What is BCom Tourism and Travel Management?
BCom Tourism and Travel Management is a three year full-time undergraduate degree course designed to focus on the financial and economical management of travel and tourism industry.
The key subject areas covered under the BCom Tourism and Travel Management Course Curriculum are Business Communication, Corporate Accounting, Principles of Insurance, Holistic Development, Tourism Products, Tourism Marketing, Fundamentals of Hotel Management, Business Economics etc.
The basic eligibility for this course is a 10+2 (basic high secondary education) in a relevant field or any field such as science, arts, humanities and commerce. Candidates must have a minimum of 50% aggregate score in the course from a recognised board school.
Admission to the course is offered either on the basis of the score obtained by a candidate in an entrance exam or on merit basis. In merit-based selection, marks obtained by a candidate in the qualifying examinations are considered for offering admission into the course.
Future prospects of the course are in a variety of business and management fields such as finance, economics, hospitality, tourism, and many more sectors. BCom graduates have a vast variety of options in the areas such as: tourism companies, NGOs, Coaching Centres, Banking and Financial Institutions and much more.
Average fees for BCom Tourism and Travel Management varies between INR 7,000 and 2,00,000. Whereas average salary Offered is between INR 3,00,000 and 6,00,000 per annum.
BCom Tourism and Travel Management Course Highlights
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Commerce in Travel and Tourism Management|
|Eligibility||10+2 Examination cleared with minimum aggregate of 50%|
|Admission Process||Based on Performance in College Entrance/Interviews/Board Marks.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 30,000 to 2,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2,00,000 to 6,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Yatra, Cox and Kings Ltd., MakeMyTrip, Jet Airways, ClearTrip, SOTC India, TravelGuru, American Express Global Business Travels.|
|Job Positions||Travel Officer, Travel Executive, Airlines STaff/Manager, Tour Guide, Travel Agent, Tour Operator, Travel Writer etc.|
What is the BCom Tourism and Travel Management Admission Process?
Admission to this course is offered either on the basis of the score obtained by a candidate in an entrance exam or on merit basis. In merit-based selection, marks obtained by a candidate in the qualifying examinations are considered for offering admission into the course. The various steps involved in the admission process are given below.
- Submit the application to the colleges and universities you are interested in for admission.
- Perform well in the 10+2 examinations as the scores obtained in these form the basis of the entire admission process.
- In due course of time colleges release their cutoff lists. Check if you are eligible for admission into the desired course.
- If eligible, visit the college and submit all the required documents.
Entrance based selection
- Submit the application to the colleges and universities you are interested in for admission.
- Register for the entrance exams you will be required to qualify in order to make it the college of your choice.
- In order to be eligible for admission, one must score above the minimum qualifying score set by the respective college or university.
- In due course of time, the colleges and universities declare the result and release a merit list of finally shortlisted candidates on the basis of the score obtained in the written test.
- After the admission process, the final allotment of seats to the candidates take place and the candidate is required to deposit the course fee and register for the respective academic year.
What is the BCom Tourism and Travel Management Eligibility Criteria?
For candidates aspiring for admission in the above course require to meet the below eligibility criteria:
- Graduation from a school (CBSE/State/or any other board) at least 10+2 education or another such equivalent course.
- Candidates must get a minimum of 50% aggregate score in their 12th boards in order to take admission in any desired college.
- For any diploma/bachelors(distance learning) one must have passed 10th or 12th with 50% aggregate marks.
Which are the popular BCom Tourism and Travel Management Entrance Exams?
There are many national and state-level entrance exams to appear for the admission into the BCom Tourism and Travel Management program.
Some of the top entrance exams conducted in order to shortlist students for admission into this course are given below.
BHU UET: BHU UET is a national level entrance exam conducted by Banaras Hindu University for shortlisting candidates for providing admission into BSc, BA, BCom, BPEd, BEd, LLB, BPA, BVSc, BFA and another degree programs.
LPUNEST: LPUNEST is a university level entrance exam conducted by the Lovely Professional University. The exam is conducted for shortlisting students for providing admission into various courses like Engineering, Law and MBA. Besides admission, the exam is also considered for offering various scholarships.
The dates of application and examination for the above-mentioned examinations are mentioned in the table below.
|Entrance Exam||Application Period||Exam Date||Entrance Mode|
|BHU UET 2021||To be announced||To be announced||Online|
|LPUNEST 2021||First Week of January to March 20, 2021||March 20 to April 05, 2021||Online|
How to prepare for BCom Tourism and Travel Management entrance examinations?
Scoring well in an entrance exam is not a difficult task if one is well aware of the latest exam pattern. Hence, one should go through the previous year papers and perform a proper analysis of the exam pattern. Apart from this, one should do thorough research about the full syllabus of the entrance exam. Mainly there are four sections in almost all the entrance exams.
- General English
- Basic Maths
- General Aptitude and Logical Reasoning
- General Knowledge and Current Affairs
One can go through the points given below in order to perform well in any entrance exam.
- Generally, multiple-choice based questions are asked in the entrance exam. In some of the exams, negative marks are offered for every wrong answer. So, make sure you attempt only those questions which you are sure of.
- The exam pattern incorporates questions which are simple in nature. The questions are of basic 10+2 level. Hence one must focus on revising the basic concepts.
- Some entrance exams also have general knowledge and current affair questions. The questions asked under this section are about National and International Interests, Politics, Current Happening, Indian History etc.
- One must read newspapers and news articles daily to stay updated on the current affairs.
- Giving mock tests forms one of the most important parts of the whole preparation process. Once done with the syllabus, one must start taking mock tests. This helps one to get a taste of the type of questions which are usually asked in the exam. Taking around 10 to 15 mocks can help you perform really well in the entrance exam.
- On the exam day meditate for a while and stay calm and composed. Be confident about whatever you have studied.
How to get admission to a good BCom Tourism and Travel Management college?
The key to getting admission for a BCom Tourism and Travel Management course is to focus on the Examination scores both boards and college entrance. It is very important to work on communication skills as there are interviews. This is post crucial to admissions into top universities.
Apart from this, one must ensure that the required skills, passion and interest towards this field. For example, a BCom in Travel and Tourism Management really requires you to have:
- Strong Analytical Skills: The BCom Tourism and Travel Management requires candidates to have high problem solving skills as they have to deal with uncertainties. Therefore, the candidate's mind must be always aware and willing to understand and fill these analytical gaps.
- Attention to Detail: A strong sense of attention to detail is required when working with accounting and finance of travel and tourism as each project involves detailed planning and execution.
- Communication Skills: Students have to work with travellers/people/tourists from various places so it is very crucial for students to communicate appropriately. Most travel and tourism managers need to sell their services-hotel, rental, travel packages which requires them to have good communication and negotiation skills.
- Updated with the latest trends in the field: It is very important to be aware of most of the latest trends in the field due to the fast progression of technology in travel and tourism industries.
- Leadership and Management: In order to manage people one must understand and apply all management related duties and responsibilities.
These are the basic skills that are observed and looked for during counselling, general discussions and interviews where candidates must be able present these skills for successful admissions.
What is the Syllabus for BCom Tourism and Travel Management?
The detailed syllabus of BCom Tourism and Travel Management program is provided below:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Financial Accounting||Advanced Accounting|
|Methodology Perspective of Business Management||Fundamentals of Tourism Business|
|Principles of Tourism||Retail Management|
|Indian Financial System||Information and Cyber Laws|
|Language||Language II and English|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Financial Management||Hospitality Management|
|Tourism Marketing||Corporate Communication|
|Public Relations||Advanced Corporate Accounting|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Entrepreneurship Development||Management accounting and Applied Costing|
|International Business||Tourism Develo|
|Tour Operation Management||Auditing|
Which are the top BCom Tourism and Travel Management Colleges?
The table below shows the best BCom Tourism and Travel Management colleges and universities that offer the course in a full-time mode.
|India Today Ranking 2020||College/ University Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|5||Christ University, Bangalore||Based-on College Admission Committee decided cut-offs for 12th||INR 1,76,000||INR 5,60,000|
|33||St. Xaviers College, Mumbai||Based on College Admission Committee decided cut-offs for 12th||INR 31,800||INR 5,00,000|
|45||Chandigarh University, Chandigarh||Based-on College Admission Committee decided cut-offs for 12th||INR 96,000||INR 7,00,000|
|85||BSSS, Bhopal||Based on College Admission Committee decided cut-offs for 12th||INR 23,000||INR 3,00,000|
|__||Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune||Based on College Admission Committee decided cut-offs for 12th||INR 2,640||INR 4,00,000|
BCom Tourism and Travel Management College Comparison
The following table depicts the comparison made among the top three BCom Tourism and Travel Management Colleges in India.
|Overview||Christ University ,Banglore is an upcoming top ranked institution with good infrastructure and a rigorous holistic education||Chandigarh University is a university that has been ranked with top institutions and has good infrastructure and facilities for students|
|India Today Ranking 2020||3||45|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 2,45,000||INR 2,88,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4,00,000 to 6,00,000||INR 4,85,000|
|Placement Companies||Accenture, IBM,KPMG, Deloitte, EY||L&T, Dacon, Mahindra and Reliance Infrastructure|
BCom Tourism and Travel Management Vs BTTM
Both BCom Tourism and Travel Management and BTTM are bachelor level courses in the field of Travel and Tourism Management.
Also check top BTTM Colleges here.
The comparison between BCom Tourism and Travel Management and BTTM are as follows:
|Parameters||BCom Tourism and Travel Management||BTTM|
|Course Name||Bachelor of Communication in Travel and Tourism Management||Bachelor of Travel and Tourism Management|
|Duration||3 Years||4 Years|
|Focus Area||Travel and Tourism Management||Travel and Tourism Management|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance-Based||Entrance Test/Merit-Based|
|Eligibility Criteria||Passed Class 12 or equivalent from a recognized board||Passed Class 12 or equivalent from a recognized board|
|Average Courses Fees||INR 40,000-14,00,000||INR 50,000-10,00,000|
|Area Of Employment||NGOs, Religious Center, Travel & Tourism, Universities, Journalism, Madrasa, etc.||Institutes, Private Research Centers, Religious Centers, etc.|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4,00,000 to 8,00,000||INR 3,50,000 to 7,00,000|
What are the Future Scopes of BCom Tourism and Travel Management?
Over the past years, BCom Tourism and Travel Management course has become immensely popular among students. More and more students are pursuing this course. The course offers diverse career opportunities. This further affirms the immense popularity of the course among students. The most popular choices of education on completion of a BCom Tourism and Travel Management degree are as follows.
MTTM: If one wishes to continue in the same field of education, the first program of choice is a MTTM. It is a two-year course and the eligibility criteria include having a Bachelor’s degree in Travel and Tourism.
Check out the Top MTTM Colleges in India.
MBA: A large number of BCom graduates choose to go for the management route by choosing to pursue a PGDM or MBA course. Admissions are offered through a national level entrance test. Having a BCom degree together with an MBA in a specialization of choice is highly advantageous and many organizations actively search for such candidates.
Competitive examinations: Another route that graduates can go for is to prepare for competitive examinations. Examinations that are meant for job opportunities in Government sector organizations are most popular. Jobs in this sector are secure with assured high pay and regular increments.
What are Job Prospects and Career Options after BCom Tourism and Travel Management?
- The job prospects in BCom Tourism and Travel Management are very high. On completion of this course, the graduates are entitled to several jobs in public sectors such as Tourism Boards, State Commutation Services.
- The tourism industry is the third highest revenue-generating field in the country and hence there are countless opportunities.
- Job profiles Include that of assistant managers, hotel managers, and other officer level posts in travel and tourism.
- Most jobs are also associated with that of the financial, managerial of many industries specifically travel and tourism industry. In order to pursue a career in the tourism sector one must consider studying further such as a masters program.
Some of the popular jobs of BCom Tourism and Travel Management doctorates are mentioned below with their average salary packages.
|Job Profiles||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Travel and Tourism Operator||These operators play a crucial role with respect to interaction with their travellers/tourists as they need to take care of all the back-end work(travel arrangements/direct contact with their travellers).These included machines used for interaction with people and much more||INR 2,00,000 to 4,00,000|
|Travel Content Writer||Travel Content Writers tend to earn salaries by writing content/articles/reports in various travel-related publications, agencies, and websites. These travel writers work on several columns, writing as authors. Their key focus is transportation, historical destinations, cultural and ecological sites and much more.||INR 2,00,000 to 4,50,000|
|Tourism Trainer||Tourism Trainers work for travel companies to guide them. They also guide visitors’ bureaus and hotels. They work for a large number of contractors, cruise liners and any other employees. They make sure to guide these companies appropriately so that the right information, services are provided.||INR 3,00,000 to 4,85,000|
|Airline Manager||Airline managers tend to take care of customers(travellers) by overseeing the core airline operations. They basically want to make sure the entire process runs smoothly such: compliance with regulations and much more||INR 1,80,000 to 5,00,000|
|Hotel Manager||Hotel managers are responsible for managing employees with respect to planning, administering, marketing hotel services. These services include catering, accommodation and other hotel facilities.||INR 4,00,000 to 6,00,000|
|Travel Sales Consultant||Travel Sales Consultants are travel agents who usually get to this position while they have years of experience. They have to attain a certification through a trade organisation.They advise clients on interesting vacation destinations. They also handle airline, hotel, rental cars and other services for travellers||INR 2,00,000 to 3,25,000|
BCom Tourism and Travel Management FAQs
Ques. What is the scope of BCom in Tourism and Travel Management ?
Ans. There is a lot of scope after BCom Tourism and Travel Management. As per recent trends graduates in this field can enter hospitality and marketing management. Other career opportunities also include pursuing a masters degree.
Ques. Is BCom a good choice post high school?
Ans. Yes, BCom is a fundamental, theoretical-oriented and specialised degree (being in travel and tourism) which allows you to create a good grasp of the fundamental foundation you have studied so far. It definitely starts up your career opportunities/average pay.
Ques. What is the average salary after BCom in India?
Ans. The Average salary of BCom graduates in India varies between INR 3,00,000 to as high as 5,00,000 per annum.
Ques. Is there increased employability if I pursue a masters degree after BCom?
Ans. Definitely Yes. This is highly subjective though and may vary as per conditions in the market. A higher degree definitely has added benefits, more career advancements , more opportunities.
Ques. Is distance education in BCom Tourism and Travel Management worth it?
Ans. Well, it really depends on the individual's situation and then upon his/her grasping capacities. BCom Tourism and Travel Management does not have many distance learning courses in India.
Ques. Are there scholarships available for BCom Students?
Ans. Yes there are scholarships available for several courses including B.Com courses. However, this varies from college to college/university to university so you should check the college’s official website you want to apply to.
Ques. Can I apply for BCom if I am in the final year of another bachelor’s degree?
Ans. Yes you may apply as a final year bachelor’s student for any BCom program. Incase of queries check the criteria for application for desired university/college.
Ques. Is studying BCom from a private college good?
Ans. Yes, it is definitely beneficial to study BCom from private colleges. There are ample of placements and opportunities with private colleges, meritorious students end up doing really well with scholarships
Ques. Should I opt for government colleges or private colleges for BCom courses?
Ans. It depends on your personal choices. Government colleges have higher return on investments than most private colleges. Both types of colleges have almost equal opportunities for career advancement. Research well and choose colleges you think best suit your interests
Ques. What are the basic skills required to study BCom Tourism and Travel Management?
Ans. The three major skills required for any student who wants to pursue BCom Tourism and Travel Management are strong communication skills, leadership and management skills, interpersonal skills and good problem-solving skills in order to do well in this field.