passions.
The housing is gender-inclusive, which means an apartment can be occupied by anyone irrespective of sex, gender identity or expression. And you can also apply for selecting your room and roommate of your choice.
- The six housing communities are Patton Hall, Piedmont Central, Piedmont North, University Commons, University Lofts, and Greek Housing.
- All the resident rooms are provided with a cable TV with over 80 HD channels, plus all the residents can access high-speed internet service.
- There are various facilities provided in each community like study rooms on every floor, laundry rooms, community kitchens etc.
Georgia State University Application Process
Georgia State University invites applications in fall, spring and summer semesters. In fall 2019, it had an acceptance rate of 76%, indicating towards a moderately selective admission policy.
How to Apply?
The process and requirements for admission to Georgia State University are as follows:
Application Portal: Online Application
Application Fee: 60 USD
Application Deadlines: The application deadlines for international students are:
|Fall||November 16 (Priority deadline)
March 1 (Scholarship deadline)
May 1 (Regular deadline)
Admission Requirements: The requirements for admission to the university are as follows:
- Completed application form and application fee
- Self-reported ACT and SAT scores (for international freshmen)
- Official high school/ college transcripts
- Proof of English language proficiency
- GMAT/ GRE/ MAT/ LSAT/ MCAT or other test scores for graduate admissions
- Resume/ CV
- Statement of goals and writing sample
- Letters of recommendation
The minimum score requirements to demonstrate English proficiency are as follows:
Georgia State University Cost of Attendance
The university encourages its students to plan their expenses beforehand when looking to stay in a foreign land.To help with the same, an estimated budget for international students looking to study in the US by enrolling at the institute has been compiled as follows:
Fee for various programs offered by the university varies and the basic amount for various degrees is as follows:
- Undergraduate: 22, 389 USD
- Graduate:51,000 to 60,000 USD
- Associate: 8,632 USD
Cost of Living
Other expenses to be considered before applying to Georgia State uNiversity for the upcomings essional year are as tabulated below:
|Type of Expenditure||Cost (In USD)|
|Room and Board||8,868|
|Books and Supplies||1,228|
Georgia State University Scholarships/Financial Aid
- Financial aid is not available to international students at Georgia State University.
- There are a limited number of scholarships available for international students.
- Students willing to be considered for Georgia State Scholarships must apply for admission by November 15.
- Eligible students will be contacted by the university and invited to apply for scholarships.
- There are several scholarships for the international students like:-
|Presidential Scholarship||Exceptional incoming first-year students.||28,303 USD|
|Coca-Cola First Generation Scholarship||Awarded to students who neither had a parent nor sibling attend college.||5,000 USD per year|
|Merit Scholarships||Awarded to first-year students based on high school GPA, essay, academic rigor and letters of recommendation.||Second Century - 3000 USD
1913 Founders - 2000 USD
GSU Excellence - 1000 USD
GSU Achievement - 1000 USD
GSU Foundation - 500 USD
- Besides these scholarships, it offers many more similar types and allows the international students to ease their living and studying in the university.
- It also offers work study programs like the Federal work study program and Panther work program for the students and encourage them to work while studying.
Georgia State University Placements
- Employment opportunities for students and graduates of Georgia State University are abundant because of its location which is home to the third-most Fortune 500 companies among various U.S. cities.
- Programs offered by the J. Mack Robinson College of Business have remarkable placement opportunities. The placement data of some top programs are given in the table below:
|Program||Employment Rate (within 3 months from graduation)|
|MS in Data Science and Analytics||99%|
|MS in Information Systems||93%|
|MS in Finance||89%|
- Most of the students commonly complete at least one internship during their program duration. Some of the top companies offering internships include Volvo, IPG, Assurant, Redhat, Yik Yak, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, Cox Communications, etc.
