Masters in hotel management in Australia is a 4-semester program and takes two years to complete. This degree focuses on skills required for handling various divisions of a hotel such as food and beverage services, front office operations, maintenance, housekeeping, client relations, etc. The average program fee of Australian universities offering masters in hotel management ranges between 23,000 AUD to 85,000 AUD.
- Bachelor's degree in any field or graduate certificate/diploma with relevant experience is required to get admission to a master's in hotel management in Australia.
- Students can work in the food, hospitality, tourism, and catering industry after completion of masters in hotel management from universities of Australia.
- The average salary of people employed in the food, hospitality, tourism and catering industry in Australia is 75,400 AUD per annum.
Table of Content
Why Study Hotel Management in Australia
With the rapid rate of ongoing globalization, the hotel industry is evolving tremendously all over the world. The market size of this industry has grown from 694 billion AUD in 2014 to 894 billion AUD in 2018. An increase in market size is creating more and more employment opportunities for hotel management graduates.
According to the 2019 reports by Cushman and Wakefield, the Hobart was Australia’s top-performing city in hotel industry with RevPAR (Revenue Per Available Room) growth of 8.4% in a year. The hotel management sector of Australia has grown tremendously over the past decade and it is expected to expand by 2023 to employ around 9,70,000 skilled professionals.
Universities offering Masters in Hotel Management in Australia
There are a number of universities in Australia offering various types of courses in hotel management such as diploma courses, certificate courses, and degree programs. The table below mentions some of the universities offering masters in hotel management along with their total program fees:
|University/College||Course Offered||Program Fee (in AUD)|
|Southern Cross University||Masters of International Tourism and Hotel Management.||$52,800|
|Torrens University||Masters in International Hotel Management.||$46,200|
|The Hotel School||Masters in International Hotel Management.||$30,000|
|Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School||Masters in International Hotel Management.||$23,100.|
|International College of Hotel management||Masters in International Hotel Management (Swiss hotel associates)||$46,380|
|University of Queensland||Masters of Tourism, Hotel and Event Management (Major in Hotel management)||$84,544|
|Griffith University||Masters in International Tourism and Hospitality Management.||$63,000|
Special courses in hotel management offered by the Australian institutes:
- The Hotel School: Graduate certificate in international tourism and hotel management.
- The University of Queensland: Graduate certificate in international tourism, Hotel and event management.
- Southern Cross University: Graduate certificate in international tourism and hotel management.
- International College of Hotel Management: Graduate certificate in international Hotel management.
Course Structure of Masters in Hotel Management in Australia
The curriculum of masters of hotel management in Australia is taught in 4 semesters. The course structure consists of various subjects, also known as units, which are divided as introductory-level subjects, intermediate level subjects and advanced level subjects. Students have to study certain core units and a few elective units.
The purpose of master's in hotel management programs is to prepare students for leadership and management roles in the hospitality and tourism industry. Some of the common subjects that students have to study in Australia are:
- Strategic Hotel management.
- Independent critical analysis.
- Hotel finance and revenue.
- Business research for hoteliers.
- Leadership for global managers.
- Accounts for a manager.
- International communication.
Admission Process of Masters in Hotel Management in Australia
Admissions for masters in hotel management in Australia usually start in February, June, and November. The application is accepted through online mode and students can apply on the official website of the respective universities.
While applying for masters in hotel management in Australia, the following documents are required:
- Results and mark sheets of the secondary school and undergraduate degree.
- English translation of non-English transcripts and documents
- IELTS score or equivalent as a proof of English language proficiency
University-Specific Eligibility Criteria
|University||Academic Requirement||Minimum IELTS Score Required|
|Southern Cross University||Minimum GPA of 4.0 on a scale of 7.0||6.5|
|Torrens University||Bachelor's degree or Postgraduate certificate/diploma with 3 years of managerial experience; Over 21 years of age||6.0|
|The Hotel School||Bachelor’s degree||6.5|
|Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School||Bachelor's degree or Postgraduate certificate/diploma with 3 years of managerial experience; Over 21 years of age||6.0|
|International College of Hotel Management||Bachelor’s degree or Graduate Certificate/Diploma||6.0|
|The University of Queensland||Bachelor’s degree in event, hospitality, hotel or tourism; Minimum GPA of 4.5||6.5|
|Griffith University||Minimum GPA of 4.0 in bachelor's degree||6.5|
Cost of Studying in Australia
Students, interested in studying abroad, have to bear the following types of expenses: pre-arrival costs, tuition fees; and cost of living.
Pre-arrival Costs: This includes application fee, visa registration fee, IELTS/TOEFL registration fee, airfare, health insurance charges, etc. A general estimate of pre-arrival cost is provided below:
|Type of Expenses||Cost (in AUD)|
|Application fees||$125 - $300|
|Australian Student Visa Fees||$575|
|IELTS application fees||$340|
|TOEFL application fees||$300|
|Airfare||$200 - $750.|
Tuition Fees of Masters in Hotel Management in Australia
Annual tuition fee of Australian universities offering masters degree in hotel management ranges between 15,000 AUD to 43,000 AUD. The University of Queensland has the highest tuition fee of 42,272 AUD per year while The Hotel School has the lowest annual tuition fee of 15,000 AUD.
Cost of Living
Cost of living in Australia can be broken down into the following expenses:
|Type of Expense||Cost (in AUD)|
|Accommodation||Homestay: $5,400 - $14,400; Students Hall: 440-1100; Rent of apartment- 750-1700|
|Food||$6,000 - $12,000|
|Transportation cost||$360 - $840|
|Internet||$840 - $1,440|
|Books and study materials||$6,000 - $12,000|
Scholarships for Masters in Hotel Management in Australia
Despite being one of the most expensive countries, Australia is still amongst the most preferable destination for students, all thanks to the number of scholarship schemes offered by the government as well as the universities. The scholarships can be available by domestic as well as international students on the basis of merit or needs.
Some of the scholarships available in Australia are provided below:
- Australian Awards- This is a government-funded scholarship that covers all the student expenses such as accommodation, transportation, 100% tuition fees, etc. The age of the student should be 18+ to be eligible for this scholarship.
- Destination Australian program- This scholarship is for domestic as well as international students. An award of 15,000 AUD is given to more than 1000 students every year.
- Griffith University:
- Griffith Remarkable Scholarship: This is awarded to students having exceptional academic records and are applying for an undergraduate or postgraduate course. The scholarship gives a 50% reduction in annual fees.
- Global Study Awards: This scholarship aims towards encouraging students from overseas to study at Griffith University and explore the culture and values of Australia. The amount of scholarship varies.
- The University of Queensland:
- Alfred and Olivia Wynne Memorial Scholarship: This is awarded to domestic as well as international students who have recently enrolled in the college. The amount of scholarship is around 3000 AUD per year and given on the basis of merit and financial needs of students.
- Neil Brice Memorial Fund- The scholarship can be availed by students who are financially unstable and the amount of the scholarship is approximately 1000 AUD. Domestic and international students are eligible to apply for this scheme.
- UQ Sports Scholarship Ambassador Program – This scholarship is awarded to students who are a part of a sports team at a national or international level. The amount of scholarship varies as per the needs of the athlete.
- Southern Cross University:
- Coffs Coast International Women's Day Female Postgraduate Scholarship- This is for female candidates enrolled in any post-graduate programs in the university. The value of the scholarship is 2,500 AUD for one year.
- International Advancement Scholarship- The scholarship is for any student enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate degree. The value of the scholarship is 8000 AUD. The amount will be reduced from the fees and will be given on the basis of academic records.
- Torrens University:
- Here to Educate: The scholarship offers a 20% reduction in the fees. It can be availed by international students only.
- Three Pillars Blue Mountains International Hotel Management Scholarship: This Scholarship can be availed only by international students enrolled in hotel management courses and the value of the scholarship is upto 30% of fees.
Job Prospects after Masters in Hotel Management in Australia
A master’s degree in hotel management can ensure a good job in Australia in the hospitality industry. A career in this sector also provides ample opportunities for traveling and working in different parts of the world which makes the sector even more diverse and interesting.
Basic Skills Required to become Hotel Manager
- Communication Skills- A manager is usually considered as the public face of the hotel. So, as a hotel manager, one needs to communicate extensively with staff, team members, customers, international clients, etc. Therefore, excellent communication skills are a must to handle the given responsibilities.
- Teamwork- A manager always works with the team and hence, it is important to know how to deal and corporate with people even during tough circumstances. It is a manager's responsibility to maintain integrity and professionalism in the industry.
- Good personality- This is one of the several prerequisites in the hotel management sector. A good personality is not about physical beauty, but about the character, confidence and ecstatic features. A smart looking professional is always admired.
- Personal grooming: Grooming is compulsory in all parts of the hospitality industry. Following the standard grooming requirements is a must. This includes proper dressing, well-structured hair, clean nails, etc. Every small detail matters in this sector. Being presentable is very important for a manager.
- General Aptitude and problem-solving skills- There will be situations where the manager must make quick decisions that needs a sharp mind and decent understanding abilities.
Glimpsing at the current scenario of substantial growth of tourism, the hotel industry is one of the best employment options. The main benefit of tourism is the generation of newer jobs and income. This is what makes the hotel management sector worth studying and investing. Moreover, for someone who is enthusiastic, creative, and extrovert, the hotel industry is the best place because no single day is the same and communication is the key.
Emphasizing on the opportunities, they are endless due to the fact that no country in the world is left out from the needs of good hotels, bars, pubs, and restaurants. Additionally, there will be uncountable opportunities for traveling and exploring the world.
Doing master's in hotel management furthermore opens the way towards entrepreneurship. Being said that, one can become their own boss. This is what most people yearn for. And not to forget, the income through business is always more impressive than that of a regular job. Accor, 8hotels collection, apex, etc. are some of the major hotel groups in Australia. Bachelor’s degree followed by a Masters's course brings many more career options.
Ques. What are some of the best universities for masters of hotel management in Australia?
Ans. Few popular universities offering masters in hotel management in Australia Southern Cross University, Torrens University, The Hotel School, Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School, International College of Hotel Management, University of Queensland and Griffith University.
Ques. What are the eligibility requirements for getting admission to a master's in hotel management in Australia?
Ans. Students are required to have a bachelor's degree or a certificate/diploma with a few years of relevant experience as a manager or supervisor for admission to hotel management in Australia.
Ques. How much does it cost to study masters of hotel management in Australia?
Ans. The total program fee of popular Australian universities ranges between 23,000 AUD to 85,000 AUD. The University of Queensland, which is one of the best universities in Australia, has an annual tuition fee of 42,272 AUD for masters in hotel management.
Ques. What are the job prospects of masters in hotel management in Australia?
Ans. Graduates of hotel management can work in the food, hospitality, tourism and catering industries. Employees of these industries earn an average salary of 75,400 USD per annum.