- According to Emolument, the average salaries of the graduates and alumni as per the degree program is given below:
|Bachelor of Arts||55,000 USD|
|Bachelors of Science||61,000 USD|
|Masters in Finance||35,000 USD|
|Masters in Science||100,000 USD|
|Other masters||74,000 USD|
The University engages in organizing events and career fairs for the students' support that help them explore job opportunities in the U.S. It offers a variety of career resources and has a tie up with the Handshake portal wherein students can connect with 5000+ employers. Portfolium is another portal through which the students can find their jobs and internships through the many career posts posted on it.
Find a Program
Application Portal :https://admissions.gsu.edu/how-do-i-apply/common-application/
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
Times Higher Education
Ranked #401 - #500
Ranked #251 - #300
Ranked #301 - #400
Computer Science (International)
Ranked #251 - #300
Ranked #176 - #200
View More >>
QS World University
Ranked #751 - #800
Being a computer engineer I wanted to further my studies abroad and I chose the Georgia State University because I have my relatives who live there so I was ready to study here. And the duration of the course was only 20 months that would give me a job opportunity at a young age. The application fee was only $ 100 as I applied through the online mode.
Course Curriculum :
The curriculum contains a very broad syllabus for example language planning, maths / statistics, distributed computer, information systems and learning program program etc. With this there is an option to choose one specialty between Software Engineering, Big Data, Data Analytics, Machine Learning, High-Performance Computing, Mobile Application Development, Web Development, and Cloud Computing.
Most of my family are alumni of this university, so to continue the legacy, I decided to pursue my higher studies from here. Although it was not easy, I did my best. After securing a GPA of 8, I had to submit a common application form and paid $60.
Course Curriculum :
The Master of Interdisciplinary Studies in Biomedical Enterprise program equipped me to enter the biomedical enterprise workforce through its unique interdisciplinary coursework in science, law, and business, accompanied by interactive projects and internships. In partnership with the nationally-ranked J. Mack Robinson College of Business and the College of Law, this innovative program.
My friend went to study in the USA for her bachelors but I stayed behind as I didn't want to leave my family behind but after I completed my bachelors, it somehow grew on to to study abroad and grab the most opportunities possible and I decided to go. I didn't know much about this country, so I consulted my friend studying in the USA and she guided me to apply at GSU as she was also a student there and was very satisfied with the university. After being convinced by here, I applied here using the admission portal at the official website. I also had to pay an application fee of $60 for the process.
Course Curriculum :
The program helped me enhance general management abilities and provide an opportunity to place emphasis on one or more functional areas of expertise. Through the curriculum, I gained analytical skills for decision-making that incorporate global, ethical, and culturally diverse dimensions, skills in assessing organizational performance and developing approaches for improvement, leadership skills, and interpersonal skills that contribute to teamwork.
It was my fathers wish that me and my brother both study at the same university that my father graduated from as he knew that the value of a degree from this university is very high. Also, he told that the college days here were best days of his life and he also wanted us to have this experience. Both of us agreed as it's a well known public university and has a diverse community which'll help us fit right in the place. To apply here, we had to submit an online application form through the admission portal of common app. The application fee for the process was $60.
Course Curriculum :
Here, I'm receiving diverse, high-quality educational experiences that is preparing me for the exciting challenges of nursing in today’s health care environment. Through the curriculum, I'm learning the essentials of nursing care in the classroom and state-of-the-art simulation lab. Also, the program is preparing me to meet these challenges by ensuring that we receive superior classroom and clinical experience in order to graduate highly skilled, knowledgeable nurses capable of treating and advocating for patients in a diverse, complex health care system.
I got to know about this college via collegedunia website and their points made me a fine clarity to choose this college against other colleges. Fee structure, admission procedure all were too exact which made it easier for me to grab this fantastic opportunity. The application fee for the online submission was around $150.
Course Curriculum :
Here, the BBA is of 4years rather than of 3years and it is divided in 2 categories over there, first is the theoretical learning and the second one is practical experience. There are many opportunities provided by the college for you to get best of the best learning and experience so that we may survive in harsh conditions as well. I also got the opportunity to work part-time so that we can survive on our own, this also helped in making us' a better performer.
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
- Super Market
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary